Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


The two cousins and the huntswoman made their way out of the forest, and they scene they witness is worse than they expected. The church has been severely damaged, a good chunk of a wall having collapsed; a massive giantess with cackling lighting coursing over her skin.

It's not a good situation, all things considered. Can Milo discern how to employ his alchemic art to neutralize this explosive discharge of magic?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Sep 13, 2017 around 16:05

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Milo

Confronted by the chaos of battle aftermath in front of the church, Milo does what comes most naturally: no time to ask questions, only time to act. The longer the scene persists the more dangerous for everyone the eventual reckoning will be, and with the Axemen caravan so close now is NOT the time.

Milo turns and claps his hands on his cousin's shoulders, giving him a significant look as he says "I'm going to go get some of the medicine you got for me from Gran's house. I'll be back as soon as I can."

I don't know if I can fix this, I haven't had enough practice, what if I make things wor- no. You can. Don't run.

"Do what you can to calm her down, that lightning is probably maddening her. Saving that, knock her out"

With that thought spoken aloud, something occurs to Milo: "Here, lend me your ear, and take this!" he says, holding out an eye to Eldred.

CaPensiPraxis fucked around with this message at Sep 13, 2017 around 18:16

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL


Teresa Steiner

Teresa stares at the giantess, a bit nonplussed. This is decidedly outside her expertise, aided by an ancient sword of heroes or no.

So instead, she looks around for other trouble.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Tumur

Tumur scratches his head at this mess. She's still filled with lightning and enormous. If they could at least get the lightning out of her maybe she'd like being big. But he didn't know the first thing about taking lightning from people. Usually they just died or didn't die. They were about to kill her before all this, "Hey, Priest! Once we throw away her lightning, what will we do with her? She is a slave to the golden men and was trying to kill us."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


There is a roar that shakes the heavens as the giantess screams her fury at the heavens. The inside of her mouth is as dark as stormclouds, with lighting coursing through them.


I've decided that this makes the most sense as combat. You can kill her, or you can use clever Trick to immobilise her and let the Fixer do his fixing thing. Up to you.
Going from the edge of the forest to the garden requires a trick, that is to say, jumping the fence. Going the long way around (Edge of the forest, gate, church 's garden) involves using the gate and thus requires no roll.


Milo will be back with his kit in 3 turns.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Sep 14, 2017 around 22:29

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL


Teresa Steiner

Realizing that the archer she was tailing is lining up a shot, and that Milo is going to need some time, Teresa decides probably the best thing she can do is distract the giant. She moves away from the archer, stooping to grab a likely rock, and then hurls it at the giant to get its attention.

When she has it, Teresa waves at it and shouts, "Over here, you overgrown fogbank!"

She keeps up her dodging and running even as the giant hurls things at her, getting clipped by some of the debris, but doing her best to keep it from interfering with the archer and whatever plan the trolls are up to.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at Sep 19, 2017 around 16:06

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Tumur

Hearing the toymaker shout something about digging a hole, Tumur shrugs, picks up the church's garden shovel, and goes to work. He knows nothing of these ritual matters, but if they needed a hole he would dig a fine one, deep and sturdy. It takes only a few moments before it's good enough for whatever arcane purposes the wounded troll has in mind.

...

Once he was assured the giant would no longer wield Angry God's white gift, Tumur secured the chains to make it harder for her to break free.

Mr. Prokosch fucked around with this message at Sep 29, 2017 around 20:01

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


The giantess is now securely tied to the chain, which is itself partially buried. Just like Eldred predicted, the electricty that coursed through the giant woman is channeled through the metal, and disperses harmlessly into the ground. What the engineer could not predict, however, is that this seems to calm her fury somewhat. At least, she's not screaming bloody murder anymore; she just stands there, chain wrapped around her legs, her arms hanging down low, a vague rumbling coming from her as her inner thunder is dispersed. When the engineer tries to talk to her, she seems unresponsive.

There is a moment of silence as no one is quite sure what to do, interrupted by the sound of approaching hoofsteps. Milo has arrived with his kit, just in time to witness the situation.

The archer, bow still taut and ready to fire, furrows his brow. "I've fought a giant before, but the one I dealt with would not act like that. What have you done to her?"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Tumur

Tumur laughs at the man. "You think we have the power to do this thing? It is a thing of Gods and fury and black magic. It is between the hunter witch and the God she offended, the giant stuck between them. They think they can fix her, that it is the God's will. I think it is better to kill the witch and give her heart to the Storm, but the Chosen knows best."

