Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Locked thread
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


The summer sun climbs the wide, cyan dome of the sky, observing the fishermen toil to drag their boats to the shore. They'll brine and salt their wares and sell them to the local trader, Thomas Threepence, and they'll accept whatever price he sets, because what else are they going to do? It has always been like this in Serra, and it seems unlikely that anything will change soon; especially considering that the most likely agents of change are about to either disappear into the night or be strung up by the kingsmen, once they arrive.

Your best hope of escaping the tightening noose of King Lucius' agents is joining the secret caravan of axemen that you've heard about. They couldn't possibly stop at Serra if they hadn't a sympathizer willing to hide them and provide them with supplies; but how are you going to identify this possible friend to your cause, without blowing their cover? And can you do that before the caravan leaves in three days' time?

You don't have much in the way of leads, but you do have some ideas:


Just pretend her skin is aquamarine; she's a rain troll.
Interrogate Greta the Tavernkeeper: All that passes for gossip in Serra eventually makes its way to the Frosty Barrel, the only tavern in town and the propriety of Greta Orrim. This no-nonsense woman has little patience for troublemakers such as you, and isn't much of a gossip anyway, but she's more soft-hearted than she pretends to be, and could easily have heard something.


Interrogate Hehu the stablehand: An Islander stable boy who barely makes a living tending to the few horses in the village, Hehu was the one that told you about the axemen caravan in the first place, when he was well into the cups. It stands to reason that he might know more about it, but he's a squirrely sort that is deeply terrorized of getting on the wrong side of the law.


Interrogate Thomas Threepence: While he certainly didn't earn his nickname for his generosity and charity, Thomas is probably the richest person in Serra, and his huge house would be a great place for two dozen rebels to hide in and get supplies from. And he does seem to envy the privileges that nobles enjoy...

Stalk the docks: The caravan could be made up of several ships navigating down the Grand Hilt Bay. If that were the case, then presumably they'd send someone to scout ahead and inform their sympathizer that they're on their way. If you could just find this scout...

Check in the forest: If, on the other hand, they are travelling by land, then they must have left tracks. You can't move so many people via land without leaving at least some signs of their passage behind. There's a small forest not far from Serra that would make an ideal hiding place for a large number of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature!

Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We!

Join Us at Paradise Lost!


Lord Cyprien double-checked the directions before knocking on the ramshackle fisherman's shack. A grouchy-looking man with a weather-bitten face and hard lines opened it, and did not seem pleased with Cyprien for knocking on his door. Cyprien smiled his most charming smile and greeted the man with the traditional greeting of the cult of the thunder-voiced god.

"Hello. I am Cyprien. And his voice rings within our souls."

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Tumur



Tumur tried to practice the Total Art. Was, is, must be. He was... over enthusiastic in his courtship, as the Angry God's priest had warned, and had broken some monstrous law of this land. He is in danger, had put his wife in danger, and now must flee. Two courses lay before him. The Axe Men, who would help smuggle him and the other Storm-Hearted away, or the Sea. He was confident that he could get away on his sailing canoe in the night, and flee back to his people. But if he could even convince Sarah to come, she would be in an alien land where she knew knowing. And he would be mocked as a failure and a love-cursed fool. So the Axe Men it was, if he could find them.

The boy knows something, and so Tumur sought him out. As far as Tumur could tell, he was of the Ri-Kadek, an allied people known for their delicious poison roots, but Tumur could not be sure. He lacked even a child's name tattoo, had not even earned the right to stand among his people, let alone be called a man, and his knowing of the Sea Tongue was weak. Tumur had not talked much with the boy, he brought shame on all who respected him. But today, Tumur would treat him as a man, for his knowledge carried the weight of an elder.

Tumur brought the nicest of the other Storm-Hearted. The smiling toymaker would help ease the boy's worries. The boy was a known coward. Would run like a rabbit if threatened. Another sign he was not truly one of the People. He should have harnessed his fear by now or drowned.

Tumur approached the boy in the open. He wore his armor, and held his great spear at his shoulder. To approach armed like this shows respect for the fearsomeness of the other man. Tumur squatted at a respectful distance, and shouted his intention in the Sea Tongue: "I have come to meet with a great man of wisdom, honor, and peace. Come forward and wear that man's face, or I will rip your eyes from you." This was the traditional greeting of high honor.

Hey, wait, where's he going?

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at Aug 24, 2017 around 18:17

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


Tumur and Eldred - Serra village square

The boy already looks twitchy before Tumur greets him; at the sight of the massive Islander, he freezes, eyes zipping around, worried; when he hears the man's words, he turns tail and runs through the square without a word. The town elders and gossips look on disapprovingly as the wayfinder and engineer run after him!

The chase is on! The first locale they'll be traversing is the village square itself, right after dawn. There aren't many people milling about, so it's a wide, open terrain. Doom is reduced by 1 for this first roll, down to 3!

