Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

cosmicjim posted:

The average american dudebro is an mma fighter. The average american dudebro also wants the white guy to win.
I have a dudebro friend that watches mma and does crossfit. He predicted Conor in round three.

People actually do cross fit? Do they say, "I do cross fit" as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Bum the Sad posted:

Dude how were you in a room with 12 people who thought the best boxer in the world would lose a boxing match against a non boxer??

9 or so of those people I'm not surprised they pick Conor because they aren't into boxing or MMA much. Calling them casual fans is even a stretch.

My friend who hosted it has trained MMA for 6+ years on/off and has the knowledge of MMA to know better. His Dad use to box for a long time. They bought into all the prefight hype. Conor's bigger, reach advantage, and more power. Floyd hasn't fought someone like him before. They didn't think it would go past round 6 and Conor would KO him. His dad was adamant Conor wouldn't gas either.

They thought Conor won the first 5 or 6 rounds. For them every punch Conor threw that connected it was "Oh he rocked Floyd" as you see Floyd barely affected by any of it.

I should of recorded them watching it, drat it.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://vimeo.com/231328713

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Hell Gem
Good gracious.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Hell Gem
rear end is bodacious.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Digital Jedi posted:

9 or so of those people I'm not surprised they pick Conor because they aren't into boxing or MMA much. Calling them casual fans is even a stretch.

My friend who hosted it has trained MMA for 6+ years on/off and has the knowledge of MMA to know better. His Dad use to box for a long time. They bought into all the prefight hype. Conor's bigger, reach advantage, and more power. Floyd hasn't fought someone like him before. They didn't think it would go past round 6 and Conor would KO him. His dad was adamant Conor wouldn't gas either.

They thought Conor won the first 5 or 6 rounds. For them every punch Conor threw that connected it was "Oh he rocked Floyd" as you see Floyd barely affected by any of it.

I should of recorded them watching it, drat it.

There's a big difference in an mma fan and mma fighter.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Captain Log posted:

People actually do cross fit? Do they say, "I do cross fit" as well?

Yes, and yes. On the rare occasions their spines are sufficiently uninjured for them to speak, they do both these things

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

$100m and this is the coolest thing he can think of to do with it?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Snowman_McK posted:

Yes, and yes. On the rare occasions their spines are sufficiently uninjured for them to speak, they do both these things

Holy God.

Convince them a belt system is required to see who is the best at working out.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

Dude how were you in a room with 12 people who thought the best boxer in the world would lose a boxing match against a non boxer??

The majority of viewers for this event have seen five or less main events of either combat sport. Maybe 80%+ for this one.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Remora posted:

Floyd made a hell of a lot more than $100m and you're just jelly.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Captain Log posted:

Holy God.

Convince them a belt system is required to see who is the best at working out.

They have those. There are crossfit games. You know those retarded workouts we occasionally get to see fighters do? Imagine taking that stupid poo poo and adding the concept of competition. It goes about as well as you're assuming it does.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

"They're all ones!"

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Remora posted:

If I had $100m+ I'd do this at least once.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Digital Jedi posted:

I freely admit I barely understood what was going on for the most part but at one point the announcers were just raving about all these amazing jabs that Conor was throwing and that Floyd couldn't keep up. Then seconds later Floyd just loving drills him in the face repeatedly and they're saying "Mayweather Right, Mayweather Right, McGregor, no sorry Mayweather Right" like they're reading from the phone book.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

can't wait to watch floyd fight long into his 50s

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

The Ninth Layer posted:

The majority of viewers for this event have seen five or less main events of either combat sport. Maybe 80%+ for this one.

It is difficult to remember that in this bubble with all our wrong opinions on many many things the vast majority of us here are the educated ones who have seen dozens to hundreds of events.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Hell Gem

thehappyprince posted:

can't wait to watch floyd fight long into his 50s

LOL this took me a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Well, I think closing this thread at 50 pages is only appropriate.

For everybody who tuned into this thread for the fight who might be interested in more boxing, our thread is over here. We usually have fight threads for the big fights, the next major one is September 16th, a PPV where the two best middleweights in the world will be competing over 4 belts and the lineal title in a fight that should be really amazing.

Top Rank, one of the biggest boxing promotions, has recently made a deal with ESPN, so if you don't have a premium channel like HBO or Showtime and want to catch some fights on free tv, you're in luck for the next few years. We've already had a few good showings on ESPN this year and it's likely we'll get 3 or 4 more before the year is out. The Situasian has a thread for ESPN boxing over here that he called "Boxing on ESPN: Manny Pacquiao vs Jeff Horn tonight" because he's an idiot who lacks foresight, but it will be incidentally be accurate again on November 11.

For general boxing info Bad Left Hook is a decidedly decent site, and they've got a good schedule of upcoming fights they keep updated here.

Hope to see some of you guys in some of those places in the future.

• Locked thread