Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think I figured out why the movies didn't work out

It should never have happened in Hollywood. Maybe as a BBC many-part series. Which I think is in the works? Or was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

eating only apples posted:

It just all went so wrong. The bear fight was awesome though.

e: like she is radiant, but the script. THE SCRIPT. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rE45VHtSzw

I went to see it in the cinema (strangely enough as part of a church youth group trip - I don't know either) and the thing I remember that struck me about it was how there was a lot of telling rather than showing; the one that really stuck out to me was a bit at the end where it cuts to Daniel Craig - who's been absent for most of the movie being held prisoner - shaving his goatee while someone narrates about how he bribed his guards and escaped off-screen.

Another one I forgot was the Tim Burton-directed adaptation of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculair Children which I saw and which I wanted to like. It has a confusing tone. It starts off with that Tim Burton "horror for kids" thing where Asa Butterfield's grandfather has his eyes sucked out by creepy monsters, then by the end said monsters are defeated by the kids throwing snowballs at them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm not sure how well The Maze Runner is doing as a film adaptation of a YA series but I got a bizarre phonecall from my 56 year old father who usually only watches WW2 movies last year to tell me that the first two movies were really good and he was excited for the third in the series so they must be doing something right.

The Maze Runner was doing really well as a movie series BUT they ran into a kerfuffle during the filming of the third movie where the lead actor was run over by a car and injured pretty badly. He's since recovered but it definitely derailed things a little.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I wonder whether the author is aware that most of the attempts to start new YA adaptation movie franchises have tanked in the last five years? (Rhetorical question; I realise she probably isn't.) Harry Potter and Twilight ended in 2011 and 2012 respectively and they did pretty well. Hunger Games debuted in 2012 and ended in 2015, but it ended up not doing as well as had been hoped for.

In the interim, His Dark Materials was tried and failed, Beautiful Creatures was tried and failed, Mortal Instruments was tried and failed, Ender's Game was tried and failed, Vampire Academy was tried and failed, Divergent was successful for a while but petered out in the end, Chronicles of Narnia started off well but I have no idea what's going on with it now, and there's probably a bunch of other examples I've forgotten about.

Point is that even if this novel was actually good and even if it sold on its own merits, then surely its chances of getting optioned by a production company would be potentially slim at this point? I'm pretty sure that the pre-existing "YA audience" mainly goes in for superhero movies and Star Wars and the like now.

Mortal Instruments eventually got rebooted as a TV series which has done better than the movie as they're currently on three seasons.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I went to see it in the cinema (strangely enough as part of a church youth group trip - I don't know either) and the thing I remember that struck me about it was how there was a lot of telling rather than showing; the one that really stuck out to me was a bit at the end where it cuts to Daniel Craig - who's been absent for most of the movie being held prisoner - shaving his goatee while someone narrates about how he bribed his guards and escaped off-screen.

I did too. The book is a hard sell as a movie, that's fair enough. But they really did do the least work possible to get it out. It's short too iirc, under 2 hours when the first Harry Potter got to nearly 3 hours. They focused a whole lot on the bears too, which are a relatively small part of the book.

I really hope the BBC series goes ahead, it seems like Pullman is more involved.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, and I forgot Eragon as well.

The movie managed to be worse than the book, which is quite a feat. Those books read exactly like you'd expect a Star Wars fanfic by a teenager to read.

Maxus
May 5, 2017

Proteus Jones posted:

The movie managed to be worse than the book, which is quite a feat. Those books read exactly like you'd expect a Star Wars fanfic by a teenager to read.

Funny you should mention that. This thread has made me go see if the Eragon Sporkings were still kicking around on the Internet.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The film also cut out the bit where a child is sacrificed and the sky literally gets torn asunder. How can you adapt a book where a child gets sacrificed and the sky gets literally torn asunder and NOT include the scene where a child gets sacrificed and the sky gets torn literally asunder?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Probably because that'd be hella-expensive to animate.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dick Burglar posted:

Probably because that'd be hella-expensive to animate.
Because a)they wanted it to have a happy ending, b)it'd show Craig's character as a villain. Nevermind that it's the biggest "gently caress you" the movie could possibly give to the book's fans.
Thing is, as far as YA books go, Golden Compass is pretty good (and just it, don't get me started on the sequels) and the ending comes as a shock despite being foreshadowed. The movie doesn't have any of that; it just takes roughly half the book's plot and uses it to tell a different story.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
I have yet to see what, if anything, about Handbook for Mortals qualifies it as a "handbook". Besides the fact that a Kindle/ipad probably does fit in the hand, but that's not enough to be a "handbook".

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I feel like this is the kind of story where the title would be shoe horned in in the worst, most plot breading way. Like someone figuratively turns to the camera and says with a gasp, "if only I had a handbook for mortals! How do relationships work? How is girl get boi??

