Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

So, I've been writing a web serial for almost nine months now, called Katalepsis.

It's an urban fantasy story / lesbian supernatural soap opera, with a little bit of a horror coating. I didn't want to link it here until I was certain I'd be sticking with it, so here it is. New chapters currently every Saturday, though I'm trying to build up to twice a week instead. I'm not an incredible writer or anything, and I guess the story can get a little grisly at times, so it might not be to everyone's taste. If anybody does check it out, I sincerely hope you enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Kaja Rainbow posted:

You had me at lesbian supernatural soap opera.

I have gathered it's not exactly a common genre.

SerSpook posted:

This is pretty good. I've been reading for the last little bit and am on 1.4.

Very glad you're enjoying it so far! I don't want to prejudice anybody's responses by explaining my intentions, but I will say that I'm very pleased with how Raine seems to have affected readers. Characterisation is a difficult balance.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Certainly well enough for me to binge it and add these useless lesbians to my rss reader.

You binged it? Goodness. I don't know how to respond to that. Thank you, I'm flattered you've enjoyed it enough to want to continue reading.

The Shortest Path posted:

That's awesome, I will put you in the OP and do my best to get to reading this when I get a chance.

Thank you!

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

All in all I had a lot of fun reading, so thanks for being a cool writer person and sharing a neat story with us!

Plorkyeran posted:

I read through chapter 4.2 of useless lesbian ghost adventures on a plane flight today. It was good.

Thank you both very much! I'm delighted that people are enjoying my story.

Musluk posted:

I thought she was malnourished.

The ambiguity may be intentional.

Patrat posted:

So I checked this out, I read the whole thing, it is pretty drat good! Not just for a web serial either, I actually ended up taking a break from the novel I was reading to catch up with this story instead.

Ah! Thank you, that is a very significant compliment. I know my style isn't the best, but I'm glad people are getting something real from reading it.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

devildragon777 posted:

Just finished reading through the chapters over the course of the last couple of days, and I think this has jumped straight to a shared #1 on my web serial list with PracGuide. I am incredibly fond of all the characters, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I keep wanting to give the pneuma-somatics a hug after Heather yells at them, they aren't doing any harm! And Tenny is adorable!

I don't think I have a good grasp of how large Sharrowford is, though (I've never been to the UK). Is it a fairly large town?

Thank you very much! I take that as a huge compliment, and it's always lovely to know when a reader enjoys the story so much.

Yes, Sharrowford is meant to be a fairly large town, with a population of about 150k. That makes it regionally notable but not a real major metropolitan center. More technically it's a city, though the terms "university town" and "university city" are interchangeable in the British vernacular. It's based on a combination of several real places in England.

edit: I just realised you're the patreon subscriber I replied to about a minute before checking this thread. Thank you again!

Hungry fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Oct 10, 2019

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

cultureulterior posted:

This was fantastic- you should seriously try for more recognition (Mirror to royal road, etc), you're worth it. Backed on Patreon.

Wow, thank you! Glad you're enjoying it!

I've been trying to get more recognition in a few ways, kind of stumbling through the process. Getting votes on topwebfiction seems to make a big difference so far. I'd vaguely heard of royal road before, a very mixed reputation, but I'm looking into it now and it does seem possible to simply mirror a story. I may try that soon, so thank you very much for the suggestion.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I use Scrivener for everything, so turning arcs or chapters into ebooks would be quite simple in theory. The questions are how to format them for easiest reading, which I have zero experience doing, and where exactly to make them available.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I'm actually quite surprised I haven't gotten any homophobic comments or reviews of my story since I mirrored it on Royal Road. I was expecting it to be a little more trashy on there.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Kaja Rainbow posted:

So, here is my transgender author effortpost!

Thank you for good posting! Yesterday I didn't even know about scribblehub, now I have a bunch of transgender authors to check out and that is great.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Also, consider this my weekly thanks for writing an awesome story about garbage people: Big Gay Supernatural Dumpster Fire is a radtastic story I wouldn't have discovered otherwise. ^^

Edit:

Flesh pajamas? Sheesh, those guys are hardcore occultists.

You are very welcome indeed! Thank you for reading it!

Also oh God, urgh, that is mortifying and thank you for noticing so I could correct it. I've been recovering from wisdom tooth extraction and some minor complications all week so my proofreading is below standard at the moment.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Jade Mage posted:

This. This is a good post, I just read everything to date of Katalepsis in one sitting because of this recommendation. It is a really good read

I know I'm a bit broken-record whenever somebody says something like this, but thank you, I'm always delighted when somebody reads and enjoys the story.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I am going to take this as a sign that I'm doing this right.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Edit: ...also, I just realized, is Praem straight-up the most unambiguously positive and upbeat character in this entire story? That's awesome and hilarious.

You know what? (Not an actual spoiler) Yes. Yes she is! She's delightful and I never expected her to be so positive.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

e: of course someone commented the exact same thing

I was incredibly confused for a moment, then laughed.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I think that's (probably) intentional

I was going to reply to this with "do you want an actual answer in spoiler tags?" But then after thinking about it for a bit I realised I sort of can't answer that myself. My intentions are less important than whatever readers get from Heather.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Guilty as charged.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Katalepsis has its hooks in me. I love love love everything about this story. I started reading it earlier this week and now I'm somehow five books in and haven't slept much the last few days...

Every few chapters I get some kind of weird feeling that makes me terrified that Raine is really a sociopath and has been bullshitting absolutely everything and is going to betray her and I don't think my poor gay heart could handle that. :ohdear:

The dangerhorny bits with Raine near the beginning are loving hilarious though.

Thank you so very much, but please get some sleep, don't be like Heather!

I'm really glad the inherent black humor in the dangerhorny stuff comes through for some readers.

Also completely unrelated, your avatar is downright amazing.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

You know, I may have subconsciously had that scene in mind. Not gonna rule it out.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm honestly hoping that they keep pushing back dealing with her, and she's just kind of sitting there in the corner watching for the next several months. (Lozzie can feed and/or decorate her when she's bored.)

Like an abandoned Christmas tree.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

That is incredibly cool. Congrats!

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

did i miss a Katalepsis update or something? didn't see anything this past saturday

NinjaDebugger posted:

No, looks like a skip week. Last chapter's dated sunday before last, next chapter's dated this saturday.

This is correct, there was no chapter on the 15th of February. I left a note about the skipped week on the front page and via patreon before I did it, but I didn't realise that wouldn't be enough. My apologies for both the delayed chapter and any confusion!

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Maintaining a web serial can be horrifyingly stressful and time-consuming, never apologize for taking time off! :) (It's honestly kinda nuts how easy burnout can be as a serial dude- having to deliver creativity on a schedule for months or years can be awful.)

Lone Goat posted:

and yeah you don't need to apologise for taking time off! I just expected to see it at the top of the comment section because that's where a couple other authors put it.

Omi no Kami posted:

TL;DR: take care of yourself, screw anyone who says otherwise, and thanks for being a rad creator person who wrote the cool thing! (You too, Hungry! ItM and Disaster Lesbians are basically the only two serials I tune in for now that MoL wrapped up, and it makes me sad when awesome writers burn out to please their fans. :) )

Thank you very much for the kind words and understanding. Creativity on a schedule actually seems to work really well for me, I just wish other things didn't get in the way of said schedule. Skipping a chapter certainly wasn't planned in advance, more of a last resort style thing, which is why I feel pretty bad about doing it.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

also i marathoned katalepsis this weekend and holy poo poo that story owns bones

i am fully in on team disaster lesbians!

Thank you! So much, really. I can't put it into words well, but knowing that my writing brings people joy is why I keep doing this.

Also, holy poo poo, you read the whole thing in a weekend? I just checked and it currently clocks in at 360k words. I thought I was a fast reader, but I doubt I could manage that.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

i mean, your story isn't even as long as vol 1 of TWI, so it aint no big deal lol

meanwhile pirateaba is literally averaging 30k words per chapter while she's attending physical therapy for her arms :yikes:

e: i've actually been proselytizing katalepsis to TWI discord pretty hard and i've gotten 3 people to read it already (one of whom even subbed patreon)

im trying to get pirateaba herself read it and give it a shoutout but that might be a bit overly ambitious

pirateaba is an absolute machine and I have the utmost respect for her, I don't know how she manages it.

