Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
trade unions are good because my EBA got me 3 percentage point pay increases a year and I can have a paid day off every two weeks if I like without touching my annual leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

racial homogeneity has a way of doin' that yes

hahahah you said homo

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It doesn't give you common cause with disparate people, it gives you common cause with your fellow tradesmen. Trade Unions have a tendency towards NIMBYism where they don't care about the struggles of people in other industries or trades - so long as they themselves get a fair deal from capital. Labor Federations try to resolve this problem by collectivizing the struggles of trade unions, but labor federations are also prone to in-fighting and fracturing based on self-interest or the federations' own capitulation to capital.

The long-term gradual decline of union representation is a fundamental failure of trade unionism to construct the working class solidarity which is necessary. Granted, even the ability to perform solidarity strikes are illegal under US law - but the longshoremen defy those laws all the time to strike in solidarity with dock workers in foreign countries. American labor in general must be willing to defy anti-labor laws as well.

I can't really comment on US unions but in Australia we dont have a 'local electricians number 24' or whatever they have in the states, instead we have massive groups like the Construction Forestry Mining & Energy Union I'm not sure if that's what you mean by a 'labor federation' but it works pretty well over here

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
also Jack Hammerman is going to be my username one day

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU