Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

First thing I would do if I was editing worm is cut the entire Golem subplot, what an awful waste of time that was. All of the stuff set in the prison didn't really end up mattering either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

sunken fleet posted:

i mean golem's plot sort of ended up kicking off the end of the world didn't it?

Golem's plot inadvertently led to that happening, but I wouldn't say it was the actual cause of it. His sister ended up dying anyway, he gets sidelined immediately after his subplot is over and he isn't that important of a character to the main cast. I think the story spent much way too much time focusing on him.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

In my opinion you guys never really liked worm or simply grew out of it. And that is okay.
But to act like the kind of edit you posit would "improve" anything instead of being a new work, with some names in common, is completely disingenuous.

Nah, sometimes you even have to cut stuff you really like to improve the flow of the narrative. The whole "kill your darlings" thing. More is not always better. This is especially true for a serial which probably had the vaguest outlines at best. A story seriously suffers if it spends a bunch of time on side-tangents that end up going nowhere important.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The Shortest Path posted:

Perhaps consider that long serials with complex, in-depth worldbuilding for its own sake and tightly narrated, focused novels are two separate, different things that are good for different reasons and that people can enjoy different things than you?

Worldbuilding for the sake of worldbuilding is fine. I'm a person that wants TV shows to have 26 episode seasons again, so that everything isn't one tight narrative. That doesn't mean that stories should be spending a bunch of time building up subplots with side characters that don't end up going anywhere. I wouldn't even cut most of the side stories, but the useless subplots need to go.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Cicero posted:

I'm reading through Release that Witch now. If you like Wandering Inn and can stomach bad translations, you'll probably like it. It has a vaguely similar premise: a Chinese mechanical engineer gets dropped into the body of a lecherous prince in a medieval fantasy world, and ruthlessly exploits his advanced science/tech knowledge while also spreading modern-ish values. It has a lot of different viewpoint characters, but unlike TWI they almost always feel relevant to the main plot. Also it's insanely long, I'm 600 chapters in, granted the chapters are way shorter than TWI, but still.

isn't that work really r/atheism?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Cicero posted:

I viewed the public trials/spectacles as similar to the French Revolution, he's trying to rapidly change people's values to accept witches/reject nobility when they've had the nobility and been told witches are evil their whole lives, and the people in question were lovely enough to deserve it. Brutal, but probably effective.
Robespierre's reign of terror was the blueprint for a bunch of dictators, and led to the murder of a ton of innocents (some of whom coincidentally happened to be Robespierre's political enemies). These reign of terrors also have a tendency to target minorities that don't fit in perfectly into the new government created by the glorious revolution.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Sampatrick posted:

Actually, I think you'll find that the best web serials are the ones where nothing ever happens and the story endlessly loops and furthermore

Mother of Learning is indeed pretty good.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Super Minion is alright despite being a superhero web serial with all the setting problems that usually comes with those. Protaganist is a bio-weapon learning to be human while teamed up with supervillians. Updates are a bit slow though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Cicero posted:

I want to try using my Kindle Paperwhite to read web serials, but obviously the browser on it is not fun to use. I seem to recall seeing a project on GitHub to scrape/create ebooks for web serials, but can't find it now, all I seem to see are ones specific to wildbow. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Every website is going to require a unique scraper which is going to break pretty easily, so you are going to need a new one for each site you want to download from.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

is it possible to scrape that stuff in python or do you need to work in html or javascript?

I use python to scrape some websites, but like I said before I have to update the code for every website. (I don't convert them into epubs, just simplified html, but I'm sure there is a library out there.)

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 16, 2019

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

To give an example how much of a special snowflake Mary Sue Ryoka is. At the start of the story she is running around barefoot over long distances in what is basically medieval Europe, doing a job that normally requires superhuman abilities. None of her stuff is interesting because she can just instantly brute force through the problems she creates for herself. Oh, and she has an internal monologue rant about why she voted for Jill Stein.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Metaworld has the character become upset because instead of living in a mansion, she is forced to live in a really nice apartment instead, and she doesn't get TWO huge inheritances just one.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Overly snarky main characters is also very common writing flaw that a lot of media suffers from. Its removes any narrative tension when the character is always cracking jokes regardless of the situation.

Also Royal Road really needs a litRPG tag, so I can tell right away if something is probably going to be garbage.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

Last chapters of MoL are up, on Groundhog Day to boot.

Nope, there is still an epilogue.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Myriad Truths posted:

Speaking of Cultivation Chat Group, has anyone found a method for downloading chapters from QU that isn't copy/pasting into a text file? I've got the Web2Epub extension for Chrome but it doesn't work for the site's layout, nor does Pocket.