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Milo

Arriving and getting straight down to work, Milo pauses only to nod to the assembled giant subduers and collect his eye, pointedly ignoring the archer and the implied threat of his readied weapon. He smiles as he takes the hand of the chained giant to lead her, trailing her grounding chain behind her, as deep into the wreckage of the church as her tether allows. It is a testament to her weakened state that she not only follows, but does not flinch back from Milo's frighteningly poor attempt at an "comforting smile", a farce he seems committed to. As he lights a small burner drawn from the leather valise he brought with him, the smile thankfully drops away, anxiety and concentration winning over bravado.

[[The transformation effect was a result of Cyprien's magic botch (a roll of 1). Rolled a 7 to fix, success! Cyprien's caster level is 1 so this process takes an hour.]]

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL


Teresa Steiner

Teresa watches as Milo seems to be getting things under control, and goes over to join the archer and the others. She catches the end of Tumur's statement, which doesn't do much to enlighten her. "What in the hells is going on here?"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Tumur

Tumur throws up his hand dramatically. "I also know nothing true about this. It is God business, magic business, bad business. Best not to know and let it be once it's no longer trying to kill you."

He narrows his eyes suspiciously at the bow wielder, "you have fought giants? This is my first. Why did you run to the storm instead of away? Do you know this woman?"

He tries to read the other man, looking for some hint of recognition. Perhaps he was back-up for the other group? Or did a Axe-man reveal himself as being too brave in the chaos? He shows only confusion. Given that her allies, clear Kingsmen, had already seen Tumur there was little harm in revealing himself now.

"You do not. I am Tumur of the Dry Storm, Wayfinder of the Rikajoor. I think only one kind of man would seek out a fight with a giant. You are Axe man. Take me to your people, my wife and I must leave before the giant's friends come back with more Hunters. We have already been seen, we have not much time."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


The archer's response to Tumur's words is subdued, but it's there. His posture doesn't change, nor does he have a tick; but his gaze becomes suddenly very, very focused on the native of the Dragon Isles. He sighs. "Well, I suppose there is no use in denying it now." He offers the taller man his hand to shake. "I am Dante Dragotta of Queensport, and yes, I am an axeman. You and your wife are free to join us in our voyage to the capital, of course. Heroism such as the one displayed by you and your companions should not be rewarded by death at the kingsmen's hands."

He turns towards the rest of you. "The same, naturally, goes for the rest of you. I can't imagine you must be in good standing with King Lucius if you find yourselves crossing sword and spell with his agents."

While this discussion happens, Milo cuts, boils and mixes plants and chemical compounds with attention and precision. It is indeed very much like cooking, but the key difference becomes clear soon enough. As the final broth is laboriously fed to the overgrown woman, she slowly begins to shrink, her skin losing its unnatural hue. After one hour of such medication, she is now nothing more than a human, as tall and muscular as she may be.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


The axemen's caravan welcomes you with open arms with Dante vouching for you. They travel in two covered wagons, pulled by robust horses. People from all classes of life travel with them: there are disgraced nobles, clever artisans, clear-eyed poets and simple farmhands that want more out of their life than tending the ungrateful earth. There's even a sorceress that doesn't speak much and tends to keep to herself. It is liberating to be in the company of souls that burn as bright as yours.

After a week of voyage, you arrive at the gates of Rithaign. It is an humbling sight.

Never in your life you have seen walls this vast, so many buildings together. You knew, of course, that Rithaign dwarfs your native village by an order of magnitude; but seeing it with your own eyes is another thing altogether. Here, where you can hide from the kingsmen's scrutinizing eyes in a sea of other people, you should have a chance to pursue that which you dream of.

Just as you are thinking of that, a shadow falls over you. You look up.

A zeppelin bearing the insignia of House Anfield, the royal house to which King Lucius I belongs to, slowly circles the city, patroling the skies. Even from this distance, you can see the reflection of the sun on its cannons, and you can see hints of movements of the crew, going this way and that, armed to the teeth. You are not yet safe, oh no: people such as you might never be safe in the Kingdoms. But you are, hopefully, safer.

A short period of readjustement follows, as you find accomodations; that is to say, those of you who need a place to stay rent rooms in the Docks quarter, where vagrants and travellers are a common enough sight that not too many questions are asked.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014


Lord Cyprien smiles as he sees the zeppelin overhead. It's a threat, yes, but one that he will one day overcome. He is certain of it.

As the caravan splits up after arrival, Cyprien speaks to his fellow travelers, those who helped him in the fight against the kingsmen, and whom his butler collected dossiers on. He offers them to stay - for a while, at least - in his city cottage. It's not large, as nobles measure houses, but it does have guest rooms and side rooms enough to house a few people and Cyprien's servants. And, he mentions, he might well have employment for them once things have settled down.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


Rithaign is a city full of promise, and there is always work for people with your talents; although you're new here, you still manage to dig up some jobs appropriate for your talents. The text written like this explains how this situation is likely to be solved.

Cover for the Goussant butler: The butler of house Goussant, a gloomy and pale individual, has sent a certain letter with a courier to his counterpart in House Laird. The letter never arrived, and it is the butler's ardent wish that the letter is found as soon as possible and returned to him. What's the letter about? Never you mind
Reward: 400 crowns, and a contact within house Goussant. Recommended for 1 person.
Assist the Laird butler: The butler of house Laird, a rotund and red-faced fellow, has an interest in drinks of a certain fortitude; the kind that you can't easily find in the noble quarter of Rithaign. He needs someone to negotiate the purchase of something called Ioduchulus' Blood, which he assures you is just a particularly powerful alcoholic beverage.
Reward: 400 crowns, and a contanct within house Laird. Recommended for 1 person.
Save the Coppernick gala: A minor noble house's soiree is in peril: two of the guests, the Baroness Annete Laird and the Count Karl Gousant, have had an incredibly explosive fight. They also happen to be guests of honor, and the most important people the Coppernick matron could get to come. If they do not get pacified in time, the gala will be ruined!
Reward: An invitation to the gala, 400 crowns and an excellent reputation amongst noblemen. Recommended for 2/3 people.
Rescue Colin Shortfuse: A young apprentice of a master engineer disappeared two days ago. Considering that he lived with his master, that there are no signs of force entry and that nothing else is missing, included the young man's personal effects, that's worrying.
Reward: either 500 crowns in cash or 800 crowns worth of engineering items; plus a friend amongst the engineers. Recommended for 2/3 people.
Punish the Threemain Gang: A group of thugs led by a rain troll with a scar on his eye and dream of greatness just stole a cargo of smuggled exotic fruits from Rithaign Factors, Insurers and Beggars, the most powerful thieves' guild in the city. They want it back, and they want the upstarts beaten up. Not killed, if possible: your contact seems sure that once they understand what the guild can do, they prodigal sons will come back home.
Reward: 600 crows, plus a 300 bonus if they're they're all wacked but none of them are killed, plus a contact with the thieves' guild. Recommended for 2/3 people.
Place a pointy surprise: There will be a gala in house Coppernick soon. The axemen would like you to sneak a dagger in a certain closet in the mansion. They have an agent there that will make good use of it at the gala. They are reticent as far as details go.
Reward: 300 crowns, anything you can pocket in the mansion and the axemen's gratitude.
Corral the giant alligator: It's not clear wheter it's a natural beast or an accident of magic, but sure enough, a giant alligator has started giving problems to the folks living near Rithaign's bridge. A bounty has been placed on there to whoever could keep it under control.
Reward: 1200 crowns and a good reputation amongst most Rithaignites. Recommended for 3/4 people.
Ambush the bodyguard: The Laird household has recently purchased the services of a fearsome warrior known as Gorrik Heartsplitter. According to the axement, he needs to be removed from the scene before he saves the nobles from...something. They're not clear on what. Wheter this is accomplished by violence or charisma, they don't rightly care.
Reward: 500 crowns. Other rewards depend on the way Gorrik is defeated.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Oct 10, 2017 around 15:46

