Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Lunethex posted:

The alternative thread title is 'survival horror is code for psych evaluation'

Actually no, order by extent of usefulness. GRB.

... But that's not the colour spectrum! ROY G BIV DAMMIT

E: OCD INVENTORY TETRIS SNIPE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

IronSaber posted:

I got RE4 on PC in a sale a while ago, but I can't play it since, for some reason, it goes really really slowly. My machine is powerful enough to run it, but it's just baffling.

Lock the FPS. What OS btw?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Inventory contact juggling is surprisingly enthralling.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Alright, now we can get to the video where things start going downhill!

Seriously. "Let things fall where they may"? Are you mental? Do I want to be waterboarded?

Chapter 1-2 - The Canyon [Polsy]

We are injected with the horrible mind destroying parasite and our rescue mission turns into a race against time to not only save the damsel in distress but ourselves as well. We meet the iconic Merchant of Resident Evil 4 and Coolguy breaks down almost immediately while Roboky defends my methods. Temporarily. This is my favorite video so far that we've done commentary on (which is only 3 to be fair) because of how it starts off and how it ends with regards to my co-commentary. Who knew fish were such a big deal :v:

Oh also I get mad about the Revelations games because I was tired. I have longplay formats of Rev1 and Rev2. I like Rev1 far more than Rev2 even though it's not as flexible as Rev2 because at least in Rev1 I didn't have to fight 50% instant death enemies and have minimal ammo to do so it's just annoying but this is Resident Evil 4 an amazing game so I won't get into that again. Unless I LP them. Rev1 maintains the humor if anything.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 28, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Lunethex posted:

Seriously. "Let things fall where they may"? Are you mental?
no, just not neurotic.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Coolguye posted:

no, just not neurotic.

Coolguye, I respect the hell out of you, I've been following your LPs with the TimeWarriors and etc. since Dawn of War 2, but you're just wrong.

Of course Lunethex isn't much better. Seriously? Putting the ammo all in one spot under the weapons? That's not where Ammo goes. Ammo goes to the right of the weapon you use it with. That's just where it belongs :colbert:.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

i can feel dropping the weapons where they need to be, but seriously, you do not need to go about organizing ammo, or even health. health especially i would argue in certain ways is counterproductive since if you get hit and need to heal, it's better to take a loving breath and contemplate your situation.

if this were RE6 where you healed in action, okay sure! i can totally get down with that! but i refer you back to my barked "it's PAUSED" objection in the context of RE4.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Coolguye posted:

if this were RE6 where you healed in action, okay sure! i can totally get down with that! but i refer you back to my barked "it's PAUSED" objection in the context of RE4.

Less time in the inventory in general thanks to proper organization and management means less chance of getting distracted in the middle of an engagement, keeps your mind focused on Winning and Victory. RE5/RE6 are fantastic examples of unobstructive inventories but making sure things are where they need to be for ease of access and in terms of usefulness or "need to keep track of" (and making sure things don't take up odd spaces so that picking up small items brings you back to the inventory needlessly) is an RE4 staple :)

It's an endless spiral of pedantry in other words.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 28, 2017

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Thanks for doing an LP of RE4! This game is one of my favorites, and you're all a lot of fun to listen to. :)

Lunethex posted:

Less time in the inventory in general thanks to proper organization and management means less chance of getting distracted in the middle of an engagement, keeps your mind focused on Winning and Victory. RE5/RE6 are fantastic examples of unobstructive inventories but making sure things are where they need to be for ease of access and in terms of usefulness or "need to keep track of" (and making sure things don't take up odd spaces so that picking up small items brings you back to the inventory needlessly) is an RE4 staple :)

It's an endless spiral of pedantry in other words.

Now I've only watched RE6 from TieTuesday's stream of it, but I've thought RE6's inventory was very obstructive because of how many times you have to press buttons just to get to the item or weapon you want to use (also, why was there no dedicated knife button?). With RE4's inventory system, you can always shuffle weapons, grenades or healing items to corners so that you can quickly get to them with just a few button presses.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah I have more than a couple of snide comments about using a drat first aid spray in RE6

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just go play tetris you psychopaths

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

:cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU8UNDVZNQY :coal:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Really liking this so far, even if Coolguy keeps trying to take the focus away from Suitcase Sorting Simulator to shoot zombies.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Lunethex posted:

Lock the FPS. What OS btw?

Windows 7.

Also wow, Coolguye, sorry Lune isn't such a huge inventory slob like you!

Letting things fall where they may. PFAH.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Your inventory management would probably be easier if you sold all those healing items, and you could probably even afford more gun/bomb so you wouldn't need as much healing.

I forget, can you buy grenades in this one?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
You can't buy grenades in this game.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

You can't buy ammo either.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

That's why the real pros never obsessively reload their guns. Gotta get that free mag from each capacity upgrade.

I'm gonna reinstall this game by the fifth update, I just know it.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Resident Evil 4 is the new Deus Ex?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I knew the thread would vindicate me as much as I knew Coolguy would continue to die on this loving hill he's on.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Trick Question posted:

I was going to say that you don't need to because the game gives you more than you'd ever need, but I can't remember if that's true for Professional mode.

Omnicrom posted:

You can't buy ammo either.

I definitely remember ammo being scarce in Pro mode though, but that's more because I don't knife dudes to death nearly as many times as Lunethex apparently does rather than the game being stingy with it

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Every version of the game has different handling of ammo drops and the rules change subtly. The only change ever talked about was the moving of certain items to other locations. I remember when I played on the PS3 version all the ammo on Normal was non-existent. Drops that should have been 10 or 15 were 5 and 10 respectively. It's one thing that deserves to be talked about but I don't think anybody has all the details on all the versions.

