Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

I'm rather enjoying the latest villainous interlude in Practical Guide to Evil. I really should have seen that twist coming, but either way Anaxares has been one of my favorite characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

The quote at the beginning of this chapter is suggestive.... could Catherine and the Dead King have more in common than we expected? If the undead can escape Fate, then maybe the two of them have a real shot at kicking over the game board between Above and Below. It could line up with the terms of the invitation she got.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Ha, I remember that chapter. Yeah, the edgy posturing doesn’t reflect well on her. And that talk of how you influence those around you is interesting.. they definitely develop those themes more later on.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

PoorWeather posted:

I linked it in passing a few pages ago, but since asking here more directly doesn't seem to be as tacky as I thought it was, would anyone be willing to offer some direct feedback on my own web fic, The Flower That Bloomed Nowhere? It's a fantasy/mystery thing I've been working on for the past few months. It's about a class of novice healers that get invited to an organization trying to achieve immortality, and then bad stuff happens.

It's not been super successful so far and I think I basically understand why, since it doesn't hit many of the appeal beats meant to bring in the big numbers - although I make some token efforts in that respect - but I can't escape the sense that it's awkward in a way that goes beyond that? It's kind of a frakenstein of various different concepts I've been throwing at a wall for the past few years, and though I feel satisfied with how its going, I wonder how it looks to people outside of my own brain.

If you give it a shot and bounce off it, I'd appreciate knowing what bored you or put you off, and when exactly you stopped, even if it was right at the start. Alternatively, if anyone actually gets into it, then great!

Based on the story description, the closest web serial I've gotten into is Mother of Learning. I didn't bother trying Mother of Learning until it got recommended to me dozens of times, since I am skeptical of time travel as a story element and I don't particularly like anime high school plots. I do like D&D adventures, wizard schemes, and people having fun. When I finally gave MoL a shot, the character interactions were charming, and it kept my interest until the crazy stuff started up.

When I look at Flower That Bloomed Nowhere, I see three personal red flags.
1. Not a huge fan of trauma-fests
2. Another school life story
3. Time travel can really mess up a story

I started reading, but after some meta this-is-a-simulation chatter (where one person is trying to cut a bunch of corners, which is pissing off the other one) it was just one person narrating their life story to me in between wandering around an abandoned school they don't know where they ended up. Major problems with telling, not showing. I started skimming ahead, looking for character interactions that didn't involve two programmers sniping at each other. Then I got to two magic school students, and one was fumbling a joke about a demon summoner. At this point we were actually getting somewhere with characterization, and the main character joking about suicides and self-immolation probably ties into the themes represented by this immortality cult that they're going to end up visiting. But I hadn't really been hooked by anything, and I decided to let it go.

I'm probably not the target audience for this. I bounced off of Worm and Pith really fast, even though they did a good job generating interesting and compelling characters/relationships in the beginning. But it definitely looks like you've put a lot of effort into developing a complex world, and I could see myself getting invested in a story about a backstabbing wizard academics if it led by establishing some interesting and likeable characters. I hope that helps!

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Gladi posted:

"Beware of Chicken" is a "twist" on xianxia. The twist being that cultivators are crazy and you should not do drugs. Instead you should start a farm and cultivate rice. This makes it sound more mean than it really is, instead of making GBS threads on xianxia tropes it is mostly a mellow and humorous slice-of-life with a greater story undercurrent. It is now on RoyalRoad. It originates from a seedier site, but is SFW even there.

Looks like the RoyalRoad page has some content warnings for violence / sexual content. What are the odds it gets more extreme later?

EDIT: If "cultivating rice" ends up being like the Sakuna harvest goddess action game that came out a while, I could see that being pretty neat. Traditional farming was more engaging than I expected. Haven't opened the story yet, though.

avoraciopoctules fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 24, 2021

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I have only read two half-chapters of Worm, but I have read a lot of discussion about it. Would it be reasonable to say that Practical Guide to Evil does a better job with the supporting cast in addition to the protagonist? Anaxares is MVP, of course, but the Woe present a variety of viewpoints without ringing any of my creepy stereotype alarm bells. I wouldn't say that Archer, Hakram, Masego, or
Vivienne are particularly complicated people, but I enjoy reading their distinct voices.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Werewolves should just be cut out of pop media man. No one has ever written a good were story. I will die on this hill. :tizzy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qae25976UgA

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Where PGtE makes a misstep is that it constantly hides information from the reader that its viewpoint protagonists have, but it also frequently refuses to actually show us the plan unfolding. As a result you get Katherine spending 20+ chapters going "Luckily, I knew something that they did not, and a certain something, somewhere, would happen sometime, and it would change everything," then in a single chapter saying "Yeah, so remember how I said there was a plan? There was, and it happened, so I win." That's not how you set up and pay off a plan, that's just lazy writing.

I've also found that it makes the protagonist come off as kind of obnoxious. I'm rooting for her to fail more often than not. It's kind of a shame that the bonus chapters are delayed-access now, because I always appreciated a break from Cat's bullshit. Generally, other characters are more enjoyable to read about.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Catherine's history is pretty much full of "won the battle but lost the war" situations.

That's a pretty good point... which makes it kind of annoying that she's in charge now. I mean, I've heard of failing upwards, but this is getting kind of absurd.

I wouldn't say that PGtE has a universally unpleasant lead, and there's certainly high points. However, I think the bonus chapters being way more fun to read says some unfortunate things about the protagonist.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Cicero posted:

Earlier they were free just on the regular Kindle store.

That worked for me. I decided to buy the most recent book for four bucks after I realized the first four were free.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Absum posted:

I'm pretty sure Black intends to destroy the Tower rather than become Emperor. See "If the song refused to leave him, then he would silence it." and more recently "I would like every last drop of goblinfire in possession of the Tribes." Catherine may not need an Emperor/Empress per se, but she's definitely going for one and probably still would if Black talked to her about this because it's a safer and easier way of getting those mages she needs.
That would line up with the last time Catherine really wanted control of a magical superweapon and he had a say, right? Catherine wasn't exactly happy with him when Black overrode her and Malicia to destroy it.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Sorry for the double post, but SA wouldn't let me edit the prior post and I think I found the chapter that might echo what we are talking about in Practical Guide to Evil
https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpress.com/2018/02/26/chapter-69-swan-song/comment-page-1/

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I'm not sure if the situations here are really similar. The current Catherine would probably agree with Black's reasoning from this chapter.

There are definitely some major differences. She's learned a few lessons, and she's juiced up on a different flavor of god power this month. But stabbing Black in his tent afterwards is very much similar to what she did with Akua.

Big name on team evil puts her country in the crosshairs to serve their political ends, she responds later with a theatrical bridge-burning that leaves them wounded but alive and in a position to cause her grief. In both cases, there is also war going on.

Similarly, the Tower has been built up as a politically significant superweapon. Both in terms of all the evil magic nonsense and the symbolic center all Praesi cackling supervillains orbit around.

Black said that he was "done with half measures" when he broke Catherine and Malicia's portal-making superweapon. He thought that "keeping the weapon was certain to ensure the destruction of the Empire at the hand of heroes".

It would be quite narratively satisfying if he doubled down on that promise and struck decisively at the heart of the Praesi nobility. He's not working within the system anymore, and he's probably one of the best positioned to wreck it. Given everything that has been said in this book about how the high houses are the ones ruining a pretty cool country, we might be edging into some glorious proletariat revolution territory!

Catherine has more respect for royalty and strong executive powers than Black does. I would be quite entertained if the reason they can't work together is that Black is too pro-democracy.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I think I stopped reading Wandering Inn when it became clear that the sentient skeleton slave Erin had been abusing wasn't going to succeed in offing her.. I was so fed up with the two isekai protags at that point that it was either bail or just read the gaiden chapters.

I've heard that things get cooler later, and I am definitely willing to believe it, but there are plenty of other books with more likeable protagonists that I'd rather read instead.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Cicero posted:

I have unfollowed Delve for the cardinal sin of being real boring

edit: I'm enjoying Outcast well enough, but I can't say I'm a fan of starting the story with crisis after crisis after crisis and not giving the protagonist a chance to breathe. Maybe that's just me though

I appreciate that Outcast is mixing up what kind of crisis, at least. All sorts of different angles the protagonist has to deal with. I am midway through chapter 46, and it looks like things are going in a straight up Disco Elysium direction.

I am extremely hyped to see how this little twist on the usual gamelit tropes will evolve going forward. I'm also kinda hyped that we've got a main character who takes a reasonably nuanced view of the situation before settling on "don't be a dick" and sticking to it.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Somewhat similarly, it doesn't seem to make sense to me that the protagonist is supposed to be "literally sadder than (as far as we know) anyone else in the world." He's dealt with terrible stuff, but nothing on the level of "having family members killed" or "being directly exposed to (or participating in) war crimes." Being (potentially permanently) cut off from your family/friends is awful, but it's kind of objectively better than "having your family/friends killed (often in front of your eyes)." The war of the Scouring would have created countless people with significantly worse circumstances than Rob.

This was definitely a point of friction for me. Kinda like the big reveal about the moment of Ultimate Despair in Dangan Ronpa being some rich kids got killed by psychos in a first world country. Like, come on, you don't even need to look at the history of colonialism, there's plenty worse things going on right now. If Rob's white boy problems are the most depressing stuff to have ever happened in the history of fantasyland, what happens when a middle eastern child soldier gets yanked in? If he's a 4 or 5 on trauma, there's plenty of people who'd probably hit double digits no problem at all.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Bhodi posted:

It's not really possible to put personal suffering into comparable context, which is an interesting dichotomy in a genre whose foundational world is based in concrete tangible numbers. Suffering is intensely individualistic and it isn't a measurable or comparable event, so others having it worse in the past does not invalidate or lessen Rob's suffering.

e: trauma bonding is definitely a thing though, and I think there's a lot of exploratory meat on the particular idea that they all became a group largely through hardship rather than shared values, once things settle down a little (if they ever do).
Both those points are pretty solid. People's brains are generally pretty adaptable to whatever circumstances they grew up in as far as setting out whatever the rules for "normal" are. The degree of trauma someone is wrestling with doesn't necessarily correspond with their external circumstances. Rob might be better off than a lot of people, but that doesn't mean we should trivialize what he's dealing with, it still has a big impact on him.

That said, I still get the feeling that isekai-ing someone out of an ICE detention center would give you solid odds of beating Rob's spot on the global depression high score ladder. Abuse of immigrants is still a massive problem, and it can be a little frustrating seeing how easy it is for a lot of media to erase stuff like that. Would be nice if media made our modern social problems harder to ignore.

Hmm... on the other hand, if I spend too long trying to point out who has it worst, I'm basically just a SMBC comic. And asking someone to write a character who comes from a radically different real-life social context also presents a ton of challenges. You'd have to do a ton of research to avoid offending someone with your depiction, I expect.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Oh, neat. Hello, DarkTechnomancer. I started reading your story when this thread's discussion of it picked up a few days back. So far, I'm at like... chapter 8? The main character and the psycho knife chucking roommate have pledged friendship after zapping each other with magical empathy waves, and they just got a big chapterlong lecture on how the world's magic system works.

No stat sheets, thankfully, but there's a LOT of names to keep track of, and I feel like I am going to struggle to remember who is who without more distinct character voices and signifiers. Still, I am enjoying what I've read so far. The dialogue feels a little flat, but I like the main character, appreciate the fact that in spite of the bad times they've had, they are still willing to DO stuff instead of moping around.

From what people are saying about the main char's over-trusting in others turning into a bit of a character flaw later, I am interested to see where that goes. I can definitely see that the story where I am right now could use a bit of conflict, and if the knife psycho is out of play that probably means we're going to see some other jerk students. Looking forward to seeing what happens next, thanks for the story!

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Bremen posted:

I found most of the characters pretty distinctive once I got a bit further. Except the two (not horrible) Qin guys, I always got them mixed up.

And something I definitely appreciated about book 2 is there was no moping around being depressed or complaining (correctly) about how unfair things were. When everything goes to hell, she just does what she can and tries to make the best of it. I found it pretty refreshing.

That's really nice to hear :) I know lots of serials start off pretty rough, now I'm really hyped to see how the characters evolve!

Also glad to hear that the protagonist stays willing to engage with their problems. It's definitely true to life that people can be overwhelmed and shut down, but I much prefer characters who make the best of things and try to have some fun along the way.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Those are the two guards that gave the main character their uniform early on? Seemed like a decent duo, I'm kinda curious what they might be like encountered apart.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I haven't read further than the first book, but the bugs are still getting limited on the tech they keep by the evil empire, right? And the protagonist is still not happy about being a humanite slave?

