Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Koburn posted:

Now that it's finished, does anyone have a complete epub/mobi of twig? I've tried to use the scraper on github and I really don't understand how to use it.

I have epubs of all three books

If anyone wants one, they should have to do it themselves just because gently caress you that was miserable, even before you get to the publication issues

Also I finished twig 14 and I love my trans teenage Frankenstein and really that whole conversation where she came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Wandering Inn - RIP Toren? Or not. Could see it go either way.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Huh, I didn't know Wildbow was deaf like me. (I haven't finished Worm yet by the way. I probably should.)

He's got hearing aids, but yeah. Major hearing loss.

Megazver posted:

He should have just stopped writing for a few months and edited Worm full-time. I doubt it'd even be a problem with the Patreon people, especially if they got sent re-edited poo poo depending on their contributions.

That's a horrible idea. He's already been editing Worm for years alongside Pact and Twig, and publishing that even in pieces would defeat the purpose of shopping it around for publication. Publishers don't want something that's already been distributed.

He enjoys writing so I don't see why he'd need to spend time away from it.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

That's a horrible idea. He's already been editing Worm for years alongside Pact and Twig, and publishing that even in pieces would defeat the purpose of shopping it around for publication. Publishers don't want something that's already been distributed.

He enjoys writing so I don't see why he'd need to spend time away from it.

I am assuming he's probably going to self-pub. If he wanted to go tradpub, he would have gone it a long time ago. There days, selfpubbers whose books became successful get them signed by publishers anyway.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Are you truly not familiar with John Dies at the End?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

lurksion posted:

Wandering Inn - RIP Toren? Or not. Could see it go either way.
If Pisces called up something he could put down, I'd be surprised.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Milky Moor posted:

Are you truly not familiar with John Dies at the End?

Which was pulled from the internet when he was in the process of shopping it around, the sequel got pulled after that, and he hasn't serialized a story since

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Which was pulled from the internet when he was in the process of shopping it around, the sequel got pulled after that, and he hasn't serialized a story since

This is orthogonal to my point.

"Publishers don't want something that's already been distributed" is not correct given that JDatE was published not only once but twice despite the fact that there were many PDF versions floating around online and Wong encouraged people to make copies, including hard copies, for their own use. I know this because I still have mine and the two different editions that were put into print. Additionally, works like Masters of the Universe/Fifty Shades. If the work is good, which Worm is, publishers will want it.

And, in a world where discussing self-made ebook reader files constitutes distribution enough to make publishers balk, then surely the whole work being available online does, too. And won't that be interesting if Worm has to follow that pattern you suggest.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 21, 2017

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Like I said, publishers republish breakout self-pub titles all the time now. Anthony Ryan's Blood Song, Jonathan French's Grey Bastards, Josiah Bancroft's Senlin Ascends, Michael McClung's The Thief Who Pulled On Trouble's Braids are just some books that I am personally aware that were all self-published on Amazon, did well, then got pretty good offers. poo poo just needs to be popular enough that they think it'd make money for them and wildbow is, like, the biggest serial guy.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
I mean The Martian started as a web serial

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm so excited for Worm to be back. I feel like it was a big part of my life for a while when I read through the whole thing in the span of like 6 months. I only caught up a month or two before the end.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wasn’t Wool much the same way?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Megazver posted:

Like I said, publishers republish breakout self-pub titles all the time now. Anthony Ryan's Blood Song, Jonathan French's Grey Bastards, Josiah Bancroft's Senlin Ascends, Michael McClung's The Thief Who Pulled On Trouble's Braids are just some books that I am personally aware that were all self-published on Amazon, did well, then got pretty good offers. poo poo just needs to be popular enough that they think it'd make money for them and wildbow is, like, the biggest serial guy.
I honestly didn't expect to have heard of anything in your list but those books are pretty solid. Good to hear there's money in that for the author.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wasn’t Wool much the same way?

Son of a bitch there are 2 more of these books and I didn't know it.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
https://parahumans.wordpress.com/2017/10/24/glow-worm-p-2/

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yo these prologue updates are dope as hell

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've started reading A Practical Guide to Evil and it's pretty dope but boy is there a lot of it. I've been chopping away at it for days now and I'm still less than halfway through the epub I turned it to. Page 821 out of 1821, yeesh. I think if/when the author publishes it, he's better off breaking up the second volume, at least, in two and selling them separately.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I agree with the comment speculating that Capricorn is calling a hit on themselves, possible with the intent of framing Moonsong or something. It would explain the person saying "I think you got the instructions wrong."

edit: Oh wait, another comment seems to have a better idea with speculating that it's a plan to try and get the assassin folks. It would explains Cap/Moonsong seemingly getting along in the last chat and Cap mentioning contacting the professional to them.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I guess I'll have to restart Twig some time soon, not sure if I should read it from the start or not, Wildbow's stuff is ok but I find it pretty exhausting. Maybe it'd be better read serially but I always stopped myself from catching up, although that was also partially cause I kept needing breaks.

Mostly unrelated but maybe not entirely, can anyone recommend me something fluffy. I don't even know what people are gonna come up with (if anything) but I feel like trying to read whatever you think fits.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Absum posted:

Mostly unrelated but maybe not entirely, can anyone recommend me something fluffy. I don't even know what people are gonna come up with (if anything) but I feel like trying to read whatever you think fits.

Unsong is pretty fluffy in parts, but it's also quite self-consciously wanky.

As in, several chapters are closer to a mix of history lesson and essay by the viewpoint character, and those very same essays are commented on by other characters as being an unprintable pretentious wankfest.

