Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

awesmoe posted:

SS Patreon: i wonder if Alden gets another commendation out of this?.

1000%. "Exceptional Bravery in the Absence of Obligation" come on. No summons no orders just choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wittgen posted:

Hazel failing to succeed at the decrepit chain while Lute succeeded is extremely strong evidence that power matters. Perception and precise execution also matter, but power does too. I think we have seen the spellcasting side of this with Alden. He noted that he can mess up hand gestures or authority flexing a bit and still successfully cast a spell. I bet he's making up for the faults with raw power.

Regarding the part where Hazel throws the thing, it never actually says which chains she was on - so it's ambiguous whether stacks of the same one were included. All we know is that there were multiple chains and different kinds were mixed in.

I guess we'll find out in time, but I just find it a little implausible that an almost brand-new Avowed, regardless of Rank, has more raw power than Avowed who have been practicing for decades. This would only make sense if Avowed can spend an entire career leveling/training without ever even doubling their initial authority at first affixation.

What does seem plausible is that whatever personal characteristics make Lute good at word-chains also might have something to do with why he became a "double-S" in the first place. For example, during the contest between him and Hazel, my read on that has nothing to do with "raw power" - Lute has spent his entire life practicing music, and applied that experience/effort and (possibly most importantly) ability to focus towards reproducing the exact sounds of the word-chain in question. I can easily see Hazel lacking Lute's ability to think clearly and focus under the pressure of the moment. Actually, it seems kind of strange to attribute that specific incident to power - that was just a single word-chain. Lute was just able to do it more accurately on his first try. I'm not sure how his power would have any bearing on that.

Basically one of Lute's most important talents when it comes to chaining (if not the most important one) is probably the "real," non-magical skills he's honed through practicing music. And it makes sense that this could allow him to surpass all other Chainers - as Lute mentioned, other Avowed (and most Velras are raised on Anesidora) generally don't seriously practice things like music before affixation, since they know a lot of those skills will just be granted to them - why practice hard when you're going to get foundation points in finger dexterity? Other Velras practiced prior to affixation, but it was seemingly mostly memorization, focused on learning Artonan.

I think the key thing here is that word-chains aren't spells that use your authority - your authority isn't making the effects. You can use them without even being an Avowed or a Wizard! So having more metaphorical "fuel in the tank" shouldn't enable you to stack more on the same person.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Supsup 149 I feel like Alden's real superpower is that aliens really like him. Like, really.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Bremen posted:

Supsup 149 I feel like Alden's real superpower is that aliens really like him. Like, really.

Lol, yes, but not all aliens. Bti-qwol, the annoying Artnonan HR organizer for the Leafsong job didn't like him. And most of the Artonan doctors he meets are very jab happy and dismissive. I wonder if Sleyca has had bad experiences with doctors come to think of it?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Sleyca making a story about evil alien neocolonialism and accidentally keeps making all the Artonans funny and charming and kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think if you want to make a story about an evil system, it actually helps a lot to make the people making up that system decidedly unevil.