Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

pirateaba just posted 3.17 T. You know what that means!!!

:skeltal:

Ooooh, it's released without the 1-month delay for non-patreons since patreons voted for it to be public.

It's a great chapter and I'm looking forward to what happens next. I have to admit that as much as I enjoy reading about Erin, I've had a ton of fun reading the "branches". The Doctor in particular I want to see more off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
i like Ashton's arguments in the most recent Twig. Still no clear explanation of what the Lambs becoming Nobles is supposed to entail. Do they get implants to make themselves bulletproof and start pretending to be related to the Lord King?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Twig how close to the end are we? Seems pretty close - I assume it’s not going across the sea.

Practical Guide folks in the comments think the calamities are going to die. Why? I’m just not seeing/getting it.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

builds character posted:

Practical Guide folks in the comments think the calamities are going to die. Why? I’m just not seeing/getting it.

The White Knight and Black Knight are destined to be mortal enemies, but there is no personal connection between Black and the White Knight, therefore he has to die so Cat can inherit the Name and avenge him.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Avulsion posted:

The White Knight and Black Knight are destined to be mortal enemies, but there is no personal connection between Black and the White Knight, therefore he has to die so Cat can inherit the Name and avenge him.

shes not going to be the black knight though, is she? She’s clearly meant for something more.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

builds character posted:

shes not going to be the black knight though, is she? She’s clearly meant for something more.

Prac Guide The Squire always becomes either the White Knight or the Black Knight. It's entirely possible that Catherine breaks this somehow or somehow manages to inherit both, but the Story of the Squire is that they become a Knight

Dunno if this discussion really needs to be in spoilers though.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

builds character posted:

I think there's enough foreshadowing to support it.
1. The title of these interludes is Calamity - the implication being twofold - these chapters are very important to the Calamities and there might be a calamity within them. Although it could be implying a calamity for their foes, like it usually does, my gut is that a calamity strikes them.
2. The quote at the start of Calamity I - "That’s the thing with invincibility. You have it until you don’t.” The Calamities have previously been invincible - until they're not.
3. The Tyrant and the Bard are both working to injure Black, and they've both shown themselves to be as genre-savvy as he can be, taking away maybe his greatest advantage. Nothing would injure him more than the death of a companion. I doubt they all die though - my money is on Warlock because Apprentice has transitioned so his death would open the Name up to new claimants.

As for Cat becoming the Black Knight, I personally think that there is no chance of that happening, at least permanently. If she succeeds Black, then she is just a continuation of his story, but really she's writing her own. Plus, with Hierophant we just saw how a name could transition into something unexpected with the right conditions.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Silynt posted:

I think there's enough foreshadowing to support it.
1. The title of these interludes is Calamity - the implication being twofold - these chapters are very important to the Calamities and there might be a calamity within them. Although it could be implying a calamity for their foes, like it usually does, my gut is that a calamity strikes them.
2. The quote at the start of Calamity I - "That’s the thing with invincibility. You have it until you don’t.” The Calamities have previously been invincible - until they're not.
3. The Tyrant and the Bard are both working to injure Black, and they've both shown themselves to be as genre-savvy as he can be, taking away maybe his greatest advantage. Nothing would injure him more than the death of a companion. I doubt they all die though - my money is on Warlock because Apprentice has transitioned so his death would open the Name up to new claimants.

As for Cat becoming the Black Knight, I personally think that there is no chance of that happening, at least permanently. If she succeeds Black, then she is just a continuation of his story, but really she's writing her own. Plus, with Hierophant we just saw how a name could transition into something unexpected with the right conditions.

4. All of Black's strategies are built around carefully studying his opponents and planning for every eventuality, but he doesn't know about Hierarch. He thinks the Tyrant is trying to transition into that Name.

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

So anyone else getting the vibe that that was the last chapter of Twig? Like if they ended it here (maybe with some epilogues) I wouldn't be surprised at all

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Jade Mage posted:

So anyone else getting the vibe that that was the last chapter of Twig? Like if they ended it here (maybe with some epilogues) I wouldn't be surprised at all

Yep. I enjoyed that in Twig the big bad wasn't just some super powered up alien or a bunch of lawyers but the cornerstones of society they had to destroy. The pacing felt right to me and I'm hoping that the setting gets revisited someday if this is the end.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Man, the latest prac guide chapter is kind of lame. I'm hoping Sabah's death is a double bluff or something because dying off-screen, third aspect unkown and unused(?) is a bit of a wet fart. It's been so heavily foreshadowed I feel like the only satisfying direction it can go in is for her to still be alive. Usually the stories being explicit parts of the setting thing is fine, and seeing the ways characters use that is good. The calamities got really far by being aware of the stories and being careful to not fall into their traps, as well as really good at what they do. Setting up this long thing of story logic that says yes, captain is definitely going to die, building up to it with the Calamity chapters in three parts, leading with the quote about monsters dying and then going yeah, it was the obvious thing everyone saw coming, nothing really clever going on here, just got story'd out in-universe and in the meta sense just sucks.

