Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Man. Wandering Inn is good. Not going to praise it to the skies but that Skinner introduction was real creepy. Besides I like Erin.

I totally do not like Ryoka, ugh such a pain to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Oh no. I just read a chapter about mating habits.

The only reason I keep reading this story is the author said it was a "comedy" chapter.

But it was just so loving bad and long and cringeworthy. I mean. Ugh.

Help me out here please.
There seems to be a jump between chapters 2.13 and 2.14 that I don't get? Suddenly Ryoka has a 800 gold contract with Teriach and she's visited him again? Is all that off screen or have I missed something?

Affi fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 15, 2017

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Milky Moor posted:

I've started one. It's still early days, though: eight chapters uploaded so far, about twenty written, Tuesday weekly updates.

I think it's a fairly different take on things to the other superhero stories out there, particularly the other superhero web serials I've seen around the place. I think the chapter coming up this Tuesday -- Chapter 9 -- is probably the clearest indication of what I'm going for.

I just bought a cyoa called paradigm city and I drew some parallels. Is it inspiration or coincidence? Also haven't actually started reading yours yet.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm honestly creeped out by how well she writes depression. Like is she just writing Erin from her own experiences? Cause Erin is depressed as gently caress.

Also new mother of learning is out!

I love this story more then I should! It was admittedly a bit crap in the beginning but the adventures and the blatant cheating and the grand plans are kinda fun! And heists!

I think I have it figured out though Red Robes identity. It's one of Zachs simulacrums that broke off. We keep having the characters talk about murderous simulacrums and Zach is honestly kinda unhinged to begin with. That is my theory at least!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Megazver posted:

She's on internet, so probably.

Mother of Learning is dope.

cough

Well drat it. Or rather yeah that is exactly my thoughts on it.

Only issue is where does the simulacrum start the reset? It fought Zach once at his home when he was just getting dressed so probably not in the same room.

I have another theory. The reset doesn't start when Zorian or Zach wakes up. It starts while they are asleep. And I wonder what will happen if Zorian trains himself to control his sleep and wakes up right as the loop starts.

Will he find red robe?

Affi fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 2, 2018

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Silynt posted:

I very much enjoyed the most recent Practical Guide, specifically the back and forth between Squire and Warlock. I thought the dialogue between them was some of the best in the series. And I'm intrigued by the hypocrisy in Warlock's stance on Cat - not the one she calls him out on, which is totally justified (he is every bit the monster he accuses her of being) - but that he seems to hate her for the threat that she represents to his best friend through her existence as his "replacement". How is that situation any different from Apprentice and Warlock? We just saw Apprentice transition into another Mage name, so why would he not assume that she could or would do the same? He claims that she will be the death of Black, but Masego wasn't the death of Warlock.

Speaking of Cat's potentially impending transition, do you guys think that Black Queen will be her new name, or is that just a red herring? I've been convinced that she won't become a Black Knight since very early on, but I'm not sure I buy the Black Queen as her final form. After all, a Squire has to become a Knight, right? Maybe Knight Queen or something similar. Or Night Queen if wordplay is more your style, haha.

Honestly it's either Black Queen. Because she is going down that path herself. In which case Black Knight is probably spared.

Possibly Black dies and she takes his place.

More probable is she becomes White Knight because that is probably the only way her side will "win". gently caress the gods game just flip over the table.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Motherfucker of learning was real good. Again.

drat I like the world he's built and I really like Zorian and Zach.

I wouldn't trust the man in a suit though. But I am curious why and how he found them in this loop? Silverlake setting up the meeting?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So what's the deal with the machine army? Is it in any way connected to worm? Or is it something kenzie did by accident? (Don't buy that her power is surveillance given the crap she's building)

Who the hell is fighting it on earth bet? Wardens and their ilk just seem to guard cities on gimel and stop villains.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Autonomous Monster posted:

Zorian's default operating mode is extreme paranoia, especially wrt anything that could cause damage that persists across resets, and Zach thinks he's a videogame character and the lich is his endboss.

Yeah. He's pretty much vetted Alaric and Xzvim to an absurd degree before inviting them. but he didn't do it to Silverlake because of time restraints and maybe Zachs reckless influence.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So where was it mentioned first?

Also someone please run down why they think Rain is lying?

Affi fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jan 27, 2018

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

sunken fleet posted:

Daybreak on Hyperion is pretty cool too. It's technically still updating ...just slowly. But the three volumes already up are well worth the read I think. Note the author has stated that it started as a gag project intended to be like four chapters long or something and blew up into the epic war fantasy it currently is - so the very beginning bits are a bit different tonally from the rest of the story.

Blast from the first page. Really? It's a story about a guy who summons a familiar waifu for himself. A transgendered familiar waifu.

Does it steer clear of all the creepy poo poo that entails? And is it amazing? Because I sorta like the alternate history earth preussia with mages that is in the background.

But creepy transgendered familiar waifu is just really weird.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Tzarnal posted:

Good Stuff

Thanks. I'll give one of the big battles a try. I'm just tapped out on good webserials. Up to date on practical guide, mother of learning, worm and all that jazz.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Unsung was great and I appreciate that it ended before overstaying its welcome.

Mother of learning: I hope [b]they get to solve the invasion and i hope they get into another time loop where the primordial is lose and they need to survive and escape and find a way to defeat it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Well Daybreak was. It was.

The battles were pretty cool and well thought through. And the campaigns too.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What's daybreak? The ward arc? That's not even the best part of the story so far

Sorry it's a meh webserial about a preussian war fetishist being sucked into a teenage girls body as a familiar and mistreated for months and also almost raped.

But the battles are p good.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So I gave ascendant bookworm a shot. Does it get interesting eventually? Or good?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Uplifting is fine and fun and I'm glad it's not creepy. But I'm going at chapter twenty five of "I need to make paper somehow" with a sprinkling of "oh this is how you make pancakes btw"

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Eh. Maybe I'll keep it as a slow burn for when there's nothing else to read.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Cicero posted:

The main explanation for Zorian being so good I think is that a) he's a generally smart dude in general, b) by virtue of the time loop he can access resources that others could not, and c) he can take certain risks to accelerate his learning that would be too dangerous for someone not stuck in a time loop.

I agree. It's like he's been studying 100% towards a goal for 3 years with unlimited resources and connections. On top of being not only a generally smart dude but probably just as smart and talented as his famous older brother. Most people take breaks and have hobbies. He dedicates his entire life to learning poo poo.

Can you become a mage in three years if you study hard and are talented? Sure anyone can do that.

Can you become a great mage in that same time if you're really talented and have the best tutors and the chance to really experiment with little to no risk and basically infinite resources? Definitely.

He's still no archmage and not one years later either but he is good and he is always prepared. Also he has one unfair advantage that lets him defeat most of these probably experienced battle wizards. He is very very good at mind magic

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Read the iron teeth serial. Occasionally very very good! The chapters do drag a bit but i guess that's web serials for you. A little bit too much filling.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Nah. Bard shows up right at the pivot and makes Catherine look away from Black for a second and thus being unable to stop him from destroying the array.

Bard obviously wanted it destroyed and distracted the one person who might've stopped Black

That is my read anyway.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I don't even know where March was even mentioned?

He must be pissed Foil made him gay or something? (Is that how bleed works?)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Epilogue pract So are we thinking black fights the crusade as Catherine invades praes for next book?

Obviously cats deal with Cordelia is “you keep black off my back and I’ll deal with the empress”

Followed by Cat betraying the crusade and coming to blacks aid a la Gandalf at helms deep.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ward is really picking up. Was honestly a bit boring there for a few chapters.

So what exactly is sidepiece’s power? What do the ribs do?

So tattletale is using vickys group to put pressure on Prancer so that she can eventually fold his organisation into hers.

I believe Team therapy will get a consolation price when they provoke conflict between prancer and his brutesquad and take down beast of burden. After the fallen have been dealt with of course!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

NecroMonster posted:

Sidepice's body appears to be explosive, or at least it's explosive when she pulls pieces off and throws them. Probably has some sort of regeneration to go with that.

Worlds shittiest power unless it comes with regeneration.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Fairly sure Erin was magicked into falling for Rain. We’ve got Valefor there still right? He hasn’t done much good but not going for her at that point really was decent of him.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Does that explain if she can actually do something? Like can she hear you or just trick you she can hear you? Or can she hurt you or just make you feel something on your skin?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
New mother of learning was real good.as usual.

Lichdad is still the best Lich

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Honestly I’m kind of in the camp of ward sucks.

So let’s discuss some other webcomic!

Like say practical guide! That stairway thing was p cool with Procer basically taking a page out of Praes old playbook and doing something comically huge (blowing up a mountainrange) in order to bypass the red vale

Catherine and Masego don’t look too good though! Cat is still mostly fae and masego is basically just a scrying relay. Probably his dream.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I like Erin even if she’s a bit Mary suish. I wish it’d focus more on her and her crazy inn.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I can’t really argue with that but I also don’t care?

She still runs a weird magical inn and she’s kinda clueless.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just caught up with worth the candle. It’s good. I have some pet peeves but it’s well written for what it is. The world building is interesting and the powecreep is hilarious but somehow appropriate.

Pet peeve 1: why do his party even like him? He treats some of them as disposable products (grak, locus, solace) I guess it’s because he can’t gently caress them?

Pet peeve 2: it’s just slow after the first few books. This 9 months in a time chamber feels basically like 9 months of wordpooping.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Cryophage posted:

What are the odds that she's actually fine, and those are just a pair of glamours to draw attention?

After all that talk about avoiding obvious pivots, it seems odd that she'd drop a magical superweapon as an opening act without assuming it would blow up in her face.

Yeah the way hellhound contemplates the stupidity of opening up with such a massive blow,given there is always pushback,I would hope they knew something was going to happen.

Fighting pilgrim and saint of swords is probably what it was like fighting the calamities when they had ranger.
Also ranger is totally going to kill saint of swords.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Lone Goat posted:

Worth the Candle just fired off like five chapters.

I like worth the candle but it’s been like 10 chapters about the time room

Could’ve been done in a lot fewer words.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Hope they’ll throw in a few chapters in “the real”

Tie up some lose ends. Deal with all the crap.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I unsubscribed from twi because it meandered too much. No real focus.

Parts of the last few chapters have been interesting but its sliding into “meh” territory again.

Still wish we could pay for more mother of learning though :(

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
It’s obvious which serials are planned out and which are just going with the flow.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Honestly the prt were just so dumb that people rationalised away Taylor’s rationalisations.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

NinjaDebugger posted:

My theory is that we're not actually dealing with good and evil here, but shin megami tensei order and chaos. Those tend to overlap varyingly with good and evil.

Black is essentially trying to move the empire's chaos away from evil enough that it becomes effective.

I agree for the most part. However the gods below are obviously order and not chaos. Easy mistake to make because you usually think chaotic evil and lawful good. I do at least.

Above: different choirs with different agendas and methods, procer is a tangled mess of small kingdoms, hordes of throw away named. Wandering bard throwing wrenches everywhere. Bumbling conjurer, rogue sorcerer (just the names really) It goes on and on.

Below: devils are lawful, the tower is order, gods below have no obvious schisms. Small close knit teams of named or even solo named.
The legions. Black is self evident, he’s described as a methodical machine. Warlock and hierophant (categorising and trying to figure out how he world works) (compare it to rogue sorceror, bumbling conjurer, witch of the woods) (name wise it reeks of chaos)

I’m counting demons as outside the whole devils and angels (and I think the story also mentions this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I don’t actually like wildbows writing.

I think pact and twig were crap and wards is not very engaging.

I like other poo poo stories that are objectively worse but there’s just something i don’t like with wildbows writing.