Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absum
May 28, 2013

That that's closer to what the story is about yeah. The Tower part is just an intro and pretty short IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absum
May 28, 2013

I think Ryoka's parents were both Japanese immigrants but I don't recall for sure.

Anyway I do think I need to say I dropped the series in part because of her. Yeah it's treated as a character flaw, but imo she'd barely changed when I dropped it and at that point I'd gotten quite sick of the way her chapters are narrated. I think that catching up and having to read serially played a part in making her more annoying to me and on her own she wouldn't have caused me to drop the series but her chapters are still what pushed me over the edge.

I might pick it back up again in the future when there are lots of chapters to read but right now I'd rather do nothing at all than read a Ryoka chapter.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I guess I'll have to restart Twig some time soon, not sure if I should read it from the start or not, Wildbow's stuff is ok but I find it pretty exhausting. Maybe it'd be better read serially but I always stopped myself from catching up, although that was also partially cause I kept needing breaks.

Mostly unrelated but maybe not entirely, can anyone recommend me something fluffy. I don't even know what people are gonna come up with (if anything) but I feel like trying to read whatever you think fits.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I've been following something sorta like this that was written using a Xianxia setting ("Forge of Destiny" it's called), and apparently stories where readers select actions and the writer rolls dice behind the scenes to determine the results of those actions/combat are A Thing and called "quests." It works remarkably better than I'd expect, though I think that relies pretty heavily on the writer being good. I think a key thing to making the idea work is for the writer to have a clear idea of all the characters involved, their motivations, and the major events that will occur during the course of the story. That allows them to realisticly figure out what would happen if the protagonist chooses to do various things. The randomness caused by the dice rolling actually makes for some pretty interesting fights and events.

I recommend the story I mentioned, because the writer is very good at giving every single character their own unique motivations that don't revolve around the protagonist. Most of the characters have their own goals that they pursue independently of the protagonist's actions, and it's honestly pretty remarkable that the writer can keep track of everything. The writer is also really good at coming up with unique and interesting combat abilities; every single art that the various characters use has a very distinct feel to it. Due to the frequency of updates random grammar/syntax errors aren't uncommon, but the strengths greatly outweigh the weaknesses IMO.

The quest stuff on SV is pretty similar to the CYOA's we have on this forum from what little I've seen from both.

FoD is kinda weird cause I do like it and I suspect the game system actually plays a part in making sure that the other characters always have their own stuff going on but it's also resulted in there only ever being very few plans to vote on cause you need to maths an entire week of optimal pill and action combos if you want to make your own vote.

e: FoD is actually pretty unique in how many characters were introduced immediately at the start and how almost all characters keep returning, most cyoa's have a bunch less I feel? It definitely does a good job of creating a believably alive world imo.

Absum fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 29, 2017

Absum
May 28, 2013

Oh I guess I should mention that if anyone prefers finished stuff, Void Domain recently ended.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Xun posted:

The problem is that the guy who was literally JUST chewing her out for being airheaded and thoughtless and knew her for 5 minutes is now.....happily supporting her new crraaaazzzyyy plan of introducing the concept of disaster relief to the world that has no plans other than LETS DO THIS LM<AO. My problem with the play isn't because it's a huge success its just the...ridiculousness of it. A society that advanced and has existed for thousands of years has yet to invent the concept of a goddamn play? The art form that has existed since at LEAST ancient roman times? It just really causes a major eyeroll reaction from me. Not to mention how Shakespeare's stories are portrayed as these super serious and literary experiences but I can't really blame the author for that one. At least Ryoka is a Mary Sue that gets lip service to having setback, sure they don't seem to actually affect much but it's something. It feels like Erin is the author self insert so nothing bad can happen because of her ever.