Chase positions:
Rank 1: Hehu
Rank 3: Tumur and Eldred

Lord Cyprien - Salty Pete's hut.
The man leans outside, as if to make sure that no one's around, then he hisses. "And may his echo ring in our voices. Now, may I ask why a member of our esteemed nobility" He almost spits those words "is so interested in bothering an old man about his private business? It wasn't enough to send that fartcatcher sniffing around, was it?"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Tumur

As soon as Tumur grasps what was happening, he gives chase. That spineless eel! How dare he deal such an insult! His rage boils up and he shouts horrible curses for which there is no translation in the language of this soft land. In that moment, he really does want to rip out the boy's eyes, though that statement is usually just a formality.

He stumbles to his feet, and lumbers forward, the boy already shooting away. Tumur would chase him down and get that information from him, no matter what!

Used Violent Mastery Inspiration and got an 8 on intimidating shout.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature!

Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We!

Join Us at Paradise Lost!


Lord Cyprien

"Why don't we move inside to discuss that?" Asks Cyprien, and moves Inside with Salty Pete. The hut was small and cramped and smelt of salt and seafood, but Cyprien remained calm and as courteous as possible.
"I have come to seek your help, as a fellow follower of our great Lord. I apologize for the intrusion, but my options are limited. Rest assured that I will leave as soon as possible, but i fear my life is in danger. The problem is this: The King is sending Kingsmen through this village, and i fear they suspect me a heretic and traitor. I have heard rumors that a group might be leaving by night, and I am hoping that a fellow follower might help me," he said, spreading his hands deferently and amicably.

Rolling charisma and my 'true beliver' reputation for a social power attack that can be avoided by giving me the information i want. -
Getting a 3.
Using my Reverence for the thunder-voiced god inspiration to gain a bonus dice.
Gets a 4.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Milo dusts himself off, brushing the flour from his hands and unrolling his sleeves. With the hard work preparing the kitchen done for the morning - or at least done to the point where the Isa, first scullary maid could handle the rest - now is his chance to make a needed trip into town.

"Isa, take these loaves out when done, I'm going to make orders today." Seeing her dismayed look, Milo smiles reassuringly at her, "You can do it, I promise. Family lunch is set out in the larder, we've done everything together - no surprises. I'll be back for supper and family dinner. Get Torit to give you some of the better "ruined" cheese she keeps for herself for dinner. Don't forget to... "

Not enough time. Only three days to get out just wasnt enough warning. There was no way to get everyone ready before then, most would need to be left behind, but they'd be fine, lot of practice keeping their heads down.

"... and don't forget to give Gerard his usual tea, or he'll pass out during family lunch. You can do this. I promise." he finishes, nodding approvingly at the now steeled and ready gaze of his young protege. Hanging up his messy apron, Milo pats the aged hand of "chef" Gerard, a doddering relic kept alive on fish broth and tea strong enough for him to work up enough to "oversee" the upstairs serving of "his" food. Sweet, harmless old man. After a quick check on the milk maid - her butter was sweet as ever today - and quick note left on the desk of the housekeeper, the oldest and least missed horse carries him onwards towards town, and Greta.

I'll bet Greta knows something, even if she doesn't know yet. I also need to tell gran...

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL


Teresa Steiner


Teresa knew her time was running short in Serra. Her behavior since her father's death was turning the villagers against her for standing out too much. And her dreams were getting more intense, making it harder and harder to bury her emotions when she was awake. Soon enough someone would come looking for her. So she decided to go looking first.

The woods were a place Teresa knew well, having spent so much time in them alongside her father. His bow and her sword across her back, she was putting her tracking skills to use. The rumored axemen were either out here, or had passed through here. They were supposed to be working to make the world a better place. Well, they could start by making her world better.

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?


Eldred

"Tumur, my friend, aren't the eyes one of the parts that don't grow back? I think you should maybe have threatened to cut his hair instead!"

Having friends from many places was a good and wondrous thing, but the cultural clashes did pose a problem sometimes. Eldred took off after the boy as well, shouting after him as he ran.

"Wait up, boy! He was only being polite! Your eyes are in no danger from us, we just want to talk!"

Trying to keep pace and talk at him against effective doom 4. Charisma roll (1d6) with a result of 4 is a success.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


Tumur and Eldred - Streets of Serra

As the two of you chase down the springy young man, he crosses Serra's square in a flash, and starts darting down the streets. His breath is so short and ragged you'd swear his heart is about to explode out of his chest. Your words do reach him, and you see him hesitate, looking back for a fraction of a second; despite this, his early start has given him an head start.

The Doom for this chase is now 4 for you two, and 6 for Hehu. He failedh is roll, so he'll be losing a range increment next round.

Rank 1: Hehu
Rank 4: Tumur and Eldred

Lord Cyprien - Inside Salty Pete's hut

Salty Pete doesn't seem too happy to have the nobleman in his home,but he does let him in. He crosses his arms. "I don't rightly believe that I am in obligation of anything of the sort, young man. I pray to the Thunder-Voiced God in exchange for fair weather, not in the hopes of letting my neighbors pick up my slack." It's clear that that's a jab aimed at you.

