Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Fans of the comics, cartoon, and live-action version with Puddy rejoice--The Tick is here, and he is mighty!!

Cast
  • Peter Serafinowicz as The Tick: titular blue superhero. In this incarnation, he's still chaotic good, but with more of the slightly unhinged edge from the original comics than the childlike goofiness of the previous live-action version and cartoon. He finds the real world a delightful place and takes an almost TV-sitcom-father-like stance against bad things.
  • Griffin Newman as Arthur Everest: the Moth, although he accidentally gives his first name to the police who are questioning him in-costume.* He takes pills because he's nuts because of supervillany; he's got PTSD from having seen The Terror kill his favorite superheroes and his father all at the same time.
  • Valorie Curry as Dot Everest: EMT and medical student, and not the mousy girl from the cartoons. She tries to keep Arthur centered. She isn't helped by the Tick in this regard.
  • Yara Martinez as Ms. Lint: supervillainess with electricity powers which have amusing side-effects.
  • Jackie Earle Haley as The Terror: the supervillain to end all supervillains, he's supposedly dead but probably alive. Arthur is trying to get the world to see that he's still alive and kicking, at the ripe old age of roughly four billion eons old.

There are other superheroes in this short first season, notably Superian (a dime-store Superman) and Overkill (a modern Big Shot, who himself was a spoof of The Punisher).

I've watched the first few episodes, and this is not your father's Tick. But, it's still great. The humor is dark, and they cuss up a storm, which is refreshing. It's like the Deadpool version of Tick. I'm finding myself going back to make sure I don't miss anything, but one thing that I'm not missing, to my surprise, is a constant barrage of self-referential winks and nods to earlier versions of the source material. It all feels really fresh, and there are no moments where people who are being introduced to the Tick through this show will stop and say, "was I supposed to get that joke? What was that? Is that important?"

It's worth checking out if you have Amazon Prime, and it's fun enough to pay for if you don't.

The Tick's costume did change a little from the pilot, but this is lampshaded and handwaved early on, so it's OK.

My favorite quote so far: the police question Arthur about the dead henchmen found around him, all stabbed to death. Arthur is describing the strange person who did it, and he says, "... it was like he was looking for a place to keep his knife... and no place was good enough." I love that for some reason.

Check it out!

* Spoiler:
Thanks to the 28th Amendment to the US Constitution, superheroes can't be outed by authorities.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Haven't had time to watch yet but I loved the pilot last year. One important thing to note is that the six episodes up now are only half of the season. They filmed 12 episodes and the other half will be up at a later time. Probably late this year or early next.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Crammed all the episodes, and I like it! It did feel like it took a long time to get going, but once it did, it was chugging along.

Will write more once I've had time to digest, but there's some potential here, and it doesn't feel like a retread.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

Crammed all the episodes, and I like it! It did feel like it took a long time to get going, but once it did, it was chugging along.

Will write more once I've had time to digest, but there's some potential here, and it doesn't feel like a retread.

I agree 100%.

And also...

CLIFFHANGER!!

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
I had so much fun with this. Glad to know that there are more episodes coming. Really respect how the creator manages to evolve his character to be relevant to the current times.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I think this might be my new favorite show. The writing and style of humor is just so much of what I enjoy. Especially all the little things, like Ms. Lint's lint problem.

My new favorite character might be danger boat or Arthur's step father

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 26, 2017

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, just finished episode 3 and this is definitely good. I was initially worried with the pilot and the superhero team being blinded by weaponized syphilis that this would be some edgelord nonsense like 'The Boys', but thankfully they reeled back on that and have just left things with reasonable dark humor intermixed with the Tick's endless blind enthusiasm. Also quite enjoying The Terror keeping up the usual characterization of super evil grand dad.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This is so much better then the Defenders its almost embarrassing.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Great show... Why the heck did they only put out 5 new episodes!?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I liked it enough, it has promise. I felt like many of the lines fell flat, like they recorded a few takes and picked the best one instead of getting it right. The Terror is a little too menacing for the show, though, like once you have a video who killed the "Justice League" of the universe with chemical weapons, where do you go from there?

