Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm pretty sure that's just the rate for the "winning" chapters. At 25 cents per word, 200k/year is not enough to cover her output even if we capped it to 20000 words per chapter. Or maybe imposing a real financial constraint is how pirateaba caps the length of their own writing :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Just do it the real web serial way - write the chapter, then roll dice to delete lines until you can afford the editing budget.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

She makes well over 200k a year and I've gotten the impression from some of the things she's said/implied in Discord that she doesn't spend a whole lot on herself, so paying that much to get a really fuckin good editor is probably a great deal for her.

There's still no way she can afford that rate beyond the competition. Even if she had ~200k to spend, that's a around of 800,000 words at $0.25 a word. Volume 6 was 1.6 million words, volume 7 was 1.3 million.

Selkie Myth
May 25, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Stuff that I've read lately:

Beneath the Dragoneye Moons - Standard isekai, kind of like how Beware of Chicken is in many ways a standard xianxia. Much like that one it's a hell of a lot more captivating than I would normally find such a standard genre fiction. It has a fairly gritty and depressing setting, but with a relentless tone of youthful optimism. I like it a lot.

Not a ton to say, besides I'm the author, and love that you like it! Thank you!

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Good God the recent chapters of hwfwm have managed to sour me even more on the story and I've been pretty sour on it ever since the geo-political conflict began heating up. I thought Thadwick was a good sign and future antagonists would get similar levels of development but they're all so incredibly bland and one note now it's absurd. Ugh.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Yeah, Evil Goku isn't particularly interesting. And your friends are dead because you weren't strong enough to saaaaaave theeeeeeeem is such a lazy shonen-style trope. I really hope that Dawn saved them via shenanigans otherwise I'll be pretty soured on this arc.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The entirety of What Even Is Harmony is up now on http://whatisharmony.com/

I'd love to know if any of you have read it and what your thoughts are.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Selkie Myth posted:

I certainly binged Dragoneye Moons after the recommendation here, it starts slow and the main character learning pretty 'common knowledge' parts of her new world when in her teens was a little offputting, but once the story hits its stride after the first arc I really enjoy it. Not to mention the combination of Dinosaurs plus Republican Rome is unique and fun.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Hey Delve is actually a nice and slow serial. It’s paradoxical that I enjoy the slowness but still want him to do more time skips though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Travelogue of the Stars Above is still updating btw.

quote:

PRAISE BE TO GOD, the merciful, the compassionate, and peace be upon his Prophet Muhammad. This record is that of Rigel ibn Amir, ibn Hassan, ibn Salib, in which he recalls his travels of the worlds above Mount Qaf, and of them, the histories, cultures, and idiosyncrasies of the cultures, races, and peoples who live amidst them, numbering the Cynocephali, the Bleymeds, and Puesedojinn.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
This is the most delightful web serial I have ever read and its updates brighten my day like nothing else.

It's the Medieval Islamic Scholar's Guide to the Galaxy.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I am not sure if anyone has already recommended The Last Human on Royal Road but it is unexpected and good, if I had bought this as a random sci-fi novel from a new author I would probably put it in my 'decent and watch to see what they publish next' category.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

just read this, Sepharajuna of Yesterday is extremely loving :krad:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Patrat posted:

I certainly binged Dragoneye Moons after the recommendation here, it starts slow and the main character learning pretty 'common knowledge' parts of her new world when in her teens was a little offputting, but once the story hits its stride after the first arc I really enjoy it. Not to mention the combination of Dinosaurs plus Republican Rome is unique and fun.

I dunno, it made sense to me. But I'd agree that the first bit in her home city is the weakest. Once it gets on the road it really falls into place.

