Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Also, according to their last chapters, they haven't done much writing in the last two months because a) the Kindle prep b) their beloved cat died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Ar'Kendrythist Patreon: Bwahahahaha

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was totally hoping for a scene like Peculiar Soul with Erick flying a fortress or something over the Sovereign Cities and unleashing death. But I guess what we'll get is just as good lol. 'Go on, do it then' type of vibe.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ar'Kendrithyst Patreon : I'm glad it was pointed out that the Sovereign Cities are run by morons, because at this point Erick is just shy of an actual God, and probably more difficult to kill. But I hope for as little violence as possible, though I accept that some very terrible people need to die.
They are super hosed though.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Like, what is their play here? He is so powerful and aligned with the world's major powers. I get they're dumb neocon royals but jeez. They are least had some ability to lie and manipulate when they hosed over Jane.

I wonder if they do have some lead weaponry. An advanced version of the lead missile we saw when the treeehome Archmage's brother went mask off? Feels like this might be direct fallout from the secret meeting we saw a couple chapters ago.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Ar'Kendrithyst Patreon: This is happening right before New Shadow's Feast, so I place 50/50 odds that this was prompted by the trickery of some idiot Shade who did it so they could try to get in Erick's good books, and that we will find this out during the literal "explain what good you did for the world this year" bragging session at said Feast. Zolan DOES point out that the awful leadership of the nobles and the perpetuation of a deliberately bad culture is the exact sort of seemingly-intractable problem that Erick works to solve, and now he has an excuse and an opportunity to do it. "Having some people try to help you is almost more problematic than having them as enemies" is something of a theme with Erick.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Einander posted:

Ar'Kendrithyst Patreon: This is happening right before New Shadow's Feast, so I place 50/50 odds that this was prompted by the trickery of some idiot Shade who did it so they could try to get in Erick's good books, and that we will find this out during the literal "explain what good you did for the world this year" bragging session at said Feast. Zolan DOES point out that the awful leadership of the nobles and the perpetuation of a deliberately bad culture is the exact sort of seemingly-intractable problem that Erick works to solve, and now he has an excuse and an opportunity to do it. "Having some people try to help you is almost more problematic than having them as enemies" is something of a theme with Erick.

My guess is this too. It's already happened like 3 times lol.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
Ark Patreon: The best part is where Erik says 'and yeah and I checked with my super fate magic and that said murdering them all is okie-dokie'

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Maybe it's time to read Ark

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tithin posted:

Maybe it's time to read Ark

It's seriously my favorite serial. It's probably one of my favorite novel series period.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Larry Parrish posted:

It's seriously my favorite serial. It's probably one of my favorite novel series period.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Started reading Practical Guide to Sorcery a few days ago and I've had a hard time putting it down. I really enjoy stories like this where misunderstandings make people think a character is wildly more impressive and powerful than they actually are.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

DCC is back with 3 chapters to start book six, baby! Auoooo (wolf noises)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I made it through two books of Ark so far and I have some criticisms, notwithstanding the constant mana running commentary driving me up the pole

good story so far tho

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tithin posted:

I made it through two books of Ark so far and I have some criticisms, notwithstanding the constant mana running commentary driving me up the pole

good story so far tho

depending what they are it either rapidly gets better and soon or you're never going to fully enjoy it. some people cannot stand all the emotional stuff lol.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Larry Parrish posted:

depending what they are it either rapidly gets better and soon or you're never going to fully enjoy it. some people cannot stand all the emotional stuff lol.

nah the emotional stuff doesn't phase me, but so much of the stat driven stuff seems like it's only there to bump up the word count

it's a good story, im enjoying it, just started book 3

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tithin posted:

nah the emotional stuff doesn't phase me, but so much of the stat driven stuff seems like it's only there to bump up the word count

it's a good story, im enjoying it, just started book 3

the stat bullshit is basically a concession to the genre and you're already through probably 90% of it