Oh geeze, thanks so much for passing the story around!

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I love how Katalepsis manages to simultaneously be a super-duper messed-up supernatural horror story and also a wonderfully happy and upbeat comedy about the river in the desert that is Evelyn's Home For Thirsty Wizards.

I'll have you know I take this as the highest of compliments.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Tzarnal posted:

Katalepsis:

I love you Praem, so glad you're back.

:same:

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Katalepsis: If there was a way to communicate with this Outsider, this shard of the Eye, its minion, and unfeeling animal, whatever it was, I was going to find out.

And I was going to hurt it until I understood why.

Sounding just a smidgen Peter Wattsy there, Heather.

Guilty as charged!

Wait no I'm not Peter Watts.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

madwhitesnake posted:

Hi all.

For the past year, I’ve been writing a web novel called Pith.

This is real good.

Schneider Heim posted:

Do people just host their own novel on Wordpress.com? I looked at a few web serial/novel aggregate sites and they all look... not my thing. Authors, do you use those?

Yeah, wordpress is pretty easy to set up and use, and not very expensive either. However, I cross-post every chapter to Royal Road and Scribblehub as well as on my own wordpress site, and I think that drives a lot of traffic.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

madwhitesnake posted:

And, that being said, the real writing god I worship is story structure, not worldbuilding.

Preach it, yeah!

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Savant or not, I have no earthly clue how pirateaba does what they do.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

What the gently caress is happening in this thread

Bad prose is a kind of psychic attack.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Katalepsis 8.5: holy gently caress heather is going full doc ock

Somebody in the discord channel said that exact same thing and made me burst out laughing.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

PoorWeather posted:

It's weird, because I generally enjoy Wildbow's okay compared to some - I even liked the first half of Twig quite a lot - but I just can't get into Pale whatsoever. It feels like the first few chapters are full of too-vague descriptions and really drawn out setup scenes, even compared to Ward, but everyone's comparing it very favorably to Ward. I feel like I'm missing something.

Do you guys think it's it's possible to even write web serial with a slower pace, or it just anathema to the format? I was learning towards "no" but the response to this has thrown me off a bit.

By 'slower pace' do you mean frequency of new chapters, or slower internal story pacing?

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I think of it as kind of like writing a soap opera rather than a novel.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

So what you're saying is, instead of The L Word you want to write The C(thulhu) Word? I am utterly down for that concept.

Pretty much everything I have written ever is inexorably leading toward that concept, yes!

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Man, I re-read the first arc of Katalepsis because I wanted to check on a few things, and holy cow. When I first read it I thought that Raine came off as too perfect in that wish-fulfillment, dream girlfriend kind of way. Now that I know what her actual deal is, her early behavior is frigging nefarious, holy freaking poo poo.

(TL;DR: read Katalepsis.)

I am endlessly fascinated by all the different takes on Raine.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Lot 49 posted:

Oi! Person who writes Katalepsis. I demand more Twil.

As have several people. Twil is core cast! She'll be around more.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Newest Katalepsis is pretty great. I'm a big fan of Heather becoming some kinda freaky Outside monster - transhumanism is Cool and Good.

Tzarnal posted:

Agreed Katalepsis has been going strong the last few weeks. The Transhumanism seems to come with a lot of very real disabling headaches and bruises though. Now I'm not a particularly insightful reader. But I think the story might be trying to tell us that its actually Not Good.

I'm absolutely not going to weigh in on this as paratext, but this is very interesting.

Also I hope this little community manages to survive and/or transplant itself to wherever we all end up soon.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Yes? Yes, I am taking notes.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

Fun Katalepsis chapter, but i'm feeling worse and worse for Raine. :(

You know what? Me too. She really needs to just goddamn talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

So I just realized something really horrifying about the latest Katalepsis chapter: if the thing with Zheng ever becomes romantic on Heather's side Cannibal Holocaust would be the perfect date night movie, and holy poo poo.

I'm extremely doubtful that Heather would be able to sit through that.