Pete has lost 2 Mood from your earlier attack, and now attacks himself for 3. Remember to defend from that!

Milo - At the Frosty Barrel
The only tavern in Serra enjoys a monopoly of sorts on leisurely activities in the village. You can hear the sounds of merriment from outside as you stop in front of the place.

You make your way inside, where cheerful laborers spend what little they can set aside for such things in cheap beer and cider. Those that notice your arrival whisper to their neighbors; you strongly suspect that they are commenting on the imminent visit of the axemen, and what that's going to mean for you.

Greta is keeping an eye on the customers, to make sure they don't get too rowdy, and cleaning a mug with a cloth. She raises an eyebrow as you come in. "Well then! We don't see much of you around these parts, Master Ashenarms. What will you be having?" She rests her elbow on the counter, with an expression that says she knows exactly what he wants from her, but doesn't intend to comply.

Teresa - The Forest
Your keen eyes scan the forest floor, looking for clues of who might have passed through here. Judging from the way branches and plants have been broken or pushed aside, someonce certainly passed here. It's too little for a whole caravan, though... you're so focused on this that you don't hear the growling until they're too close to escape.


There used to be a wolf pack in these woods, the sons and daughters of these old veterans. But there wasn't enough prey in here for the lot of them, and the younglings left for richer pastures. Judging from their flat bellies and hungry eyes, things aren't going great for mother and father wolf. They might just be desperate enough to fight to the death, although their atavic cunning has guided them to surround you.

These wolves use the Claw/Claw/Bite style at apprentice level. Also, here's your positioning, in case it matters:

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Aug 25, 2017 around 19:56

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Tumur

The boy is fast on his feet. If nothing was done, he would escape. If he escaped, they might never find the Axe Men. If they never find the Axe Men, Sarah could be executed! Tumur dashes forward, his mind filled with the most terrible thing he could imagine. But his feet simply were not swift enough. The Ri-kajoor were not known for this, few people of the sea were. They soared on the wind. They... soared on the wind.

Rushing forward with sudden inspiration, Tumur vaults with his great spear unto a nearby roof. He seizes the huge fluttering banner of the fish-market and then makes great leaps from rooftop to rooftop, the cloth propelling him each time like a sail. One moment he's swinging from the lines between homes, another vaulting and then soaring over a courtyard. He laughs with delight, his rage abated, feeling blessed by Jebro's gift of the kind sea wind. He could do this. He could save his beloved. The boy didn't stand a chance, he lacked the wisdom of his people and the blessings of their gods. And he lacked the love of his live.

Stunting with True Love for Sarah: Quickness Maximized to 6, Heart to 8 against a Doom of 7.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature!

Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We!

Join Us at Paradise Lost!


Lord Cyprien

Lord Cyprien brushed off Pete's jab with a shrug fiddled with his shirt buttons as he
"I appologize for the imposition. It is not my intention to impose on you for long. You say that you pray to Him for fair weather; as do we all. But some of us..." And here, Cyprien took off his shirt, revealing his undershirt and his big tattoes, smelling of ozone and soot "Have been given, and taken, the blessings of the weather, and shared them. If you had asked me for fair weather, I would not have rebuked you, but bent the winds to your sail. All i ask for is your knowledge and your words. If you know nothing, tell me, and i will leave. But I find such unlikely."

Power attack w/ dramatic reaveal of tattoes. Rolling a 6.

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?


Eldred

"Running is not stopping, boy! You've got this all backwards! I... drat it!"

Well, when words failed, that was when it was time for numbers. Specifically, the number of feet traversed per second while running as hard as you possibly can!

Pushing it to catch up. Quickness (1d4) = 3 vs effective doom 5 fails, using inspiration (nature's laws) for a 1d6 = 6 (explodes to a 1d8 = 3). Success!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL


Teresa Steiner

Teresa draws the First Sword as the wolves circle, preparing for their attack. Memories and training not originally her own take hold, driving her to keep moving herself, making herself a more difficult target. The wolves circle, looking for an opening. There's a moment of tense anticipation.

And the wolves pounce. Teresa feints towards the wolf coming at her from behind, then hops back out of reach again, trying to draw it into overextending and unbalancing, but the wolf doesn't fall for it. Teresa quickly turns to follow that same wolf as both attack her at once, lashing out with her blade and dealing a bloody wound. She manages to fend off their attacks with the blade, armor, and some judicious kicks. They pull back as Teresa drops into a fighting crouch. But there's not even a heartbeat before they're on her again, the male trying to draw her attention with a feint towards her throat before snapping at her legs again.

Teresa wards off the bite with her sword, then turns face the real attack from the she-wolf. The exchange is swift and brutal, but the wolf's teeth find no purchase in the girl's flesh, while the First Sword finds its mark. The blade comes back stained red as the she-wolf collapses, throat laid open. Seeing his mate fall, the other wolf flees.

Breathing hard, blade still at the ready, Teresa scans the forest in case it's a trick, but the wolf does not return. After a few moments, she wipes the blood from the blade and sheathes it, then draws her knife. No reason to leave a decent wolf-pelt behind.

