Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

q_k posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the Legions of Terror, The Watch, Winter, and Summer as the armies, and Ranger is the one. Or the original allied host, Winter, Summer, and the Knights are the armies. Unless someone else like the Diabolist is going to drop in.

I think that the Four Armies must be the original Legion/Watch Army, Summer, Winter, and the Knights. With the Watch acting as a cohesive part of Cat's group at the moment, it's hard to think of them as a separate entity for this battle at least, whereas the Knights coming in as a surprise attack sets them apart. At least it seems that way to me. Or maybe a surprise appearance by Diabolist's army of devils. Ranger is obviously the One, because who else could be called the One in a battle with four armies?

I read through the comments section on the update and like half the posts are from people who can't put together that it is Ranger in the hooded cloak in the hills sharpening a sword - 'Maybe it's Scribe! Maybe it's the Bard!'. How can you even enjoy a story if you're that oblivious to foreshadowing? It boggles the mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

builds character posted:

Practical Guide folks in the comments think the calamities are going to die. Why? I’m just not seeing/getting it.

I think there's enough foreshadowing to support it.
1. The title of these interludes is Calamity - the implication being twofold - these chapters are very important to the Calamities and there might be a calamity within them. Although it could be implying a calamity for their foes, like it usually does, my gut is that a calamity strikes them.
2. The quote at the start of Calamity I - "That’s the thing with invincibility. You have it until you don’t.” The Calamities have previously been invincible - until they're not.
3. The Tyrant and the Bard are both working to injure Black, and they've both shown themselves to be as genre-savvy as he can be, taking away maybe his greatest advantage. Nothing would injure him more than the death of a companion. I doubt they all die though - my money is on Warlock because Apprentice has transitioned so his death would open the Name up to new claimants.

As for Cat becoming the Black Knight, I personally think that there is no chance of that happening, at least permanently. If she succeeds Black, then she is just a continuation of his story, but really she's writing her own. Plus, with Hierophant we just saw how a name could transition into something unexpected with the right conditions.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Has Wildbow confirmed that Worm 2 is his next project, or is that just hopeful speculation on my part (and others too)?

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

If it's a direct sequel, where do you even go when you ended on 'stop space-Cthulu from killing All The Earths'?

He definitely built in some hooks that will at least be able to get the story rolling, like the Sleeper, whatever Teacher is up to, the screwed up Trigger events, and just the general difficulties the heroes will face in running their new interconnected multiverse, but I agree, it's hard to see where he'll go with it in the long run. The first Worm was all about escalation, but short of another alien showing up there's no escalating from that final conflict.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Kinda disappointed in today's Practical Guide: If Sabah really is killed offscreen because of under-explained "story" magic, when the last we actually see of her fight is the Beast loving up the Champion's poo poo, I'll be pretty pissed. I know that it was an obvious place to end the interludes, right when the Bard and Tyrant have Black at his lowest, but still if she's gonna die I want to loving see it. My only thought is maybe she's not dead, or at least not fully - like they only could kill the Beast but she herself is still alive or something. Surely there's a meta textual reason for keeping the circumstances of her death deliberately vague when doing so is such a dick punch to the reader.

I also re-read that last interlude and now I'm wondering about the Bard's finishing quip - '“This one feels like a sin, doesn’t it?” she mused. “Remember that, when the gears start turning.”' What does she mean here - that it feels like SHE'S commiting a sin, by targetting Sabah? Is she insinuating that she isn't fully on the side of Good?

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

SITB posted:

It's a reference to the Legion creed 'There is only one sin, defeat. There is only one grace, victory' and since Black lost decisively here she just burned him.

I think that withholding Sabah's defeat is meant to obfuscate Black's defeat. It starts with Sabah winning against the Champion, moves on to show how Weska kills Hedge and blocks Kairos from loving with it and moves on to show how Black is currently winning against the White Knight before the curtain is pulled back and we see how Black was played every step of the way.