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014


Cyprien

Cyprien settled in to his new home quite well. It was smaller than his uncle's mansion where he had lived before, and he was unused to the hustle and bustle of the city, but those inconveniences aside, he did quite well, and soon his study was as cluttered and cosy as his old one. He made sure to have Edgar and his other servants gather up what rumors they could, and checked in with distant, half-forgotten family contacts. Soon, he heard of the Coppernick Gala, a minor social event, but an excellent way for Cyprien to get aquanted with the local nobility and begin rebuilding his family's contacts and reputation. Even better, the Coppernicks had a problem they needed solving. He wasn't sure how to go about it at first, however, until he heard from Edgar, who spent his evenings off at the Three Hounds, an in where the butlers and other notable footmen of nobility spent their coin, that the Laird and Goussant butlers had issues they needed solving. With a smile, he saw the solution to his problems. Excellent. He had a servant carry the Laird butler a message, requesting a meeting at a local tavern in the after noon, hurried down to the guest wing, where Milo, who had not yet found a place to live and steady employment, was staying.
He knocked, politely, and suggested to Milo that he help the Goussant butler; then afterwards, the two of them would be well-suited to solve the Coppernicks' little problem. And at the gala... well, it would be an excellent opportunity for Milo to help their mutual friends, if that was his intention, and if not, a reputation as skilled and resourceful was never a bad thing.
This done, he sent out Edgar to see if he could learn more about this 'Ioduchulus' Blood.' Edgar wasn't himself a heavy drinker, but he'd been in the city for a couple of days while negotiating the purchase of this house and preparing it for Cyprien's arrival, so he had made a few local friends who might be able to help him.

At the Tavern
Cyprien enters. He's wearing his usual wardrobe, but with a heavy and less conspicuous coat, and no jewelry. He wasn't exactly afraid of being noticed - it was a fine establishment and not many would notice him anyway - but neither did he want to stand out, really. He orders a common wine, sits at a table in the far right corner, as he has planed with the Laird butler, and waits; he's a bit early, he knows, but better that than too late.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


Edgar informs you that Ioduchulus' Blood is named after a Low God of drunken excess and ectasy, whose cult has been a constant presence throughout all of Akra, despite attempts from the Chuch to snuff it out. The recipe is quite secret, which has led many to speculate that it is actually made with Low God's blood, but he personally thinks that's just the commonfolks' grisly imagination. It's undeniable that the drink packs quite a punch.
The Three Hounds
This tavern strikes a good balance between classiness and being able to drink yourself into a stupor without having to sell your house. The floors are clean, the clients are cheery but not noisy and the wine, even this relatively cheap one, is eminently drinkable.

The Larid butler arrives on time, and seems quite surprised and a bit disappointed to see you there so early. He's unfailingly polite (no butler keeps his job if he's not) and, if prompted, introduces himself as Anton.
"I understand, mylord, that you have taken an interest in solving my little problem?" He asks, taking a long sip of Briney Rhum, a powerful concoction that you can smell from the other side of the table.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Tumur

Sarah was enjoying the luxury and novelty of living in a nobleman's estate, though she was quickly getting bored and uncomfortable, unsure if she should be serving or being served and so doing her best to mostly avoid notice. Tumur sold her on moving to the city in part with her dream of opening her own fishing supply shop. She knew the trade, but disliked the constant gutting and screaming for attention that came with her fish stall. Working the other end of the supply chain was cleaner and more relaxing, it could smell like flowers, rum, and polished wood.

Tumur escorted her on his free day off to scope out the competition. The best suppliers worked directly with the nobility, the dockside stores were left with low quality and defective products sold at a bargain price. He found their knowledge of the sailing and fishing arts lacking, she found they tended to use poor quality materials displayed in dingy, mildew-encrusted shops. Sarah believed she could contract with apprentice smiths and craftsmen for better bulk work sold in a more attractive, Serra inspired, dockside environment. Tumur had trouble imagining it but he was happy to walk, listen and observe the seaside districts of Rithaign. By the end of the trip, she was dreaming and scheming and Tumur felt much better about their desperate flight from her home. Now he just needed to come up with 3000cp for the initial investment. He had a very poor head for money, but he was committed to gathering that pile of shiny baubles for her.

His first big job would also mean paying off a debt. The Axemen wanted a certain man dead. The man meant nothing to Tumur. But the Axemen had helped him and his wife without a bond of blood or profit. This made a star bond, a bond of debt and magic, and Tumur would not be tied to those madmen and their schemes to turn the world into an eternal storm. Good that he could kill this one man and only make the world a slightly worse place, than be compelled to defend them in an hour of great need and so doom all.