Played out combat on Discord. Teresa ends up spending 1 Mood to avoid taking one damage, but kills one wolf and drives off the other.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Aug 27, 2017 around 21:59

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


Lord Cyprien - Salty Pete's hut
The sailor makes a face at your words. His eye rests on your chest a bit longer than you'd expect. Is that an hint of a blush on his leathery face?
"Alright, enough already! It's not like what I do know is of much use anyway." He takes a sip of his trusty canteen, which most certainly does not contain water. "I don't make a habit of breaking bread with axemen. But I do know this: no ship of their is around for miles and miles. We travel pretty far to get fish nowadays, and we saw no trace of unknown boats."

Teresa - In the forest
Once the wolves beat an hasty retreat, Teresa has the time to really study the undergrowth and the secrets it reveals, for those with ears to listen. It takes her a while to figure out, for the traces are minimal, but there is no doubt: someone passed these woods recently, and that that someone has walked the woods almost as much as you have; they take great care to avoid leaving traces.

No one in Serra is this good of a hunter, except maybe you. Could this be a scout sent by the axemen?

Tumur and Eldred - The fish market

Hehu's stumble has cost him greatly; already he can see Eldred catching up to him, almost behind him, leaving behind a trail of dust. But wait a moment...where is Tumur?

A shadow passes over him, and as he raises his gaze, he sees the Islander fly towards him like a raptor catching a mice! He barely has time to have his eyes grow to the size of tea cups as the big man catches a hold of him.

"Please! Don't hurt me!"

Once he's made to calm down and it is made clear that he will not be harmed, the three of them walk away under the disapproving glares of the inhabitants of Serra.

"The other day, the boss told me to deliver Father Theo his horse, on accout that it's been shoe'd and all. I went to his church, but I couldn't find him! I couldn't very well leave a nice horse in front of the churchyard, with four new horseshoes on it 'n all. Someone might steal it, so I thought I'd bring it to the back, where there's a little fence with the stable. And in front of the fence, I found Father Theo talking with a shady ind'viduel! What's worse, that ind'viduel had a locket in the shape of an axe! Our own pastor, in league with the axeman! I c'n understand benig fr'strated with the nobility 'n all, but the axemen?"

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Aug 29, 2017 around 19:43

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Temur

Seeing as they're alone now and so it has little chance to come back to Sarah, Temur decides to be candid: "gently caress your 'nobility,' I fart in their mouths. We will be gone with these Axe Men before the fat, gold-clad fools and their dead-eyed slaves come for us."

Seeing the boy's eyes widen again with panic he sighs and takes him by the shoulder, "Why did you run? Fear is the wind of the heart, harness it, use it, and it will take you far. Let it master you, and it will send you to the deep. Even children know this. Do you know nothing?"

He looks longer into the boy's eyes, finally admitting what he had known all along, "you know nothing. You had no one to teach you. If you would be of the People, if you would master fear and have a thousand mothers, fathers, siblings, and children, then come with me and I will give you a child's name tattoo. If not, stay and be one of these judgemental pigs who scoff at life and wait for their culling."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL


Teresa Steiner

Teresa studies the traces of the scout - it must be a scout, for someone. Or a poacher, but that seems unlikely, the game is too thin. With her father gone, there's no one who lives in the area who was nearly as woodswise as this, save herself.

A hand on her sword, she set out to follow the trail.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Milo social combat

Milo orders a pint of the weakest of house ales, if for no reason but to do what is expected of him. "Ah Greta, nothing but to bask in your beauty and enjoy your lovely company" he starts , in the same vein of meeting expectations. The equally expected moment of silence as she continues to polish a spotless mug passes. He presses onward, "I've come to get a supply of your finest cider and ake for the Family. Have your suppliers been.. Short recently, of good or poor? We'll need a lot, you see"

The woman nods, and while she doesn't pay much mind to your compliments, she does write down eagerly your order, and you see something that might perhaps be a smile. She waves at an hand, dismissively. "Oh, I get my supplies regularly enough, thank the High God! It's hard enough making an honest living without sudden shortages or famines." You get the impression that she knows what really interests you, and she's tip-toeing around it.

"Of course, of course.." Milo replies, pausing to quaff deeply and think quickly. "Gerard -our Chef, you know- is always worried about being caught unprepared for guests and.." He leans in conspiratorially and continues sotto voce, "I've been hearing rumors that some guests might be coming in soon. Between us, nobles from the big city!"

Crafty Greta might not be able to resist correcting a piece of WRONG gossip, proving her superior knowledge of such things and the status implied.



"Guests!" Greta exclaims. "Your masters haven't entertained guests since I was a wee slip of a girl! What are you trying to pull here?"


"Not all guests are very entertaining, or at all welcome or invited! You know as good as I how nobles are with that kind of thing. Seems like something is going on, the whole town is getting itchy like kingsmen or tax takers are coming "


The woman, not at all impressed with your implications, punches the counter, attracting the attention of several patrons. "Aye, kingsmen! And they're darkening our doorstep because you and those like you wouldn't act like decent folks!"

