Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

poo poo, I accidentally caused the creation of a new thread.

Well... cool! Thanks a lot, fellows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

LLSix posted:

I think Homicidal Aliens are Invading and All I Got is This Stat Menu is a more fun take on the same idea. Still an alien invasion, but much more upbeat and light-hearted. As you can probably tell from the title.

This one's also on indefinite hiatus, unfortunately.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Bakanogami posted:

Blue Core also turned out to be surprisingly better than I expected it to be. I'm a sucker for dungeon core stuff, and this one had some neat tricks. The gimmick of the MC only really being able to communicate through one character gives it a unique dynamic, too.

Tricks is the word alright, you... you smut-peddler! I see why it's called Blue Core, huh?

Pervert.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

LLSix posted:

What's smutty about the phrase "blue core"?
'Blue,' as in, having to do with crass sexuality? Blue laws, blue language, that kinda thing. That's the joke in the series, although it's not apparent just hearing the name.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

LLSix posted:

Ok.
Blue laws aren’t really about sex, or at least, aren’t obviously so, but I see where you are going, and it makes sense to me.

Aren't they? It's the only definition I've ever heard.

It's kinda antiquated, sure, but Merriam-Webster has:

Blue:

. . .

a : profane, indecent a blue movie
b : off-color, risqué blue jokes

People say of a place with a lot of ribald talk that 'the air is practically turning blue,' that sort of thing.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Plorkyeran posted:

I've literally never heard anyone say that and have only ever heard of "blue laws" referring to alcohol sales restrictions.

Well, maybe you didn't grow up on reading material from the 40's to the 60's because it was stuff laying around your grandparent's house and stuff bought from garage sales! :colbert:

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

BadMedic posted:

Rhawrexdee = rawrXD
Lawlyhoumad = lol umad
Nhoyhou = no u
Cholondee = ;D

That latter is probably just :D, really!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

how do people live without rss

I do pretty well not knowing what RSS is or what it's for in the slightest, except I guess from context hints here that it lets you keep up with webfiction?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

tithin posted:

It's a notifier system, tells you when a new thing on a website has been published

The vast majority of websites have them, they're just not hugely popular these days. Basically lets you set up a curated feed of content that tells you when there's been an update to a website, podcast, or whatever.

Nettle Soup posted:

Most websites have an RSS feed hidden somewhere. You plug that into your feed reader app, and then every time the website updates, your reader pick it up and tells you / shows you the update when you check it, depending on how they've configured it.

It used to be a lot more popular, but then google killed the best reader app and nothing else has ever come close, really. I stopped using Feedly after it advertised me a thanksgiving discount for at least 6 months after thanksgiving...

you fools, now I can't unlearn that, I spend a lot of time remaining as ignorant as possible

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

One thing that bugs me when it shows up in writing is when someone says "I nervously bit my lip until it bled." I don't know if my lips are just made differently than other people's, but lips are very sensitive and it hurts like hell to actually bite them (much less hard enough to bleed). It's not like biting a piece of beef jerky or something.

I bite my lips/cheeks so hard they bleed like, every night, while asleep.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Neurophage posted:

featuring an abusive father who feels like a parody.

lol if you didn't encounter abuse that reads as parody, like my former-army scoutmaster who literally slammed me against the wall with his hand on my neck for blowing through a straw at the air museum, or my first girlfriend who used to slap the poo poo out of me for talking about things she didn't want to talk about, and straight-up told me it was my fault for making her upset and why did I make her do it, baby you know she has to hit me when I do things like that

never underestimate people's ability to be lovely, is what I'm saying

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

I would absolutely read I Descend Nothing (Titan Racing)

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

This link doesn't work, which is a shame since you say it's probably the best one. Or, rather, it leads to a login screen, and I don't intend to create an account anytime soon.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

I thought about making an Old Man Yells At Cloud post about it, but yeah, what we call CYOAs, collaborative storytelling on the forums, are called quests on the majority of forums. I'm of two minds about it; quests were originally the art-based things, usually with parser inputs (like Homestuck), and it seems like the phrase mutated awfully fast, but on the other hand Choose Your Own Adventures are... rather different from the forum CYOAs, so it's not like it's any more inaccurate.

Newfork posted:

There's a section of Sufficient Velocity that is deliberately only available to logged in users, and that's where this was posted.

Well, drat.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

LLSix posted:

Millennial Mage: Maybe Lynn’s motive is much simpler than weave been thinking. Lynn is Holly’s friend. Maybe she introduced Tala to Holly as a favor for Holly. She even says that she knew Holly would be very interested in Tala’s inscriptions.