It should also be pointed out that you shouldn't be going in with the expectation of a linear plot that moves along briskly - after the first couple of chapters, it sort of jumps around in time to explain how the world got to be the way it is, before it all comes together in the finale.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010

Absum posted:

The Gods are Bastards is kinda fluffy, I think. It's kinda adventure pulp.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Ytlaya posted:

I agree with the comment speculating that Capricorn is calling a hit on themselves, possible with the intent of framing Moonsong or something. It would explain the person saying "I think you got the instructions wrong."

edit: Oh wait, another comment seems to have a better idea with speculating that it's a plan to try and get the assassin folks. It would explains Cap/Moonsong seemingly getting along in the last chat and Cap mentioning contacting the professional to them.

i don't know about the second speculation. why the first conversation, framed as it was? it seems possible that capricorn may either be controlled by a master in one of the conversations, or he has multiple personalities. 'tristan' may be one of them. note how the other person in the second chat reacted to cap's entry to the channel, followed by moonshadow saying no don't worry, and the other person saying it was remarkable how she knew. knew, perhaps, who was piloting the cap chat account, or cap's body itself. of course, that doesn't deal with why the mercenaries being contacted are just a backup.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Absum posted:

I guess I'll have to restart Twig some time soon, not sure if I should read it from the start or not, Wildbow's stuff is ok but I find it pretty exhausting. Maybe it'd be better read serially but I always stopped myself from catching up, although that was also partially cause I kept needing breaks.

Twig has infinitely better pacing, and most of the arcs are semi-self contained, making it a lot easier to take breaks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Namarrgon posted:

Twig has infinitely better pacing, and most of the arcs are semi-self contained, making it a lot easier to take breaks.

The hardest part for me to get through was the two arcs about the primordials

The arc immediately after that though is Sy killing the baron and that's a major kick in the rear end that pushes the story forward hard

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of Twig, I'm starting arc 16 now and we are officially into the third act of the story and it's fuckin great. Sy's rebellion is a thing that makes total sense and yet I wouldn't have guessed early on. I love it

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

It's...meh. The premise on which the thing was written is incredibly hard to take seriously in the first place. (Star Child spoiler)Mom had an affair, gave birth, and returned planetside _with the infant_ without any kind of detection whatsoever? Kind of hard to get past.

I only read 20-30 chapters of it, but it's explained fairly early on: His mother is a 'shusher' which can hide things the way a fresh coat of snow does. She is apparently an extremely powerful one, and can make it so others don't notice him, even if he's almost right in front of him

I didn't like it enough to keep reading it though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
OK, sorry if this isn't he right place for it but I figgure here's as good as any.

I'm working on a web serial right now and I tried to look into getting an editor for it. I thought I got one and got all the paper work OK and sorted and...he just vanished into the ether.

So, egg firmly on face I'm wondering if anyone who's writing a serial would know of any editors who'd be intrested in (Paid) editing work?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You could pitch this in Creative Convention for the people that actually do that sort of thing.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527487

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Here's my thoughts on the worm 2 prologue stuff: mlekk is the best character and needs an interlude

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Regarding Glow.Worm Part 3 :

Is Shatterbird or a clone of her still alive? I'm trying so hard to see if Mangled_Wings is a character we already know.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The clones all died from the killswitch, but iirc we never actually saw shatterbirds body after Noelle swallowed her. if she managed to survive that and the golden morning, then it might be her.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pussy Quipped posted:

Regarding Glow.Worm Part 3 :

Is Shatterbird or a clone of her still alive? I'm trying so hard to see if Mangled_Wings is a character we already know.

People in the comments have suggested a lot of possibilities, although most of them don't quite fit. Lung comes close (arrogant persona, has wings in full dragon form), but the Mangled_Wings's friends refer to her as female, and the writing style doesn't seem like him; Mangled_Wings seems like a native English speaker. Most of the other suggestions are obviously wrong, like Taylor (would surely consider herself a civilian rather than a villain now, and understands computers just fine), the Simurgh (wouldn't need help figuring out computers, among many other problems), Panacea (probably not the type for smug villain rants, although I'll allow that she may have changed after hanging out with her father for a while), Canary (definitely not the type for smug villain rants), Shadow Stalker (surely not computer-illiterate), Teacher (would just ask a Thinker or Tinker minion for help if he had a computer problem), Imp (would probably be more...colorful but less angry), and Glaistig Uaine (not a villain anymore).

Rachel makes a bit more sense, but it would be strange for other characters to refer to her as A. Maybe a Damsel of Distress clone (also among the suggestions in the comments), or your suggestion of a Shatterbird clone?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 28, 2017

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

berenzen posted:

The clones all died from the killswitch, but iirc we never actually saw shatterbirds body after Noelle swallowed her. if she managed to survive that and the golden morning, then it might be her.

There's a line that mentions that Vista killed her.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Plorkyeran posted:

There's a line that mentions that Vista killed her.

The "lost" interlude has Vista killing her on-screen. I assume that's more or less how it went down, just without the Tattletale clone stuff.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

A Damsel of Distress clone makes the most sense to me. The personality sketched by the parahumans wiki matches pretty well, and Wildbow is on record as saying he wishes he had written more about her

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's Its probably not a character we have much info on, if not just a new one, though I suppose it could be shatterbird given that we don't really know anything about her personality.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

A new set of characters for the new story would not be that shocking.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Elyv posted:

A new set of characters for the new story would not be that shocking.

New chapter's out, by the way.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Pretty apparent at this point that the WMGs were pointless, this group is OCs, possibly ones that group triggered on gold morning. People have done some ARG-type manipulation to the number username and got something about March, who was supposedly Foil/Flechette's nemesis and part of her group trigger, and so it likely the gunslinger.

It would be interesting if Tats ended up as an antagonist in this one, but I suspect she'll be more of a Charlie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It would be rad as hell if the sequel to Worm followed a group of actual fledgling heroes instead of doing some road to hell stuff