I figure that if the Resistance offers to share technology and not hold nuclear obliteration over their heads, bug-friends might at least give that deal some consideration. The main argument against seems to be that their old planet is basically being held hostage, but that seems potentially solvable.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Where does one cast these votes? Have not heard of that award before.

The first thing that comes up when I google "stabby awards" is reddit.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Man, the latest Anaxares bit in Practical Guide to Evil was really nice. I like how they showed that he can have a bit of empathy without at all compromising his principles. Good chapter!

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

nrook posted:

Fates Parallel volume 2 is dropping on Amazon tomorrow; I’m intensely curious if and how the plot will be reworked.

e: I don’t know what day it is.

Would definitely be interested if someone else gave their impressions of the reworked Fates Parallel. I got the first book on Amazon, but I bailed midway through after I was given some content warnings. Specifically, I heard the initial soul-bond brainwashing stuff I found creepy was nothing compared to what would show up later with... I think some princess lady they had just met..

As I understand it, a lot of that is integral to the story being told, but I imagine it's still possible that a rework could tone down some unpleasantness.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

nrook posted:

• The main premise of the story really is the unique bond between Jia and Eui which blurs their minds. At least one major character is under the impression that once they advance far enough in their cultivation, they will cease to exist as distinct people. This element isn't going anywhere and would be impossible to cut out, so if it bothers you you should drop the story.

This first one is the one that made me drop the story. I don't have any issues with transhumanism stuff. In a hypothetical world where people can reprogram their own minds, I figure consenting adults should be able to do whatever. Some friends want to fuse their brains into one cybernetic brain-jar consciousness? Sure, as long as they know what they are getting into. In fact, I thought the magical hive mind stuff in Graydon Saunders' Commonweal books was pretty cool.

If I recall correctly, the main difference in Fates Parallel is that they just bumble into the magical mind-fusing thing, and by the time they figure out what is going on it's too late to undo or for anybody to give informed consent. That's pretty messed up! If I discovered that the jerk who threatened me with a knife was copying bits of their brain into my own in my sleep, I would probably do something pretty drastic. The sooner one of us is dead, the less likely I'll turn into a jerk like them.

Then again, maybe the jerk roommate who threatened me with a knife has some useful skills. Maybe it's a necessary evil, given that I'm surrounded by a messed up cultivation world full of other jerks, and this messed up mindmeld could make them less likely to stab me. I've definitely enjoyed some cyberpunk stories about people's willingness to erode the self in exchange for power, social acceptability, etc. There was a pretty cool video essay by Jacob Geller about brain transplants quite recently, as a matter of fact https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMkrrjKf5AE

A story that had both characters seriously reckon with how messed up what they accidentally did to each other without consent was could be really interesting. In fact, it's so interesting that I kinda end up wandering off to watch video essays about the cyberghost that brainjacks you in Cyberpunk 2077, or the ethics of copy-pasting brains in SOMA.

Hmm, where was I going with this anyways.... ah yes, if the author has the brain melded characters actually talking to each other about all the messed up aspects of the situation, and making their peace with it as a necessary sacrifice to keep going in their hellworld, that could be a legit real cool story.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

berenzen posted:

Not a webserial, but if you want to read books that has that stuff as a subtheme and talks about and deals with those themes I highly recommend A Memory Called Empire and A Desolation Called Peace by Arkades Martine.

Thanks! Checking them out now... here's the amazon pages for anyone else curious:
- https://www.amazon.com/Memory-Called-Empire-Arkady-Martine-ebook/dp/B07C7BCB88
- https://www.amazon.com/Desolation-Called-Peace-Teixcalaan-Book-ebook/dp/B07QPJHNSM

Ambassador Mahit Dzmare arrives in the center of the multi-system Teixcalaanli Empire only to discover that her predecessor, the previous ambassador from their small but fiercely independent mining Station, has died. But no one will admit that his death wasn't an accident—or that Mahit might be next to die, during a time of political instability in the highest echelons of the imperial court.