We knew it was coming when the Tyrant revealed how Ashen Priestess was supposed to survive that if it wasn't for the Bard's meddling burrowing the Ashen Priestess death to fuel the Champion's victory against Sabah, that whole extended sequence was a to show how the Calamities fall contrasting with how the the Woes start to rise.

Excellent point about the Legion motto, I totally forgot about that. That makes perfect sense.

I agree with you about why it didn't seem like Sabah was going to lose when we last see her, it was definitely building dramatic tension. My point was that even after the curtain is pulled and it's revealed that she is the target, we don't even get to witness her death. It seems like a disservice to her character to just be like "Haha, your friend died" without even explaining how the fight turned around. That's why I said that TODAY'S chapter was disappointing - I wanted a Calamity IV showing her actual defeat, but instead it seems like that battle is just over and we're moving on.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
More specifically, Nursery mentions that they worked with a Thinker who is an information broker that ran Ops for their operation. She says that info broker has also been hired by Snag for a separate job. In the "of5" Glow-Worm chapter, we heard that Tattletale is working as an information broker and was hired by someone in the same trigger event to come after of5. The powers that of5 searchs for with regards to their cluster are acrobatics, prothestic tinker, emotion effect and severing power - sure sounds like Snag

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I very much enjoyed the most recent Practical Guide, specifically the back and forth between Squire and Warlock. I thought the dialogue between them was some of the best in the series. And I'm intrigued by the hypocrisy in Warlock's stance on Cat - not the one she calls him out on, which is totally justified (he is every bit the monster he accuses her of being) - but that he seems to hate her for the threat that she represents to his best friend through her existence as his "replacement". How is that situation any different from Apprentice and Warlock? We just saw Apprentice transition into another Mage name, so why would he not assume that she could or would do the same? He claims that she will be the death of Black, but Masego wasn't the death of Warlock.

Speaking of Cat's potentially impending transition, do you guys think that Black Queen will be her new name, or is that just a red herring? I've been convinced that she won't become a Black Knight since very early on, but I'm not sure I buy the Black Queen as her final form. After all, a Squire has to become a Knight, right? Maybe Knight Queen or something similar. Or Night Queen if wordplay is more your style, haha.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

violent sex idiot posted:

i read pearl as a clitoris joke , clamshell protecting it etc. im stupid as hell

You're not stupid, that's definitely the joke.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah. It's not getting better. The problem here is that the author doesn't want to cut, anywhere. He's got too many characters with too many plots and is determined to document every individual plot beat in excruciating detail, with exhaustive commentary. This is why a simple scene about doing repair work has been stretched piecemeal over like half a dozen chapters instead of knocked off in the five or so paragraphs it actually deserved.

Trissiny's sections are still alright, mostly. But we're cutting from her to the group in Puna Dar to the freshmen at the university to the group attacking the freshmen at the university to Tellwyrn's own separate branch of that to Vadrieny's own private quest...

Quoting this post because today's chapter epitomizes these issues so much. Instead of advancing the plot in any meaningful way, the author spends 2/3 of the chapter in the head of a tertiary (at best) character as she reminisces about her dad teaching her to cast evil magic spells. This is not an efficient use of your word count, author! He's juggling like 5 or 6 more important plot threads in the story right now, which is already spreading it WAAAAAY too thin, no need to waste an entire chapter like this.

I think I need to step away from this story for a year or so, reading as they're released is just frustrating the poo poo out of me

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Prac Guide always cracks me up hard with the undead names.

I'm surprised none of them were called "Mage Goat" or something like that.