Tumur himself was storm-hearted, but he believed as his people did. The goal of the Ri-Kajoor was peace. The peace of a light breeze, a gentle fishing trip, a sleepy song and a well-loved family. The world and many gods sought to break that peace, so the people must be strong to defend it. There was none stronger than the storm-hearted, so they had a place standing against chaos. But they were a thing of chaos, and their discontent was a threat of its own. If they could not be taught to master the storm inside and direct it towards the good of all, they were just as much of a threat as any great beast or fire-storm. These Axe-men sought to make all people storm-hearted, to whip the people into a frenzy against their evil masters. So they were as disastrous as the fat slavers that ruled this place. Their victory over the grinding sameness that turned people into pigs would mean a wave of destruction that would turn them into ravenous beasts. A man must be taught to be a man.

The Ri-kajoor tucked his head inside his new cloak, purchased to hide his body and face, for he was not proud of what he was about to do. He looked back at his partner in this task, the grief-mad woodsman's daughter. The storm inside her had been whipped into an angry hurricane. She would make a good axe-man. He sighed and started stalking the soon-to-be-dead man poisoning himself. He could feel his own storm eagerly anticipating the blood and fury ahead. He wasn't much better.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014


Cyprien
Cyprien enjoys the place. It's busier, and has far more different wines, than the taverns where he's from, but fundamentally, a tavern is a tavern, even if the Raithganites say 'beer' with a rolling R.
As for the butler, Cyprien was polite as they made introductions. Once the question comes up, Cyprien nods. "Let me speak plainly. I am new to the city, an outsider. For now, i'm trying to gain friends and contacts. Helping you, i'm sure, will be a good start to that. So, give me the details. you need me to manage and negotiate a purchease, correct? Where and when have you set this up?"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


Tumur and Teresa
You follow Gorrik Heartsplitter without gathering much attention. He's a wight with a downright corpse-like smile. It looks pretty upsetting, honestly: you suspect they're going to charge him extra in the house of ill repute that he's visiting. Like any place where you don't want to be seen entering, it has a side entrance in an alleyway. You consider attacking him from two sides, but it proves unnecessary: the other side of the alley leads directly into the river. No way he's going in that direction, unless he fancies a bath.

After some time, he comes out of the brother. You can tell that something is wrong. He lacks the bumbling movements of a true drunk.

"Step out of the shadows, little girl. I've seen you trying to shadow me earlier. Let me see this wannabe assassin of mine." He grins. His gums are far too prominent, his teeth far too small. He's disgusting, and he knows it, and he cherishes the notion. Now that you see him close, you notice how white his hair is, how stock-still his eyes look. "I promise that I'll let you leave unharmed, if you show yourself now and leave. I savor both blood and wine, but I don't mix them."

He noticed Teresa, but not Tumur. His guard is down, as he's sure that you don't have the stones to attack him alone and without the element of surprise. Teresa can get one attack off without him defending, and so can Tumur. For the purpose of this attack, he won't enjoy the bonus that his Warrior class gives him when using armor. He's wearing horn lamellar, and you can see two swords dangling from his belt.

Cyprie
He smiles amicably. "Ah, a man who does not beat around the bush. That's promising indeed!" He finishes off his drink and orders another. "The thing is, mylord, that I have set up nothing of the sort. If I could, I would have done the negotiation myself! But my master does not appreciate when his servants interact with criminals, and so I find myself having to work through an intermediary. You, specifically" He licks his lips, tense. "I've heard from the less savory help in my master's villa that a woman by the name of Brynn is a reliable source of excellent spirits. She can be found at the docks, if you can get the thugs there to point you in the right direction. I don't know much more than that."

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014


Cyprien

Cyprien nods, scribbles down the name. "Brynn, you say, down by the docks? Should be easy enough." He stands, leaves a few coins on the table - enough to cover his drink as well as Anton with enough left over for a reasonable tip. "I will have it by the end of the night and send Edgar over with it. If things drag on, it may happen early in the morning, instead. Enjoy your drink."

This done, Cyprien grabbed his coat and left. He he went by his house to pick up a few things, then went out again, heading for the docks to ask around.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


You make your way to the docks quarter, with its smell of fish and salt and less pleasant substances. The afteroon is becoming evening, and all sorts of unsavory characters can be seen hanging around the gutters of thi place. You think you've managed to keep a low enough profile, but you can't shake the feeling that you're being observed. You duck into a tavern with the intention of losing them... only to find the place empty, almost abandoned. Behind the counter is a huge man wearing a red bandana. He smiles at you like a cat noticing a mouse. You're about to back off when you feel someone pushing you inside. "What's the hurry, pretty prince?" The individual that pushed you inside is a woman with an eyepatch and a bandana that matches the man. "Leaving so soon?" She has a wicked knife in her hand. The man laughs as he passes around the counter to join you: he weilds a butcher's hatchet.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at Oct 12, 2017 around 21:22

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL


Teresa Steiner

The Day Before
Teresa presses the attack, raining a series of overhand strikes down on her opponent, who parries and dodges, giving ground step by step. The blows slowly knock the defender out of rhythm and off balance, creating an opening, one Teresa immediately moves to exploit, the point of her weapon lashing out and hitting - only air.

Now it's Teresa who's off balance as her opponent steps nimbly out of the way and then slashes down at the girl as she stumbles. Teresa throws herself out of the way, and rolls as the enemy follows, jabbing at her. The enemy skips over and puts a foot down on her, putting a blade to her throat. "Seems I've won again."

Teresa, grimaces, but taps the other woman's thigh with her own wooden blade. Sofie Luewen looks down and laughs. "Or maybe nobody wins." She reaches down and helps Teresa up. "Not bad. Not bad at all. A bit over aggressive, but are quick, and learn quick. A natural swordswoman. Just in need of refinement." She pauses, then adds, "A lot of refinement. But we will see to it."

Still frowning a bit, Teresa nods. In just the time she'd spent practicing with the Axeman's master of arms, she'd learned more than in a month of training by herself. She rubs absently at a bruise on her shoulder. This is what she'd wanted - a purpose to use her blade for, and the teachers to show her how to use it right.

Now
Teresa steps out of the shadows, the First Sword in hand, it's blade reflecting the light dully. "Too bad for you, I can't make the same promise." Even as she says it, she's moving forward, on the attack, her blade lashing out with surprising speed.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


Eldred - The laboratory of Orthos the Clockmaker
Orthos lives where he works, like many artisans; in his case, in a respectable neighborhood, stalked by axemen in uniform and on horse who seem to take note of your presence there. Once you reach his abode, he guides you through his shop, which has all sort of locks, gears and various engineering geegaws meant to catch the eye of a prospective client. When you're sitting in his small kitchenette, a cup of tea in hands, he starts telling you about Colin.

"He's a very bright kid, very attentive to teachings. Could do with a bit more imaginative approach, but you couldn't ask for a better apprentice. He's been working for me for about an year now, sleeping on little and up until now he has never disappeared for that long. I fear the worst... I just sent him to the grocer to fill up my pantry. The guards are sure that he ran away with my money, and call me a naive fool. Bah! They do not know what they are talking about." He looks at you with misty eyes. "I've come to think of him as a son, young man. Can you really help me find him?"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Tumur

The fool thought himself strong, it was clear he had never faced a true Ri-Kajoor in battle. It would have been an equal match with the Woodsman's daughter. He was quick like an eel with his two swords, but Teresa had better technique and a stronger will. It would have been a good match, but battle was not sport. The cunning navigator found a way where success was certain. Seeking out even matches was like riding the storm, protracted suicide. So, Tumur sprung from the shadows and struck the man with his long spear, again and again. He had a peculiar talent for forcing blows to glance off his expensive armor, but this only extended his life for a few seconds. Soon he was bleeding and broken. With a tear of crimson the man fell to the earth.

Tumur grunted and approached the corpse. He had money to spend tonight on women and poison. If Tumur was going to murder this fool for shiny baubles, murder a man to see his wife smile, he might as well.... Then, with a curse, Tumur throws himself to the side, narrowly avoiding the not-yet-a-corpse's dagger! The man faked his death for this chance to escape and sprinted for the river, no doubt trusting his chances with the cold rushing water over the killers behind him.

Tumur gave chase, but it was Teresa who finished it with an arrow to the man's back. He slumped forward and the river would have taken his body, but Tumur snatched the corpse and dragged it back to shore. He made certain the trickster was truly dead with a swift blow from his own sword and then stripped anything of value from it. With a prayer to Loktanur of the Deep he returns the body to the sea, as is proper.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


After the grisly work of ensuring that Halfheart is really dead this time around, you go back to the tavern where the axemen told you your reward shall await you. The tavernkeeper, a doughy nineblood man by the name of Stefan, sends his young daughter to check on the job. She returns, and nods at him. His expression softens as he hands you a pouch full of gold and serves you a beer each. "To your good health!" He smiles and winks at you. On top of the money, you get to enjoy being the toast of the tavern!