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah Ark is good but I'm irrationally irritated that the author uses 'small words' to mean a small amount of words, quiet words AND words of little import. And they say that phrase multiple times a chapter now! It bugs me. Maybe it's because I only started it a few months ago so I read through a lot of chapters at once.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

practical guide to sorcery Am I supposed to know what the thing in the first box is in prologue 0.1? The second box is obviously the Newton Aberrant but I can't remember anything about what the first would be.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It's the smirking that gets to me. Everyone is smirking constantly.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

The Shortest Path posted:

practical guide to sorcery Am I supposed to know what the thing in the first box is in prologue 0.1? The second box is obviously the Newton Aberrant but I can't remember anything about what the first would be.

It’s the first first abberant that you only get insight into if you patreon a Lacer chapter.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I just caught up with Immortality Starts With Generosity, and I am kind of intrigued by how things will go down. It feels like it's approaching an end of book 1 type point, and I could see it going a number of ways. The wife is sort of an rear end in a top hat, and she is doubling down on that. The dude on the other hand is an rear end in a top hat who is actually taking some steps to make up for the poo poo his body's prior owner did. Maybe they'll split up and the dude will find a new person to connect to and be generous to in book 2?

I'm curious if the certificate he gave her which would let her annul the marriage counted as a gift to the system. If so, what is 100 times as valuable as a get out of social jail free ticket?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Wittgen posted:

I just caught up with Immortality Starts With Generosity, and I am kind of intrigued by how things will go down. It feels like it's approaching an end of book 1 type point, and I could see it going a number of ways. The wife is sort of an rear end in a top hat, and she is doubling down on that. The dude on the other hand is an rear end in a top hat who is actually taking some steps to make up for the poo poo his body's prior owner did. Maybe they'll split up and the dude will find a new person to connect to and be generous to in book 2?

I'm curious if the certificate he gave her which would let her annul the marriage counted as a gift to the system. If so, what is 100 times as valuable as a get out of social jail free ticket?

The commenters seem to think his power should give him 100 marriages (wives) since he's gifting her a divorce. Amusingly, only a few have pointed out that his power doesn't give him 100 things back for each thing he gifts, but instead gives him something similar that is 100 times as good.

The author, rather lamely, seems to be ignoring his power in this instance. It's possible this means the wife hasn't "accepted" the annulment.

Personally, I think it'd be funny if his power gave him the ability to annul 100 marriages. Or, even more fun, the ability to annul any one "union". The many ways this could be twisted in a metaphorical sense would be entertaining (e.g. annul the union between day and night to make the sun stay in the sky all night; or annul the union between body and spirit to reduce someone's cultivation, etc).

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wittgen posted:

The wife is sort of an rear end in a top hat, and she is doubling down on that. The dude on the other hand is an rear end in a top hat who is actually taking some steps to make up for the poo poo his body's prior owner did. Maybe they'll split up and the dude will find a new person to connect to and be generous to in book 2?

She's just a typical 'good' xianxia protagonist. He also acts like people have to act in xianxia societies to survive. They're both pretty chill and ethical by original source material standards.

quote:

quote:

The commenters seem to think his power should give him 100 marriages (wives) since he's gifting her a divorce. Amusingly, only a few have pointed out that his power doesn't give him 100 things back for each thing he gifts, but instead gives him something similar that is 100 times as good.

I don't think the power actually gives back non-material gifts, but even if it doesn't, thematically, if the previous chapter was the classic Romance Story Low Point where the MCs pseudo-break up before they realize they actually care for each other and get back together after resolving their differences, I'd say here's how it's going to work out:

He gave her (the power over) their toxic sham marriage. In return, he's going to get something 100x better - a chance to start an actual meaningful romantic relationship with her with no baggage weighing them down.