Crackpot, tin-foil hat theory time (most recent chapter of Practical Guide) What if Cat low-key transitioned at the start of this chapter, with Fall now as her first aspect of the new name? This theory is mostly based on this paragraph:

"So I seized my hatreds and accepted them for what they were: the foundations of my power. I’d been told once that a Name could not spring from void, but that’d been untrue. It was Roles that were shaped by the currents of Creation, left glittering and polished stones at the bottom of the riverbed. Names were something more… intimate. A collection of sharp moments before and ahead of you. Huddling hungry under covers, after the price of bread had risen. Blood in my mouth as I fought a man too large and strong to beat, defeat crawling ever closer. It was a lesson on the nature of stories, learned by burned shores. It was a faceless tribunal whose verdict I had refused. I’d tried for so long to make something of all this, to weave together a tale that did not have bile rising in my throat. But there was nothing sacred about baring your blade, nothing laudable about telling the world it must bend or break. If I disdained the lay of Creation as ordained by the Gods, the banners of black and white, then I must either make my own or find myself nothing but a butcher among butchers. And so I took those vivid moments and made them a blade, and that blade I bared once more. It could begin here, under cover of moonless night."

To me that quote sort of seems like she's forging a new name for herself out of nothingness, unbound to Gods Above or Below. Or maybe she's just sinking deeper into her name than she ever is before. I dunno, just tossing out a random thought

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Practical Guide newest chapter:

First, I loved this chapter. The different paths that her life could have taken were cool as gently caress; especially the one where she joined the hero's side as they kept bitching at her about in book 2. I like how it worked out just like she had thought it would - they win, but Callow is absolutely destroyed in the process. I also found it interesting that Akua defeated the Malicia in all of the alternate timelines - Malicia is so smugly certain that she has Akua under control (even bragging about helping her in the dark to Tasia in "Closure") that it's interesting to know that she would ultimately fail - if you can believe in the truth of these visions.

My question is this - does the last sentence mean that the "real" version of the scene in this chapter was a vision as well? She looks UP, implying that we're back at the bottom of the stairs where she split, but she looks at OPEN gates where they were closed before. I'm torn and can't wait until Monday to see what happens next; If there's an interlude coming I riot.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Silynt posted:

Practical Guide newest chapter:

First, I loved this chapter. The different paths that her life could have taken were cool as gently caress; especially the one where she joined the hero's side as they kept bitching at her about in book 2. I like how it worked out just like she had thought it would - they win, but Callow is absolutely destroyed in the process. I also found it interesting that Akua defeated the Malicia in all of the alternate timelines - Malicia is so smugly certain that she has Akua under control (even bragging about helping her in the dark to Tasia in "Closure") that it's interesting to know that she would ultimately fail - if you can believe in the truth of these visions.

My question is this - does the last sentence mean that the "real" version of the scene in this chapter was a vision as well? She looks UP, implying that we're back at the bottom of the stairs where she split, but she looks at OPEN gates where they were closed before. I'm torn and can't wait until Monday to see what happens next; If there's an interlude coming I riot.

I reread the chapter at lunch today (I liked it a lot), and a closer reading illustrated that I had misinterpreted some of the action the first time around.

I originally had assumed that these visions were internally generated, her Name reliving the consequences of her original Pivot just before she has her next one. On a second pass, however, it seems clear to me that these visions were some form of spell left by Diabolist - just before it starts Cat notices the heavy traces of sorcery around her and how that is obviously an array of some sort.

This understanding colors the content of the visions in a different light. While they are all still believable outcomes for Cat's life, they clearly were all set up to end in her kneeling at the feet of Dread Empress Magnificent (Diabolist). These weren't real alternate timelines, but alternate realities specifically crafted by Akua to make Cat think that this moment was inevitable. Thus, I retract my statement that Malicia is underestimating Akua, at least based on the evidence of this chapter- Akua specifically crafted these visions to make herself the winner.