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
You know Ellie, we really are the handbook for mortals

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Well the book summary says something about Zade finding herself at death's door so we have that to look forward to

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Isnt the Golden Compass a three novel gently caress you to CS Lewis

More or less, which is why it never would have worked as a movie series. I didn't hate the movie, but that was mostly because it was really pretty.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Continuing on here, we have the second half of chapter 8 and the entirety of chapter 9 because it flows together much better.

Zade spends some more time with Jackson after Mac leaves, but none of this gets described and we just cut to Zade arriving at her little apartment at 4:00 AM (it would probably be larger if she didn't drop loving ten grand on a Ducati as soon as she moved to Vegas).

quote:

I really liked Mac and something kept drawing me to him, but I also really liked Jackson—and there was something about him, too, something beyond the killer smile and sparkly eyes. I guess I liked them both, and that had never happened before. I might have simply let things go along for a while if the situation wasn’t so complicated. And if we didn’t all work together and know each other. And if Mac and Jackson weren’t friends. Maybe they weren’t best friends, but they were friends, for sure. I knew I needed to figure it all out before things got messy. One of my favorite poets, Christopher Poindexter, came to mind:

“is it possible to love
more than one person at a time?”
i asked, staring grievously at
the bottom of my glass.

“of course,” she replied, “

just not with the same intensity.
they don’t tell you that
because it scares them shitless.

love is an energy thing.”

I decided to look up Christopher Poindexter, and apparently he's a no-name poet from Pensacola. I'm guessing Lani's a fan of his.

Zade decides to let the cards decide what to do, so she spreads out one of her tarot decks on her bedside table and cuts it into three piles. Now, my fiancee is actually a longtime tarot reader so I decided to let her loose on this half of the chapter. As you can expect, Lani knows about as much about tarot reading as she does about Vegas magic shows.

quote:

My mother taught me that everyone has guides—spirit guides who are incorporeal beings and are assigned to us before we are born. They help nudge and guide us through life. Some guides will stay with you throughout your entire life, and others will pop in every now and again to help you with specific areas of your life or goals you are trying to achieve. We all have guides, not just people like me (though mine are probably just more like me). You’ve probably noticed yours before and just not known who they were. Your guides are the little voices that tell you to “slow down” or “buy bread” or “take notice of the cute guy in line in front of you”—all of those are direct communication from your guides or higher self. This is why a lot of people think of their guides as guardian angels, cause they are in a way, guardians angels with great advice.

My fiancee's first reaction was to laugh at this.

quote:

“I’m looking for who would be best overall for my highest and best good and for his highest and best good as well. Jackson should come up in the form of the King of Wands and Mac as the King of Cups.” I breathed deeply again and start to gently flip over my cards onto my bedside table.

Let's get one thing straight about tarot: not only is "highest and best good" the stupidest phrasing I've heard, you don't tell tarot cards what to do. If you think it's just a bunch of hokum, it's because tarot is just randomly pulling crap from a pile like a fancy game of Uno. If you believe in it, it's because the cards will do what the cards do. Either way, someone legitimately trying to do a tarot reading can't just tell the cards or a "spirit guide" what certain cards mean. They have their meanings already, and the universe doesn't have time to adjust itself to your bullshit love triangle.

quote:

“The High Priestess.” That card usually talks of supernatural, secret knowledge; information she may or may not reveal to you. Must be my mom. I sighed and thought about my mom and the lack of communication I had with her. We had always been very close and I hated that things seemed so distant now with her. It made me sad, but I didn’t really know how to deal with it. I examined the woman on the card and thought that it did somehow actually resemble my mom. There are literally thousands of options for designs on tarot decks. Some decks have a very dark feel to them and some feel warm and bright. They all look different and some people, like me, use different decks for different situation. It felt a little weird to suddenly notice how much this particular High Priestess card looked like my mom, especially since I had used that particular deck thousands of times but had never noticed till now—when I really missed her—how much that card looked like my mom.

The High Priestess represents wisdom, a time to depend upon your inner knowledge and "gut feeling" instead of your conscious, logical thinking ability. It most certainly does not refer to your mother.

quote:

“The Chariot.” That card usually means a journey. I wasn’t sure if it meant my journey or someone else’s.

The Chariot is associated with victory and control, and a strong desire or formal decision about something (often a desire to do great things and prove you have what it takes); it's usually a sign that you should move forward with what you have in your heart and give it your best shot.

A running theme here is that Zade's reading ironically makes sense in the context of an actual tarot reading, but Lani apparently just looked at the pictures of the cards and decided what they mean based on that.

quote:

“The Fool.” The fool doesn’t mean you’re stupid or even silly, but rather it is the card of infinite possibilities. The most traditional version of this card has a young person starting out on a journey. The bag he is carrying on his staff indicates that he has all he needs so that he can do or be anything he wants, he has only to stop and unpack. He is on his way to a brand new beginning.

But the Fool carries a little “bark” of warning, as well. He’s depicted as being so busy being happy and excited that he doesn’t notice that there is a huge cliff coming up and his dog is barking at him trying to get his attention. In other words, while it’s wonderful to be enthralled with all around you and excited by all life has to offer, you still need to watch your step, lest you fall and end up looking the fool. I looked at what I had in front of me on the table. Those cards were definitely about me moving to Vegas and were, in essence, in my past now.

The Fool is related to journeys (not The Chariot), and points to new beginnings that often have a deeper meaning; it would refer to starting a new relationship rather than buying a new pair of shoes. It's often a sign of an important fresh start.

quote:

I laid down three more cards, all directly underneath the first three, which represented my present. The Magician, the Devil, and the Lovers. The Magician can mean different things but I’m pretty sure—in my case—I needed to assume it had a literal meaning in this one.

Tarot meanings are always metaphorical. They can't be taken literally any more than you can demand that your deck reveal specific cards for specific people. The Magician is a sign that you'll become aware of synchronicities related to deeply religious or soulful events, which occur without any concern for their shallow appearances. Since it's not inverted, it's a sign of a positive time where you'll find that you have the strength and knowledge to meet your challenges.

quote:

I knew that the Devil card doesn’t usually mean the Devil literally, but it also wasn’t clear to me what he was representing, so I decided not to worry about it for the time being. Sometimes when you aren’t sure what a card means you just have to let it go until something more about why a card showed up reveals itself to you.

You can't ignore cards. As my fiancee described it, "If Daddy Satan has something to say, you better listen."

The Devil is a reminder that you have options to choose from, and shouldn't listen to people telling you that you don't. Feel like you're in control and free yourself from restrictions that may be holding you back.

quote:

The Lovers, however, had an obvious meaning: it meant I could have a relationship. Okay.

If you ever think the meaning is obvious and literal, you're bad at reading tarot.

The Lovers appears when you're feeling confused about a relationship or situation in your life, like your heart is telling you one thing and your head is telling you another.

quote:

I told the guides I was going to lay down two piles to represent each relationship and once again asked that the King of Wands show up to represent Jackson and the King of Cups to represent Mac. I would know by those cards which pile was about whom. I laid down seven cards together. The Eight of Wands, which is meant to represent Cupid’s arrows, meant he likes me. No surprise there. The Three of Pentacles (a relationship), the Three of Cups, the Sun, and the Five of Pentacles meant it would be great—but it wouldn’t be perfect. I kept reading and found the Nine of Cups, which meant all would be content—and the King of Wands. So that indicated for me that this was my future path with Jackson. Sounds pretty good. My intuition was telling me that the entire combo had an extra meaning to it, but I couldn’t put my finger on what it was.

I laid ten cards down this time. The Ace of Cups meant that he’d love me. The Two of Cups, the Ten of Pentacles, and the Four of Wands could refer to marriage. The Ten of Cups (predicting a happy family) was followed by the Wheel of Fortune, which meant that those all could happen—but I also got the Eight of Swords, which meant that it could all go wrong. And after the Queen of Cups I ended with the King of Cups: Mac. I stared at all the cards lying on the table.

This one actually kinda gets the meanings. The bigger problem is that instead of laying down 3 cards to represent the future, she tries to cut two decks and tell her "spirit guides" what to do. Just like how you can't tell your cards which ones it pulls from your deck, you can't start with a three-card spread and then cancel it to put down piles of random size (some of which she also got the meanings wrong). This is an absolute mess.

quote:

Looks like it could work with either of them, either of them could be “the one.” There was something weird surrounding both of them though. It looked like Mac could also be the cause of all hell breaking loose. Weird. I’m not sure what to think. I closed my eyes and breathed deeply for a couple of moments.

“Okay, and for the future . . . .” I picked up the last card hesitantly and laid it down.

quote:

The Tower. Dela, far away—and hopeful—laid down the same card her daughter did. She exhaled audibly, fearful for Zade’s path. She laid down the rest of the final three.

Dela’s voice trembled as she spoke. “The Tower, the Death Card, and then the World. How is that?” She glanced at a picture on the table sitting by the candle at her side. It was a photo of Zade and she directed her outspoken words directly to the photo. “Oh, Zade. You have a very difficult journey ahead. I don’t know how, but after everything falls apart, it will all be okay again.”

Dela had been watching over her daughter in the best way she knew how—and the best way she knew how to find out what was going on in her life without actually talking to her. She’d been doing readings every day on Zade and looking in. She still missed Zade’s voice and actual interaction with her, but she knew she needed to let Zade be—for now. It wouldn’t be like that forever, but Dela needed to be patient till it was time for them to reconnect.

Once again getting the meanings wrong, for Zade at least. The Tower represents that some people or situations you've counted on in the past may no longer be there in the way you're used to. This isn't a bad thing, since life changes, but something to be ready for. Stick to reality instead of building castles in the sky.

Also, the book doesn't mention just how Dela comes to such a negative conclusion. If the card is inverse (upside-down) then it can have a negative meaning, but The Tower by itself isn't a bad card. Even Death isn't a bad card; an upright Death indicates new beginnings and transformation, without a negative connotation. An inverse Death would mean that you're resistant to change and need to learn how to move on.

Either way, our terribly hosed up reading ends as the door in front of Dela opens. A young woman around Zade's age enters.

quote:

She was dressed modestly in jeans and a loosely fitted blouse. Her stringy brunette hair was brushed but not styled and she didn’t seem to have on any make-up. She was skinny, almost too skinny, and looked sad—and slightly scared. She fidgeted, her gaze darting around the room, and stood just inside the door as if she might bolt back out if she saw something that scared her.

The girl, April, is here for a reading. Dela quickly guesses that she's here because someone broke her heart, not because of her magic powers but because over half of her clients are here because of problems in their love life. Dela opens with her usual canned speech about how she's just going to show everything, good or bad, without sugarcoating it, and advice on how to adjust her path in life. There's also a reminder that if fate wants her to end up in a certain way, she can change her path but will always land that way.

We suddenly cut away from learning how this goes and return to Zade, who's taking another shopping trip to the mall. As she gets a lemonade from the Hot Dog on a Stick stand, the barely-an-adult cashier (Alan, one of our few two-syllable names on a minor character) makes an attempt to flirt with her.

quote:

A short, stocky girl with mousey brown hair was behind the booth preparing orders. She had obviously noticed the attention I was getting from Alan, and she didn’t seem too happy about it either. She looked at Alan, then back at me, and her face darkened.

“Hey!” she yelled, and even though I was already looking at her through my hair she startled me with her sharp voice. “He’s taken.”

I frowned in confusion and raised my right eyebrow. “What?” The girl stormed out from behind the stand, coming in front of it to get closer to me. She tried to raise herself to my face, but I towered over her. She couldn’t have been more than 5’2”, perhaps not even that tall, and was struggling to look tough or mean. She glowered.

“I said, he’s taken. So you can cut it with that cute routine you’ve got going.” Oh, I thought, realization slowly dawning on me, she’s his girlfriend. I felt color rising to my cheeks. “I’m just waiting for my drink,” I said frostily. I squared my jaw and looked her directly in the eye. I was not afraid of much, and I was definitely not afraid of an eighteen-year-old girl with a jealousy issue.

“Don’t give me that, you little skank,” the girl spat as her voice got louder. You could visibly see her blood pressure rising. “I saw you batting your eyes.”

Zade begins LITERALLY SHAKING as she tells the girl to back off, and the vat of lemonade on the counter of the stand begins vibrating. She calls Zade a "miserable bitch" (accurate) and the vat suddenly explodes, showering her in lemonade but somehow not pelting her with broken glass despite shrapnel flying everywhere. Zade is not only precise enough to avoid drenching anyone but her target, but also redirects all of the flying glass to just embarrass her instead of kill her!

quote:

I shrugged and declared, “When life hands you lemons . . . ,” then turned and left her on the ground.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 6, 2017

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I love me some tarot due to a lifetime of playing SMT in general and the Persona games in particular, but god drat :psyduck:

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

At least Persona teaches you what the Chariot means.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

chitoryu12 posted:

Zade begins LITERALLY SHAKING as she tells the girl to back off, and the vat of lemonade on the counter of the stand begins vibrating.

first thought: "wait wtf enoby what da hell r u doing?”

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Man, all these boys are just crazy for a girl with a snaggletooth.

I also appreciated the crash course in tarot readings. I had a girlfriend in high school who was into it, but I've never really grokked the meanings.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LawfulWaffle posted:

Man, all these boys are just crazy for a girl with a snaggletooth.

I also appreciated the crash course in tarot readings. I had a girlfriend in high school who was into it, but I've never really grokked the meanings.

Basically, tarot is extremely metaphorical. There's a few ways you can do it, but the one Zade started to do is a three-card spread:

1. Have the questioner shuffle the cards and cut the deck as they see fit. Optionally, the reader can shuffle and the questioner just says when to stop.

2. Have the questioner pick 9 cards. The first 3 are the past, the second 3 are the present, and the third 3 are the future.

Each card has a metaphorical meaning that isn't obvious based on its artwork, like Death is related to change rather than literal death and destruction. If the card is right-side up when you pull it out, it generally has a positive or benign meaning. If the card is upside-down (or inverse), it has a negative meaning. In spite of how fiction shows it, tarot readings typically aren't full of doom and gloom predicting your misfortune every step of the way. As I said before, an inverse Death card isn't a sign that you're going to die, but a sign that you're resisting change when you really shouldn't or refusing to move on from something. You're supposed to take tarot as a sign of how to fix the issues in your life, many of which are self-inflicted.

Lani ended up completely wrecking tarot here beyond getting the meaning of all the major cards wrong. As I said before, you can't just tell the cards what they do or don't represent. King of Cups means whatever the King of Cups means in every tarot deck, regardless of how much you want to tell the cards that it's going to represent your boyfriend. You can certainly try to demand things of your deck, but it's just going to do whatever.

She also starts with a regular three-card spread and ends up deciding "gently caress that" when she gets to the future and tries to just lay down cards in piles (which aren't even the same size!) for two future paths. This makes as much sense as starting to build a car and suddenly installing a chocolate fountain instead of an engine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The following chapter takes place entirely in third person italics. Like before, Lani apparently forgot to highlight the entire chapter and the lack of italics in the first paragraph are true to the text.

quote:

Tad, Mac, Cam, and Riley, along with Jackson and the whole band (Tom, Tim, Mike, Dave, and De’Mar)—and an audio tech named Drew—were all standing around the stage dealing with some work issues. Drew had always gotten along with everyone and all in all was a decent guy. He was about as vanilla looking as someone can get, with brown hair and brown eyes. He led a pretty average existence overall, and no one ever had any problems with him.

The other guys tended to pick on Drew, though, because he was an easy target in a theater full of more-talented, more-experienced, and better-looking people, who all led far more exciting lives. Even so, Drew always seemed to be pretty content and—compared to anyone from the small town in Iowa he was from—he was leading the best life by far.

“Drew, we need to have a rehearsal before the show rehearsal tomorrow,” Tom demanded. He had a way though of not sounding demanding, even when he was being that way. “We’ve gotta work this new song into part of the show,” he added, explaining why he was asking.

“I also got in my new drum kit today and would like to get it set up tomorrow. DW finally came through,” De’Mar chimed in.

Drew turned toward Mac. “Mac, do you have any reason that can’t happen?” He turned back toward Jackson. “What do you guys need, an hour?”

Jackson nodded. “Yeah, an hour ought to do it. A rehearsal before the rehearsal.” Jackson smiled, showing his whole set of pearly whites.

Mac shrugged. “Yeah, I don’t know of any reason why you guys can’t come in early tomorrow. Just watch the overtime this week after the show.” The band muttered their agreement and continued getting their equipment ready. Mac turned to Drew. “Drew, Sofie was saying something about getting shocked by her handheld. You know anything about that?”

Drew’s face flushed and he frowned. “Man, there ain’t nothing wrong with her mic. I’m sure she just wants some more attention . . . or another new mic.”

Mac grimaced. “Probably both, but you mind if I take a look at it anyway?”

“Knock yourself out,” Drew said, pointing to where the mic case was and angling his finger in the direction of Sofie’s. “It’s in the mic case with her name on it.”

Zade passes by and the entire group of men turn to stare at her, with Drew openly wondering if she has a boyfriend. Mac, being Mac, thinks he's being singled out by this question and reacts rather abrasively. He tells Drew that he's not her type, which he becomes incredibly defensive about because no man can stop lusting after Scheherazade Esther Holden.

Mac tries to deflect the attention away from him (and gauge how far their relationship has gone) by telling everyone that Jackson asked her out.

quote:

“Yeah, I’ve been testing the waters a little. I’d definitely go swimming in that ocean.” Jackson grinned wide and nodded, making his position very clear.

“Did you?” Mac wondered, trying to sound nonchalant, even as worry spread nearly imperceptibly across his face.

“Nah. She is quite a catch, but we’re keeping it light. She’s the kind you want to marry, not just use to get laid. Not sure if I’m ready to give up my freedom just yet, but she’d be the girl to do it for, that’s for sure,” Jackson surmised.

“Yeah,” Mac affirmed, in a daze. He was processing what Jackson had said just as much as Jackson was: Zade was the kind of girl you marry.

Jackson noticed the faraway look and the wheels turning in Mac’s head, and he raised his brow as something clicked. “Five years from now, wild horses wouldn’t keep me away. Maybe sooner,” he added, in part to see what reaction he might get.

The last statement annoyed Mac, he had learned all he was going to from Jackson and he wanted the conversation over with. “Umf. Guys, it’s getting late. Everyone go finish your set-ups. Doors are in twenty minutes.”

Tom commented: “You know I always feel like there is some joke there.”

Mac responded, “What do you mean”?

“You know that doors being a saying about opening the doors to let patrons come in to see the show, and the fact the theater also gets called ‘the house’ and there is a band called the Doors, and . . .”

Mac shook his head, “And you live in a van down by the river? Kid, I have no idea what you are talking about.”

“Yeah, I know. Like I said, I haven’t figured it out, yet. But there is a joke there”.

This is so pointless, I feel like my eyes are dripping out of my skull.

Jackson follows Mac as he tries to leave and point blank asks him if he plans on asking Zade out himself. He can easily see through Mac's "I don't date performers" rule. Mac tries to wave her off as not being his type, but it's painfully obvious to everyone that she is. Jackson, as usual, continues to do nothing but smile and laugh while Mac broods and trips over himself before stomping away in a temper tantrum.

Later that night, Mac and Tad take dinner at the Employee Dining Room, or EDR. Tad picks a table far from everyone else, and Mac quickly spills the beans on everything that happened with kissing Zade in the rain. Mac demands that Tad swear not to tell anyone and that they're trying to keep their relationship a secret. There's a quick comment about how Sofia is spreading rumors about Zade in revenge for having her ego bruised, but we don't get any details and the chapter just kinda bumps its way to a pointless ending.

The next chapter begins with Zade taking a trip down to McMullan's bar after work with some of the cast and crew. This is once again "a few weeks later", so I'm not even sure how much time has passed. It feels like it must have been a good 6 months since Zade auditioned in Vegas, but almost nothing important has happened in that time.

quote:

Although I didn’t know exactly what to do, I knew that I really liked them both—and for different reasons. Jackson and I agreed on almost anything that came up and everything seemed easy with him. If I had written on a piece of paper all the things I wanted in a guy, well, he would have fit it to a T, except my ideal guy would also have powers.” I had learned from my mom that it’s easier when you are both magick— it’s actually deeply frowned upon for someone like me to end up with a mortal. It’s practically a law for us to not be with our own kind. My mom instantly became an outcast for having me with a mortal. She never cared, though, because she had always been a rebel, and I guess I didn’t really care either.

Check out that awkward phrasing at the end. Somehow it's simultaneously frowned upon for her to end up with a mortal, but it's practically a law for them to not be with their own kind! I think we can all tell the intention here, but we can't even get through regular exposition about magick-users without Lani getting turned around.

quote:

It took a long time before someone explained to me the big deal. I guess the issue is when you “mix” you don’t know if your children will be mortal or “gifted.” Since I could do magick, mom’s “excommunication” was lifted and eventually people in our world forgot and stopped caring. The worry is that if too many of us pair up with mortals, and have mortal children, then we will stop existing. I cared about this on some level but that kind of problem was something I could fret about later. For the moment, I wasn’t marrying anyone so I let those worries be.

Jackson was close to perfect minus the whole “just a mortal situation” but there was just something about him that I just wasn’t sure of just yet, something I hadn’t quite place my finger on. It could just be fear and my lack of ability to want to make a decision. Mac, was also a mortal and we clearly had our differences—but so much passion had sparked between us. I even missed him whenever I wasn’t with him. There was something addictive about his presence that I couldn’t even explain to myself. I had never really missed anyone besides my mom. I have always hated making tough decisions, but usually the tarot was far more helpful than it had been so far, considering that it hadn’t given me a clear-cut winner no matter how I asked it. Its “freewill clause” must have been behind some kind of weird lesson I was supposed to learn.

We're also still getting only the barest hints of the truth behind Zade's world of magick. There doesn't seem to be any kind of in-universe reason for why Zade is being so coy with the reader while simultaneously dropping info casually in the middle of a conversation, and it feels more like a whole chapter's worth of backstory was excised and we're stuck with whatever was left in the text to try and piece together everything.

Also apparently Dela's favorite band is The Monkees and she really loves Peter Tork, and often takes the wisdom of Peter Tork to heart. I just felt like I should slip that in here.

The bar is packed when Zade arrives, full of tourists as well as the regulars. She spots Mac and he winks at her, but seems to make a point of continuing to mingle instead of running over to join her. A guy in his 30s that Zade doesn't know comes up and starts hitting on her; we know this because her narration describes that he's hitting on her, without actually explaining how he came up to her or what he's doing.

quote:

I looked up from my conversation just for a moment and noticed Mac walking over toward us. He looked upset, and yet when he approached us he adjusted his expression to being more relaxed and stuck his hand out to shake the other guy’s hand.

“Mac.” He introduced himself with a quick smile and a firm handshake. The guy shook Mac’s hand, but cocked his head to the side and gave him a brazen look.

“Justin,” he replied while looking at me. “Is this your boyfriend?”

I could tell this was about to get interesting. I looked up at Mac but I didn’t say anything. I guess the idea of competing against more than Jackson did not interest Mac one bit. Mac looked at me for a second as if to ask me what he should say. I stayed silent. He was gonna have to figure this one out on his own. He looked back at Justin. It was a long, uncomfortable silence before Mac finally responded, “Co-worker.”

“Oh, well. That’s great then, but we were talking,” Justin said as he motioned at the two of us and then looked back at me. “Now what was I saying?”

Mac wedged himself between Justin and me before looking directly at me and remarked, “We were about to do shots. We wanted you to join us.” Mac pointed towards several of the techs on his crew who were all milling around in one area of the bar, but they didn’t really look like they were waiting on me to do anything. The look he gave me said he wanted me to come with him. I normally would have wanted to be stubborn in a situation like that and would have said no just to spite him. This time there was something in his face, though, and the look in his eye said I shouldn’t be stubborn. I did give him a look that said I wasn’t thrilled before answering him, “Oh. Um, sure. Shots. Cool.” I nodded. I was already thinking about the speech I would be giving Mac later, about the way he was acting. I started to say goodbye, but Justin—who obviously thought he had some chance he really didn’t have—tried to get me to stay with him.

“Hey, babe, you aren’t gonna leave now, are ya? We were hittin’ it off.” He sounded desperate, and if I had actually been taking his flirtation seriously that would have killed it.

Justin tries to grab Zade's arm and pull her back, but Mac grabs his arm and forces him to let go.

quote:

“Owww! You jerk face! What’s your problem, man?”

Only the harshest of insults are allowed in Handbook for Mortals, coming soon to a theater near you.

Some of the crew and some of Justin's friends close in on either side, about to square off. Tad steps in the middle of the confrontation and informs Justin that he's about to face a good 20 of Mac's coworkers if he decides to turn this into a fight, and the 6'3 electrician Chris steps up to back up his words. Justin turns white, but isn't willing to back down. His friends grab him by the arms and attempt to literally drag him out the door, but Justin breaks free and charges at Mac.

quote:

Considering how intoxicated he appeared, it was impressive how quickly Justin managed to get loose from his friends and reach Mac. Luckily Mac saw Justin charge at him from out of the corner of his eye and, while he didn’t have time to do much, he did have just enough time to get out of the way. I’m pretty sure Mac would have probably preferred to fight, rather than watch Justin basically fight himself. I just stood there wide-eyed and watched as Justin crashed into a metal beam that spanned from floor to ceiling in the main part of the bar. Mac had just happened to be standing in front of the beam so it worked out in Mac’s favor when he sidestepped his would-be attacker. It was pretty impressive how hard Justin hit the metal pole, head on, like a freight train that hit the side of a mountain. His head and body went flying backwards—hard—as he crashed and then hit the ground.

It's much easier for Justin's friends to carry him outside now.

Everyone resumes their conversations and laughter, with Riley sounding disappointed that there wasn't a fight. Zade tunes out the rest of the conversations nearby to listen to Tad and Mac argue; Tad can't believe that Mac would get into a fight with a drunk guy over a girl he's not willing to come out and admit that he's dating, and storms off to the other side of the bar.

Jackson comes in next and tries to lightly scold Mac for taking it upon himself to defend Zade's honor when she should be able to handle himself. She's not sure exactly what Jackson meant to accomplish by this (and neither am I), but it's enough to cause Mac to leave pouting. Zade is knocked out her own head by Pearla, one of the acrobats, trying to get her attention to talk to her.

quote:

“What’s your favorite clothing store?” she asked slowly and purposely, putting emphasis on the word store. I pursed my lips together as I tried to think of any store, but I just wasn’t good at this girl-bonding thing.

“I don’t know. There’s so many to choose from,” I had a plethora of options of stores I could have named but, at that exact moment, I couldn’t think of a single one for some reason. It was a stupid response but it at least bought me a few moments to think of a store, any store. I looked down and noticed a tag on the dress I was wearing, it said “BJ” and somehow I managed to remember that stood for the name on the tag inside the dress, Betsey Johnson. “Betsey Johnson, maybe.”

“I love her, but she doesn’t have stores anymore, you can only buy her stuff online now, which I hate cause I like to try things on first,” Nora, a tall, skinny, blonde who was a dancer in the show said very passionately, as if we were talking about world peace or something.

“That’s right, such a shame. I wonder why that is.” I tried to sound convincing as I shook my head like I really had known that information previously. Nora then continued to talk about her favorite stores and mentioned something called “Free People.” I thought about asking if that was a store or a cause but figured I could just google it later and not sound so uncool. I was relieved that the girls had gone back to talking and had stopped focusing on me.

I needed to get out of the bar and clear my head; I really needed to figure out who and what I wanted. I’m not great at small talk and even worse when my mind is somewhere else. Making excuses of an oncoming migraine, I excused myself from the girls’ conversation so that I could leave before I started banging my head against the table.

50% of the way through the book. Exactly one plot-relevant thing has occurred.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 27, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is the band by any chance called Bloody Gothic Rose 666?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Yes hello I will take a Twilight with less plot and more wish fulfillment great thank you

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also the Jealous Haters Book Club sporking has reached the proper chapter 1 and pointed out something I missed: Charles Spellman is basically David Copperfield with the serial numbers filed off. He's described in such a way that he looks quite similar:

And Copperfield dates Chloe Gosselin, who's 28 years younger than him (a similar age to Lani, and thus downgraded in the book to a similar age to Zade) and bears some similarity to how Sofia is described:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I don't have a lot of experience with YA but I do have a lot of experience with bad, fledgling writers and this is giving me flashbacks to those days. Also, is this book failing some reverse Bechdel test? The men, of which there are plenty, never seem to talk about anything but Zade. Is that just an aspect of romance novels?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, who exactly frowns on muggles and magical magickal people getting together? The same ones that don't give a poo poo about Zane making physics her bitch?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

I don't have a lot of experience with YA but I do have a lot of experience with bad, fledgling writers and this is giving me flashbacks to those days. Also, is this book failing some reverse Bechdel test? The men, of which there are plenty, never seem to talk about anything but Zade. Is that just an aspect of romance novels?

How many female characters are even in the story? It feels like a chaste version of a Brazzers video.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

And Copperfield dates Chloe Gosselin, who's 28 years younger than him (nearly 10 years younger than Lani, and thus downgraded in the book to a similar age to Zade) and bears some similarity to how Sofia is described:

ftfy

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

How many female characters are even in the story? It feels like a chaste version of a Brazzers video.

Zade, Sophia, Lil, Zade's mom, the witch from the parking garage, the girl who got lemonaded, uh, the dancers. I think one of the techs is a girl?

Fat Samurai posted:

So, who exactly frowns on muggles and magical magickal people getting together? The same ones that don't give a poo poo about Zane making physics her bitch?
Yeah, exactly. "We have strict rules on who you screw but nothing on the books about flagrant displays of power in front of hundreds of people multiple times a week."

The problem is that even with Lani's heavy hand there is a kernel of an interesting story here. Lots of ways to take aspects of the story and spin them into something entertaining for the right reasons. It's just so amateurish that it makes the wrong decision at every turn, leaving us with a beautiful train wreck of a best seller.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fat Samurai posted:

From what little I've been able to glean from where we are (and my skimming to the end), it feels like the magick community is just really insular and runs entirely on unwritten rules instead of having a Council or something that makes decrees and executes people. Dela only got excommunicated for having a child with a mortal, and was even allowed back in once Zade demonstrated that she was magickal.

Magick.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

So basically they are wizard baptists

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It reads as if Lani had this complete (well, complete for her) idea of how her magical world works, then completely forgot to actually mention it in the book.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also the Jealous Haters Book Club sporking is so much better than mine. I only wish it didn't move so slowly.

quote:

Again, feel free to seeth, theater folks. Because we know that there is no way on Zod’s green earth that a major professional theater is going to allow someone to waltz in and set up their own equipment without speaking to anyone on the production staff first, and that no theater would forego safety checks, which are required by insurance companies, unions, OSHA…

Plus, where did she get her equipment? The last time we saw her, she was packing her belongings into her car to drive off into her destiny. Was she hauling a semi-trailer that she never bothered to mention, full of lights and poo poo?

Now that I’m thinking of it, how did she even get this audition in the first place? She’d never met Charles Spellman before. How did Zod McGee manage to roll up into Las Vegas and not just get an audition with the most successful act in town, but get an audition that requires the participation of everyone in the entire production and her own private use of the theater, no questions asked? This is so beyond the realm of possibility that I can no longer suspend disbelief. I have sprained my disbelief. I will have to have surgery to repair the tendons in my disbelief. My disbelief is going to require extensive physical therapy. While I’m convalescing from this catastrophic injury to my disbelief, I’ll end up writing a New Adult novel about a twenty-something trying to break into Vegas showbiz, and then it will be adapted into a screenplay and everyone will be like, “Isn’t this just Showgirls?” and I’ll be like, “Shut up! I have blue hair and an IMDB profile!”

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One thing I didn't notice is that according to the IMDB page, Thomas Ian Nichols (Kevin from American Pie) is set to play Tad in the film adaptation that is most definitely still going to happen.

Nichols played the lead in Trailer Park Shark, the awful B-movie that Lani had a minor role in. I'm guessing they met through this film and Lani somehow befriended him. It's not like he's starved for roles. I wonder what she promised him?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

She used her magic on him, duh.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So basically they are wizard baptists

So basically they are baptists

Renegret posted:

It reads as if Lani had this complete (well, complete for her) idea of how her magical world works, then completely forgot to actually mention it in the book.

Lani is really good at forgetting to provide necessary context.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm 99% sure that this book is an unedited first draft that she just wrote by the seat of her pants. There's huge, glaring grammatical and formatting errors like missing italics, repeated words and sentence fragments, and in one case a floating quotation mark accidentally left at the end of a sentence.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

chitoryu12 posted:

quote:

I was not afraid of much, and I was definitely not afraid of an eighteen-year-old girl with a jealousy issue.

“Don’t give me that, you little skank,” the girl spat as her voice got louder. You could visibly see her blood pressure rising. “I saw you batting your eyes.”

Lani has completely forgotten how old Zod is, I'm pretty sure.

chitoryu12 posted:

quote:

His head and body went flying backwards—hard—as he crashed and then hit the ground.

Decapitated by a support pillar. What a shame.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Besesoth posted:

Decapitated by a support pillar. What a shame.
Yeah, I've spent enough time in the schadenfreude thread to know that if you charge into a steel beam you don't bounce off and careen through the air, you just crumple. But it's like the least least believable part of the chapter so whatevs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Fat Samurai posted:

So, who exactly frowns on muggles and magical magickal people getting together?

Me, it's loving gross and I won't stand for it

• Locked thread