Also now that I'm caught up, the latest chapter was going to piss me off, but then I remembered that Elaine is a strategic asset at this point so it makes complete sense

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 25, 2021

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
The latest chapter did bother me a bit with how "look how awesome the MC is" it is, but the author basically said that he wanted to move the story along rather than bogging things down with another round and it'd be weird to timeskip over one, which sure, makes sense.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I finished Pith. I dunno, I was really hoping Ana would realize that the Common Foundation were the good guys compared to Paragon. The ending basically went 'eh, all sides are bad' and felt like kind of a wet fart to me.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peachfart posted:

I finished Pith. I dunno, I was really hoping Ana would realize that the Common Foundation were the good guys compared to Paragon. The ending basically went 'eh, all sides are bad' and felt like kind of a wet fart to me.

That's why I keep saying I think the author is a lib cuz even the command staff in Commonplace has a variation on this attitude. You'd think that revolutionaries would have a more nuanced process, but except forthe leader chick everyone else is shockingly mercenary, or a cartoon villain who's only in to it because they get to shoot people. Even then, they're still heroes compared to Paragon lol.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Still on Pith: 'Oh, now I'm in charge of the mob. I'm going to stay in charge of the mob, get rid of all the illegal activities the mob is doing, and everything will be fine.'

????

Honestly I was really liking the story but the last 'arc'(like 15ish chapters) completely fails the landing.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Selkie Myth posted:

Binged it, enjoyed it. Keep it up!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I recently caught up with Practical Guide to Evil. What were goons thoughts on the last/most recent Book? To me, it felt a lot like The Empire Strikes Back. The protagonists get clobbered over and over and over again. I thought there were a few excellent moments, but overall, it wasn't very satisfying to read. How many times is Cat going to get away with feeding The Peregrine into the grinder to pay for her mistakes?

The intro chapters try to justify why Cat is not playing the story and instead all of a sudden stupidly fighting like a general again; when the only thing that's ever gotten her is a shattered army. I'm not sure it sold me completely on the justification.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Peachfart posted:

Still on Pith: 'Oh, now I'm in charge of the mob. I'm going to stay in charge of the mob, get rid of all the illegal activities the mob is doing, and everything will be fine.'

????

Honestly I was really liking the story but the last 'arc'(like 15ish chapters) completely fails the landing.

sorry but do you think pith is completely done?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

LLSix posted:

I recently caught up with Practical Guide to Evil. What were goons thoughts on the last/most recent Book? To me, it felt a lot like The Empire Strikes Back. The protagonists get clobbered over and over and over again. I thought there were a few excellent moments, but overall, it wasn't very satisfying to read. How many times is Cat going to get away with feeding The Peregrine into the grinder to pay for her mistakes?

The intro chapters try to justify why Cat is not playing the story and instead all of a sudden stupidly fighting like a general again; when the only thing that's ever gotten her is a shattered army. I'm not sure it sold me completely on the justification.

It wasn't the best book, but it effectively communicated that the Neshamah is actually a threat and that Cat can lose where it actually matters. Prior to this Cat and the alliance were supposedly slowly losing but it didn't matter since she had her army and no one had died.

Whether it's good or not depends entirely on how the story continues to evolve and if it's interesting.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

LLSix posted:

well, she won't be able to do that anymore, to start with.

Anyway, I'm not sure there can be a satisfying conclusion to the story if I'm being completely honest - this was supposed to be the last book only now we've got an extensive delay.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

LLSix posted:

Personally, I thought the first part, with the big back and forth in the Arsenal, was tons of fun, but the pitched warfare wasn't very interesting at all. And Neshamah is a much less compelling antagonist than the Bard, or even Malicia, so I kept hoping the book would wrap him up as the villain even as it felt obvious it wouldn't.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I too liked the dead king better when he was just window dressing.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Myriad Truths posted:

Personally, I thought the first part, with the big back and forth in the Arsenal, was tons of fun, but the pitched warfare wasn't very interesting at all. And Neshamah is a much less compelling antagonist than the Bard, or even Malicia, so I kept hoping the book would wrap him up as the villain even as it felt obvious it wouldn't.

Agreed.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Myriad Truths posted:

Yeah, I think how Neshamah fights as a giant calculating tarpit with large reserves of bullshit was correctly portrayed, it just wasn't fun to read at all. The narrative justification for Cat's defeat, that she needs to go back east to defeat Malicia first to meet her role, feels like a bad beat. I might have cared about that a few books ago but it really feels like if the hobbits went all the way back to the Shire just before the siege of Mordor. It's weirdly low stakes now.

I mean maybe that's the point of the super convenient depowering of the Night just before Cat gets her name, but eh, it's hard to be excited for what's essentially a mandatory fetch quest before the real boss fights against the Bard and Neshamah.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

Catherine is basically skilled at large-scale Named combat, where "how you position and command the various Named" is important and heavily dependent upon "story instinct." She's also basically the only person who can corral all these villains. Story savvy is also important when it comes to broader strategy (and it seems like she leaves minutae of the non-Named aspects to battles to the generals).

Also, Catherine did have essentially equal battlefield command with Klaus, and the only other commander of similar tier, Juniper, was out of commission.

I feel like if things didn't go poorly, it would have been kind of unbelievable, since the Dead King has his reputation for a reason.

edit: I miss Pilgrim, because he was Catherine's only real peer who isn't some sort of ancient abomination like Dead King or Bard. White Knight doesn't really have the same sort perspective. Hopefully we see some development from Black in the coming arc, since losing his Name is basically a metaphysical sign of significant change in character.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 1, 2021

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I liked the start of Book 7 for the Guide.

Man, Cordelia really didn't understand what she was starting when she called a crusade. Her recalling Rozala because she (in her mind) needs to keep the next ruler of Procer safe was just sad.

I loved how Malicia went from "everything's going according to plan, I reign supreme" to "wait, she did what?" within 10 seconds. It'll be interesting to see what Cat's plan is here.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Narmi posted:

I liked the start of Book 7 for the Guide.

Man, Cordelia really didn't understand what she was starting when she called a crusade. Her recalling Rozala because she (in her mind) needs to keep the next ruler of Procer safe was just sad.

I loved how Malicia went from "everything's going according to plan, I reign supreme" to "wait, she did what?" within 10 seconds. It'll be interesting to see what Cat's plan is here.

It's kind of interesting how it's extremely obvious that Malicia is hosed from a story standpoint (I feel like losing Black basically doomed her, since she's never seemed particularly savvy with story instinct in the same way as Black or Catherine), but there's still the important factor of "preventing her from doing devastating harm in the process" like Akua.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Uh looks like it just dropped, but Threadbare is back!

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I enjoyed Threadbare a lot but never got into Small Medium. How does the new stuff fit in? Would I be lost?

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008
It is a direct sequel to Threadbare.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ytlaya posted:

It's kind of interesting how it's extremely obvious that Malicia is hosed from a story standpoint (I feel like losing Black basically doomed her, since she's never seemed particularly savvy with story instinct in the same way as Black or Catherine), but there's still the important factor of "preventing her from doing devastating harm in the process" like Akua.

What about this update made you think Malicia is hosed? I agree, but she has been since book 5, or maybe even book 4 when she was relegated to a sidequest. To my eyes, this chapter, much like the epilogue before it, was an attempt to rehabilitate her into a credible threat.

It's interesting that Malicia can just hand names out like candy. She made a new Black Knight out of whole cloth and is withholding the appointment of a new Warlock out of sentiment.

Gosh, I hope Cat doesn't become the next Dread Empress. Things seem to have been building that way for a while what with the way her name gives her authority over other Named. There aren't that many names like that which we've seen. To be just another Dread Empress after all she's been and done would seem small and petty indeed.

navyjack posted:

Uh looks like it just dropped, but Threadbare is back!

A direct sequel to Threadbare would be good news! It's one of my favorite serials and Small/Medium was only okay compared to it.