As for the ending, a closer reading essentially confirms that even the "real" vision was still just a vision from the array. The final paragraph perfectly mirrors the start of the "real" vision, with slight variation:

"My boot touched the stone. I was myself, across three lives I had never lived and one I was living. I began the climb in utter silence."

is the start of the vision and

"My boot touched the stone. I looked up to doors of bronze wide open and began the climb, humming the tune to a song I had never heard."

is how the chapter ends. I really like that juxtaposition to show how the showdown between Cat and Akua to come will not be the same as the scene we already witnessed.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Practical Guide: I found today's chapter to be very frustrating to read - not just because I want Cat to win (which obviously I do) but because Akua's particular brand of smug "All according to my plan" villainy is so aggravating, and the successes she sees just reek of authorial bullshit to push the story forward. For all that she professes to have learned from the mistakes of the past from watching Black and Malicia, at the end of the day she acts EXACTLY like all of the traditional villains whom they stomped on. So why is she winning? Because the author decided that in this case she would, against the entire premise of the story thus far.

Also, its bullshit that the Diabolist has such power over the Fae - they are pretty explicitly not Devils or Demons.

Also also, Cat's reaction to losing was so out of character that it drove me nuts. I'm hoping that it will be retconned later into "Name Bullshit" messing with her head, like her reaction to the healing in Book 1, because otherwise I can't follow.

I hope this is leading to Cat doing something to break the obvious "Black sacrifices himself to save his student and turn the tide" story that is being foreshadowed, because that story is so cliche that if it plays out in a novel that is supposedly about destroying tropes I will have lost all faith in the author's intent.

tl:dr, I'm salty that Cat's plan failed and now I'm ranting about it with poorly formulated excuses. I'm getting too invested in this storyline lol.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Practical Guide At first I didn't understand the story that she was inhabiting at the end of the chapter that gave her the weight of Creation. She spells it out at the end though, I just didn't notice at first -

“What are you?” Akua Sahelian gasped.

“The monster,” I said. “The one you should have bound tighter.”

She is the villain's monster that slipped its leash, turned on the villain in its freedom. She's the raptor eating Vincent D'onofrio in Jurassic World. She's Vader at the end of Return. What's impressive is that Black set it all up - he knew she would get Claimed when she took the fight to Arcadia, but let her do it anyways because it set her up for the betrayal story. Good stuff, solid chapter.

Edit: I read a comment on the chapter that I liked - Black's first question, about the Closed Circle of Mercantis. I bet that Malicia controls it from behind the scenes, so he knows now that she was funneling assets to Akua that she needed to get her plan rolling. That's why he looks tired for a second after she answers, because he knows that he'll have to choose between Malicia and Cat in the near future.

Silynt fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 23, 2018

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

lurksion posted:

Practical Guide as usual keeps on the escalation schedule.

Also caught up on Gods are Bastards and my reaction to the end of the current update is :confused:

Yea, the ending of this morning's TGAB was.... not great.

In Practical Guide, I was surprised that Catherine sided with Malicia over Black regarding disposal of the weapon. On the one hand, I know that she cares about Callow above all else, so she's grasping at straws to protect it from war. On the other hand, she seems to have bought into Black's preaching about the inevitability of defeat for people who own things like that weapon, so why would she toss aside that core belief right at this moment?

To me, Malicia's insistence that simply owning the weapon would prevent war seems hideously short sighted. In the real world, nuclear deterrents work because all sides are rational actors who don't want to end the world. In this fiction, in the minds of the side of Good, they are Evil first and foremost, even if they are a "different breed" of Villain. Why would Procer trust them to not use their nukes? I think possession of the weapon makes war more likely, not less. At least until they use it in defense, and at that point you're basically writing the story of your own defeat.

I liked seeing the Bard pop in at the end. Was this moment her end-game all along? In order to get Black to turn on Malicia, she allowed Akua to create her weapon knowing that they would have opposing views on what to do with it.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Prac Guide. Holy poo poo.

I'm glad that Cat is finally getting out from under the shadow of Black. While he is a great character, as long as she was just blindly following his plans she was a character in HIS story, as opposed to making her own. That said, I'm still firmly in Black's camp regarding how to deal with the super-weapon, which makes the break from Black frustrating because I feel like she's doing it for the wrong reasons. I know that in this chapter she makes it about him using her without trusting her, but ultimately it comes back to his Destruction of the weapon and how he didn't listen to her perspective, as if she was willing to listen to his.

