Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Plorkyeran posted:

I tried to read the official translation of Kumoko and turns out that blastron's translation was the reason I enjoyed it and not the actual story.

same tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
the worst part about blastron's translation is that it ends and the story becomes unreadable garbage

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ytlaya posted:

(these are sort of general spoilers about the direction of the story that you probably shouldn't read, though you can probably read them after the first few arcs since they don't reference any specific plot events) I ended up liking the interludes and later events more because, while Kumoko has a brief period where she's weak and struggling at the beginning, she very quickly attains cheat abilities that are far more lucky and "broken" than anything the other classmates get* (which are more in line with what's "normal" for heroes in that setting). I frequently see people characterize the story as one where "everyone but Kumoko has it easy," but in reality Kumoko very quickly gains ridiculous cheat abilities within the space of like a single year that make her stronger than any of the other human characters you see during the interludes (she probably surpasses them within the first few weeks or something). IIRC the main reason she's completely broken is that she has Pride and her special nature lets her use it without drawbacks + the ability to use the split minds thing to a ridiculous extent, and those things just stack to the extent that she becomes unbeatable by nearly all characters in the setting.

* this is actually pretty common for isekai WNs in general, where the protagonist starts out seeming weak and with other characters (from their class or whatever) being stronger, and then they realize they have some cheat ability and quickly ascend to great power.

It's weird. Chapter 100, or the first set of demon war interludes, marks a real turning point in the story. Everything up to that was pretty interesting. Everything after it seems to be a lot worse. I think that's about where Blastron's translation ends too. I just got to the last Blastron chapter and I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to keep going. I don't think it's so much that she got any specific power that is ridiculous, so much as that the author seems to have gotten fatigued at this point. The fight with the dragon is far less interesting than her first fight with a freaking frog.

Kumoko just suddenly gets all the powers, and the author stops telling us about them before they're used. The multiple minds thing is pretty cute. Gives her someone to talk to and helps showcase her rapidly accelerating mental breakdown.

I think maybe part of the problem is that the author wanted to challenge themselves by taking away her spider threads with the middle strata fire environment, but ended up not rising to the challenge they set themselves. They even resort to giving the threads back temporarily in all of the essential fights.

So far, none of the viewpoint humans have had to struggle for anything. The story even calls this out. It makes Kumoko comparatively more sympathetic, even though she seems to be trending towards full on villain.

The story makes a big point of there not being any crafting skills. But there are magic items. So I'm really curious how magic items, like the appraisal gems, get made.

Sampatrick posted:

the worst part about blastron's translation is that it ends and the story becomes unreadable garbage
I thought you were joking, but I think turb0translation is using "Magic Combat Act" for the same phrase Blastron translated as Battle Magic. The quotation marks are even part of the name now.

So much of the charm was from blastron's skilled translation. Reading anything else is almost painful.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 22, 2020

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Blastron stopped translating right before the low point of the series. the middle strata stuff is boring, and there is a bunch of terrible human sideplot stuff. It picks up again after that, and even has the main character lose their litrpg abilities permanently

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Still slowly plowing through TWI, recently met Mrsha (and won't that be a barrel of laughs in a few chapters).

The [Clown] Chapter was better than I remember, did pirateaba end up doing more of those?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

tithin posted:

Still slowly plowing through TWI, recently met Mrsha (and won't that be a barrel of laughs in a few chapters).

The [Clown] Chapter was better than I remember, did pirateaba end up doing more of those?

eventually

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I started translating it because I wanted people outside of the usual translated-WN-reading crowd to be able to get into it and I’m happy to have succeeded.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Blastron stopped translating right before the low point of the series. the middle strata stuff is boring, and there is a bunch of terrible human sideplot stuff. It picks up again after that, and even has the main character lose their litrpg abilities permanently

It was largely coincidental that I stopped there. That’s about when the official LN translations were announced. It just so happened that the story was in a low point, and although I wasn’t looking forward to slogging through until the MC broke into the underground bunker that controlled the world and used it to ascend to godhood and things started taking off again, I would have put it aside regardless to avoid stepping on the toes of the official release.

blastron fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jun 22, 2020

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

LLSix posted:

What are some good LitRpgs? I'm looking for the ones with stat boxes, character sheets and explicit skill levels. I am not looking for cultivation stories. I've read a lot of them and am looking for something a little bit different.