People can do things for more than one reason! And I think that's probably what happened in this case.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

nrook posted:

Despite its atrocious name, Ave Xia Rem Y is definitely my favorite Western cultivation web serial. It’s exciting, it’s interesting, the protagonist is easy to root for, and the writing is good enough that I never notice it being bad, which is more than I can say for many other series I like.

What’s with all the healers in web serials, though? It’s definitely a trend, at least. I know Azarinth Healer is super popular; are there just a lot of readers who went looking for similar themes and helped support other stories with protagonists who spent their time curing diseases or helping with injuries?

I read some of Azarinth Healer! Nobody who read it would look for stories about people who spend time curing people for 'similar themes,' because despite the name Azarinth Healer is about a martial arts berserker who spends huge amounts of time ripping apart dragons in the wilderness to grind XP -she only heals herself.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

In fairness, Beware of Chicken could probably make a super-wholesome harem story.

...I guess if it's wholesome it's not a harem, huh? Multiple partners.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Narmi posted:

It's pretty messed up to call someone a pedophile because you don't get satire.

Also the MC lays down the law that kids aren't for sex in any way. It's like the first thing she does. The story is the exact opposite of CSA pedo-marketing

Hey, they didn't call anyone a pedophile, they just said "wow, that's some pedo poo poo, to the extent that you in thread sure are [i] suspicious [i/]," but did not actually state what they were suspicious of, and that's all it takes to skirt around the rules against calling other posters pedophiles, which ofc were established because it became bizarrely common

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Re: Metropolitan Man:

I think the most generous possible interpretation of Lex's beliefs* is that he sat down and calculated maybe a ten,, fifteen percent chance of Superman killing most or all life on Earth, and then decided that one person's life wasn't worth the risk. Which is a conclusion I can agree with, mathematically**, but it's a decision based on mathematics and it's possible to affect those odds. In this case, a significant portion of the actual risk, and most of the calculatable portion, is from Superman becoming stressed, or despairing, or otherwise mentally unstable, so you should definitely not make those things more likely. By supporting Superman, you could make his life better and easier, and by extension save many lives at a much more efficient cost proposition than many other causes - giving Superman HQ and organizational support, for example, would be a very good charity up to a point. Even if Superman gave up heroing, just say "Fine, dude, just practice self-care and have a good time" so that he doesn't destroy the planet because of frustration or sadness or whatever.

*a practice which is called steelmanning, appropriately enough

**A common argument here is that the calculations are going to be divorced in some degree from the 'actual' numbers because we're talking about some pretty vague stuff; the natural counterargument is that of course they are, but a few days spent legitimately looking at sources and thinking heavily is going to turn out a more accurate answer than a casual feeling you got in a few seconds. The trick, of course, is asking the right question.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Dikkfor posted:

Speaking of, I've been enjoying Industrial Strength Magic https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/57011/industrial-strength-magic

Macronomicon's take on superheroes. It much more of an easy read than his past works.

This guy's name is Perry Zauberer

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Look, Saunders, you could just tell us directly rather than post a screenshot.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Selkie Myth posted:

My personal take on OP protagonists - the System is what's allowing the protagonist to be OP. Everyone* has a System.

Everyone should be munchkining the gently caress out of their build.

As long as the protagonist is OP in their arena, and they frequently encounter people OP in their chosen discipline (who are relevant... 'civilians' are allowed to have average lives), then it all makes sense and there's no SOD.

It's when "New person to the System figures out something these hundreds of millions of people never have" where I go "yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaah right."

Rain from Delve IMO is a good example of the second, where he somehow manages to figure out all this stuff on his own, with nobody else having worked it out...?

I have a specific pet peeve where cheap litRPGs have the main character acquire or level the Analyze (etc.) skill, and everybody acts like it's unheard-of to do so because it's worthless garbage, doesn't even deal any damage, etc

I've seen it like twelve times and it's so bad

I think Delve isn't 100% an example of the issue you're complaining about, though - it's not because his auras-based build is supposedly such a wild and crazy idea that nobody's ever thought of it before, but just that the culture around doesn't have a lot of deviation from the norm. I haven't read Delve in a long time, so I might be wrong here about details, but IIRC a lot of the stuff with his weirdo build is stuff he discusses with others, and they're like "yeah, I guess you could do that, but then you'd run into [problems go here]," and he doesn't care about some of the problems (because they're about expectations and standard forms of combat, and he doesn't buy into a lot of the cultural norms) or he just, like, accepts that those things are problems, and has those problems.