There are sounds of assent from the patrons of the bar.


Regarding Greta with an even gaze, then looking out to blankly stare down the sudden audience clearly paying more attention to his life than their own business, Milo quietly but clearly audibly returns, "Decent? I work hard day in and day out to provide for my kin, just likke any decent man here. "


"But the rest of these decent men aren't going to drag the kingsmen into Serra!"

"What happens if the start picking up our children and throwing them in those horrible schools of theirs, uh?"

"Don't forget, they're my kin too." Milo snaps, though he manages to keep HIS voice down. He sighs and finishes his tankard. I didn't want to make a scene, but of course I should have known better coming here. "I'm not going to bring kingsmen to Serra, you know that if you stop and think about it. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't come for other reasons, which I think you also know."


She places both arms on the counter and fulminates you with a look. "Don't act all hoity toity just because you work for a noble now! Do you really think that they're coming here for Rufus here, or Zoey, or me? No! Because we're High God fearing people who don't go messing about with magic and its ilk!"


Milo snorts "I'm no gizzard wizard and you know it. They wouldn't be coming for any of us villagers because of magic but because they know that not one of us are their friends. Not like us both here, is from here. Don't act like you don't feel that sting, Greta. "

"You might not be a wizard, but you still tangle with powers that ought not to be touched! Everyone knows how much unsightly passion you put into your cooking! That's dangerous stuff, that's how giants are born!"


"That's not what you said last time I brought you a strawberry fairycake, Greta. What was it you said? 'Perfection on earth, better than...' Well, let's just leave that part out. You know you will miss me when I'm gone." Milo observes wryly.


Red-faced and irritated, Greta lets it slip, amidst a rain of words that we will not repeat for the sake of public decency, that perhaps you should join that bloody caravan once it comes from Ramhorn.

That's interesting because Ramhorn to the east. Far from the sea; which would mean that the caravan will be landbound.

[[presented without edits, outside cleaning ooc material]]

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


Teresa - The Forest

The trail is cold, but you are nothing if not persistent, and so you push through the vegetation, following the few clues that this person leaves behind. The light that filters through the forest's canopy is still bright, but the sun has advanced noticeably as you make your way through the thickest part of the forest.

Roll Perception.

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?


Eldred
While immensly proud of his own sprinting performance, Eldred is prouder still of his friend's athletic mastery. His advice, maybe not so much.

"Boy - Hehu, yes? - I think you should perhaps not get the tattoo. All men are still brothers, and all the world your family! Even if you have no ink on the skin!"

Ah, but it would do the boy good to come out of his shell a little...

"Still, friend Tumur is not wrong! Listen to your heart more often, not just when it says 'run'! Even when it says to fart in nobles' mouths, it is good to listen at least a little!"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


Tumur and Eldred - Fish Market

Hehu looks from one of you to the other. He sounds almost tempted by Tumur's offer...but then he notices how nasty are the looks thrown your way by the fisherfolks selling their wares. He shakes his head. "N-no, sorry. I c'n't do... that. I'd have nowhere to go, noth'n to earn me bread without the tips from folks with horses 'n such. And nobody tips troublemakers." He almost looks embarassed. "F'r what that's worth, I wish ye good luck!" And then he bolts away.

Your chase has earned you a reputation as troublemakers worth 4 amongst the people of Serra loyal to the crown.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Tumur

"You know less than him, to tell him that. All men are not brothers. The name tattoo bonds to a family by soul and responsibility. Even you do not treat that boy as your son, teaching him what he needs, sharing all you have, sharing punishment for his crimes and defending him against his enemies. He bears the marks of the world's 'kindness' to the unbound. Like he is less than an animal. You could see this if you were not blind. Let's go, the boy has chosen his course, and we must make our tide. We should meet with the Priest of the Angry God and then speak to his rival"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


Lord Cyprien, Tumur, Eldred - Outside Salty Pete's hut.

Forgot to mention: Tumur and Eldred both have a Reputation: Public nuisance 4 while in Serra now.
Having interrogated the old fisherman to his heart's content, the nobleman stepped outside of his hut, to see a tattooed Islander and a bright-eyed rain troll approaching him. All of you have reason to fear the arrival of the axemen, and some of them share a common faith, but is that enough to get you to trust each other?

Teresa - the Forest

You hear a voice behind you. "That's far enough, young lady."


The man has an arrow nocked, ready to shoot in case you make a false move, but he doesn't seem to want to hurt you, honestly. "You're far too close to the camp of Lady Rose Dalmirion, and she doesn't appreciate commoners poking their noses in her business when she's out hunting. If you want to scavenge berries, I have to ask you to go somewhere else." He seems almost apologetic. You've never heard of this lady before in your life.

"I'm sure you don't have bad intentions, but I have my orders."

