Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I've been reading The Wandering Inn to kill time in unemployment, I'm most of the way through book 5 now, they've fought the raskghar and saved Mrsha and spent two chapters on baseball and now it's back to the goblin plot and I have honestly never cared less about plot, go back to baseball.

That actually is a really good example of what I love about Wandering Inn: Yeah there's a huge fight, and we save the day and kill some monsters, but also, we're going to gently caress around and play baseball for a couple of chapters. Plot can wait. Let's chill and have fun with our friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

Is it about a crab that fights, or is it about someone that fights crabs? Or both??

This is very important.

quote:

A man wakes up in an unknown, fantastical world with blue screens, levels, classes, and absolutely no idea of who he is. Did I mention giant crabs? Worst of all, a series of unfortunate circumstances lead to him adopting an... uncomfortable... name.

In his struggle to survive, he will fight his way through crab dens, forests, towns, and sewers. He will befriend barbaric orcs and smug outcasts, sneakily sneak into the enemy's heart of operations, fight against monsters and stand for what is right. Besides, if he just so happens to amusingly and quite epically turn the world on its head while doing so... Eh, it happens.

But all that is only provided he survives his first day in the world of Peras. Will he live and thrive, enjoying an epic lifetime of razor-sharp adventure and manly brotherhood? Or will he be turned into crab food on the very first day of his existence?

And what's a modern-day sailor doing there?!

This sounds pretty bad.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Never heard of this, thank you!

If you do this, watch out for volume 7. She started posting fan art at the end of chapters and I didn't realize it until suddenly I had an 800mb epub.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Neurophage posted:

I started reading The Wandering Inn recently and I'm now about halfway through volume 1.

a)I don't have very high standards for web novel prose but this:

is terrible. And the dialogue is so full of pointless padding:

b)It's hard to say anything about the story itself, because very little has happened after about 100k words. Wildbow feels tightly edited compared to this.

c)Rape goblins

Does it get any better, or should I stop now?

Unrelated to the Wandering Inn, I recently finished Book 1 of Into the Mire, which was very good and the length of a normal novel. Are there any more web novels like it?

It gets better once the cast is massive and it's willing to spend time on them just loving around doing nothing. There's a couple chapters about Erin teaching her friends to play baseball that are two of the best chapters in the story up to that point. Nothing happens in them. They just play baseball.

All of the best chapters are like that.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

LLSix posted:

First four books of Mage Errant are free.

Stumbled across the author's reddit post while looking for something new to read so no idea if they're any good.

Wish people wouldnt refer to kindle unlimited as "giving away", a term which implies you own the thing now.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Also in twi it's canon that at least some of Erin's being dumb is an act because it's easier for her to get away with poo poo if everyone just thinks she's some dipshit lunatic human, which is kind of great.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

The Shortest Path posted:

All of those things end up having severe consequences, most of them near-imminently, to be fair. But yeah I can see why it would get extremely frustrating to see stuff like that keep happening and the book being so long that you aren't reasonably gonna see the payoffs until hundreds of thousands of words later.

The bit with Pawn hasn't, yet, as far as I've gotten in book 7, but that also very much feels like an endgame-type setup, since the world's relationship to its gods is never really explained beyond "thank gently caress they're dead."

Jazerus posted:

the thing about latter-day TWI is that there are not really protagonists. erin still receives an above-average share of time, but other than that it is purely ensemble cast; i would absolutely not call ryoka a "protagonist" any more than say, ceria or pisces. and for the people who dislike laken, he's frankly barely even a presence at all; i think a lot of people were put off by his chapters. if erin's personality is the problem, then i think TWI isn't going to work for a reader; but most of the other problems i see people mention really and truly do fade away, and i think erin does mature quite a bit as the books go on fwiw.

as for toren; they're still bumping around and might yet get another shot at killing erin

anyway if TWI doesn't work for you, that's absolutely fair; asking someone to read several books they don't like to get to ones that they might like is a tall order

Laken sucks so much, literally just the protagonist of a way shittier isekai.

Josh Christ fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 28, 2021

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

OscarDiggs posted:

It's okay. We shouldn't expect object permanence from someone so busy despising the fact gay people exist.