In Dragoneye Moons the system is super flexible and people get their own custom basically-anything, there's people who are like level 2000 [Bookbinders] and most of their skills are specifically about binding books in fantastical ways, or level 2500 [Constant Friend]/[Sidekick]/[Dueteragonists] who specialize in hanging out with up-and-coming heroes and bringing them to greater heights, or level 3000 [Van Wilders] who've just stayed at school for a thousand years and all their skills are about partying and mooching, but the system in Delve is WAY more restrictive, and (partially as a consequence, partially as just a general difference) the culture is not nearly as broad. It's less "nobody, out of hundreds of millions of people, ever thought of this before!" and more "The people in this country find that these options do not fit their needs and so further options in that vein haven't been adequately explored."

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think something like this will end up being the case (or at least I hope something like that isn't the case, because "they secretly are trying to sacrifice client races to demons!" would be a lame twist). I think it's more just the case that they passively deny knowledge just because they wouldn't gain from making it available (and not even very strictly, since the System will be aware of Joe teaching Alden deeper stuff and won't care).

There's probably nothing "sinister" in that sort of way going on. It's probably more like modern real-life imperialism where the nation (or race/planets in this case) just enters into exploitative agreements with a (sometimes) implicit threat of force behind it. And many/most Artonans probably view this arrangement as good for the client races, similar to real-life opinions on corporations using cheap labor in poorer countries. Except it's probably even more subtle/abstract in the case of the Artonans, since there seems to be some metaphysical limit on directly screwing people over.

I think that "demon fodder" was less "they are sacrificing them to demons" and more "they are summoning the humans to do difficult or menial tasks"

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Onean posted:

Anything interesting that's popped up in here this past year, aside from SS that everyone's already taking about?

Also big in the last handful of pages: Time to Orbit: Unknown! Fella wakes up out of cryosleep on a busted generation ship, has to keep everything running and survive.

https://derinstories.com/2022/06/04/001-the-problem-with-the-javelin-program/

Edit: Also I personally really like Apparatus of Change, which doesn't get a lot of play around here. Might be described as a Dungeon Core story, but... that'd be wrong, because it contains all the trappings of the genre, while being totally different in tone, goals, etc.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/57115/apparatus-of-change/chapter/960008/chapter-001

John Lee fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 24, 2023

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A big flaming stink posted:

Minor correction, but we don't actually know explicitly what Aspen's gender ID is, it's probably some flavor of non-binary

Aspen IS non-binary, or some future equivalent - I don't think 'fellow' (fella) is explicitly gendered, is it? Seems a bit rude to limit being, like, an equal or companion to one gender, but that's the only thing I can think of that you might be referring to.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

haha but really is 'fellow' masculine because if so there's somebody I need to apologize to

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah, all three of those have, like, an actual setting and almost certainly an actual plot, i.e. something that's inside the box. Now, you can disagree and say "no, clearly those are all just faking it and stringing the readers along," but, having seen a lot of the latter, none of the former feel like that at all to me.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Patrick Spens posted:

Really don't understand the obvious desire people have for no one to read stories they don't like.

but bro if you like those stories you're wrong

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Man, I really love the whole "we're in a story and we totally realize it" aspect of "A Practical Guide to Evil". Stuff like explictily calling out the rule-of-three and planning around how to thwart the author's intent or stuff like this in vol 3:

That could get annoying, but luckily (minor spoilers for motivations revealed a few chapters from then) that guy can be manipulated so easily in particular because he's a fey, who are more-than-usually bound to the rules of story

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Wait, wait, I'm confused after the past couple days of discourse, am I allowed to like Super Supportive or not? It sounds like it's either high quality and uses narrative tools well or sucks rear end and and stupid and boring

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Almost everybody in this thread for a couple years talks entirely about how Worm sucks rear end, is a big pile of poo poo, and the author is a stupid probably-Nazi, and now like eight people say it's good?

I don't know what I'm allowed to like

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Bremen posted:

I don't remember any solid evidence Wildbow is a Nazi though. He seems to possibly hate people in general, but I don't think he has particular ire for any specific ethnic groups.

Yeah, it was somebody going "Wow, there's not a lot of effort put into realistic gang behavior, but the structure of the Neo-Nazi gang sure is accurate

suspiciously accurate, if you ask me

where did Wildbow come by such detailed knowledge of how Nazis operate? who can say"

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Fajita Queen posted:

:psyduck:

It... really is not, lol

absolutely nothing about any of the gangs are realistic, but I also don't really think it matters if they are or not because that's not the kind of story Worm is trying to tell

The Fallen in Ward, on the other hand, are informed pretty heavily by how cults work in real life because he did the research, probably at least partially because of how much flak he got for the gangs in Worm being such a mess.