I'm having trouble articulating exactly what bothers me about it, but it's just unsatisfying. No one was clever except for the Bard, offscreen, using information unknown to the reader and characters until after the fact. Everything went as foreshadowed. Great. I would've liked it if Sabah pulled through by just being better than the Champion, but Black wound up unexpectedly dying because an angel personally swatted him down in his moment of triumph. Fits with Black's whole rage against the heavens thing, pulls one over on everyone involved, fucks things up in potentially interesting ways and I think would've worked decently as some narrative irony. The character that meticulously plans everything dies because he didn't plan around a rule he couldn't know, screwing everything up for everyone else. Also gives Cat an excuse for a power bump going into the diabolist confrontation, but whatever.

Anyway, I'm hoping and slightly expecting the next chapter to reveal that Captain's alive. Only the Bard states onscreen that she isn't, and Warlock trails off before making a definitive statement. If you're going to play everything else by the numbers may as well hit that old miscommunication cliche too. The Bard has reason to lie or might be wrong, and it still fucks with Black because the emotional reaction stays so plan worked either way. But probably not.

Wow that was way too many words.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I have been reading The iron teeth found over at http://www.ironteethserial.com. The story centers around a goblin slave rescued by bandits and the life he builds for himself after. The world seems to be very dark and chaotic and the characters reflect that

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

NiknudStunod posted:

I have been reading The iron teeth found over at http://www.ironteethserial.com. The story centers around a goblin slave rescued by bandits and the life he builds for himself after. The world seems to be very dark and chaotic and the characters reflect that

I dig it so far, thanks for the mention!

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
So this is tangentially related to web serials, but I got into superhero stories from Worm and Super Powereds.

I never really liked DC/Marvel stuff, but for whatever reason I'm enjoying this new wave of fiction.

Is there any other stuff from any other authors in the genre people like? I have started Legion of Nothing as well. Doesn't have to be a web serial specifically, just thought I'd ask here as I've only read them in web serial format so far.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SerCypher posted:

So this is tangentially related to web serials, but I got into superhero stories from Worm and Super Powereds.

I never really liked DC/Marvel stuff, but for whatever reason I'm enjoying this new wave of fiction.

Is there any other stuff from any other authors in the genre people like? I have started Legion of Nothing as well. Doesn't have to be a web serial specifically, just thought I'd ask here as I've only read them in web serial format so far.

I've started one. It's still early days, though: eight chapters uploaded so far, about twenty written, Tuesday weekly updates.

I think it's a fairly different take on things to the other superhero stories out there, particularly the other superhero web serials I've seen around the place. I think the chapter coming up this Tuesday -- Chapter 9 -- is probably the clearest indication of what I'm going for.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 7, 2017

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

SerCypher posted:

It might be worth you trying Brandon Sandersons books. Start with Mistborn, then give Steelheart a go (It reads like a kids version of Worm), then try some of his other books! Not really superhero stuff apart from Steelheart, but he's good.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

SerCypher posted:

Someone has to be the one....

Wild Cards. It has its ups and downs but at the core is a shared author universe edited at least at the beginning by George RR Martin. Many story arcs, many characters and some of it was great. There's a poo poo ton of books, this series is old.

edit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Cards

Has some interesting information, it's literally Martin and friends pencil and paper characters made into books.

Kalas fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 7, 2017

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Twig is into epilogues.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Milky Moor posted:

I've started one. It's still early days, though: eight chapters uploaded so far, about twenty written, Tuesday weekly updates.

I think it's a fairly different take on things to the other superhero stories out there, particularly the other superhero web serials I've seen around the place. I think the chapter coming up this Tuesday -- Chapter 9 -- is probably the clearest indication of what I'm going for.

I just bought a cyoa called paradigm city and I drew some parallels. Is it inspiration or coincidence? Also haven't actually started reading yours yet.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Affi posted:

I just bought a cyoa called paradigm city and I drew some parallels. Is it inspiration or coincidence? Also haven't actually started reading yours yet.

I wrote Paradigm City. :)

edit: Not All Heroes is the same world, but three very different perspectives and exploring things I couldn't really do in-depth in a 2nd person CYOA. Kind of a sidequel. If PC was about being immersed in the government side of things, NAH is about three characters who are all outside of it -- the street vigilante, the injured ex-hero, the criminal thug.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Nettle Soup posted:

Twig is into epilogues.