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Sep 1, 2017 around 00:27

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Tumur

Tumur squats respectfully in front of Cyprien. He may not care for the worthless "nobles" of this land, who think they deserve respect for their father's deeds, as if all people were not born of the same Gods. But a Priest was something else. He speaks with the voice of a God, and so he must be respected. A priest of the Thousand Named God Whose Voice was Thunder was to be doubly feared, and never crossed.

"You sent a scout and your warning was heeded. Fair trade, knowing for knowing. The town's priest met with the Axe Men."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL


Teresa Steiner

Teresa eyes the man, standing up to her full, though not exactly considerable, height. "Never heard of any Lady Rose Dalmirion. And if she's hunting here, she's not much of one. There's not enough game here to feed a pair of wolves, let alone amuse some noble."

Did I manage to kill one of the wolves? If I did I wanted to take its pelt.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


Teresa - The Forest

Sure, you took the pelt before following the trail.

He grimaces. "Really? High God,she'll be such a pain now." He shakes his head. "She often travels far from her estate to hunt a variety of game. Variety is the spice of life, she says. She's not going to be happy to hear that there's not much game in these woods. Still, this doesn't change the fact that you need to leave."

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature!

Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We!

Join Us at Paradise Lost!


Lord Cyprien
Cyprien nods in response, and begins walking while he talks. "My sources here tell me that the axemen will not be appraoching across the sea. Should we approach this pastor, then, to gain his help? or offer our protection, perhaps, if others have heard of his dealings?"

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?


Eldred
"Aye, we should offer our friendship. But he may not be as eager to speak with us as we are to speak with him, yes? Secret societies, they are not so open to discuss with strangers!"

He knew that from first-hand experience, after all. The Axemen were very unlike the Itinerant Architects, but secrecy was a necessity for both.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Milo - Interlude

Leaving the Frosty Barrel with all due speed, Milo drops by the market square quickly to satisfy the supposed pretext for his village visit. With that work quickly disposed of, he stops briefly to consider his next errand - a trip to visit his 'dear grandmother', stout old fishmatron and family... Organizer. Tyrant?

From Ramhorn.. Well, first things first, let me tell gran before she hears from someone else.

[...]

Luckily she was not at home, as Milo hoped. His oblique path from the market seemed to have successfully sidestepped her route to buy the days fresh vegetables. A babysitting cousin left with a note scrawled on the back of a package scrap promised to pass word on, both to grab and to Eldred of he came by. Milo couldn't think of anyone else in the family in Serra who would need particular warning. Hopefully his cousin would already have an ear to the wind, but if not he must be warned to get ready.

Now what? Hopefully Eldred will get my note and meet me at dusk. Until then, I should make ready. If they're coming in caravan they'll need to use a road, I should figure out how to catch them coming. Possibly a yo...

Lost in his plotting, Milo collects his borrowed horse and sets off back through town towards the woods and his kitchen in the manor house beyond.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL


Teresa Steiner

"Fine, not going to get anything for my supper either," Teresa says with ill grace. "Some of the villagers come out here to gather berries and the like. No one living there knows the forest as well as I do, so try not to shoot them while you're hunting the squirrels."

With that, she backs off - for the moment. As soon as she thinks she's put enough distance between them, she'll go to ground and sneak her way back. These are her woods. And either this is a front put on by the axemen, or they'll want to know about a noble traveling with trackers nearby.

Think this will be a sneak scene if I can.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


Lord Cyprien, Tumur, Eldred - Father Theo's Church

Serra's church is near the edge of the village, a squat, simple building that nonetheless still manages to be one of the most impressive pieces of local architecture. It's one of the only places built entirely out of stone, for example. It has a huge circular window just above its tall double doors, to let in the light gifted by the High God to his creatures at mass. Unusually, the doors of this place of worship are closed, and the same goes for the backdoor that leads to Father Theo's living space. Considering that it was his custom to keep the doors open and let any who needed advice or what little help he could manage enter, that is a worrying development.

Even more worrisome are the four strangers: an enormously tall and muscular woman, missing half an ear and with a two-handed sword hanging from her back; a bald wight in black leather armor, with a sword in his scabbard and a pistol already in hand; a nervous-looking military lady whose shield keeps clanging against her sword with every step; and a man wearing the robe of the Royal Magi, bright orange in the middle with sea blue to the side. They all stand near the little gate that leads to the porch; not even they can violate Church law and get away scot free.

Kingsmen. What are they doing here already? Could this be a forward team, meant to get the lay of the land? Do they know something about the priest's activities? The nervous woman has noticed you, and has signaled your presence to the others. They're all looking at you and whispering amongst themselves.

Teresa, Milo- The Forest
While Teresa is pretending to leave the archer alone, she almost stumbles into Milo.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature!

Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We!

Join Us at Paradise Lost!


Lord Cyprien
Anger grew in Cyprien's heart as he saw the kingsmen, the mage especially. Magic is to be loved and cherished, but these traitors turned its beauty to the service of tyranny and opression, despite magic's power roaring for freedom. He whispered to his companions
"One of you, keep the mage off balance. The other, keep the others away from me; I need a moment before i bring the Thunder."
With this, Cyprien rolled his shoulders once and opened his mouth. From it, came words of thunder. Around him, the air grew pregnant with tension, and above him, rolling clouds gathered and darkened. Soon, the skies would let lose fury and lightning.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


Just like that, it was war.