Neat, it looks like the new stuff is being added as more chapters to the original on RR. Here's the first new chapter. It starts off strongly reminiscent of the original at first glance.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 4, 2021

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

What about this update made you think Malicia is hosed? I agree, but she has been since book 5, or maybe even book 6 when she was relegated to a sidequest. To my eyes, this chapter, much like the epilogue before it, was an attempt to rehabilitate her into a credible threat.

It's interesting that Malicia can just hand names out like candy. She made a new Black Knight out of whole cloth and is withholding the appointment of a new Warlock out of sentiment.

Gosh, I hope Cat doesn't become the next Dread Empress. Things seem to have been building that way for a while what with the way her name gives her authority over other Named. There aren't that many names like that which we've seen. To be just another Dread Empress after all she's been and done would seem small and petty indeed.

She's hosed in the sense that she's crossed the line into being essentially a typical Dread Empress with stuff like supporting Akua's super-weapon - just one that is exceptionally good at intrigue/plotting. She always relied on Black to deal with heroes and story-related stuff and probably wouldn't have lasted this long if not for him.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

LLSix posted:

What about this update made you think Malicia is hosed? I agree, but she has been since book 5, or maybe even book 6 when she was relegated to a sidequest. To my eyes, this chapter, much like the epilogue before it, was an attempt to rehabilitate her into a credible threat.

Black is hearing the song and seems highly likely to become the next emperor. Cat has been hearing it on and off, but from what I remember the last reference was her pretending to hear it. It's also not clear to me that the Empress name has power over good named which Cat does.

Its not entirely clear that it's possible but her receiving a name that is either explicitly neutral, or supported by both sides, fits the arc of her story. The twist option is she receives a Good name.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Honestly I think the story outgrew Malicia as a character around the third book (or volume, or whatever). Once the Akua stuff resolved the story spun off in a million directions with a zillion different characters and very little focus, and 90% of her appearances since then have been to go "Aha, I did this thing offscreen and am now relevant again, fear me mortals!"

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

She screwed herself over the second she decided having a giant flying fortress that spews demons was a good idea for a deterrent because "people wouldn't dare attack her once they knew about it!" It's just been a slow death spiral since that, with her becoming more and more like just another Dread Empress, albeit still much smarter and more politically savvy. Just not good with stories, which was Black's job.

LLSix posted:

Because she's going "It's all going according to my master plan! I always win!" She just doesn't get how stories have weight like Cat or Back or even Hanno do, and she's making mistakes that she views as necessary because she doesn't see where it leads her story.

The only reason she was a background character was because the Dead King was a much more immediate threat and she was content to hole up in the tower and fight her civil war instead of reaching beyond Praes.

And I doubt she's withholding the appointment of a new Warlock purely out of sentiment. It's more like she knows she needs people she can trust completely to have her back, and given the history of Pareas I can't say she's wrong. It seems like she was raising a new one in Wolof too, we'll have to wait and see what she meant by "filling in the fourth seat" with someone from there.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 3, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
“Hello Master,” the limpet said. She came closer, then eyed the floating image. “Is that a... sort of projection?”

“It is,” I said. “This is what we used to call an MMORTS viewer.”

“What’s that stand for?”

“Massive Magical Ocular, Real Time Skeleton viewer,” I said. “It allows you to see where your troops are in real time, and with the right magics, you can communicate and direct them around at your leisure. I find war far more enjoyable from the comfort of a nice armchair. Perhaps with a warm drink.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So I’ve been reading delve lately and it’s a real loving numbers go up story. But it’s also good? It’s slow as gently caress but that was just nice when I had 130 chapters to read through and it seems like it’s increasing the pace a lot lately.

I like it.

Patreon spoiler because I couldn’t resist 7 more chapters for 2 dollars.
it’s a bit weird that they didn’t bring at least Carter with them downstairs if the goal is to increase people’s power. He’s durable enough to survive it.