I gotta say, that was a good point to end the main story at and I'm looking forward to every epilogue chapter.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

Twig is into epilogues.

I remember Wildbow saying somewhere that Twig's ending was going to be not-happy but not sad either. Without a *lot* of development, the current ending feels pretty devastating. It also feels like it's intentionally dangling a whole mess of plot threads for a sequel, unless these epilogue chapters are going to tie a bunch of things off. That isn't the impression I'm getting from them though...

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Calef posted:

I remember Wildbow saying somewhere that Twig's ending was going to be not-happy but not sad either. Without a *lot* of development, the current ending feels pretty devastating. It also feels like it's intentionally dangling a whole mess of plot threads for a sequel, unless these epilogue chapters are going to tie a bunch of things off. That isn't the impression I'm getting from them though...

Definitely a lot of remaining plot threads. We haven't seen the Noble-ized Lambs; we don't even know which of them, other than Sy, actually went through with it. Fray is still alive (albeit imprisoned, but she doesn't seem like the type to stay imprisoned). Mauer is still alive and probably less than thrilled with a lot of the Lambs' decisions. Most importantly, the Crown is still around and will return to invade America again eventually. We haven't even seen the Crown's European territories or met the Lord King yet.

It will be very interesting to see the sequel. It will probably have to be set only a few years later, because it seems like the Twig world in more than couple decades would be too weird to tell Wildbow's style of story in.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Has Wildbow confirmed that Worm 2 is his next project, or is that just hopeful speculation on my part (and others too)?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Worm 2 is his next project.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I'm not sure I want a Worm2 :ohdear:

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm not sure I want a Worm2 :ohdear:

Yeah I agree. I'm scared of what he'll do to "fix" his perceived mistakes. Also what he considers to be mistakes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jade Mage posted:

Yeah I agree. I'm scared of what he'll do to "fix" his perceived mistakes. Also what he considers to be mistakes.

I think it's not controversial to say the time skip could have been handled better.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I would say Wildbow's biggest mistakes (which are also what he seems to consider his biggest mistakes) are things he already fixed in Twig (mostly involving pacing).

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

If it's a direct sequel, where do you even go when you ended on 'stop space-Cthulu from killing All The Earths'?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

If it's a direct sequel, where do you even go when you ended on 'stop space-Cthulu from killing All The Earths'?

I assume the main villain will be Sleeper.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Silver2195 posted:

I assume the main villain will be Sleeper.

This is plausible.

And also enables some terribly interesting scenarios.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

He definitely built in some hooks that will at least be able to get the story rolling, like the Sleeper, whatever Teacher is up to, the screwed up Trigger events, and just the general difficulties the heroes will face in running their new interconnected multiverse, but I agree, it's hard to see where he'll go with it in the long run. The first Worm was all about escalation, but short of another alien showing up there's no escalating from that final conflict.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
It doesn’t have to be the end of all the worlds. Twig and pact both managed to scale that back a bit.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Wildbow's best stuff has always been the small scale events ( and characters and dialogue ) so I will be absolutely fine if the biggest conflict Worm 2 ever gets to is dudes overcoming a Lex Luthor level villain.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

builds character posted:

It doesn’t have to be the end of all the worlds. Twig and pact both managed to scale that back a bit.

Pact arguably more than Twig.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Even in Worm, I thought the Brockton Bay stuff was way more interesting than the finale.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
I tried reading pact and was drawn in until around act 7. I am not a big fan of the mc dieing and my guess would be coming back several chapters later..

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Nettle Soup posted:

It might be worth you trying Brandon Sandersons books. Start with Mistborn, then give Steelheart a go (It reads like a kids version of Worm), then try some of his other books! Not really superhero stuff apart from Steelheart, but he's good.

I love Sanderson, but I never read the Calamity Series. I started it, and it's not bad! It lacks that... twisty turny nature of some of the better super hero web fiction though. I'm about 4/5ths the way though, and I already have an idea of what the 'twists' are going to be.

There is just something about good web fiction that I can't explain. I guess it's just the medium and how it's written? Just a constant feeling of the protagonist in over their head, and trying to tread water.

Anyway... I'm really looking forward to upcoming stuff in A Practical Guide to Evil. I'm hoping the author can pull a wildbow, and eventually lead all of this into some sort of cosmic struggle that explains the nature of creation and named and stories. I had a rather embarrassing moment the other day when I was talking to someone about china's cultural revolution.

I tried to use a metaphor about Mao trying to change China's story. The other person didn't understand and I tried to explain why they should read a web serial about undead goats that explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Steelheart's okay. I liked the first book well enough but, even so, it's very much a YA work.