Lord Cyprien started calling upon the incantations of the Elemental Storm, causing winds the sweep up and the sky to turn dark. As Tumur steeled himself for battle, Eldred made a daring run towards the enemy, throwing a smoke bomb with all his might, obscuring the line of sight of the magus and the gunslinger, who were a bit behind. But his overextension cost him dearly; the women amongst the kingsmen flashed their blades, and he could not avoid the nervous woman's stabs nor the massive swing of the one with the two-handed sword. He could barely retreat as Tumur's spear pierced his opponents.
In the meantime, Lord Cyprien's incantation took effect, and the wrath of the Thunder-Voiced God fell upon the kingsmen brute like deafening lighting. Ferocious until the end, she chased Eldred, fully intending to finish the job, followed closely by her meek companion. Battle kept raging as the Ri-kajoor stabbed anyone who came into reach of his spear, and the engineer avoided the wrath of his pursuers.

And then things went awry.

The nobleman invoked another surge of lighting against the kingswoman, but something went wrong. 'Magic hates magic', they say in the Kingdoms, and with another mage not far from him, Lord Cyprien's magic escaped his control to attack the other mage, and whoever was around. A cackling face made of electricity surged out of the shocked body of Olivia, the kingswoman, zapping the two magi, the creature one of them summoned and poor Tumur, who was just a bit too close to Cyprien.

But the magic still wasn't satisfied. Even those who weren't wizards themselves could feel their hairs stand to an end as the enchantment cracked like a glass vase thrown against a stone wall, and returned into the body that had first hosted it: the kingswoman. Pent-up magical energies exploded around her like fireworks as a blinding white light came out of her eyes and mouth, arcs of lighting coming out of her skin.
And then she began to grow.
She grew and grew, her armor exploding as it could no longer contain her, the veins of her skin pulsating with electricity, her mouth open to scream the unthinkable pain of her transformation to the world. The other kingsmen run away. There is a scream of terror from the village. A giant, taller than the church, stood over everyone present, and she looked to be in absolute plain as an arc of electricty jettisons out of her skin and set fire to the church's garden. Her fellow kingsmen, horrified at the sight, ran away, although the woman that had fought side by side with her could not help but linger for a moment.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Milo - The Forest

Seeing no harm in delaying for a short time in the name of fresh mushrooms, Milo stops his mount and tethers her in a small glade at the side of the path. Humming softly to himself he sets off into the trees, eyes down to catch sight of any tasty camouflaged boletes or rarer varieties. It might not hurt to gather a few amanitas either, in a separate sack...

A short time later, just as Milo seriously considers taking his full bags of mushrooms and turning back, he notices something strange. It looks like there are tracks - people tracks - almost invisible in the soft earth of the forest floor. They would have entirely escaped his attention if he hadnt already been lookong intently right at them by pure chance. Actually... right in front fungus eyes that patch of thick moss just finished springing back into shape in front of his eyes, which means that someone must have JUST passe...

And then Milo bumps headfirst into a figure standing stock still behind a tree, staring daggers into the top of his head. Milo yelps in shock!

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature!

Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We!

Join Us at Paradise Lost!


Lord Cyprien

Cyprien took a step back at the transformation of the woman. That was... unexpected and problematic. not to mention deadly. But cyprien was undeterred. Running to Eldred, he grabbed a letter from inside his shirt, a dossier, really, shoving it in Eldred's hands. "My agents reported that a local baker has shown interest in alchemy and Fixers; he might be able to help. This Letter holds what i know. Find him, if you can."
He then turned to the Giant. Electricity crackled from it, setting fire to things, but Cyprien had a solution. The storm he'd whipped up had covered the area in a very light rain; but he could make it more than that. He took a deep breath, and intoned the Song of Wet Fields, intensifying the rain, hoping that it would put out fires and prevent others from starting up.

Using the Close Spell Weather Witching to increase the light rain to a heavy rain.
4

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Tumur

Tumur was barely winded from the fighting. These soft mainlanders were barely a challenge, though the toymaker was, as expected, having a much worse time. Then the Angry God lost his temper. As the woman transformed into a giant of lightning, Tumur harnessed his fear and did not flee. He returned to the Wayfinder Arts.

Where had they been? When clouds starting forming and lightning split the air, Tumur had realized that Cyprien was not just a priest of the Thunder-Voiced God, but Chosen. The Ri-Kajoor allowed only one Chosen per island, and killed any who practiced Dark Magic like the sorcerer among the King's Men. This, of course, was why. The God's hated rivals, whether they be channeling the power of another God or upstarts stealing the God's power for themselves. Their curses were to be much feared.

Where were they now? The Angry God had obviously lost his temper with how long it was taking to strike down the Sorcerer and had decided to take things into his own hands. The Angry God was not known for his forbearance, now everyone was in danger.

