Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
If tightly edited is what you’re looking for, the longest English language work of fiction ever written probably isn’t it.

Silynt fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The padding remains but generally improves and the goblins are cool and you will cry when they start all loving dying. The ants are awkward and olesm's a dork.

I don't remember rape goblins being a thing in the weirder early sections while pirate was figuring things out though so uh

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
It's kind of hard to be objective after the first few million words of regularly scheduled web serial, and there are definitely some earlier bits which don't fit right with later canon.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I don't remember rape goblins being a thing in the weirder early sections while pirate was figuring things out though so uh

the first hobgoblin we meet is, uh, not a very good person

honestly TWI does improve by leaps and bounds imo. volume 1 is not very reflective of the story as a whole

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Neurophage posted:

Does it get any better, or should I stop now?

TWI never got better before I dropped it. Rather, it adds several new characters that I find less likeable than Erin. Your mileage may vary.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

LLSix posted:

TWI never got better before I dropped it. Rather, it adds several new characters that I find less likeable than Erin. Your mileage may vary.

They grow on you.

You just have to read the second million words, and maybe the third, then you won't be able to put it down until the end. Well, maybe a fourth million words to get over your dislike of some of the side characters becoming more significant. Whoo though, it's not until about six million words that that one king doesn't suck but at least the tolerable characters in their bits have split off now.

It's like the three episode test for anime, or the first 30 hours before final fantasy thirteen really opens up and you finish the tutorial.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

90s Cringe Rock posted:

They grow on you.

You just have to read the second million words, and maybe the third, then you won't be able to put it down until the end. Well, maybe a fourth million words to get over your dislike of some of the side characters becoming more significant. Whoo though, it's not until about six million words that that one king doesn't suck but at least the tolerable characters in their bits have split off now.

It's like the three episode test for anime, or the first 30 hours before final fantasy thirteen really opens up and you finish the tutorial.
hey now that was only fifteen hours if you didn't suck at FFXIII

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Erin and Ryoka are the least interesting characters in the beginning (they both vastly improve later), if you're not enjoying the other parts of the story in the first volume, things probably won't change much for you.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Near the start of TWI Erin says "gently caress you" to Lism and in retrospect I really can't imagine a scene like that being written with Erin as she is now.

But also yeah while TWI is a lot of great things... "tight" is not one of them. Imagine if the filler episodes of anime were canon and were the best part of the anime; that's what this is. Which isn't meant to be disparaging; the slice of life stuff is genuinely enjoyable once she's in a regular groove of interacting with people! FWIW rape goblins are definitely not a thing in TWI and the one time I remember it even being mentioned it's not something that happens onscreen and is explicitly prevented.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

TWI is like if Dragon Ball Z devoted a season's worth of episodes to Piccolo's driving test and a few vehicular adventures besides, with a big war sequence at DMV for the finale of the season. It ends with hundreds of innocents dying, but Piccolo becomes recognized as a licensed driver in the eyes of the whole city and Gohan gets a cool robot eye so it's ok.

Yamcha finds love after giving up the art of punching men and setting up a flower shop instead, also. This takes up half the season.

Neurophage posted:

Unrelated to the Wandering Inn, I recently finished Book 1 of Into the Mire, which was very good and the length of a normal novel. Are there any more web novels like it?

Short answer, no. I don't think there's anything like it out there. There are worthwhile reads and interesting worlds out there, but nothing written in such an economical yet robust way. Maybe a Practical Guide to Evil is somewhere in that vein? I think the Charlatan side-story showcases the appeal of the work pretty well. Everything in the Extra Chapters section does, really.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I made it several million words in. The writing does improve, though it never stops being absurdly verbose. I eventually gave up because of that; the highs were high, but I felt like I had to slog through molasses to get there.

Argue posted:

FWIW rape goblins are definitely not a thing in TWI and the one time I remember it even being mentioned it's not something that happens onscreen and is explicitly prevented.
What? Yeah, Erin almost gets raped onscreen, then later there's a whole dungeon with human women being constantly raped by goblins (offscreen though you see the women after they're rescued). There's also another almost-rape with Ceria, though it's not with a goblin.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Neurophage posted:

I started reading The Wandering Inn recently and I'm now about halfway through volume 1. Does it get any better, or should I stop now?

Unrelated to the Wandering Inn, I recently finished Book 1 of Into the Mire, which was very good and the length of a normal novel. Are there any more web novels like it?

TWI prose gets a bit better but stays fluffy and with some extremely awkward constructions. The writer gets better at what they're good at: interesting settings, madcap converging climaxes, and anime-esque archetypal characters.