I thought Superion was conspiring with The Terror until about the last episode because of the way he was acting so smug about being sure he was dead in the beginning, but I hadn't gotten used to the tone of the show yet. I also think The Tick might be a manifestation of Arthur's childhood idolization of super heroes. It's sort of what the show is leading towards, but at least it's not as obvious as the second episode Fight Club fake-out.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Some speculation based on information from episode six:

Overkill says the suit is meant to deal with alien/"foreign" threats, although who knows if they actually got the translation right this time. In episode 4, when Derek and Author are looking at Miss Lint, the suit keeps saying, repeatedly, "foreign object". So, yeah, Miss Lint, whether she knows it or not, is probably one of this "foreign" element that the suit was built against.

BJPaskoff posted:

I thought Superion was conspiring with The Terror until about the last episode because of the way he was acting so smug about being sure he was dead in the beginning, but I hadn't gotten used to the tone of the show yet. I also think The Tick might be a manifestation of Arthur's childhood idolization of super heroes. It's sort of what the show is leading towards, but at least it's not as obvious as the second episode Fight Club fake-out.

I have a completely off-the-wall bonkers theory. It's probably not true, but on the off-chance it is, I want to have 'called it':

What if the Terror somehow figured out a way to split off Superion's best powers (super-strength and nigh-invulnerability) to weaken him and inadvertently created/empowered the Tick?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 26, 2017

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

Some speculation based on information from episode six:

Overkill says the suit is meant to deal with alien/"foreign" threats, although who knows if they actually got the translation right this time. In episode 4, when Derek and Author are looking at Miss Lint, the suit keeps saying, repeatedly, "foreign object". So, yeah, Miss Lint, whether she knows it or not, is probably one of this "foreign" element that the suit was built against.

I have a completely off-the-wall bonkers theory. It's probably not true, but on the off-chance it is, I want to have 'called it':

What if the Terror somehow figured out a way to split off Superion's best powers (super-strength and nigh-invulnerability) to weaken him and inadvertently created/empowered the Tick?

I thought the suit was saying that specifically about her glass eye. As in, it's a foreign object in her body. I can't connect the dots to how that would be useful to The Terror though.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

I thought the suit was saying that specifically about her glass eye. As in, it's a foreign object in her body. I can't connect the dots to how that would be useful to The Terror though.

I mean...That is the simplest explanation, yes. But it's the only thing the suit says in English, and it does it a bunch of times with no joke behind it. Seems like something that might be important.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BJPaskoff posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what it was doing.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Also, they pretty explicitly indicate that the Tick isn't a figment of Arthur's imagination. He gets worried about this and there are hints at it here and there, but then Dot admits that she sees him, his entire family reacts positively to him, the villains talk about him when Arthur is not around and thus can't be imagining what's going on with whoever the bad people are wherever they are, and... well, he saved a bunch of people. So this won't be a Fight Club thing, and I'm not putting this in a spoiler tag because this is directly addressed pretty quickly in the show.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Tick isn't some manifestation of Arthur's mind that just popped into existence in the last couple of days of Arthur's life.

The Tick is The Tick.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

tarlibone posted:

Also, they pretty explicitly indicate that the Tick isn't a figment of Arthur's imagination. He gets worried about this and there are hints at it here and there, but then Dot admits that she sees him, his entire family reacts positively to him, the villains talk about him when Arthur is not around and thus can't be imagining what's going on with whoever the bad people are wherever they are, and... well, he saved a bunch of people. So this won't be a Fight Club thing, and I'm not putting this in a spoiler tag because this is directly addressed pretty quickly in the show.