If you have python knowledge its not that hard to write a scraper.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Grognan posted:

Found Super Minion which is a nice drabble about Prototype-esque minion in a superhero setting escaping and getting a job. https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/21410/super-minion

Super minion is good, but be warned the update schedule is extremely slowly. one chapter every month or two.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I think he mentioned that his next story would probably not be set in the Mother of Learning universe. One of the possiblities he brought up was a story about a mass exodus to another dimension/world

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Aside from the spider one, almost all litRpgs are bad because someone can hit their hammer on the side of a barn a couple of times, and then suddenly they can rebuild the Hagia Sophia.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Blastron stopped translating right before the low point of the series. the middle strata stuff is boring, and there is a bunch of terrible human sideplot stuff. It picks up again after that, and even has the main character lose their litrpg abilities permanently

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The Mother of Learning author has posted some story ideas on their patreon for the next thing he is going to do. Unfortunately, two of them are litrpgs. I really hope he doesn't choose one of those two.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Cicero posted:

I only see one LitRPG there.

King of the Junkyard sounds the best to me off hand, though how compelling it is in the long run will depend a lot on the meta plot.

The 4th story has a NPC from a litrpg world as the main character.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

On one hand I'm disappointed he isn't going with the slice of life sequel to MoL he apparently considered at one point, but I'm relieved that he didn't end up doing the VRMMO or LitRPG... I really hope he has fun with it, but holy poo poo I'm not committing to another years-long epic from that dude.

When he talked about doing a slice of life sequel to MoL, he already said that wasn't what he going to do next.

I'm also really glad he didn't commit to doing another VRMMO or LitRPG.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Speaking of Metaworld Chronicles, on top of being bad is also an incredibly blatant rip-off the Chinese web VN Versatile mage.
Both are set in a world where magic is replaced by science and humanity is constantly under threat from powerful beasts. Everyone starts out only being able to do one elemental magic except for the protagonists. Both of the protagonists have the rare and powerful lightning element. Just as they earn respect in their hometown, it suffers from a massive attack, and everyone is forced to abandon it, and the protagonists go to Shanghai for college. There is a giant powerful snake god. There is also a shady group of rogue mages that will stop at nothing for power.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Normally, I don't see cultural appropriation as a legitimate thing to complain about, but even I think a former Neo-Nazi using Jewish culture to rebrand themselves as really dumb.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

OscarDiggs posted:

Theres nothing explicitly from where I am 4 and a bit chapters in. And that is slightly an issue but not exactly. It's not as if I expect to be catered to in every piece of media all the time.

The issue is how invested the story is in forcing Zorian into a traditional heterosexual relationship when he is very clearly not wanting it. Like, Zorian could be Asexualand thats why they're not interested or gay, or they might be straight but trans. But all of this is being excluded on the "We must set up Zorian with a date (WHOS FEMALE. ABSOLUTELY MUST BE FEMALE NO OTHER OPTION IS ALLOWED)" on top of the premise that I've been sold on which is;
A bit of an arrogant prick learns the value of friendship and superior firepower on this time travel adventure. And the way it all looks at the minute, in that its a big exercise on the importance of men and women being together in a romantic way leading to a more fulfiling life. Which is, not great.

Of course, that's only the worst case scenario. I've not read enough to know how it's going to go, but I did want to hear other peoples thought and opinions on it and be disabused of my worries (or have them confirmed) before I sink more time in.

The problem is that being in a time loop doesn't really lend itself to long term relationships, and Zorian is already really socially awkward. Not every work needs to have a homosexual relationship, especially when romance very much isn't the focus.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Selkie Myth posted:

Unlikely. Author is asexual. She just likes writing cutely horrifying things.

Somebody can claim they are asexual but they could still have a sex drive.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

LLSix posted:

Anyone know if Mother of Learning has an audio book? The google results I am getting are confusing.

It might have some terrible fan audio book, but Mother of Learning hasn't been published yet, so there isn't an official one. (although, I kind of doubt it would get one unless the published version does really well.)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Nettle Soup posted:

Reroll is finished now. What an ending. I don't know if I can recommend this, it was an interesting timeloop story for the first half or so but then it just kinda... Ends. Read the first half I suppose! Curious to see what others have to say about this.