Where were they going? Tumur was still uncertain. The God respected strength, skill, caution, and courage. "Should we kill it?" he asked, and Eldred seemed to agree. Cyprien, however, seemed to hesitate at that. He wanted Eldred to fetch an ally, and seemed to be trying to mitigate the damage. He was the Chosen, and this was his God's manifestation, he would know best.

The Course set, Tumur did not hesitate.They needed chains of iron. Too far from the harbor for an anchor. Tumur had gone to this church with Sarah and listened to the priest's droning every time he rang that great bell. That chain might be sturdy enough. He vaulted unto the roof and ran like the wind.

He savagely chopped at the bell's moorings with all his strength and then pulled it free, the long chain trailing behind.

Finally he anchored the chain and ran around the giantess until loops sat around her feet. Then he threw the bell on a rooftop where it caught, raising and tightening the loops and wrapping them around her legs. She was caught, and without electrocuting Tumur. He was quite proud. But this took some time... How did Cyprien make out distracting her and keeping the damage from getting worse?

Inspiration Sarah + Quickness (not a stunt, but -1 to doom)
@JordanPro: 1d6 + 1d8 = (1)+(4) = 4 vs. Effective Doom of 3.

Strength to break the bell/chain free and carry it

@JordanPro: 1d8 = (3) = 3 Inspiration the Sea @JordanPro: 1d8 = (8) = 8

Opposed Quickness + Strength to bind the giant

@JordanPro: 1d6 = (1) = 1 Spending one mood : 6
vs. @PXGentleman: 1d12 = (5) = 5

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL


Teresa Steiner

Teresa slaps a hand over the trolls mouth, and holds up a finger to her lips. She knew Milo in passing, the cook from the old manor. Her father had sold game to them from time to time.

She carefully points towards the archer, drawing Milo's attention to him, and then speaks in a low voice. "He says he's some noble's man, but not one I've heard of. I think he's with someone else. Don't give me away."

With that, she moves off carefully, trailing the man.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Milo - forest chase

Before Milo can regain his composure and hiss even a simple question, the girl - the woman, is already moving on.

Was that the wilder girl, the huntsmans daughter? Patricia... Tarea... Teresa! gently caress wait!

Milo scrambles after Teresa and the unknown 'archer', quickly catching up to the former through the sparse underbrush in this part of the forest. Up ahead, his back just in sight, the archer winds and weaves his way onwards at a rapid clip. Intent on tracking her quarry, Teresa ignores or doesn't notice Milo's attempts to quietly communicate, stymied by the need to keep an eye to the ground and avoid any sudden gullies, roots, or conspicuously loud branches.

Oh no, berry brambles. Surely these 'seasoned woodsmen' will turn asi-no, guess not.

The modest and easily traversed forest undergrowth gradually give a way to a thicket of blackberries. Unlike roses, these bushes don't have true thorns, instead defending their sticky treat with tiny scratching prickles. This is worse, not better. The white underside of each leaf latches onto almost any surface, snagging clothing and skin alike and the tiny hair like spines itch and burn. Milo slows down, taking the time to go around the densest of the bushes instead of pressing through. This proves a good strategy, and on the other side he misses sight of the archer, closer than ever. Looking back, he sees Teresa cautiously approaching.

Keeping his closer position without being detected is easier now, as the dominant tree in this part of the forest are twisty oaks, and the afternoon light had been muted by a sudden cover of thick clouds. The archer seems to be slowing, and Teresa is easily catching up. Hopefully they will not have much further to go.

Suddenly Milo's hairs all stand on end at the same time, and there is a monstrous screeching from just outside the forest, in the direction of the local church. The archer turns towards it. "What the...?" He asks, before nocking an arrow and going to check it out.

Milo shivers, looking back at Teresa questioningly. Without hesitation, she turns and follows the archer, tacking directly towards town. With another, even more colorful series of quiet swearing, Milo comes behind.

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?


Eldred
Fixers! Of course! This could be fixed! No need for a mercy killing! And Milo had been working on that Fixer thing, hadn't he? There could still be a happy ending to this!

"I'll fetch my cousin at once! Hold her fast, friends!"

---
One frantic search later, including the recovery of a wayward horse and an entirely unsubtle gallop through the woods...
---

There he was! And with some new friends, it seemed. Good for him! Introductions would have to wait, though.

"Milo!" Eldred yelled, pulling the horse to a stop. "Come quick! There was a fight and a spell went wrong, and now there is an angry giant woman made of lightning! She needs Fixing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Milo

Milo looks over his shoulder with alarm, his surprised face quickly twisting in a sardonic expression. With an expansive gesture, he steps to the side and sweeps an arm out to encompass the scene before him: The giant woman surrounded by a full array of assorted people and onlookers, including the mysterious archer and the slightly less mysterious Teresa.

"Yes, thank you, I did notice." As an afterthought he quickly hisses "and don't mention it!

  • Locked thread
«3 »