Also, it seems like this book is going to wind down without a transition to a new Name which is such a lovely blueball by the author. Building up to a big reveal for months just so you can pull the rug out from under it at the 11th hour is just a kick in the nuts to your readers and I hate when any author does it, not just in this case. I hope it gets resolved soon to some degree because I find the mechanics of the Name magic and their Aspects much more interesting than "and now she has all the Fae powers."

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Over the past few weeks I marathoned through The Wandering Inn and in general I loved it. I have to say though, I really hate Ryoka. The reasons why she is easily my least favorite character have shifted over time - in Book 1, it was because her irrational behavior, over the top misanthropy and borderline bi-polar personality snaps were impossible for me to empathize with. Also, her existence as obvious author self insert (Hot Asian chick martial artist who knows everything and is WAY to smart to play along with THE SYSTEM) really sat poorly with me. That said, I'm pretty sure that as the reader we weren't supposed to like her during this stretch, so I was ok with it and she grew out of a lot of those problems after book 1.

In the next few books (and still now), her refusal to gain any levels drove me NUTS. At this point she hadn't been offered Deus ex Machina Faerie magic yet, so it was just her being difficult for no reason. Obstinacy in the face of all given advice is not a feature, it's a flaw, but it wasn't played that way by the narrative. Also, I hated the way she figured out that there is a maximum level and that you shouldn't diversify your classes was super frustrating, ESPECIALLY when it turns out to be accurate. She offers up like 3 pieces of anecdotal evidence as support (and even then doesn't overcome the objection of "maybe leveling is just harder when you're older"), but all of a sudden Klbkch and Krshia are like "Holy poo poo why didn't we think of that! No one's ever come to this super obvious conclusion before. Thanks Ryoka, you're such a genius!". Also, and I may be remembering this wrong, but wasn't there a cult or something that preached this same philosophy mentioned in Book 1, as something of a joke? The Levelists?

Finally, in Book 4, she at long last returns to Liscor, and when she gets back is weirdly patronizing to everyone she was helping. She won't tell Zel about the Necromancer "in order to protect him", as if he isn't one of the most powerful people on the continent. Who is she to make that call? Same with her refusal to discuss the details of her trade with the Horns. They have the right to know the details of the trade you negotiated on their behalf, bitch.

Anyways, TLDR: Ryoka sucks.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Wandering Inn Patreon chapter (4.22)

Actually, this question is about 4.23 but I didn't want to spoil that there were two chapters on Tuesday. At the end of 4.23, Laken repeatedly mentions a "him" or "he" that he met in Invrisil who gave him some advice on Emperoring. Did we witness this interaction? Do we know who this person is? Is he just gender-bending Ryoka as some form of misdirection, or did he actually meet someone else?

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Personally, I don't understand the disdain some people have for Word of God type info dumps. I think it is important to note regarding the WoG stuff that this isn't just Wildbow (or any other web serialist who provides such errata) producing story relevant info and proactively posting blogs about it outside of their text. Wildbow, and other authors who interact with their fan communities, comment on questions which are posed either to them directly or speculatively amongst the community itself. It is a symptom of the much greater level of connection between creator and consumer in the digital age, and I personally think it is great. Complaining about fans interacting with creators in this way is living in the past instead of embracing the medium for what it is.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Practical Guide is back today after its month long hiatus with two new chapters, the Prologue to Book 4 and the conclusion of the White Knight's extra chapter.

All in all, I liked the Prologue chapter. Good fight scene, good job setting the stage from an outsider's perspective, good job showing the divided but placated opinions of the Callowan peasantry on their new Queen. Still no confirmation on Cat's Name - she gets called Black Queen repeatedly, but also it is specifically referenced that it is unknown if she is still the Squire. I found it interesting that this is the sixth hero group to come after Cat - where do these people keep popping up from? And why are the Heavens targeting Cat now, vs continuing to go after Black and Co.? Has she stepped past them in danger level, or is she just a weak link with a bright red bullseye on her back?