I never even got the where you are at but this is the thing with almost everything modern that's used and it's something I severely dislike in isekai. Hamburgers and modern music really are not that special and tbh neither are the poems or god forbid the superhero comics Ryoka tells the fairies about.

e: I think one other thing had the epic invention of advertising and they also almost always do crossbows and guns as if some random nerd would know anything useful about those.

e2: also crop rotation and fertilizer

Absum fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 16, 2017

Absum
May 28, 2013

My experience is that most webserial authors will appreciate criticism. I guess it does depend on how you phrase it and I won't guarantee they'll agree obviously but most of them actively want to improve their writing and criticism is helpful for that.

Although if you post your criticism in the comments you probably do have a good chance at getting dogpiled by fans?

Absum
May 28, 2013

I'm curious, how exactly would you want Kaede to "deal" with their sex change? I mean the genderbend part of the story is one of the weaker parts but that's kinda what happens when someone decides to turn a short gag story into a full project. Apart from that though it's not "fantasy" bipolar, Sylviane is just bipolar and Kaede letting everyone walk all over them is probably their number one in-story flaw. I personally don't really mind one character in a multiple viewpoint story being more passive (though I also suspect Kaede being more of an observer is actually intended and never fully going away).

If I were to criticize the story I'd probably focus more on the way Sylviane treats Kaede and the Stockholm syndrome Kaede seems to be suffering from because both of those are rather unsettling to me.

Absum
May 28, 2013

There is a "Art, Maps and Other" button at the top of every page.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I never got the impression that Orcs had huge numbers or were fast breeders or anything. Really I actually got the impression their population was slowly shrinking over the centuries (due to being used as cannon fodder mostly, but still). I

If they did have high population growth I feel like that has more to do with them being used as cannon fodder for centuries. As in, they'd essentially get culled leading to a food surplus and a big growth surge to compensate and then the Praesi cull them again when the population starts to stabilize (or before it collapses or forces expansion, depending on available food n stuff).

Absum
May 28, 2013

I also doubt that original Zorian was still really alive at that point. Even timeloop Zorian was losing his mind after I dunno let's say 10 minutes without a body, I imagine that somebody with no soul magic at all would lose their mind and mana control way faster. I don't know that timeloop Zorian could create a body for the soul quick enough either, I imagine that if a simulacrum would do he'd have used that? I think they talked about what happens to a soul without a body in one of the earlier chapters but I don't remember.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Wouldn't this depend on where the Primordial dumps Silverlake? She may very well have to fight herself first, no? It also depends on if she even knows where Zorian lives. The Primordial could tell her but I don't think he'd think of that tbh.

Absum
May 28, 2013

I felt Ryoka took way too long to learn (I had other issues with her chapters as well but they weren't really about her). It was around the introduction of Laken that I dropped TWI iirc, and while Ryoka was certainly not the only reason it was still during one of her chapters that I got so fed up with the way she thought about people (specifically when she befriended some fairy) that I just gave up on the story.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

PracGuide: I'm genuinely curious how Black's goals will be in conflict with Catherine's. I can't think of how this would be the case. I guess it's possible that he's opposed to helping the West for some reason?
I'm pretty sure Black intends to destroy the Tower rather than become Emperor. See "If the song refused to leave him, then he would silence it." and more recently "I would like every last drop of goblinfire in possession of the Tribes." Catherine may not need an Emperor/Empress per se, but she's definitely going for one and probably still would if Black talked to her about this because it's a safer and easier way of getting those mages she needs.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Hmm, so on PgtE I'm thinking the Tower (the institution and the building) is going to fall, with Akua probably ending up in charge of Praes afterwards but only in the epilogue. For the west, I'm actually hoping the Warden of the West goes to Rozala. She has her oath to the Levant and only thinks of beating the Dead King, while the conflict between the First Prince and the White Knight is slowly escalating and getting less reasonable, which makes for a terrible Warden story given they're in the middle of fighting the Dead King. Just escalate it a bit more and impede the war and have Rozala tell them to gently caress off and the Name's hers. I don't actually expect that to happen atm given the POV's we got, but it'd be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absum
May 28, 2013

I mostly ignore stubbed stuff. There have been some I would have been willing to pay the (usually quite low) cost for. Except I want to avoid paying Amazon as much as possible and I don't understand e-readers so F.