This seems like an overreaction to someone being a garden variety rear end in a top hat.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes I read big long fantasy series because I want to read an epic tale of struggles against god

Sometimes I do it because I want to read about an ant man threatening to murder a bunch of cops, wandering inn is great

Edit: following up the adventures of giant ant in celum with a D chapter is a crime. The doctor sucks.

Josh Christ fucked around with this message at 09:28 on May 7, 2021

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I really just don't care about her or the UN or any of it, it's the least interesting story at all. At least Laken you got to watch some fumbling as he learned to actually be in charge and he was at least somewhat close to the main cast, her story is so removed in plot and location that I just don't care.

You might be thinking josh what about the clown crew, since they're so far away, clown rules that's what.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing that can stop a gigantic dullahan: children

The students need their own chapter letter thing, because this is way better than I had hoped.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Olesm getting what amounts to "why do you have to put politics into it" feedback on his chess newsletter is possibly the funniest thing to ever happen in TWI

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
You, a bad taste idiot: I don't want to read about local politics in my fantasy

Me, cultured, a genius: I'm more invested in the shake ups on the liscor city council than in my own hell world politics

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Josh Christ posted:

Olesm getting what amounts to "why do you have to put politics into it" feedback on his chess newsletter is possibly the funniest thing to ever happen in TWI

This has been replaced by Lism doing a "I said it with the soft a" argument

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Affi posted:

I truly believe that twi has too many plotlines and characters right now. Trim the fat Pirateaba. Trim it. Kill people.

I mean a lot of it is loving interesting but it's happening in parallel to other interesting things.
Nothing gets the spotlight or gets resolved properly.

I was talking about this with a friend and I genuinely enjoy the fact that there's definitely an endgame that the book is getting to but it's in no hurry and would rather spend some time loving around with Ant Colton Burpo and local politics.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Larry Parrish posted:

the point of it is to be a slice of life

I realized last night I enjoyed this much more than a wildbow esque story where every arc is clearly moving the larger plot towards the conclusion

Not counting cultivation stories, I love that poo poo

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Affi posted:

The meeting of tribes was hyped up for a real-time year of writing and so far its delivered nothing and is just existing in the background because there's poo poo going on concurrently everywhere.

Longe than that, if gets set up all the way back in...volume 2? When lyonette burns the shop down and ryoka does the run for teriarch to get the book.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

catgirlgenius posted:

It might be in the running for best self-contained chapter, imo. It really was extremely good.

That's definitely the combination campaign rally and invention of weightlifting.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
If I could make one wish it would be that there are no more E chapters in the rest of the book

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
More books need a chapter about a kid just loving around with rats

Edit: "Vote Lism for justice and a horrible death!" Give it up homie

Further edit: zevara going apeshit on him rules. Too bad she's a cop, acab

Josh Christ fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 20, 2021

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Just read the Two Rats interlude of Wandering inn and I definitely did not cry when Lyonette declared that Mrsha is her daughter, my eyes just got sweaty.

Edit it would be great if she would stop doing absolute showstopper chapters and then going back to Laken. gently caress Laken.

Josh Christ fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 21, 2021

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Argue posted:

That's the witches arc and it's pretty good and quite important long term

When the witches arent on screen, Josh should ask, where are the witches

Everything with Riverfarm and Laken specifically though sucks hard and I wish this arc was set somewhere else

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Silynt posted:

Laken himself isn’t even in the Witch arc, right? I think that’s the one while he is traveling home.

He keeps popping up, when the Order of Seasons gets involved he panics and tries to get home asap

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
HOLY poo poo BELAVIERR

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
TWI 6.51 A - PISCES IS GETTING LESSONS FROM WHO

THE gently caress

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

I think the thing that bugs me about many/most Xianxia is that growing strong is basically entirely dependent on privilege/luck and you can easily permanently handicap yourself and limit your potential by doing something suboptimal as a teenager.

It's like if you took being a striver young adult in the real world and magnified all the bad and unfair aspects by 100. Not only do the children of privilege get better resources/training, but it's literally physically impossible for someone to reach their level unless they have extremely good luck as a young teenager.

The entire point of Cradle is that he got a raw deal and had to scrape by with cunning until he lucked into finding someone who could actually teach him properly. The newest book has him going back to his home village and everyone treats him like dogshit still because they refuse to believe he isn't the powerless child they remember, despite him being literally steps away from actual godhood

It helps too that he wants power to save the world and the people he loves and not just to become king poo poo magic kung fu man

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

The thing in Cradle isn't just that he found someone who could teach him - it's that he found someone who could teach him who had unique insights into how to cultivate in ways that enabled Lindon to become stronger than most other people.

This doesn't bug me that much in Cradle specifically, though it is kind of funny how you're basically hosed if you're born into some clan with a sub-par path. And this isn't an issue with Lindon or other protagonists, but more one with similar settings as a whole basically letting people permanently ruin their prospects of advancement if they're taught the wrong way as a teenager.

I will say that I enjoy Cradle a lot but I enjoyed the first couple books a lot more, when he was basically a baby bumbledicking his way through the world and having to outsmart people who can blow him to pieces without blinking. I think if the book had stuck with him learning to harness illusion madra or whatever and becoming a trickster god it'd be way cooler; there's enough people who can brute force poo poo.

It does rule that there's a character who is literally Goku, though. Not an exaggeration or a joke, he is quite literally Goku.

Josh Christ fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 1, 2021

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I think he means Uncle Fury

She, and yeah, Fury is a strong guy with spiky black hair whose number one priority in life is fighting. He's a Goku.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Who's the most metal character in twi and why is it fetohep

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I mean Tulm's cool but he's not a six hundred year old skeleton running his own undead Latveria.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The Titans Question interlude is so good. the fakeout where you think Niers is talking about Earthfolk but it's dragons, Niers sending Foliana to erase Wils memory because it's bullshit for him to give up his real question, all just fantastic

Edit: I would like to update my most metal character to the entirety of the bloodfields

Josh Christ fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jun 3, 2021

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Thoughts on TWI 6.58-6.59

Erin going apeshit on people rules. Bird rules. gently caress a bunch of mages. Bird rules. I'm glad there's another politics arc starting. Bird rules.

Edit I hope Zevara murders this guy over sexism.

Further edit: gently caress em up pisces get this guy's rear end

Josh Christ fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 3, 2021

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Gnoman posted:

That section is when you really start to realize that Wistram are not the neutral Good Guys they present as.

I mean you kinda get that vibe for a bit, with the way they're talked about and the constant "yo where IS amerys" in the K chapters, but yeah.

Also gently caress blackmage I hope that little dork gets beat up.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Double posting because I read Interlude - Talia last night, the one where you meet the goblin slayer

Holy poo poo

I hope the Redscars never reunite because I don't think I could stop myself from crying too hard and dehydrating

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

OscarDiggs posted:

Is this Will Wrights Cradle?

Yeah, it's great. He makes friends with Goku and then Goku ascends to godhood.

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Feels like I'm going to eat poo poo for this in a few pages but I genuinely do not care about or know why I'm spending a chapter with the Players. No clue. Go back to the ants.

I'm incredibly aware that I say this every time the story deviates and then go holy poo poo that was amazing, and yet,

Edit: nope, still don't care. P joins D as the worst letter.

Josh Christ fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 5, 2021

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Just wanna give a shout out to bird for causing a diplomatic incident because he wanted to shoot the big birds. Love that ant.

Edit: it's incredibly hosed up to go to slice of life flashbacks immediately after this. Not as hosed ip as "time for a bunch of L or D chapters when things are getting wild in the main story" but it's up there

Another edit: I really appreciate the slow progression of Klbkch from weird stoic cop with a dipshit partner who's your buddy to just sociopathic rear end in a top hat, not because his behavior changes but because you have more exposure to it

Josh Christ fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 6, 2021

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Yo that visit to Actelios in TWI v7 is wiiiiild

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Peachfart posted:

This is one of pirateaba's most hosed up chapters, and that it pretty much scars Troy and heavily influences his story going forward is fitting.

Idk why he's hosed up about it it's just a city inside a cthulhu that I assume is one of the dead gods that isn't really dead where he almost dies learning to do new magic and finds out that the weird service animals are people from earth who ate cthulhu meat what's the big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad that the first thing Wistram does when they invent tv is to try to make commercials, and that that awful little nerd blackmage threatens to off himself eith a wand