Anyways, this is my favorite ongoing serial and I'm excited that it is back.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Wild Patreon chapter of Wandering Inn this morning. Non-patron readers, look forward to Saturday.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
It was the cliffhanger from the chapter before this that I posted about last week, saying "Look forward" to it.... I desperately wanted to say something about the end of this chapter on Saturday, but I didn't want to be that guy posting about the Patreon chapters every single upload day. But now that it is live to the world: that ending really pissed me off. I guess ultimately it comes down to me not liking character death (not a fan of "grimdark" fantasy settings), but this death felt particularly arbitrary. To develop a character over several books, just to kill him because of a child's temper tantrum annoyed the poo poo out of me. But the world moves on, and I assume there is a plan.

All that said, regarding today's Patreon chapter: HOLY loving poo poo THAT ENDING! This author has a real hard-on for cliffhangers right now, today makes 3 brutal ones in a row.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Argue posted:

TWI: I'm surprised at how much people cared about Brunkr dying; I think even killing the wagon driver Mr. Termin would have displeased me more than killing Brunkr. Also I'm not wholly convinced it'll stick anyway as the only deaths that have stuck in the past were the Horns, and even then one of them came back. If anything I was worried the author had an aversion to killing off named characters, which I guess is another problem altogether.

Honestly, I was surprised by how much I was affected by Brunkr's death. I think part of it is that he is one of the very few character's who have shown actual growth in the story so far. Others include Pawn, Lyonette (although she experienced less "character growth" and more "became an entirely different person"), Toren, arguably Pisces.... and not many beyond that. So offing one of these characters right after he had come to a personal epiphany felt like a particularly large gut check to me. Which I guess is the point. I honestly think I would have cared less if Krshia had been the one killed.

One an unrelated note, Practical Guide: So Cat has chosen to keep Akua's soul on a leash and allow it the freedom to interact with her and provide advice on matters of state. No way THAT will come back to bite her. :doh:

Silynt fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 18, 2018

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

PetraCore posted:

So what is the Practical Guide about?

An orphan girl in a Good kingdom that was conquered by an Evil Empire 20 years ago becomes the apprentice of fantasy Darth Vader and works to leverage her new position and power to improve the lot of her kingdom. The universe has a fairly unique and meta magic system based around the power of narrative tropes, where characters can come to embody certain cliche Roles and gain a Name which grants them power - the main character's mentor, for instance, is Named the Black Knight. It's good.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

navyjack posted:

It has some really great characters, as well, which is what keeps me reading more than anything. Some pretty good giant battle set pieces and the mentioned “magic system” are noteworthy, too.

I totally agree. I realize that using words like "trope" and "cliche" may have come across as negative, but it's probably my favorite serial that I'm actively following.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Two new TWI side chapters just got pushed to patreon subscribers and it's CLOWN :kheldragar:

E: Also holy poo poo Pirateaba is making $3400 a month, that's fuckin rad.

I hope there are more Clown chapters incoming, because otherwise these two feel like a waste. 20,000 words of navel-gazing and repetitive "I'm not insane! Yes I am! No I'm not! Yes I am!". Nothing happens at all until the last 10% of the second chapter.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Surely if she does have a new Name, it's Black Queen, right? I feel like, in universe, if you have a Name you can't just walk around with everyone calling you by some other title. In my mind the only way that isn't her Name is if she doesn't have one anymore.

Edit: although I did just think of Carrion Lord as a counter-example, so maybe I'm wrong about that.

Silynt fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 5, 2018

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Wolpertinger posted:

I was under the impression that she was GOING to become 'Black Queen' but Black's sabotage broke the name from being a true one, but it was close enough that people think it's what she has. I feel like she's still in some sort of weird transition and is mostly running on Fae juice now.