Now, Mahit must discover who is behind the murder, rescue herself, and save her Station from Teixcalaan's unceasing expansion—all while navigating an alien culture that is all too seductive, engaging in intrigues of her own, and hiding a deadly technological secret—one that might spell the end of her Station and her way of life—or rescue it from annihilation.

Sounds pretty cool! I just placed it on hold at my library, should hopefully arrive in a few days.

I would also recommend some Adrian Tchaikovsky sci-fi books:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25499718-children-of-time
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40376072-children-of-ruin
It's all about hearts and minds. And going on an adventure

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

There are quite a few web serials that end up cyclically discussed in this thread. I think that personally, I'd be really interested in comparing...
A Succession of Bad Days by Saunders with Fates Parallel. Perhaps throw Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic books in there too. There's a common thread running through each that I don't think we've tried contrasting side by side in this thread yet, and I always like an excuse to revisit Tamora Pierce's stuff.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

On the plus side, you can just buy the kindle books directly. I don't do monthly subscription services, but most of these converted web serials cost about the same as just snagging a paperback at a local bookstore. Beware of Chicken is... five bucks, to buy book 1 without any subscription service involved. Not too bad

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Even if we ignore the issues the dungeons have in implementation and the steadily escalating inequality they create, the idea of making an "eternal frontier" of targets to rob and exploit as an outlet for the rapacity of capitalism and the ambition of the young seems kinda sketch to me.

Sure, if you were trying a utopian project and you wanted people to stop stabbing each other, I can see where someone might think of making a bunch of unpeople that don't count so the real people can gang up on them. But I think a society built on the assumption that there need to be exploited victims propping it up is pretty messed up! Those fundamental values will bleed into other aspects of how people treat each other.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

If this is becoming a conversation about the TUTBAD editors, it's probably a good time to recommend Transistor. I think one might see some fun parallels between the Camerata there and the cabal who are trying to reprogram the world from inside in TUTBAD.

The question about whether the Editors have the moral right to do what they are doing at all has been raised within the fiction already. If I recall correctly, they do have some buy-in from local nations, but it's not as if regular people get a vote in what the world-edit cabal changes.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

“Alright,” said Mizuki one morning, once everyone had gotten most of the way through a breakfast of eggy toast and roasted tomatoes. “I know this caused a bit of a stir last time, but it’s time for us to do another ad read.”

she really wants you to know how useful this nordic VPN is for filtering ambient mana

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I might give it a shot again, if it does get an edited physical publication. I think I dropped Wandering Inn last time when Erin had abused her skeleton slave to the point where it tried to kill her. I was rooting for it to succeed, death to slavers and all that. I was not particularly enthused with either of the leads at that point, and decided to switch to something with a more likeable protagonist. A bit of editing work might easily reframe those scenes to be less alienating.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Thank you for the continual discussion of Jackal Among Snakes. I tried it twice previously, didn't find myself hooked by the end of first chapter, and switched to something else. The third time I ended up trying it after seeing something intriguing in the Web Serial Thread, though, I ended up reading 30 chapters in one sitting. The characters are much more likeable than I thought at first. It could definitely use an editor, but I'm definitely enjoying seeing where this goes.

I'm most tempted to compare it to Mother of Learning. I'm enjoying it more that late MoL, but I think that Zorian definitely started stronger. Jackal Among Snakes has a bit of a tell-don't-show problem as well, but I'm really interested to see how that might shift as the author gains more experience.

It's always a treat finding a web serial you like that has hundreds of chapters out already, and I have this thread to thank for really brightening up what was looking like a pretty dull day. Best wishes to all of you!

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Peachfart posted:

I never really liked Elaine in BtDEM, and eventually dropped it, but the story is well written and I think the author deserves every dollar she has gotten from it

Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same camp. I'm glad that BtDEM is doing well, even if I had to bail pretty early on. There's been some really interesting discussion about some of the ideas it plays with, and I like reading about the work even if I find it too frustrating to engage with it directly.

Patrick Spens posted:

Jakal Among Snakes really showcases the problem with Smart Protagonists. Because often the author isn't smart enough to have the MC run mental laps around actual people, so you just get an average dude out thinking the dumbest people alive.

The informed attribute problem definitely hits pretty hard in Jackal Among Snakes. I am deeply skeptical that the obsessive elder scrolls wiki editor who got slurped into another world is an incredible master-haggler. There's a lot of stuff he does off-camera that feels pretty implausible if he has to actually talk to people instead of picking stuff off a dialog tree.