Seems like the author either wrote themselves into a corner or got bored writing it, so the story ends with the protagonist doing nothing and having learned nothing. The main thing going it for was that the protagonist had weird and interesting powers.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Oh hey, it looks like somebody used that title and actually trained an AI, and it wasn't them just writing bad jokes with no actual AI involved.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like Outcast In Another World needs to start being a little cautious about the abilities the protagonist is getting with his "pump all stats into vitality" strategy. It's starting to get to the point where it's kind of unbelievable that humans in this setting didn't constantly use such a build themselves. It's not like Rob is the only character who doesn't want to die and would feel compelled to put points into the "literal life force" stat, or that other past humans wouldn't have realized "Berserker lets one turn all this extra HP into damage." For non-humans it makes sense, since they level more slowly and wouldn't normally be able to get their vitality high enough to be worth it, but the "pump everything into vitality + Berserker class" thing is kind of becoming "overpowered" in a sense where you'd think humans would have just chosen that route en masse in the past.

That's one of the many problems with these litrpg works. If humans having game stats were a thing, developing the most optimized build would be an entire field of study, and nations would devote massive resources into research for it. A single person who plays video games a lot isn't going to be able to compete, especially considering they won't have nearly as much knowledge about what exactly each stat and ability does and their limitations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

LLSix posted:

Speaking of editing, has anyone tried the new published version of Mother of Learning? One goon said the audiobook had awful voice acting, but I haven’t heard anything else. I don’t have a good impression of the publisher he’s using so far.

From what I read, there wasn't really a noticeable difference. I didn't read too much of it though.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The problem is that quest threads are full of people that aren't interested in narratively interesting stories.
Usually the threads are full of two types of people:
  • Number crunchers who want to optimize the protagonist into a murder machine based on the poorly designed mechanics the author made up just for the story. They completely ignore prior actions and character motivations if they think an action will give the character an advantage. This leads to extremely inconsistent characterization of the protagonist. Also, sometimes there will be really boring stretches where the character does nothing but train.
  • Shippers who only care about the protagonist getting together with a certain character. This usually leads to the protagonist only interacting with girls. Also, interesting characters that the author clearly wanted to be important in the story will be completely ignored because they aren't a potential waifu. Eventually, the author will usually find a way to awkwardly force the character into the narrative.

Also, sometimes really good/really bad dice rolls will lead to really weird story elements. One quest thread I read had a character become horribly mutated due to some bad dice rolls right before there was an important development in a plot that had been developing for awhile. What should have been an important moment in the story was mostly sidelined because of this random event that happened.

-Edit forgot another type. The grand speech writers. When a character needs to explain their motivations or make an argument. There will almost always be someone who writes an over the top speech that will try really hard to be deep and meaningful. usually it will win even though it's ridiculously melodramatic in the actual story.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Nov 19, 2022

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Cicero posted:

Yeah and r/noveltranslations is fairly popular, I guess it's somewhat surprising there isn't really an equivalent for western web serials on Reddit that's actually used.

Japanese/Korean Web Novels might actually get a professionally edited version, manga and even an anime, but very few western web novels even get professionally edited. Western web novels just don't have any reach. Also, web novels needing to be translated generates a lot of discussion too.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I know there's probably no strict answer to these questions, but I'm curious -- what makes a good litrpg, SA web serial thread, and what makes a bad one?

There are handful of good ones, but they were made when there wasn't a bajillion LitRPGs out there already and they mostly just make the LitRPG elements barely part of the story. The vast overwhelming majority are absolute trash, even if you take Sturgeon's law into account.

Even the subversions and deconstructions have been done to death at this point.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I'm betting its some random Chinese web novel that is actually the longest. They are regularly 1000s of chapters long.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The fact that its a CYOA/quest doesn't help with things, because people are either trying to game the system that was created for this specific story and have the character focus on being more powerful, or trying to ship characters together. There is very little consistency with the protagonist's actions because of this.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I'm just worried that once it gets to the actual superhero stuff, it will be over the top edgy where basically every superhero is secretly a giant rear end in a top hat if not outright evil because that seems to be the trend these days. Granted, I also think the story would work better as more of a straight sci-fi story without any superhero stuff at all.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 27, 2023

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Yeah, I don't think its a person asking "WHERE ARE THE LEVELS?!?!" more them being confused about what are the limitations of the powers and why they work in one situation but not another.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I'm also betting that true demons and chaos are a direct result of Artonans not having balanced contracts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Great Super Supportive chapter. Feels like it covered a lot of ground.

Stuart is so dumb lol. I can see why Joe was so concerned; Stuart's statement to Alden doesn't really make any sense given the excuse they came up with for his injury.

Manon confuses me a bit, because it's not clear to me what she gains from having this boater group under her. She already has an extremely lucrative skill.

edit: Ah, the Patreon is up! Get an extra chapter.

edit2: Oh poo poo, some very interesting things in that chapter

$10 seems a bit too steep for me. You can buy a whole book at that price.