I suspect this won't actually get a blue box, though.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Meta-wise, splitting up the leads and removing Lan Fen from the plot would be weird since a lot of the story so far would become semi-pointless. In-story, it'd also be weird for Lan Fen to pull the trigger on annulling the marriage since she's still trying to keep a low public profile and that'd be a big signal that she has independent resources/cultivation back

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

It would be pretty surprising but I could see it working if they both end up at Hogwarts school for xianxia soldiers. It reminds me of Elaine and her perfectly mirrored love interest. There, the two fated lovers started apart and then came together. Here I could see it working if they split up and come back together later.

I do think you're kind of underselling how bad both are. Guy killed a dude on Earth because he was going with the flow.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Did he? As far as I remember there is pretty much no information about anything he did on Earth or why/how he transmigrated.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Chapter 37 posted:

"I’m not about to put myself in a situation where I have to take a life though.” A black void stared back. “Not for someone else.”

Never again.

Seems pretty conclusive to me, but it has wiggle room to gain some nuance through extra information.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

TWI Patreon:

What a lovely chapter. Quality went into the toilet.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
absolutely the shittiest chapter ive ever read

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Friendship ended with Fellowship of the Inn Fellowship of the Can is my new best friend

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wittgen posted:

Seems pretty conclusive to me, but it has wiggle room to gain some nuance through extra information.

Your standards and mine for "pretty conclusive" differ somewhat. He killed some assassins in self-defence earlier in the story, it's literally a part of the conversation you quote.

I'd go with "he is talking about those assassins he killed" before "oh he was the Zodiac Killer in his previous life".

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 21, 2022

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

Who is saying he was the zodiac killer? Exaggerating my claim so it's easier to disagree with is pretty weird.

I'm saying he killed someone. He is saying he is not going to put himself in a situation where he has to kill again. A few paragraphs later he wonders if he died just to be the exact same person.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wittgen posted:

Who is saying he was the zodiac killer? Exaggerating my claim so it's easier to disagree with is pretty weird.

No, it's just pretty funny. It's called comedic exaggeration. You alleged he was actually a secret murderer, I used a more specific description to be more colorful. It works, trust me.

quote:

I'm saying he killed someone. He is saying he is not going to put himself in a situation where he has to kill again.

Yes, and the story explicitly mentions who it is he killed, right there on the same page, i.e. the assassins.

quote:

A few paragraphs later he wonders if he died just to be the exact same person.

Dude, that's in reference to literally the previous paragraph of his mental narration, where he regrets going along with the flow too much in his previous life.

quote:

“I don’t like the way I’ve been acting,” Chen Haoran admitted. “I’ve just been swept up into the flow.” It was a depressingly common issue with him. One that followed him from Earth.

He sighed.

Did he die just to be the same man twice?

Now, I suppose this could all be a part of Gene Wolfe-level unreliable narrator scheme to subtly hint that he totally murdered people in his past life, but based on what we have in text so far, I'd say that's a... uncharitable and, frankly, weird way to interpret it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would be funny if his tragic back story turned out that he's the archetype of the hired killer who just sort of falls into the job because they're capable of it and they're too passive to last in a real job, but there's been nothing suggesting that at all.

day-gas
Dec 16, 2020

tithin posted:

good story so far tho

I developed the habit very early on with Ark of "if I don't find the first paragraph of a magic exposition bit interesting, skip paragraphs until something interesting happens." This has worked out for me so far because the writer has made a shockingly consistent magic system, which means as long as I stay abreast of the general thrust of things there's not a ton of confusion.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

I solved the same problem by reading other things and observing ark via the medium of "goons post about it sometimes".

It's been a pretty efficient way to keep track of it.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
That is how I keep track of way too many things I've never bothered to read/watch/play.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
OK literally just now I realized a stupid pun in TUTBAD:
They made it out of that dungeon with a giant pile of lute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wittgen posted:

It's the smirking that gets to me. Everyone is smirking constantly.

I'm still waiting to see if Pale Lights continues the PracGuide thing of constantly referring to "mirthless smiles" (and a variety of other little phrases/descriptors I can't remember off the top of my head that frequently showed up).