Oh, I totally agree. My point was supposed to be that I think she doesn't have a Name at the moment, not that I think it is Black Queen. But I think that if there is a Name at the moment, that's probably it, not some unknown to be revealed.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Wandering Inn Patreon chapter 4.33

That better be a loving fake out.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
New Practical Guide (Ballon):

Great chapter, very exciting. First time we've gotten to see the full extent of Winter Queen Cat's power, and it's enough to hang with the heavy hitters on the other team so Good News! Well, she arguably lost to Saint of Swords, but fighting 1 on 1 against a top tier threat in their own camp is pretty much a worst case scenario for Cat, so I'll give her a pass. Interesting how it ended, too - I wonder why she started to become human at the end.

It has only been 3 chapters, but I already want another Crusaders interlude to see their reaction to this opening salvo from team Callow.

Edit: Reading through the chapter again, I was really impressed by how the internal monologue changes once she draws deeply in Winter - the heroes become "human" or "it", the Saint becomes "hound". The level of arrogance really reaches the heights that we see in the other powerful Fae. A good job by the author of "showing not telling" regarding her diminishing humanity.

Silynt fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 9, 2018

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
TWI: I was underwhelmed by the Greydath reveal. Obviously the old goblin had been built up to be more than meets the eye, so the fact that he's a powerful Goblin Lord isn't too surprising. I was annoyed at how the reveal 100% made him into a new character - he didn't seem to be faking his senile old man shtick from the past several books, but all of a sudden he is tall and powerful and disdainful of Rags when he previously had been old and shriveled and supportive. Like, there is literally nothing similar between Greydath and Greybeard, and that to me is a lovely reveal.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
While that was definitely a lot of inane ranting, I think it's fair to say that "retroactive father" isn't a very clear way to describe who you were talking about. Just say Duke of Violent Squalls, or "that Duke she stole the mantle from"

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

navyjack posted:

Hey, what did Herschel reveal to Trissiny in the most recent TGAB to make her decide that Basra has to go RIGHT FUCKEN NOW? And what does it have to do with their adventure in the tower? It’s presented as something that should be obvious to us, but I don’t get it.

I think he gave her the details on Syrinx's relationship with Jenell Covrin.

I thought the whole dressing down that Sweet gave them in this chapter was INCREDIBLY forced, I was eye-rolling my way through the whole thing. Like, there were plenty of actual issues with the way they handled the Calderaas issue, relating to abuse of power and a "Might Makes Right" mentality, but instead Darling starts bitching about how they caused political drama in the Thieve's Guild? Who gives a gently caress. And the Tar'Naris slave trade angle is absurd - are they supposed to run everything by the Thieve's Guild upper brass so that they don't accidentally interfere with a top secret operation? Give me a break.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I haven't read older chapters in a while, but wasn't the history of the Orcs that they had a pretty expansive culture before they were broken by the Miezan Empire (precursor of Praes)? And it was only after that massacre that they became the blood thirsty tribal people that we see in present day?

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Small Wandering Inn spoiler from today's Patreon chapter, just a passing historical mention not a plot point: It is mentioned that the Goblin King landed on Izril's shores with his armies during the Second Antinium War, 1 million goblins strong. I had previously been under the impression that Velan the Kind was an Izril native. I wonder what that goblin key is all about? I assume that it opens something on Izril or why else would the goblins invade? The secret goblin history is fascinating and I hope it lives up to the buildup. My guess is that they are the corrupted Elves

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Hey! I'm always happy to see Cradle get some love, I introduced it to the other thread... sometime last year, I think? Right when Blackflame was coming out. I hadn't pushed it over here because it's not technically a web serial, but if anyone is interested in a western fantasy story that pays homage to Chinese fantasy web novels I highly recommend them. Will Wight is easily the strongest Amazon self published author I've read (I know that's a laughably low bar).

I totally agree about Skysworn, easily the weak link. Ghostwater was a solid return to form I thought.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Wandering Inn Patreon chapter (4.49):

Oof.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Self-quote for the now public chapter:

Silynt posted:

Wandering Inn Patreon chapter (4.49):

Oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
She died, right? I read the chapter a few days ago but I thought that there was a bit about her dying.