+2 mood to both of you!

Despite the merrymaking, Teresa notices something odd; or rather, someone (and presumably she tells Tumur). There's a woman here, a bulky troll woman with a plumed hat that seems...off. She's sweating a lot and her eye is oddly fixated on you. She could be an incompetent spy about to blow her cover... or she could be genuinely sick.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL


Teresa Steiner

Teresa drains her mug of ale, looking pleased with herself - until she catches the troll watching her. Her usual scowl returns, and remains as her cup is refilled. After a moment, she slams the mug back down on the bar and walks over to the woman, stopping a few steps away, hands on hips. "You want something from me?"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Tumur

The Ri-Kajoor enjoys the acclaim and the money. The drinks he could do without. It was a barbaric custom to poison yourself in this manner. It eats away the spirit and makes you forget the lessons of your people. Returns you to childhood and makes you an animal. He refuses any drink with this "alcohol" and asks for rain water and the fresh juice of coconuts if they have it.

He downs another glass of cellar chilled water and watches this new development. He had noticed the girl poisoning herself. Her constitution clearly did not match her fighting technique, so now she was picking a fight with a sick troll who had no doubt also poisoned herself. He would enjoy watching their drunken brawl over nothing.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


The woman bats her eyelashes, her eyes roll in her eyesockets and then collapses on the floor. As her hat falls off, you can see her head is covered in pustules and bubos. There is a gasp of horror amongst the tavern's clients as they witness this, and a few leave on the spot, fearing an infection. The woman's chest falls and rises, unsteadily; she's alive, but clearly terribly sick.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014


Lord Cyprien
Lord Cyprien is badly bruised and wounded by thugs at the docks while trying to find information on 'brynn.' Damnit, damnit, damnit. Useless! He gets his wounds bandaged and cleaned, but there's no way he's able to find brynn and deal with whatever 'negotiation' would need to take place, not now. He sends edgar to the Laird butler with an apology and an expensive bottle - no need to make enemies, after all. He then sends edgar to gather all the information he can on the 'dispute' that's threathening the coppernick gala, his next project. He's going to need help with that, however, and his friends and allies are all occupied at the moment, so for now, he just sighs and sends a chambermaid to fetch him a nice brandy while he opens his copy of the Malificium, his latest unread book on magic and occultism. Throwing himself into it, and the brandy, helps him relax. it soothes him. It's interlectual work, to be sure, but familiar, and he finds the hours (and most of the brandy) whizz past as he reads and reads. There's still an edge to him as he goes to bed at night, but it's smoothed over, and he sleeps soundly, ready to bring glory to his family come the morning.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


Milo
The Goussant butler invites you in his apartments to talk: he cannot abide taverns, apparently. Everything is in perfect order and polished to a shine, despite most of the furniture being altogether cheap. He offers you some tea as he laments the unreliability of today's youth and the wickedness of the modern age. "Tony, Tony the Tracer, that's how he introduced himself to me, the ruffian!" More complaining follows. Then, once you manage to get him back on track: "I'd rather not share who that letter was to be delivered to; I'm sure you understand. But I gave it to him at Blythenhale, and he scurried off through that blasted place: someone must have seen him!"

You balk a bit: Blythenhale is, from what little time you've spent here, where many of the city's textiles are produced and sold. Which makes it a perfect place for pickpockets looking to make some easy, untraceable cash by separating fine silk handkerchiefs from their owners and producers. Many of them sell them back directly to the tailors, who can sell the same handkerchief multiple times on the same day. It's a miracle that the butler came back from there with his jacket still on.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Tumur

Tumur spits out the last of the water in his mouth and backs away. Disease was an evil, cursed thing. If someone did the wrong thing here, they were liable to enrage the god further and make the curse spread! He did not know which god she offended, but it was the duty of a priest to intervene, or one of those "fixers" who claimed to bottle the wrath of the gods. It was the duty of everyone else to shun the person until they were clean again. Tumur was glad to join the shunning... But he felt some responsibility for his foolish battle sister, as they had shed blood together tonight, and she was still standing madly close to the sick woman.

