Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Resident Evil 4 is one of Capcom's greatest successes, it reinvented and evolved the now 21-year old franchise. Gone were the fixed camera angles as the game took on an over-the-shoulder aesthetic which in itself set a standard of excellence other games would follow. Having been in development and going through several changes leading up to its releases, one of RE4's unused prototypes became the beloved Devil May Cry series until we received the final version in January 2005. So successful is this game that it has been re-released and remastered on practically every system and platform. For this LP of the game, I will be playing the UHD version on Steam with an array of mods. For being over 10 years old, this entry in the 'second segment' of the series as I like to call it still stands the test of time. The story mode never gets old. In its simplicity we have a game that is always challenging thanks to great AI, nuanced and dynamic combat, and the gathering of $$$ for the purpose of upgrading your arsenal in a number of ways. Out of the RE4-Rev1-RE5-Rev2-RE6 set of games, Resident Evil 4 easily has the best sound design and level design of that group, and to be honest, of the entire series.

The gameplay is easy to get into and takes time to master. Enemies react in a variety of ways when shot, and their stumbling can cause others around them to stumble, buying you much needed time in your every fight. You have a small inventory at the start of the game in the form of your Attache Case, but you are able to upgrade it over the course of the game so that you can have more dakka. You will bring to bear a full lineup of weapons from handguns to rocket launchers in typical RE fashion, and new to the series at the time, melee combat. When an enemy is shot in their ankle or head, they are opened to a variety of melee from every playable character, and performing these is vital to both survival and fun. The story of the game is simple: the President's daughter has been kidnapped, and the only bad enough dude to save her is Leon S. Kennedy, the rookie cop from Raccoon City. Now a US Government Agent in the aftermath of the incident, he is the only one trusted in the current shakeup to undertake this assignment!

Why am I doing this, why am I LPing a game that has been done five times already? I was asked during a livestream why I had not LP'd either this or RE5. I didn't have a good answer, but when the pieces fell into place I decided I need to do one too because the only games I'm good at are Resident Evil games and I'm never bored of playing them, which is all that matters! I have made these modifications to my game:

#1|HD Retexture Project (http://re4hd.com) - This project seems to have been going on for years. They're still far from finished, but the Village & Castle sections for Leon's story is complete and I'm definitely taking advantage of it.
#2|Film Grain Removal - It hurt my game quality, so I hurt it.
#3|HD Weapons and Inventory - Now everyone can kill in style.
#4|ReShade - To remove blurriness

There are a couple of other things going on (HD Leon) and some that will be added later in the LP when they become relevant.

On February 4, 2013 I started the LP of Resident Evil 6. Joining me for this sixth LP of Resident Evil 4 will be Coolguy & TheLastRoboky. There may be others too but you can be assured of our consistent antics!

Leon S. Kennedy
Chapter 1-1 - The Village [Polsy] [POST]
Chapter 1-2 - The Canyon [Polsy] [POST]
Chapter 1-3 - The Hike [Polsy] [POST]
Chapter 2-1 - The Church [Polsy] [POST]
Chapter 2-2 - The Cabin [Polsy] [POST]
Chapter 2-3 - The Cheese [Polsy] [POST]
Chapter 3-1 - The Castle [Polsy] [POST]
Chapter 3-2 - The Suplex [Polsy] [POST]
Chapter 3-3-4 - The Roundabout [Polsy] [POST]
Chapter 4-1 - The Breakdown [Polsy] [POST]
Chapter 4-2 - The Excavation [Polsy] [POST]
Chapter 4-3 - The Mine [Polsy] [POST]
Chapter 4-4 - The Tower [Polsy] [POST]
Chapter 5-1 - The Island [Polsy] [POST]
Chapter 5-2 - The Dozer [Polsy] [POST]
Chapter 5-3 - The Revolver [Polsy] [POST]
Chapter 5-4 - The Mike [Polsy] [POST]
Chapter 5-5 - The End [Polsy] [POST]

Ada Wong
Separate Ways - Chapter 1 [Polsy] [POST]
Separate Ways - Chapter 2 [Polsy] [POST]
Separate Ways - Chapter 3 [Polsy] [POST]
Separate Ways - Chapter 4 [Polsy] [POST]
Separate Ways - Chapter 5 [Polsy] [POST]

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

(Should have changed the A to a C, but I spent enough time on this already :v:)

By me

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 4, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Chapter 1-1 - The Village [Polsy]

Leon arrives in Spain looking for Ashley Graham, the president's daughter. With no idea what to expect he takes a laid back approach to matters until a crazy man pulls an axe on him and things get serious. Along the way I survive certain death multiple times and a theme quickly establishes that drives a wedge into the group cohesion: my inventory management. All this aside we get introduced to the main enemies of the game, the Ganados, and get several tastes of combat while collecting a lot of shiny things.

I know I made mention of audio desync in later videos turns out the fears were unfounded. Video playback was just being weird. I have all of my first round of recording ready to post/record for and it's all good. The only desync was two cutscenes and it's super easy to fix so whatever :)

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 26, 2017

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Man, it's only been like a couple weeks since I replayed RE4 on Gamecube (and made an attempt at a Professional playthrough that crashed and burned a third of the way through), and now you going in on this game is ensuring I'm going to continue having it on my brain, even when not playing. At least I'll keep learning something new.

Also you and I share a lot of the same Attache Case sorting habits, which I'd say is a positive in contrary to what your co-commentators seem to think.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
*long suffering groans*

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
What the hell, I'm playing though the Wii version right now (which is the best version).

Good timing! This is gonna be great! Oh, and also...

Coolguye posted:

*long suffering groans*

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

If you need an idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYFq4BOcPfE

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It's not a real Resident Evil 4 LP without inventory management.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the "ohhhhh god" from me at 0:11 here is pretty much going to be the take-away from this LP as a whole, i'm pretty sure

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

These objects do an inscrutable dance. Why? We need all these egg, both these fish.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A gun? In a horror game? Forget it, I may need this egg later.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The Punisher's unique effect of hitting 2 enemies per shot is really superfluous and it's a long time before you get the exclusive upgrade, which lets you hit 5, and you have to fully upgrade it for that. It's the weakest handgun and that's an investment better spent anywhere else. Shooting the 15 medallions is an easy 15,000 coin reward. I did not have any room (pun intended) to explain why they were wrongfully indignant about this.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Lunethex posted:

The Punisher's unique effect of hitting 2 enemies per shot is really superfluous and it's a long time before you get the exclusive upgrade, which lets you hit 5, and you have to fully upgrade it for that. It's the weakest handgun and that's an investment better spent anywhere else. Shooting the 15 medallions is an easy 15,000 coin reward. I did not have any room (pun intended) to explain why they were wrongfully indignant about this.

ohhhhh god.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Please play tetris music over any and all inventory management please, thank you.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

All weapons and items are superfluous, violence is self-defeating. The real weakness is in your own heart.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Replace all those eggs, fish, and a couple herbs with hundreds of handgun ammo because no matter how I play the game seems fit to keep giving me more bullets than I am able to expend during a fight.

Well, I look forward even more to Coolguye and LastRoboKy's suffering if that clip is what I can expect nearly every chapter.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Lunethex posted:

If you need an idea

I can already tell this LP is going to be magical. :allears:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I feel like the inventory management is a game unto itself. A game of high blood pressure for Coolguy.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is good and all and I'm into it but uh maybe do me a favour: shelve this and do Resident Evil 7, you fuckers, you maniacs

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Crane Fist posted:

This is good and all and I'm into it but uh maybe do me a favour: shelve this and do Resident Evil 7, you fuckers, you maniacs

Afraid to say it, but Lune is not fond of RE7 in the slightest. Actually honestly not afraid to say it. I'm sure the game has its charms but I've had zero interest in any of it and hearing about it doesn't exactly make me go "Yeah I gotta get in on this"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I have no experience whatsoever with RE7 so I cannot say one way or the other

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Afraid to say it, but Lune is not fond of RE7 in the slightest. Actually honestly not afraid to say it. I'm sure the game has its charms but I've had zero interest in any of it and hearing about it doesn't exactly make me go "Yeah I gotta get in on this"

Well that is quite frankly just absolutely hosed up

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Quicksilver6 posted:

Please play tetris music over any and all inventory management please, thank you.

No, play

Coolguye posted:

"ohhhhh god"

over it.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
aaagh bullet nerds shut up

Coolguye is the kind of person who refuses to eat Captain Crunch because it's not real naval rations

Robo Turnus
Jul 12, 2006

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
This game, well, it owns.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Crane Fist posted:

aaagh bullet nerds shut up

Coolguye is the kind of person who refuses to eat Captain Crunch because it's not real naval rations

i think u posted before I corrected his lies

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I have 4 golden eggs in my inventory already, and I'm only an hour into the game.

Actually, I got 5, but I had to eat one in a pinch.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Crane Fist posted:

Well that is quite frankly just absolutely hosed up

That's what you get for quoting the disappearing text in my Prey LP this is the videogame disrespect timeline boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress... gently caress!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Rarely have I been so owned

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Resident Evil 4: the quest for inventory zen

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hyper OCD Inventory buddies! When I play RE4 I also do the dance of inventory management to pick up and then immediately sell the Punisher.

Inventory woes were a wonderful thing in the old Maxwell Adams LP of RE4, and it paid off wonderfully during the final battle. At the very last moment Maxwell had to rearrange his inventory in order to pick up the Special Rocket Launcher to kill Saddler.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Inventory organization is in fact the true challenge of the game. Or possibly some kind of secret social experiment gone far, far too well. Remember, always organize grenades by color. RGB!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

The alternative thread title is 'survival horror is code for psych evaluation'

Quicksilver6 posted:

Inventory organization is in fact the true challenge of the game. Or possibly some kind of secret social experiment gone far, far too well. Remember, always organize grenades by color. RGB!

Actually no, order by extent of usefulness. GRB.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 27, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Lunethex posted:

The alternative thread title is 'survival horror is code for psych evaluation'
your diagnosis is OCD

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Lunethex posted:

Actually no, order by extent of usefulness. GRB.

Exactly.

The inventory management was a highlight of the game for me; it's like scratching a bug bite, insomuch that it feels really really good to do despite doing nothing to actually help out.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

bman in 2288 posted:

I have 4 golden eggs in my inventory already, and I'm only an hour into the game.

Actually, I got 5, but I had to eat one in a pinch.

hosed up if true

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Tetris Evil was my intro to the series, glad to finally know where the gently caress that first boulder came from.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

the littlest prince posted:

hosed up if true

It is not one of my proudest moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I got RE4 on PC in a sale a while ago, but I can't play it since, for some reason, it goes really really slowly. My machine is powerful enough to run it, but it's just baffling.

• Locked thread