If you like Threadbare you will probably like Cinnamon Bun.

I personally feel that The New World and Randidly Ghosthound are classics of the genre.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There was some good friend-making in the latest chapter of the daily grind.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

So far, none of the viewpoint humans have had to struggle for anything. The story even calls this out. It makes Kumoko comparatively more sympathetic, even though she seems to be trending towards full on villain.

I forget exactly how the WN is spread out in terms of arcs, but (I have no idea if these are spoilers for you because I forget what part of the "human-side" content corresponds to the part where she's in the lava area - is Shun still in school? if so, probably don't read, otherwise it's probably fine) the human characters only really have it easier during their upbringing, and they end up in a more vulnerable position as a result of not quickly ascending to immense power like Kumoko (or the oni and vampire, who also have the good fortune of ending up monster races).

Basically, even though the story sort of attempts to make Kumoko seem more sympathetic, as a reader I come away with the complete opposite impression. The other characters are basically thrust into dealing with enemies far beyond their "power level" (largely due to being humans in a world where humans are much weaker than even mid-tier monsters). It doesn't help that I don't really like Kumoko's general personality and attitude (which is basically "a highly empowered anti-social character").

Actually, I think a lot of it comes down to disliking Kumoko's character and deeply disliking being stuck inside her head constantly.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I forget exactly how the WN is spread out in terms of arcs, but (I have no idea if these are spoilers for you because I forget what part of the "human-side" content corresponds to the part where she's in the lava area - is Shun still in school? if so, probably don't read, otherwise it's probably fine) the human characters only really have it easier during their upbringing, and they end up in a more vulnerable position as a result of not quickly ascending to immense power like Kumoko (or the oni and vampire, who also have the good fortune of ending up monster races).

Basically, even though the story sort of attempts to make Kumoko seem more sympathetic, as a reader I come away with the complete opposite impression. The other characters are basically thrust into dealing with enemies far beyond their "power level" (largely due to being humans in a world where humans are much weaker than even mid-tier monsters). It doesn't help that I don't really like Kumoko's general personality and attitude (which is basically "a highly empowered anti-social character").

Actually, I think a lot of it comes down to disliking Kumoko's character and deeply disliking being stuck inside her head constantly.

do you know the "twist" behind kumoko?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I'm a third of the way into Cinnamon Bun over on royal road and it's adorable.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I made a discord for discussing web novels but you can also talk about web serials

https://discord.gg/RJfqep

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 26, 2020

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm a third of the way into Cinnamon Bun over on royal road and it's adorable.

There's like 100 more chapters on the Patreon. I couldn't resist.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Newest Katalepsis is pretty great. I'm a big fan of Heather becoming some kinda freaky Outside monster - transhumanism is Cool and Good.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Here, at the end of these forums, my one regret is asking Flesnolk to post that copypasta on my behalf instead of doing it myself.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I'm still looking into it, but I may have figured out what genre MDA is and it might be weird fiction

which is a lot easier to say than eldritch horror sci-fi/dark fantasy a billion other things

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

blastron posted:

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I started translating it because I wanted people outside of the usual translated-WN-reading crowd to be able to get into it and I’m happy to have succeeded.
I like the fact that you tried to avoided transliterting things as much as possible. Stuff like Japanese honorifics are already firmly a part of translation culture and it's nice to read something without them.