I'm only three episodes in, could it be both? Tick is obviously real a few episodes in but there are some moments that have you thinking he's just being imagined by Arthur, like in jail or when he steals the poncho. Plus, Arthur is having visions/nightmares of The Terror. Seems plausible to me that the Tick is very real and tangible, but Arthur is also sometimes imagining him because Arthur's not 100% mentally well.

Good show.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

The Tick isn't some manifestation of Arthur's mind that just popped into existence in the last couple of days of Arthur's life.

The Tick is The Tick.

Superheroes are registered and very well documented, and it sounds like except for Superion, they're mostly of the Iron Man/Batman type where they're really rich and/or really good at science. Except Miss Lint who's like a mutant?

Speaking of Miss Lint, she was great, definitely the best actor of the show. She showed lots of range.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Pellisworth posted:

I'm only three episodes in, could it be both?

It can't be both because the options are 1) Tick is real, and 2) Tick isn't real. The options are mutually exclusive. If Tick is real some of the time, then he's real period. But it becomes crystal clear in the last three episodes. So don't worry, they aren't Fight Club-bing us. That would truly suck rear end. Like, suck homeless man's rear end, after you fed him for 3 days on a steady diet of Taco Bell and White Castle.

Well, I can't argue with that!!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
This is a good show.

The Tick is real. However... I think he was created by the trauma of seeing his dad and the Flag Five killed in front of him. Pretty sure Arthur is a mutant or some kind of Franklin Richards-style powered person. The Tick does better, mentally, when he's near Arthur. He used to be a nightlight, then when he was in danger at the warehouse, he caused the Tick to manifest. (Spoilers for speculation, but I've seen all the episodes that are out and may have let something slip, maybe. Ah, Spoilers, the most First World of all First World Problems!)

Everyone should watch this show. It's neat.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Finished ep 6. CLIFFHANGER!

Show is good and very fun.

The rest of the episodes won't be released until 2018? Bummer.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

tarlibone posted:

It can't be both because the options are 1) Tick is real, and 2) Tick isn't real. The options are mutually exclusive. If Tick is real some of the time, then he's real period. But it becomes crystal clear in the last three episodes. So don't worry, they aren't Fight Club-bing us. That would truly suck rear end. Like, suck homeless man's rear end, after you fed him for 3 days on a steady diet of Taco Bell and White Castle.

I think, with the flashback of Arthur hearing the Tick as a child and the Tick's lack of a past, the suggestion is more that Arthur called him into being or summoned him.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

LostRook posted:

I think, with the flashback of Arthur hearing the Tick as a child and the Tick's lack of a past, the suggestion is more that Arthur called him into being or summoned him.

Yes, I think so to and said as much above.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

LostRook posted:

That's an interesting theory, but it would require Arthur to somehow have called something like the Tick into existence.

It's more likely that the scene in question was something like a daydream or nightmare. Unless I'm remembering wrong, he meets the Tick prior to that flashback being shown.

Or, it could be... a coincidence. Maybe that blue light in his flashback was a blue canary in the outlet by the lightswitch who watches over him. He made a little birdhouse in his soul, if you will.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yes, I think so to and said as much above.

I guess I missed it what with the rambling nature of your comment and spoiler tag on speculation. Sorry about that.

tarlibone posted:

That's an interesting theory, but it would require Arthur to somehow have called something like the Tick into existence.

It's more likely that the scene in question was something like a daydream or nightmare. Unless I'm remembering wrong, he meets the Tick prior to that flashback being shown.

Or, it could be... a coincidence. Maybe that blue light in his flashback was a blue canary in the outlet by the lightswitch who watches over him. He made a little birdhouse in his soul, if you will.

It could be that the Tick existed already and was drawn to Arthur over time and manifested, not simply that Arthur made him. Regardless, it does seem like an odd thing to add.

Given that the Tick's nature is repeatedly referenced and questioned it does seem like the Tick's existence will be something of a long running mystery which makes sense given the "updated" sensibility of the show and how modern television tends to operate.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 27, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This show is the tits, i'm going to make people watch it.

"WHOA, SECRET FACE!"