Trick Question posted:

Your inventory management would probably be easier if you sold all those healing items, and you could probably even afford more gun/bomb so you wouldn't need as much healing.

Selling Yellow Herbs when your health isn't maxed out is a big no-no, especially on Professional. It's best to wait until this is more relevant in the updates but trust me this will be expounded upon.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

That's why the real pros never obsessively reload their guns. Gotta get that free mag from each capacity upgrade.

I never pay attention to that, the only weapon this matters for is the Magnum. On this version I find I'm never suffocating for bullets unless they're of the Rifle variant (which by the Island they conveniently start starving you of it because it becomes such an important weapon). It's not so ruinous but it's nice to have a case of ammo :shobon:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am extremely disturbed by the wasting of shotgun shells on single enemies, guys on the ground even, come on

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Crane Fist posted:

I am extremely disturbed by the wasting of shotgun shells on single enemies, guys on the ground even, come on

I didn't get a chance to say it but I opted to spend more ammo on the LP because otherwise 'd just never use it. Strictly speaking the most efficient way to beat the game is to shoot everyone in their head while they're down, typically by way of knocking over huge groups with just 1 shell or a kick and this is where the TMP becomes incredible.

But for viewing pleasure (head explosions, gore smears) the Shotgun will be used much more liberally.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, the shotgun seems more like a mook sweeper than a boss killer. Might as well sweep the mooks, right?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

For bosses it's in a weird space for me. I don't know the full technical details on Shotguns in this game but they are probably fantastic for main bosses, the risk being you are so vulnerable while doing it that it's not worth using. In RE5 the Shotguns are boss mutilators because you can always stun them for significant periods of time (which isn't the case with RE4's bosses, they're going to get up and start reacting fast) and run up and just point blank a good 4-5 shots, melee, then get 2 more in. The only time I used a Shotgun against a boss was in Separate Ways because it wasn't the TMP or Blacktail and it worked surprisingly well.

In RE4 they serve an amazing purpose as giving you space (they knock more than what they hit over unlike RE5) and having high chances of blowing heads off quicker than the Handguns or TMP, and when Parasites start showing up, they have a good chance of instantly killing it like the rifle. Ammo quantities determine what best uses are of course.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lunethex posted:

Every version of the game has different handling of ammo drops and the rules change subtly. The only change ever talked about was the moving of certain items to other locations. I remember when I played on the PS3 version all the ammo on Normal was non-existent. Drops that should have been 10 or 15 were 5 and 10 respectively. It's one thing that deserves to be talked about but I don't think anybody has all the details on all the versions.

Yeah I own the GC, Wii, and XBL versions but the only one I really remember is the GC version because I played it to death.

I don't recall any of those being very different though, aside from the Wii version being trivialized because of the controls. Maybe that one had less ammo to compensate for that? That's unlikely though because it still had GameCube controller support (which I used for every subsequent playthrough after beating it once with the wagglestick because it's the only way to play :colbert:)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I knew the thread would vindicate me as much as I knew Coolguy would continue to die on this loving hill he's on.

stand for what's right even if you stand alone :colbert:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

IronSaber posted:

Resident Evil 4 is the new Deus Ex?

It is for me. This is probably the game I've replayed the most in my life right after Chrono Trigger.

I have RE4 for the GC, PS2, PS3, and PC. :<

Coolguye posted:

stand for what's right even if you stand alone :colbert:

(Should have changed the A to a C, but I spent enough time on this already :v:)

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Aug 29, 2017

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

(Should have changed the A to a C, but I spent enough time on this already :v:)

:laffo:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Now all we need is Captain Coolguye saying "Hail... whatever it is the Eldar hail."

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

VolticSurge posted:

Now all we need is Captain Coolguye saying "Hail... whatever it is the Eldar hail."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oh my gentle loving god i am dying

i am undone

this is my fanaticism and my folly on display in one glorious image

loving bravo

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
God bless this loving thread.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I was going to cuss Lunethex out for using Fraps to record in TYOOL2017 but I am just in awe now. God bless this thread.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

What's wrong with it that I apparently haven't kept up on

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lunethex posted:

What's wrong with it that I apparently haven't kept up on

I'm being somewhat hyperbolic but I've had a lot of recording issues when using Fraps and if you mess with the settings OBS can also record losslessly (or nearly so) and is just generally more customizable. It's more a knock on Fraps itself than anyone who uses it. Though I haven't used Fraps in over a year so it could have improved for all I know.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

fraps has not even updated in over a year let alone improved. i still like fraps for its ease of use, and its lossless codec works out of the box with the rest of my tools (virtualdub, avisynth). but its days are numbered as it is known to cause crashes with newer versions of directx so get mileage out of it while you can, basically.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Edmond Dantes posted:

It is for me. This is probably the game I've replayed the most in my life right after Chrono Trigger.

I have RE4 for the GC, PS2, PS3, and PC. :<

I'm actually kind of pissed at myself for missing it in the Capcom sale last weekend. $4.99 for a game I already bought three times before? Bargain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Yeah that CAPCOM sale on Steam was a loving outrageously good steal. RE4, Rev1, RE5, Rev2, RE6 and ALL their DLC (which are for the most part story content, and meaty addons in their own right) for $43.

• Locked thread