Then again I'm the sort of person who think xianxia and xuanhuan terminology like yuanying should have been changed to homunculus and qi should be translated as breath.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I'm still looking into it, but I may have figured out what genre MDA is and it might be weird fiction

which is a lot easier to say than eldritch horror sci-fi/dark fantasy a billion other things

its good OP

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

The Shortest Path posted:

Newest Katalepsis is pretty great. I'm a big fan of Heather becoming some kinda freaky Outside monster - transhumanism is Cool and Good.

Agreed Katalepsis has been going strong the last few weeks. The Transhumanism seems to come with a lot of very real disabling headaches and bruises though. Now I'm not a particularly insightful reader. But I think the story might be trying to tell us that its actually Not Good.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

Tzarnal posted:

Agreed Katalepsis has been going strong the last few weeks. The Transhumanism seems to come with a lot of very real disabling headaches and bruises though. Now I'm not a particularly insightful reader. But I think the story might be trying to tell us that its actually Not Good.

I'm absolutely not going to weigh in on this as paratext, but this is very interesting.

Also I hope this little community manages to survive and/or transplant itself to wherever we all end up soon.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
That WN discord link expired quickly. I take it it's the same discord linked in the Japanese WN thread? Also, maybe both of those could just be their own channels in the TBB discord instead?

Gitro
May 29, 2013
SERIALsly disappointed by the actions of lowtax, SERIAL domestic abuser, owner of this WEBsite.

TO BE FAIR, it might be salvageable if he BOWs out of the community. I don't think it's WILD to assume he might do it, but my UNDERSTANDing of him is a man who, in addition to being an abusive piece of poo poo, does not HAVE A VERY HIGH IQ.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Just putting up a reminder link for the Book Barn discord:

https://discord.gg/jgBDB25

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
bread and roses has a very underutilized web serial thread, if anyone wants to head over that way

nightchild12
Jan 8, 2005
hi i'm sexy

Anyone have suggestions for time loop stories (not time travel, I usually hate time travel)? I've read Mother of Learning and enjoyed it, and just finished what exists of The Menocht Loop on Royal Road which is much higher quality than the normal RR fare (admittedly a very very low bar). Non webfiction I've read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

nightchild12 posted:

Anyone have suggestions for time loop stories (not time travel, I usually hate time travel)? I've read Mother of Learning and enjoyed it, and just finished what exists of The Menocht Loop on Royal Road which is much higher quality than the normal RR fare (admittedly a very very low bar). Non webfiction I've read The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August.

its a web comic, and it involves quite a bit of time travel as well as loops, but http://all-night-laundry.com is quite good!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

nightchild12 posted:

The Wheel of Time (lol).

I'm struggling to come up with serious suggestions. I've seen them used as like a single book or episode or background, but they're not often the central focus.

Russian Doll was pretty good, but it's a Netflix series, and I wouldn't have wanted it to be any longer.

Google spat this out for me: https://litreactor.com/columns/watch-out-for-that-first-step-its-a-doozy-the-top-ten-time-loop-stories

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

A big flaming stink posted:

do you know the "twist" behind kumoko?

If you mean that she was actually a spider, yeah. Kumoko as a character makes sense, but that doesn't mean I enjoy having her be a PoV character.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Loved PracGuide today (Tantamount). Especially Yannu. So refreshing to have an honor/warrior culture in a fantasy work that doesn't feel like they take that cultural focus to a ridiculous extreme, and don't care about anything else.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Katalepsis 8.4 lmao heather literally t-posed to assert dominance

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I hope that Heather and Raine have themselves a big, long talk at some point- there've been extenuating circumstances every time, but Heather's been a pretty lousy partner these last few chapters. :(

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

nightchild12 posted:

just finished what exists of The Menocht Loop on Royal Road which is much higher quality than the normal RR fare (admittedly a very very low bar).

Sorry no loop suggestions but read up to current on Menocht Loop and enjoyed it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Although almost wish I found it later with more chapters. At least book 1 is finished so that was a satisfying conclusion.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
TWI 7.31 Patreon

I attempted to make the following comment on the chapter twice but it was moderated both times, so I will post here instead

Attempting to post again because apparently my first post didn’t make the cut (which isn’t a great sign).