When you say like it, what do you mean? Good prose and novel length? In setting or tone?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah I didn't remember that Erin one at all and the dungeon is what I was referring to in the second part. But the notion I was trying to disabuse them of was the idea that goblins are just there to act as depraved grimdark villains. Those examples do not make them a thing, and just to be clear, by "it's not a thing", I mean that goblins are by and large not rapists and we don't get a million or even 2 thousand words about the ones who are.

edit: we may have a difference of vocabulary here, so to double-clarify, my use of "a thing" means that the very rare instances of it don't feature prominently in the story at all, and that they aren't any sort of key plot element when they do. If your definition of "a thing" is "they exist" then yeah they're a thing.

Argue fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 15, 2021

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Oh. Those goblins. Yeah.

They're the ones the other goblins hate because they're becoming more like humans and doing human poo poo like rape, but yes, they definitely exist and are awful. And that's definitely not the early stages of the story, either, that's after Pirate's got her tone and setting figured out, please don't read my "the early bits don't represent the real story" as including them.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

TWI prose gets a bit better but stays fluffy and with some extremely awkward constructions. The writer gets better at what they're good at: interesting settings, madcap converging climaxes, and anime-esque archetypal characters.

When you say like it, what do you mean? Good prose and novel length? In setting or tone?

Good prose mostly, although reasonable length wouldn't hurt. Into the Mire was genuinely well written, better than many published fantasy novels actually.

Argue posted:

Yeah I didn't remember that Erin one at all and the dungeon is what I was referring to in the second part. But the notion I was trying to disabuse them of was the idea that goblins are just there to act as depraved grimdark villains. Those examples do not make them a thing, and just to be clear, by "it's not a thing", I mean that goblins are by and large not rapists and we don't get a million or even 2 thousand words about the ones who are.

edit: we may have a difference of vocabulary here, so to double-clarify, my use of "a thing" means that the very rare instances of it don't feature prominently in the story at all, and that they aren't any sort of key plot element when they do. If your definition of "a thing" is "they exist" then yeah they're a thing.

That was my worry, yes. Good to know.

catgirlgenius posted:

Short answer, no. I don't think there's anything like it out there. There are worthwhile reads and interesting worlds out there, but nothing written in such an economical yet robust way. Maybe a Practical Guide to Evil is somewhere in that vein? I think the Charlatan side-story showcases the appeal of the work pretty well. Everything in the Extra Chapters section does, really.

Practical Guide is the only other serial I'm currently reading. I like it. It's not perfect(bad editing, some of the banter is awkward, I preferred the smaller scale conflicts to the Dead King plot), but it's fun to check up on once a week.

I'll keep reading TWI at least until the end of the first volume. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Neurophage posted:

I started reading The Wandering Inn recently and I'm now about halfway through volume 1.

a)I don't have very high standards for web novel prose but this:

is terrible. And the dialogue is so full of pointless padding:

b)It's hard to say anything about the story itself, because very little has happened after about 100k words. Wildbow feels tightly edited compared to this.

c)Rape goblins

Does it get any better, or should I stop now?

It gets better once the cast is massive and it's willing to spend time on them just loving around doing nothing. There's a couple chapters about Erin teaching her friends to play baseball that are two of the best chapters in the story up to that point. Nothing happens in them. They just play baseball.

All of the best chapters are like that.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Sometimes even a terriblemasterwork story has a spark of genius, and Tower of Arnold: a Somnus Story has had its:

"The two of them traveled around, doing RPG stuff and adventuring. They did a lot of stuff involving stats and systems, but Arnold didn’t really think any of that was interesting, so he just sort of skipped over it mentally."

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Ugh, the loving references in Delve today. Think I might be close to dropping it. That plus the glacial pacing is no fun.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Delve is weird because it is well written, but things move even slower than TWI, and it updates even less frequently and with far shorter chapters.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
it's like twi but with giant blue boxes that start with things like "include titleawards.h"

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Two new chapters of Worth the Candle up, finally going into the Fel Seed exclusion zone.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Cicero posted:

Two new chapters of Worth the Candle up, finally going into the Fel Seed exclusion zone.

Are these the chapters that will finally get me to rage-quit? Let’s find out!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Sometimes even a terriblemasterwork story has a spark of genius, and Tower of Arnold: a Somnus Story has had its:

"The two of them traveled around, doing RPG stuff and adventuring. They did a lot of stuff involving stats and systems, but Arnold didn’t really think any of that was interesting, so he just sort of skipped over it mentally."