Definitely enjoyed the ride, but it's kinda difficult to view him as a character instead of a walking plot device and excuse for the author to just write a bunch of neat fantasy stuff without having to do the work building it up ahead of time. On the other hand, I'm willing to roll with that because there is a lot of genuinely neat stuff to see, and the writer's passion for these kinds of games/worlds definitely shines through. I'm having a decent time because they seem to be having a good time also, even if I'd probably like it much more with some heavy editing work.

Larry Parrish posted:

i like plenty of serials although for some reason this thread seems to talk about the ones i think suck a lot. and i definitely do not like any of the ones that are.... idk, hoping for clicks from insane people who actually like stat sheets or whatever. you know what I mean. casting a wide net and the blurb lists genres like it's a premium sandwich at a deli

Maybe you should post more about the stuff you like, and why you think it is cool? I always welcome the chance to engage with discussion of something new or that hasn't been getting a ton of attention.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Practical Guide to Evil and Worth The Candle both explore settings where narrative is a real and dangerous force, but I don't think either quite hits the angle Lunatic Sledge is considering here... there are plenty of fantasy stories about fighting prophecy/predestination, but the most fun thing I can think of offhand is probably Dark Lord of Derkholm, which is not a web serial

EDIT: Prophecy Approved Companion is doing some very cool stuff with the game world struggling against the script

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I checked out Super Supportive after three recommendations, and twenty chapters in I am fairly happy with it. I'm frequently bored by superhero stuff, and I was reluctant to engage with it due to that, but I am getting something significantly different than what I was expecting. Multiple likeable, interesting characters, decent quality writing, and a lot more interest in cultural geography than in people punching each other and numbers going up. In fact, I don't think I have seen any fight scenes on camera. I am totally down for engaging with this the same way I would a scifi novel about space diplomacy.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I really like the friends. And hey, if Alden is smart enough to confide in them, I'm sure Boe can deduce some useful stuff from just how messed up this magic school is. Just caught up with the story, BTW, and I am extremely interested in where things go with this most recent incredibly sus space wizard. Very much hoping that Alden takes a contract offer back home and Boe points out all the dangerous loopholes Alden missed.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Wittgen posted:

It's a good point that you could describe the story as a superhero litrpg, but it's probably more accurate to describe it as a sci-fi fantasy about an alt-history where humans were colonized by aliens in the 1960s. Still, I'm rolling my eyes at the snobbery in a web serial thread

I would imagine that supply v demand is a significant contributing factor. Web serials are plentiful, and the required buy in is minimal. Why not be picky? Of course, in the Royalroad dimension snobbery can take on some truly remarkable forms. Was not expecting to see so many stories get marked down for not including enough blue menu boxes, lol

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

Gladi posted:

It is also pretty much just straight Mythos universe with PJO characters with all campers except for Percy being totally ignorant of how things "actually" work. With Percy being one of the most knowledgeable beings ever.

I've given it a look based on recommendations in this thread. Initially, the main character is pretty obnoxious. Very smug, very quippy, intense coddled one-percenter vibes. I was rolling my eyes pretty hard at the pop culture reference padding in the first chapter. Riordan's writing does a much better job of presenting likeable heroes/villains. There's also some reliance on people remembering some specific details from Lightning Thief, and an editor would probably want to clarify some of the prophecy stuff this fic glosses over.

That said, this writer is starting with a fairly interesting premise. I am three chapters in, and willing to keep reading to see where they are going. Stories about how someone with access to loads of impossible/forbidden knowledge and the consequences of how they use/share it can be very fun... but there's a risk that this protagonist will just come off as a sneering Well Actually guy. I am eager to see how this turns out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

I don't usually double post unless I think I have something worth saying. So, I'm midway through the percy Jackson fanfic mentioned earlier. I received a piece of information that recontextualized my annoyance with the protagonist being smug, overly-judgy, needlessly hyperbolic, and just very punchable in general. I still would have preferred someone else as the narrator, but the sudden reveal of him being a child/pawn of Nyarlathotep adjusted my expectations.

Still don't have a character I legit like and am rooting for yet, but if the story slows down and stops constantly introducing new characters, maybe that will change.