I'll allow a lot of leeway on gang structure in Worm, since like 70% of the population of the planet is dead and power can be and is directly enforced by the insane personal power of individuals, both of which are gonna dramatically change organizational structures

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Not really. Number Man gives a population number for Earth Bet in 2011 that's basically the same as the population number for our Earth in 2011 (edit: it's a difference of 1%.) The dystopian, apocalyptic elements of Earth Bet's culture and society are drastically overstated by the Worm fandom.

Sorry I can't be more specific, because I'm not gonna read through Worm again right now to find out, but I recall running into something quite a ways into Worm that made me memorably go "holy poo poo that's a lot of dead people globally, dunno if that counts as a twist but what a way to bury the lead"

Of course,one or the other of these could have been some kind of mistake!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Omi no Kami posted:

I've always felt that the serial space does a great disservice to its writers. Between the patreon stuff, the weird parasocial nonsense, and the insane amount of antagonism everyone involved directs towards negative feedback, it feels like authors get trapped in a world where their first attempt at writing receives nonstop validation.

I know how much of a dick I sound like saying this, but I really think that being told your best effort sucks rear end is a key formative experience for every writer. The way it's intended to work is that you write a thing, seek C&C, get told it sucks, write a slightly less sucky thing, and so on until you start to get a really solid feel for what works.

I used to think that all it took to get decent at writing was to churn out 500,000-1,000,000 bad words, but I think I was underestimating how vital feedback is to that process. Because RRL's thing (and Wildbow's thing) have resulted in authors outputting millions upon millions of words, and still writing like a seventh grader trying their hand at fanfic for the first time.

It's so frustrating to see writers who I think could refine their craft and make something genuinely awesome get stuck in the serial mines. But on the flip side they often make way more via crowdfunding than most published authors get from quality work product, so who am I to gripe?

See, first off, the discourse around webfiction seems much MORE negative to me than around other books - see

Velius posted:

the Patreon is just full of comments about exponential growth curves of character strength and why isn’t the MC even more powerful?! Ugh.

Like, there's a massive contingent of people talking poo poo about every part of every webfiction.

And, personally, I think constructive criticism CAN be helpful, but all too often it turns into hearing that people don't want what you actually liked about your work - there's a ton of posts in this very thread about how most webfiction kinda sucks because it's incredibly long and drawn-out, and Proper Writing Technique says to plot like you're making a movie, tight and efficient. But if somebody want to write something long and drawn-out, and somebody else wants to read it, then they are writing correctly, full stop. Plenty of webfiction I like wouldn't exist if the author was told they were writing wrong because it doesn't fit the common conception of the correct way to write.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That's a bad argument. A lot of really lovely reality tv is popular. It doesn't mean its good, just that some people have really poo poo taste. There is also the whole continuing to consume a work just due to momentum even if it no longer has much appeal.

Can you really claim a work that has a bunch of subplots that go nowhere as good writing? You might enjoy it moment to moment, but ultimately its a disposable work that will be forgotten as soon as its usually awkwardly finished or straight up abandoned.

A lot of the time criticism comes from frustration that there is a barrier to enjoyment. Sometimes its wrong, but criticism is absolutely essential for an author to grow. There are many instances of extremely popular writers using that popularity to get complete creative control, and their works turns to poo poo because of it.

"Sure, maybe the AUTHOR likes it, and the READERS like it, but popular things aren't necessarily good :cool:"

Like, sorry if I'm being overly obvious, but: There are plenty of works in every media sphere that simply do nothing for me, and I really see them as worthless... to me. But the exact opposite thing has happened, where a work is meaningful to me and other people say that it's obviously garbage for idiots, because people are different and find different things valuable. It's a mistake to say that things you see as poorly crafted and/or having no meaningful message are Bad and shouldn't exist - at the very least, the reading audience could simply have not encountered the ideas present before, because they're not big readers/thinkers or they're just kids.

You say that it happens all the time that writers get creative control and then their writing is RUINED because they get to write what and how they want (many such cases! :chaostrump:), but, uh, I bet they don't feel that way.
"Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's good!" is exactly what you said up there, but when it's about a writer writing whatever they actually want, but (implicitly) losing some audience because of it, suddenly the popular opinion IS the mark of quality? Either making your work more popular by hewing closer to the median popularity of pacing, plotting, story type, etc. is bad or it's good or it's neither, but TBH it sounds like you're saying "It's bad when it's stuff that, in those changes, got farther from my personal tastes, but good when it produces stuff I like."

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Jazerus posted:

nobody is clamoring for stories with persistent spelling errors,

oh yeah? explain Homestuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

awesmoe posted:

They didn't get to choose the priority of rescue - like, the people of anesidora's votes don't affect who gets saved in an emergency. Human decisions got trumped by artonan values.

In fairness, humans are really bad at preserving their own values, especially but not limited to in times of crisis