Is this some spinoff of the Tower of Somnus? Because if so, I will read it immediately. The Tower of Somnus is amazing.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

LLSix posted:

Is this some spinoff of the Tower of Somnus? Because if so, I will read it immediately. The Tower of Somnus is amazing.
The author claims to have read a lot of Men Writing Women as research.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/42330/tower-of-arnold-a-somnus-story

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

navyjack posted:

Are these the chapters that will finally get me to rage-quit? Let’s find out!
If you could handle the last chapter of the previous batch, which was WAY more hosed up and uncomfortable than Juniper loving the deer lady god offscreen, then no, probably not.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
I did lol at the ending.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

The surprising thing here is (WtC) that there wasn't a surprise. Normally against the "unbeatable final boss" you'd expect that the hero and his party would manage some miraculous rear end pull to eke out victory. It might come at a high cost, with companions and maybe even the hero himself dying, but "unbeatable final boss really is unbeatable after all; hero dies like a chump" is not how stories generally go.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
I finished the first volume of TWI and I don't think I'm going to continue. First volume was like 300k words, I can't commit to 7 million more even if people tell me that the quality improves. I already did the same thing with Worm, where past Leviathan the story was supposed to get drastically better. It actually got worse, but by the time I'd finished the Slaughterhouse 9 arc, I stuck due to sunk cost.

I understand the appeal of The Wandering Inn though(stream-of-consciousness fantasy soap opera) and it still managed to hold my interest longer than any RR story I've tried out.

How's Pith? I tried a couple of chapters and it gave me very strong Worm flashbacks, albeit with better writing.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Don't worry that you're missing out on TWI. If it works its way into your head you'll come back anyway, and if not you'll be able to read like an extra novel a week.

I could not handle Pith for very long, but not for quality reasons.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Amazon Vella: Bezos' Royalroad Webnovel.com!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjBoQrFgOms

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Megazver posted:

Amazon Vella: Bezos' Royalroad Webnovel.com!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjBoQrFgOms

Restrictions on releasing material elsewhere kneecaps this completely.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Neurophage posted:

I finished the first volume of TWI and I don't think I'm going to continue. First volume was like 300k words, I can't commit to 7 million more even if people tell me that the quality improves. I already did the same thing with Worm, where past Leviathan the story was supposed to get drastically better. It actually got worse, but by the time I'd finished the Slaughterhouse 9 arc, I stuck due to sunk cost.

I understand the appeal of The Wandering Inn though(stream-of-consciousness fantasy soap opera) and it still managed to hold my interest longer than any RR story I've tried out.

How's Pith? I tried a couple of chapters and it gave me very strong Worm flashbacks, albeit with better writing.

Pith... Good but also has its issues. I gave up on it when I got more and more angry at the protagonist at how dumb they were, over things that I won't spoil you on. Also I personally believe the story quality starts to slip about halfway through the first story arc.
But it is definitely worth a read.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Holy absolute poo poo Hungry, you could have this latest chapter of Katalepsis stretch for like the next dozen chapters and I would still be hanging off every word. The downtime just in the hallway house for monsters or attempting interdimensional conquest are both great.

Easily my favourite work of fiction I've read in a long time, regardless of form.

Jade Mage fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 19, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I too started to hate Pith's helplessly naive cast but it appears that Anabelle has finally learned some stuff. It just seems like she really should have toughened up sooner. But what do I know? If I'm honest my world view largely hasnt changed like hers did. Maybe I would take a while to adapt too.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Cicero posted:

Ugh, the loving references in Delve today. Think I might be close to dropping it. That plus the glacial pacing is no fun.

Check out Ar'kendrithyst, someone recommended it as an alternative to Delve and it excelled at that for me.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ar'kendrythist pwns and is one of my top 5

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

First four books of Mage Errant are free.

Stumbled across the author's reddit post while looking for something new to read so no idea if they're any good.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Hungry posted:

Restrictions on releasing material elsewhere kneecaps this completely.

It's only for US writers, too, which is very strange. I feel like the tokens thing is going to make it difficult, and compound an issue online fiction already has - you can just hop on Amazon Kindle and buy something complete for like five bucks. A few sites have tried the 'pay to unlock chapters' route before but I'm not sure how well it's worked out.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

EDIT: Lol never mind, I found it.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

It's only for US writers, too, which is very strange. I feel like the tokens thing is going to make it difficult, and compound an issue online fiction already has - you can just hop on Amazon Kindle and buy something complete for like five bucks. A few sites have tried the 'pay to unlock chapters' route before but I'm not sure how well it's worked out.

The pay per chapter thing seems to be working in chinese web novel market, and also to some degree in the official translation channels. Long running big works that get translated, often Xianxia stuff will run into thousands and thousands of chapters.

Personally it mostly feels to me like amazon just cynically trying to muscle in on existing markets they are not a part of. Can't have people making money in books or writing that isn't going to amazon in some way. Can't stop what already happened in China but we better make sure we become the only viable avenue for this in America, then the rest of the english reading world soon after, etc.