As always, I enjoyed reading this chapter. That said, from my (admittedly narrow) leftist American perspective, the timing and themes of this chapter are a little poorly thought out. People around the world are currently protesting against the use of state sanctioned violence against the disenfranchised, so a chapter that seems to glorify, or at the very least deem necessary, said violence leaves a sour taste in my mouth. That Erin, the ultimate peacekeeper herself would become the mouthpiece for violently suppressing legitimately enraged protesters is truly upsetting. Obviously you can craft a story where riots turn violent and murderous, but 1) that is so totally divorced from the reality of our current uprising that it’s borderline offensive and 2) is that really a story anyone needs to read right now?

I hope this comment makes it through. Have a nice day!

Anyways, those are my thoughts. Frankly, a disappointing chapter.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I got modded for posting an "antifa supersoldier" comment in a worm fanfic thread where Taylor literally spends the first quarter of the story doing nothing but kill Nazis.

The rest of the internet is garbage, which just makes the forums dying that much sadder.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Silynt posted:

TWI 7.31 Patreon

I attempted to make the following comment on the chapter twice but it was moderated both times, so I will post here instead

Attempting to post again because apparently my first post didn’t make the cut (which isn’t a great sign).

As always, I enjoyed reading this chapter. That said, from my (admittedly narrow) leftist American perspective, the timing and themes of this chapter are a little poorly thought out. People around the world are currently protesting against the use of state sanctioned violence against the disenfranchised, so a chapter that seems to glorify, or at the very least deem necessary, said violence leaves a sour taste in my mouth. That Erin, the ultimate peacekeeper herself would become the mouthpiece for violently suppressing legitimately enraged protesters is truly upsetting. Obviously you can craft a story where riots turn violent and murderous, but 1) that is so totally divorced from the reality of our current uprising that it’s borderline offensive and 2) is that really a story anyone needs to read right now?

I hope this comment makes it through. Have a nice day!

Anyways, those are my thoughts. Frankly, a disappointing chapter.

just fyi, pirateaba responded to your initial comment on the discord:

pirateaba posted:

Just so we're clear: there is no way this chapter is NOT topical. But also, there were riots after frauds ended. It's a logical conclusion that a bunch of [Lords] would try that regardless of what might happening in the world.

This is definitely NOT a 1-1 comparison. I wouldn't dare preach, and it shouldn't be that. Nor is any one character 'right'. Even Erin. They're just acting as they would do. If they seem like they're acting out of character, then we have a problem.

e: also she said that she was asleep so she couldnt approve your second comment

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 29, 2020

asur
Dec 28, 2012
The latest TWI chapter is a little bizarre in that it seems to have stepped directly into recent events without a message. The previous Paetron version was contrived but had a feel good ending that avoided the issue.

I do think that Erin's response is very typical of her. Attempt to stop everyone by distracting them and if that doesn't work then resort to non lethal violence and somehow in all of this manage to meet people that help her in the long run. She abhors killing, but has very few issues with violence which is likely exacerbated by both the world being extremely violent and the magic of healing potions.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
So the public chapter brings made me realize where the gently caress Excel is for those peeps with laptops. Why is the UN group doing bookkeeping manually? Erin didn't get her hands on a laptop until recently, so that's one excuse there.

And it's not like the ubiquitous iPhones all these earthers have don't come with Numbers.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I caught up with HWFWM over the weekend, and holy poo poo that dude's out of ideas. The first chunk is really strong, it feels like it starts teetering on the brink a bit when he makes his team and starts doing adventurer stuff, but holy crap does it feel like quality falls off a cliff around the time Sophia joins the team. I finished V1 because I liked the early stuff, but I think if I'd picked it up around the time all the builder crap started happening I never would've gotten through more than a chapter or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
HWFWM? Oh, no, the cool litrpg isekai readers are on Cinnamon Bun now.