Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
I think it's better to keep them separate threads. I also don't think Bookworm is that great, and if that's getting rec'd about a dozen other things would need it too, partially because there is just vastly more of the translated web-serial stuff than native English stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Kaja Rainbow posted:

About Taint, I'll comment that honestly the most interesting part is when she emerges out of the tower she was trapped in as a hyper optimized killing machine with not much idea how to do anything else, and has to do things like being social.

She isn't very good at interrogating people either.

Taint posted:

I’m about to carry him next to a wall and write the same question I asked the soldier outside the city wall, but before I can even take my first step, I see his eyes suddenly roll back. A few weak tremors wrack the man’s body, then he becomes limp, trailing bonelessly on the floor next to me, the ragged stumps of his legs pumping his blood out onto the carpet.

He’s not dead; I can still hear his heartbeat, but it’s faint and irregular. I don’t think he’s going to survive more than a few seconds more.

…Isn’t that a bit of an overreaction to just losing a few limbs? Surely, even humans aren’t that fragile?

A sigh suddenly comes from Phineas. (He’s gone into shock. You’re not going to get anything out of him.)

[…Shock?]

Did he die of surprise?

Is that even possible?

That has to be the most ridiculous cause of death I’ve ever heard of.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Kalas posted:

You can blame Sword Art Online for that tripe. Amazon's Kindle marketplace is buried under it and other LitRPGs, which are mostly god awful.

Audible might be even worse. Like a solid 1/4 or 1/5 of the sci-fi fantasy coming out now are LitRPGs and since a lot of them are from the Russian scene it's mostly people playing a game...they arn't even stuck...or portaled into the fantasy world nope...just playing my video game.

The backlash is starting to kick in though and for the last few months the newer books have been getting poo poo ratings...for the most part.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

If anyone is looking for more webfiction, I blew through Worth the Candle in a few days. The main character gets thrown into a fantasy world based off all pen and paper worlds he created all shoved together, it's not a happy place. https://archiveofourown.org/works/11478249/chapters/25740126

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Wildbow just needed to edit up the story, drop it on kindle, and pay for someone to do an audiobook and roll in sweet audible money. I really don't understand wanting to be published, for seemingly just the sake of being published. I mean there is always the chance you become the next MEGA-hit(unlikely), but outside of that self-publishing would probably just work out better.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

*This is also a huge issue with the vast majority of JP web novels I've tried to read. It is just extremely obvious that the author is just writing whatever random poo poo comes to mind, and any plot arcs that occur are completely uninspired. There are some exceptions, but this is true of the vast majority of isekai stories.

Here's a zany concept woahoah.

proceeds to write the most basic and generic story imaginable

That being said that's exactly how Virlyce claims to write things and I have grown to love their stuff.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like many of these stories, particularly the isekai stuff, rely on "slice of life" as an excuse for not having an actual plot. But that sort of thing requires that you be really good at something else, whether that's comedy, compelling characterization, etc. I would say that the biggest commonality among the titles I dislike is a general sense of there being "no point." When other people praise this stuff, it's usually stuff like "oh, it's fun/light-hearted," but that feels like the "nice guy" of writing compliments. If something doesn't actually have good humor or an interesting plot and characters...seriously, what's the point? What's compelling people to keep reading?

Anyways, that's a couple paragraphs of me casting shade on other peoples' tastes.

Yeah there is this weird thing where the protagonists get overpowered but, there is no major threat, no imminent goal so it's dork around in fantasy world. So then your expecting quality drama or comedy, nahh and it's not even that it's of low quality it just basically doesn't exist and instead just meanders and repeats the same old beats.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Omi no Kami posted:

MoL: Man, the structure of the post-loop wrapup continues to be super-weird. Like, it feels like Z&Z were allowed to get far too powerful in maybe the last 25% of the story that took place in the loop- they have so many ways of potentially ending the threat right away (most of which rhyme with "call the army"), and I really wish that they had a more natural reason to not invoke the zillions of cool but boring and unsatisfying options that we saw them use successfully in the loop.

Also, nobody has mentioned it for like 90 chapters, but remember how the invasion was originally going to be backstopped by mass demon summonings, and one of the reasons their order of battle tended to collapse was because they were cut off from the infernal plane? I really hope nobody on the jerkass angels' side has forgotten about that.

Yeah, I feel like it's getting rushed a bit because the author is trying to keep some form of a schedule, but I hope before it gets thrown onto Kindle that this part gets some decent amount of rewrite attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Just noticed God King's Legacy started back up again.

Lucia remains the best awful protagonist.

Godking's Legacy posted:

Is there something wrong with me? All I want to do is curl up into a ball and -

Slaughter?

-and slaughter. Wait. No, that's not right. Curl up into a ball and -

Kill?

That's not right either!

Cut down everything bothersome?

No! ...Actually, that one's not too bad. If everything bothersome is gone, then that means I'll have all the time in the world to mope around and wallow in self-pity. Right. Let's get rid of all the bothersome things in the world, starting with the rainbow bird outside.