"Come fool!" he shouts at Teresa from a safe distance, "we are no help here. We must find a curer."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


Tumur and
"Old Nicholas!" exclaims an old man. "You got to get to Old Nicholas! He's the local fixer, he'll know what to do!" If you choose to follow his words, he'll tell you where you can find this fixer. It's a fair bit away: can you get there before whatever has struck this woman claims her?

So, if you choose to race for Old Nicholas' shop, we're going to use a variant of the chase rules to represent your run.
You have to traverse 8 zones to get there and back. Doom starts at 3 and could go up or down, depending on circumstances.

Running normally means rolling Quickness and any appropriate history against Doom, and you'll gain 1 zone.
Pushing yourself means doing the same against Doom+1, and you'll gain 2 zones.
Tricks are the usual.
There is a ticking clock, and you have now idea how much time do you have.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

MY PAPER SOLDIERS
FORM A WALL
FIVE PACES THICK AND
TWICE AS TALL


Teresa Steiner

Teresa quickly backs away from the woman, aghast at her state. She gives Tumur a hard glare as she comes nearer, but focuses on the matter at hand. "Where is this fixer, old man?"

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Tumur

Tumur is glad Teresa decided to step away and not further anger the Gods. As she gets directions from the old man he looks around for a runner. Someone young and quick and... Ah, right. Everyone present decided to poison themselves. Perhaps this is why they did it so competitively, for responsibility fell on the least poisoned? Still, it was right for Tumur to run. He disliked running but the gods may have cursed this event because it was held to celebrate a grisly murder, and he would do his part to cleanse himself of sin.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Milo

Clearly there is a sordid mystery here, but the butler is unlikely to divulge now, given that Milo has no leverage to pry with. While it appears that this man would be perfectly happy to discuss in depth the doings of his peers - at least those at arms length - he seems to be willing to go to great lengths to keep his own private life private.

"Alright. I will attempt to recover your letter. First, I need something from you: Write out and address a letter.. actually make that two letters with whatever you use to seal them, just the same as the stolen letter. The contents are not important, copy out a shopping list or the latest edicts, anything." Milo asks, thinking ahead. It could prove useful to have some decoy letters on hand, in more ways than one.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!


Temur

As the man starts giving directions to Teresa, he's unceremoniously lifted in the air! Temur positions him in a piggyback and barrels through the fleeing crowd.

"I do not know why you people like living in mazes, but I am new to this one. Your words will have no meaning to me. I will be your boat, steer me towards this Fixer."

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

*So8*


Tumur and Teresa
You push your way past the crowd, the old man clutching desperately to Tumur; and yet there is a note of excitement in his voice as he points out a shortcut to you.

Lord Cyprien
Some rest and relaxation is exactly what you needed to find your strength, both inner and outer. The book you're reading, a delightful treaty on the studies of magic done by a rogue magician known as Donna Kothryn, also has a very interesting passage wherein she is hosted by a local noble family, right here in Rithaign, and even set up a laboratory there. She mentions an heraldic crest featuring a white horse and a star... why, that sounds like the Goyad crest. You haven't caught their eye quite yet, but you know they will attend the gala. An invitation to their mansion could mean an opportunity to study it, but you'd need to make a good impression first.

The book also mentions that, before being the guest of the Goyads, Donna lived in the bridge quarter, the one built directly on and under the immense bridge that characterizes Rithaign. It's a long shot, but you could investigate, see if you can find someone who knew her back then, maybe dig up some more information. Or you could take on another, short mission. The gala is close now!

Milo
With two letters on you, you walk at a briskly pace towards Blythenhale, but not so fast that a clever pickpocket couldn't reach you if they really wanted to. Apart from the urchins and the tailors, both plying their trades (legitimate or not), you've noticed that a couple of people are following you. A woman with a bandana and an eyepatch and a bald man who moves stiffly. The latter is looking at you the way a dog looks at a juicy, unattended steak.

What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...


Milo

Followers.. Let's see how determined they are...

Milo slowly picks up his pace, trying to smoothly move through increasingly crowded streets to lose his tail without them noticing him noticing. Weaving back and forth, in and out of storefronts he attempts to get behind the two following him.

Are they after the ink I'm carrying, or my blood?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply