Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i regularly rsync single files

I do that to keep the timestamp, the default operation of cp to use the current time is rarely useful or obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

rsync always seems slow to me, i dunno. i appreciate the problem it solves though

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
if you're one of these chucklefucks who sets an ssh port other than 22, you probably already know this, but...

ssh uses -p to specify a different port
scp uses -P to specify a different port

why not the same? gently caress you thats why

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i use port 69 and i put it in my ssh config

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hifi posted:

same but port 42069

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

hifi posted:

nice

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

same but port 42069

v.. very nice

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

same but port 42069

great tip if you want to be sure your port is always forward

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Helianthus Annuus posted:

why not the same? gently caress you thats why
This is the foundation upon which Unix and Linux were created.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
What's the deepest you've ever tunneled? I've gone two because of company IT policy, but that's just a beginning

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

MrMoo posted:

I do that to keep the timestamp, the default operation of cp to use the current time is rarely useful or obvious.

ooooooor you can use cp -a

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

What's the deepest you've ever tunneled? I've gone two because of company IT policy, but that's just a beginning

probably 3 or 4 because i lost track of what i was doing

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
just mount sshfs then dragon-drop in the gui

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

JewKiller 3000 posted:

- then i try "scp -R localdir remote:location", which fails because scp uses -r, even though cp uses -R. there's no other meaning for -R in scp, it just doesn't work

this poo poo is incredibly maddening

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
ssh solves a ton of problems though, so

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Gazpacho posted:

ProxyJump is very acceptable for such environments.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I like ssh op

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gazpacho posted:

VMware horizon onto virtual desktop
RDP to physical desktop
RDP to virtual server
SSH to physical switch

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

I mainly use ssh forwarding to VNC into my home server and gently caress around at work. It's pretty bandwidth intensive actually so I wonder what our IT guy thinks is going on.

I also have a reverse proxy set up from a work VM though so I can do work stuff from home. I guess it evens out.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I like libssh2 a lot, it's a nice simple C library that for the most part just works, works with a lot of different crypto implementations, and is simple to port to new (or old) platforms

it's not without flaws; it has a few type issues that should be fixed but can't for ABI reasons, and a couple abstraction violations that I'll eventually submit my fixes for (once I take care of the necessary paperwork)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Captain Foo posted:

VMware horizon onto virtual desktop
RDP to physical desktop
RDP to virtual server
SSH to physical switch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCtUgKj8lGk&t=79s

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I once had 15,000 hosts in my known hosts file but I had to reimage when my drive died.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Gazpacho posted:

10 or so and reversing out the entire way so that I could ssh direct to the target

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Punkbob posted:

10 or so and reversing out the entire way so that I could ssh direct to the target

good god man use ssh -J or set up ProxyCommandProxyJump in your config

Colonel Taint fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 27, 2017

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

JewKiller 3000 posted:

ssh is fuckin great, but i got some complaints about scp:
- if i say "scp localdir remote:location", scp will log in to the remote machine before erroring out and telling me that localdir is a directory, not a file
- then i try "scp -R localdir remote:location", which fails because scp uses -r, even though cp uses -R. there's no other meaning for -R in scp, it just doesn't work
- if i accidentally type "scp localfile remotehost" and forget a colon at the end, it just silently does a regular local copy with that filename, because i guess that's something i might ever want scp to do?

this fucks me up at least once a week

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:coolfish:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
rdp is much better than ssh

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
using ssh with key auth and an agent is :vince:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
ssh is good

although the compression and cypher part is totally wasted in localhost use, i ssh from my macbook into a linux VM and do X11 forwarding to launch terminals

it's also p. cool that SSH can do arbitrary port forwarding, really helpful for lovely one-poo poo VPNs into some machine

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 27, 2017

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
compression is useful for whitening the plain text prior to encryption. makes it harder to attack than the ascii characters your terminal shows.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

yeah ssh is pretty great i use it errydya ^H^H^H^H^H^H <[[ <[[]133;C;]133;D;0]133\
>
>
> ^c ^c ^c ^c

PuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTT
YPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuT
TYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPu
TTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYP
uTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTY
PuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTT
YPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuT
TYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPuTTYPu

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
Sshtop posting

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gazpacho posted:

VPN -> Join.me -> RDP -> Vsphere client -> Putty - Portforwarded socks proxy on port 8080 -> Firefox

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

cheese-cube posted:

rsync is garbage

tty0
Mar 8, 2015

JewKiller 3000 posted:

- if i say "scp localdir remote:location", scp will log in to the remote machine before erroring out and telling me that localdir is a directory, not a file

yeah, gently caress that. common oversight in command-line programs.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

frustrating. "luckily" most of the systems I mash keys on day-to-day use GNU cp which considers -R and -r synonymous. funnily enough BSD cp treats -r as some historical compatibility feature that I'm too young to recognize, where it's like -R but "does not correctly copy special files, symbolic links or FIFOs".

JewKiller 3000 posted:

- if i accidentally type "scp localfile remotehost" and forget a colon at the end, it just silently does a regular local copy with that filename, because i guess that's something i might ever want scp to do?

this fucks with me every so often and I wonder why it's a feature to begin with

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

one time I accidentally blocked port 22 on ufw and I had to do the console view to go in and fix it

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

tty0 posted:

this fucks with me every so often and I wonder why it's a feature to begin with

sometimes you have a script that calls scp on a bunch of input file names and it's easier than having the brains in the script try to figure out whether the file is local or remote and calling the right cp

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

cheese-cube posted:

rsync is garbage

realsync is needs suiting, op

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

JewKiller 3000 posted:

ssh is fuckin great, but i got some complaints about scp:

posix is bad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

having an ssh client on my phone has saved my rear end a couple times

pretty pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001