Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I actually stopped reading Worm because I got sick of Taylor being terrible(and also things escalating and escalating etc for forever).
TWI does a much better job of taking a breather between the crazyness imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

A big flaming stink posted:

rekt

TWI Patreon: gently caress it's a Ryoka chapter.

OH gently caress it's a good Ryoka chapter!

Ryoka is the only character in TWI that I truly dislike, so consider me skeptical.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Argue posted:

Yeah, Ryoka's antagonistic behavior has consequences--multiple times--so I don't see much of a problem as far as Mary Sue-ing goes. She definitely does not have the quality where everyone adores her no matter what she does, which is pretty much the defining trait of the trope. Heck, the reason she's not around is because she was effectively banished after everyone she knew told her quite politely that they needed a break from seeing her face because of her connection to the last thing that menaced Liscor.

Also, frankly, every character is more or less a Mary Sue in their own POV chapters, from Erin to Rags to Selys and even Laken. Other chapters make pretty clear how characters see each other, and only Erin is actually beloved by everyone--and I like Erin! Because she's nice!

To me, I disliked how Ryoka would always be mad/emo about everything and everyone all the time. I'm glad that seems to be changing, but I think I will need a few more 'Ryoka stops acting like Emo Superman' chapters to flush those opinions out.
And Erin is the GOAT, even with the slightly darker turn she has taken recently.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I have been reading through Prac recently and the author desperately needs a grammar checker. The latest chapters don't even look spell checked. Nothing takes me out of the story faster than having to reread a sentence multiple times so I can comprehend the intent of the author.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lurksion posted:

I'm not bothered by PracGuide's lack of editing, but occasionally I'm confused by how the the hell you manage to turn th into f
t...maybe? but t and then h?

Anyway, looks like the remainder of the book will be some interesting politicking

As far as I can tell, the author just runs a quick spell check without checking the context of the sentence/paragraph. This causes a ton of weird word substitutions.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Lone Goat posted:

TWI Patreon oh boy a laken arc and he's not even there

This was probably the most boring TWI chapter I have read in months.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Out of the 6-7 Web Serials I have read, TWI has been my favorite by far. The only one I grew to hate was Worm. I eventually just stopped reading it near the end.
But I love TWI's characters, which is the most important part of the story. Most other serials will just go 'Okay, time skip to the next part where stuff happens', which makes it feel fake.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Shortest Path posted:

I've taken a pretty long hiatus from both Prac Guide and TWI and I'm gonna go back in by starting from the beginning again, but I can't decide which to read first. :ohdear:

TWI is the best, and I am thinking of re reading the whole thing again on my vacation.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI: (((RENT CONTROL)))

I love when it is pointed out that the new council is filled with working class people and not rich assholes, something the previous council didn't notice. Oh, and Erin deserves to be paying those taxes.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI: Overall my favorite line was: 'The Council’s modus operandi had been ‘don’t fix what isn’t broken’, or perhaps, ‘if it still sort of works, let’s just not bother fixing it.’ And it had worked. So the people inside the room were a bit peeved that no one seemed to appreciate the hard work they hadn’t done.'

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

I still enjoy Ward and think it's better than the vast majority of web novels/serials, including Wandering Inn. The flaws people mention about it are definitely true, but the characters in his stuff are way better than the ones in most of these other stories and I find more than a handful of them fairly compelling and interesting. Wildbow is pretty good at writing characters, even if his broader plotting has issues.

Wow, that is like the total opposite of what I believe. Ward is the only web novel I put down in disgust, as it was repetitive and painfully poorly written.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Omi no Kami posted:

Somebody fed Worm through a neural network and uploaded a thing where you can have it write you new Worm stories at https://iforcedabot.com/scenes-that-never-happened-in-the-the-web-serial-worm#269 , and it's scarily good at imitating Wildbow's odder writing habits.

Oh God, I'm getting flashbacks of trying to push past this garbage.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I just became a Patreon subscriber for TWI. I love the stories and I can't stand being behind anymore. Also pirateaba deserves the cash.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

Wandering Inn doesn't feel very anime to me; it's premise might be an isekai one, but its general writing is very western nerd/YA in feel. I've mentioned before not liking it, though. It's not so much that it's particularly bad on its own, but its huge popularity completely baffles me.

It is popular because it is relatively well written and all the characters are interesting and have unique voices. So so so many terrible writers are unable to write people differently enough so that you can easily tell them apart.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

That chapter was super creepy and made me incredibly wary about the story going forward for a bit. Luckily pirateaba has resisted anymore chapters like that.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

It wasn't really a giant deal, I just had been enjoying the story up to that point and didn't want the good story I was reading to be afflicted with the same super horny internet posting that exists everywhere else. It didn't, so it wasn't a big deal.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Anias posted:

I’ve said before but it bears repeating, wildbow is a misery writer. He writes what he knows and that is apparently soul crushing depression and power fantasy that ends in even darker soul eating depression.

Yeah, other than his writing style, which I hated, the fact that everything was so repetitive and miserable is probably what pushed me away.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI 6.65 patreon: jesus christ everyone's hosed

Well, everything sure went sideways fast.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

And people say nothing happens in TWI, bullshit.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I too am now above fun.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I voted for Pebblesnatch and the gun one.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The latest Patreon TWI was okay. Kinda boring, and a bit confusing. So there is this scene where Lyonette sees herself in the door/scrying orb, but I thought the door was now in a protected hallway outside of the main inn, according to the previous chapter.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Btw, if you never watched Groundhog Day, you are missing out. One of Bill Murray's best.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Kalas posted:

TWI 7.03:

When Ksmvr asked, it was really funny all things considered.

When Bird asks the question, in Pallas, with the entire world watching..... the entire world collectively shits itself.

This chapter was great, especially the end.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

MoL is a power fantasy that went through the insanity ceiling. About halfway though you can tell the author finally noticed that Zorian had become a God in roughly 10 years of time. He starts wrapping things up but in a DBZ-like sense it is too late and now Zorian can do anything he wants and it gets awkward.

It is a good story, but you can really tell the author let the plot get away from them.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 13, 2020

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

PoorWeather posted:

Hey web serial megathread, I wanted to ask you guys something. I've been making on-and-off attempts to try and get off the ground with a serial since like, 2016, and have tried a dozen different ideas at different levels of cynicism about the audience - I made a couple attempts serious mystery, a couple of short-lived attempts at a LitRPG and fantasy, and and currently posting something that's kinda messy middle ground. However, no matter how I seem to approach, they never been to get off the ground very well, and my readership tapers off to being very low after 6-10 updates. This had become super frustrating to me, since it's a format that I really have fun with, and no one who I try and get to read them really gives me negative feedback other than petty stuff.

So I wanted to ask - though this kinda a goofy question - what are some of the unifying factors really get you invested in a serial and make you stay with it? I've read most of the popular ones like Wildbows work, MoL, PGtE, and a whole bunch of stuff on royalroad, but even after all this time I still don't feel like I fully grasp what I'm missing that hooks people? General thoughts on what you read serials for would help too, I think.

A situation or scenario that grabs me and holds me during the exposition.(Don't make anymore leveling or superhero stories, there are a billion of them and you will blend into the background)
Strong characters that each have their own voice, and avoid Mary Sueisms. Grammar is more important than you think, I hate being pulled out of a story when I don't understand what the author is saying.

But then again I love TWI so what do I know about good stories?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI Patreon 7.09 JESUS loving CHRIST

that city was goddamn horrifying.

the outworlders got I have no mouth and I miss scream'd :stonk:

also the great old one totally isn't dead and lives on through the inhabitants

Came here to post this, holy poo poo, gently caress that whole place.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So, just wondering, but why are 99% of these stories about real life leveling or superheroes?
You'd think a horror or mystery or SciFi or even just a different type of fantasy story would also work as a web serial.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

He is very obviously doing it as a 'she has a thing for Jason so she hits him'. You are all way over thinking it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

.Z. posted:

TWI Patreon: Ants Ants Revolution

The poison of freedom

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I am also enjoying Erin slowly realizing how all of her 'harmless' Earth knowledge is actually changing things, and her getting increasingly nervous about it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI Patreon:

MATING

RITUALS

PART 2

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

seriously though that entire chapter was a loving emotional rollercoaster. erin helping menolit not be an abusive rear end in a top hat was a real :unsmith: moment. the entire watch being incredibly broken up about klbkch having no genitalia was loving hilarious.

also Ryoka is officially canon as being queer! also canon as being a huge fuckup that's terrified of relationships!

also Erin might be queer too! unfortunately she's going through some hella typical queer angst about it :smith: :smith: For as many notes this chapter hit the last part was a real gutpunch

It was the rare story with sex that didn't feel like the author was getting off on it, I actually enjoyed it.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Horizon Burning posted:

It doesn't. Ward flat out sucks.

Anias posted:

If true, this is the best reason to not read wildbow the thread can offer.

Wildbow’s best isn’t great.

Truth.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Kalas posted:

At this point I take happy chapters to mean we aren't losing any more poor goblins or random gnoll knights. This explains so much about Saliss though. .

It was a great chapter that explains a lot and was also pretty depressing, but sometimes life is depressing.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

TWI is great.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The most recent war the King of Destruction is involved in shows the flaw in his thinking. He started this war for a very good reason, to avenge his people that were slaughtered while no one helped them. But then he went way too far and wanted to murder the entire upper eschalon of that country, which was way too far. Troy sees this, and I think Teres is starting to understand.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

asur posted:

KQ
Troy appears to have completely swung in the opposite direction which may be interesting if it corresponds to a change in Teresa views.

Troy is going through major grief and PTSD issues over crazy Chuthllu land, he will do whatever Flos wants if Flos will take revenge.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

That seems like an absurd word to complain about but :shrug:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I'm not here to judge which words are and are not slurs. But it is just a bit of an overreaction imo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The Shortest Path posted:

What the gently caress is happening in this thread

I dunno, that could literally be from some of the more terrible LitRPGs out there.