Overkill is the best.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I know I had found something special after that first fight on the loading dock.

*flicks finger*
*dude goes flying*

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show ruled so hard. I can't wait for more. Serafinowicz is amazing.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Just binged all two and a half hours of it, and yes, this show is amazing!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yeah I don't have a lot to add except that I enjoyed this a lot. Peter Serafinowicz is one of my favorite comedic actors and it's great seeing him get to beat people up and ham it up and so on. I love how Arthur's costume makes him look like such a loving dork when the goggles are on.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah I don't have a lot to add except that I enjoyed this a lot. Peter Serafinowicz is one of my favorite comedic actors and it's great seeing him get to beat people up and ham it up and so on. I love how Arthur's costume makes him look like such a loving dork when the goggles are on.

Designing any superhero costume for live action is always about treading a fine line between accuracy to the comic book version and not looking completely silly. The Tick has the advantage of having a reason for the characters to look silly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

This is a good show.

The Tick is real. However... I think he was created by the trauma of seeing his dad and the Flag Five killed in front of him. Pretty sure Arthur is a mutant or some kind of Franklin Richards-style powered person. The Tick does better, mentally, when he's near Arthur. He used to be a nightlight, then when he was in danger at the warehouse, he caused the Tick to manifest. (Spoilers for speculation, but I've seen all the episodes that are out and may have let something slip, maybe. Ah, Spoilers, the most First World of all First World Problems!)

I think this is the case, but it probably goes further. The Terror is also a manifestation of Arthur's powers. He really did die, but Arthur's insistence that he's actually alive is what brought him back into the world.

I'm surprised with how little Superian's in the show. He's basically off in his own subplot the entire time. Also, what's up with his headaches?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the most fun aspect of the show is that it's basically a gritty reboot of the Tick for everyone except the Tick.

Definitely agree that The Tick is a manifestation of Arthur somehow. Especially since the Terror does that awful "Behind your ear" trick and mocks him for having nothing. It's also fun that the show plays with a different meaning for the word tick.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the most fun aspect of the show is that it's basically a gritty reboot of the Tick for everyone except the Tick.

Definitely agree that The Tick is a manifestation of Arthur somehow. Especially since the Terror does that awful "Behind your ear" trick and mocks him for having nothing. It's also fun that the show plays with a different meaning for the word tick.

The one that took me the longest to pick up is that Arthur literally has a facial tic

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yeah, if anything those goggles look like they're barely in the proper position to me. Almost like they need to meet up in the middle by his nose. All the glass is on the outside of his face, makes him look cross-eyed or something, though this look is definitely a good thing for this show.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

tarlibone posted:

Yeah or maybe something not quite so retarded?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think this is the case, but it probably goes further. The Terror is also a manifestation of Arthur's powers. He really did die, but Arthur's insistence that he's actually alive is what brought him back into the world.

I'm surprised with how little Superian's in the show. He's basically off in his own subplot the entire time. Also, what's up with his headaches?

Ooh! Good point. We'll have to see.

Mayyyybe there's a Sentry thing happening with Superian?

LostRook posted:

I guess I missed it what with the rambling nature of your comment and spoiler tag on speculation. Sorry about that.

No worries, great minds, etc. :)

Internet Alias
Dec 5, 2005
Mirrors are more fun than television.

tarlibone posted:

That might put too fine a point on it. Arthur's not crazy, he's gone sane in a crazy world!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Legin Noslen posted:

Yeah or maybe something not quite so retarded?

The last line of that post is song lyrics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I wasn't expecting much out of this since the trailers were all hot garbage, so this was a real treat. It's a much "straighter" parody than the previous two shows, which is probably why the trailers all fall flat, because they still seem to be trying to pitch it as the same sort of goofy nonsense that they were. It actually seems to be somewhat more faithful to the original comics in terms of tone and feel, although it definitely establishes itself as its own thing. I really appreciate that every incarnation of the Tick is unique and also really good.

• Locked thread