Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Decided not to stay up for the semis cause the night sessions this week have ruined my sleep and there's still Nadal/Delpo tonight, but Sloane v Keys is the result I wanted. :) And Coco getting smashed in the process is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The WTA is very bad. It should be disbanded IMO

has this happened yet

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

I have seen a couple of the players trying to knock the clay out of their sneaks, why? Do they know where they're playing or is there an actual reason for this? (Is there an actual reason for this even on clay?)

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Rhymes With Clue posted:

(Is there an actual reason for this even on clay?)

I think this is just to make sure they don't lose any traction from clay getting stuck in the sole.

I'm kind of enjoying this Anderson/Carreno Busta match despite the somewhat subdued atmosphere, particularly now that Anderson's playing well. He was kind of uneven in the first set. Anderson's game is probably better suited to troubling Rafa but neither of them is likely to take more than 10 games to be honest. Hopefully Del Potro wins.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 9, 2017

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Okay and now he just outhit nadal almost purely with backhands

nachos fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 9, 2017

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Nice moth killing from the ball guy (he looks too old to be called a kid).

Del Po crushing the poo poo out of everything.

e: now it's Nadal doing the crushing.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 9, 2017

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

that ballboy looks like he's 33

Nadal looking fully calibrated now

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Nadal has gotten his poo poo together this set. This should be a hell of a match.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Strong Nadal set, and strong HD moth killing. I can't believe people cheered that, so heartless

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Nadal is absolute fire right now. Delpo is shook

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Del Po is getting annihilated now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Delpo looks like he's running on fumes

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

yeah seems like Delpo hit the wall right when Nadal started going nuts

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Nadal now playing like he played in the French.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He is a dope fraud and must die.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

What a dismantling

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

RIP

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

this final is going to be loving brutal

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Our hopes rest with Kevin Anderson

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
Looking forward to Nadal hopefully wrapping up #16. Shame its not #17 then he'd only be one behind Fed but the AusOpen is what it is.

Rooting for Sloane tomorrow as I've always liked her game.

Going to be weird when all the old dominant players on both Tours finally hit a wall/retire. Especially after the ridiculous year Venus has had despite her advanced age. Given the other Men's Semi tonight its obvious both Tours will be chaotic for awhile but its rather enjoyable.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Feels Villeneuve posted:

He is a dope fraud and must die.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

fwiw in high school i worked at a country club with some tennis pros that i think maybe might have like briefly cracked the ATP rankings, so clearly very good players but not like top tier. they all said nadal was a doper, and in a pretty matter of fact way. this would have been like ~2006ish

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

It's nice to see two younger players in the final, particularly two that have been talked about as potential slam winners over the past few years. Feels like tennis, at least women's tennis, is inching forward a little bit tonight.

I hope it's a good one.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

C'mon Keys, no one wants to see Sloane Stephens win something.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Sodium Chloride posted:

C'mon Keys, no one wants to see Sloane Stephens win something.

They're billing it as Offense vs. Defense but to me that sounds like code for Offense vs. Boring

gently caress off Pam, the coaches are trying to watch the match what is wrong with you

Cornflakes fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 9, 2017

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I think offense can be boring too to be honest. Ostapenko bored the crap out of me in the RG final cause her game was so one-note and monotonous. Aggression needs to be measured, otherwise it risks veering into reckless ball-bashing.

Sloane may be defensive-minded but I find her game - the movement and strokes - very aesthetic and enjoyable to watch.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If Sloane wins, every mainstream publication is gonna be calling her Serena 2.0.

Which is ridiculous if for no other reason than having opposite playing styles.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Black Wozniacki is doing what Wozniacki hasn't been able to do :eek:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Stevens is unstoppable right now.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Keys' unforced errors are unstoppable.

She woke up on the wrong side of bed today.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

:rip: Keys

Sloane played okay but Keys was garbage, hitting the ball everywhere but the court.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Glare Seethe posted:

I think offense can be boring too to be honest. Ostapenko bored the crap out of me in the RG final cause her game was so one-note and monotonous. Aggression needs to be measured, otherwise it risks veering into reckless ball-bashing.

Sloane may be defensive-minded but I find her game - the movement and strokes - very aesthetic and enjoyable to watch.

Yeah, I loved watching Ostapenko because I felt like the few incredible winners was worth the monotony and frustration. So to each their own I guess, but Sloane played some great points in this match I will agree

Sodium Chloride posted:

Black Wozniacki is doing what Wozniacki hasn't been able to do :eek:

Gotta find a new nickname

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bageled in a final, what a collapse

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

First slam for Under Armour.

Can't wait for the ads with Sloane and Jordan Spieth

j/k UA would never piss off their golf market with a black woman

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

First slam for Under Armour.

First from a woman. Andy Murray won a slam in UA 2016.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

"It's impossible"

I don't know Sloane, did you watch the loving Super Bowl? 28-3 in the 4th quarter???????????

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sodium Chloride posted:

First from a woman. Andy Murray won a slam in UA 2016.
Muzzah has been so poo poo this year that I completely forgot about that

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

It's remarkable how the US Open consistently finds the worst on-court interviewers. And he said he'd never seen the players sit down with each other after the match - it happened literally two years ago dude.

Sloane. :) She played great the whole tournament. I do wish the women played best-of-five, if not the whole tournament then at least in the semis and final - it wouldn't mess up the schedule for those rounds anyway. Maybe Keys would've swung more freely in the third and made it competitive, and then who knows; sneak the third in a tight tiebreak, start turning it around? There's a different dynamic and feel to best-of-five that is more suitable for a final match. It's a shame we're deprived of it all the time on the women's side.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

The worst was that horrible interlude where they talked to Billie Jean King and Emma Stone about the battle of the sexes movie during the effing match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Thankfully on my Eurosport stream we were spared that particular atrocity.

It reminds me though that last year they (not sure who exactly - ESPN?) experimented with mid-match player interviewers. I remember Coco did one. Did they scrap that this year? It was awful.

• Locked thread