Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I missed them all. God drat it :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Glazius posted:

Yeah, the shotgun seems more like a mook sweeper than a boss killer. Might as well sweep the mooks, right?

The best part of the fully upgraded Striker shotgun is "100 ammo capacity! Think of how many boxes I don't have to sort anymore-I mean, the tactical value of not reloading in battle" as the ultimate endgame reward.

One day, I will stick with the the other shotguns. One day. Maybe.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 29, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I got this game on PC for sale a couple weeks ago, gently caress it holds up really drat well

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Section Z posted:

The best part of the fully upgraded Striker shotgun is "100 ammo capacity! Think of how many boxes I don't have to sort anymore-I mean, the tactical value of not reloading in battle" as the ultimate endgame reward.

One day, I will stick with the the other shotguns. One day. Maybe.

I never picked anything but the Riot Gun. I just love that quick aiming and narrow cone so much more than all that ammo.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The Striker is the weakest shotgun, in terms of attack power and definitely in range. The Riot Gun is a straight upgrade from the first Shotgun and thanks to its built-in narrower grouping and higher damage at Exclusive coupled with the three aforementioned qualities (Giving you space, headshotting mens and parasites for one-shot kills) it's a clear victor. Ammo Capacity I find is never an issue. The key points for the Striker, however, are that it takes up the least space of shotguns and its 100 shell capacity means you never carry around extra shells, giving you at least 8-10 squares back. You can probably get the Mine Thrower in your inventory just out of pure excess.

One important detriment to keep in mind is that it also fires from the hip. This doesn't apply to Mouse aiming which is objectively superior to any other form of aiming because mouse aiming is faster but on controllers, aiming up and down is slower and there are no aim sensitivity options. But then again, the Striker is purely a provider of breathing room so :eng101:

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 29, 2017

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
But the max damage stat on the Striker is the highest of the shotguns, according to the stats display.

Am I missing something here?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I prefer the first shotgun because of its classic look. All the guns are pretty good in the end, so aesthetics are important.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Riot Gun at exclusive hits 10.0 and the Striker at max does 12.0, yes, but we get back to effective range and likelihood of what hits and does meaningful damage. I don't know if there is an actual damage fall off for shotguns at a certain range (stagger/knockback sure sucks past effective range) but because you're getting more hits in with the Riot Gun and at a better range it's the better weapon, headshot capability notwithstanding.

The Striker has lower downtime after firing than the other two, so you would think "I'll just run up and point blank people with it and be doing fine" but on Professional, and near the end of the Castle and Island onward that just doesn't fly since enemies have more HP and use more ranged attacks against you and you're putting yourself in serious danger by doing your fighting this way, especially if you run afoul of an armored man or shield bearer. You do not get the Tac Armor on Professional difficulty either.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

It's like how in Doom and Quake the standard shotguns are more effective at longer ranges than their double barrel counterparts, despite the DBs firing double (actually slightly more than double in both games) the amount of shot. You only get the full potential of those weapons if the enemies are in your face or if there happens to be swarms of them at range because the spread is so much higher.

I remember buying the Striker when it first became available in the sewer and noticing most of the buckshot struck the goddamn walls when trying to shoot Verdugo. I immediately reloaded my save because screw that bullshit. Seriously just fire it down an empty corridor and see how many wall strikes you see from that thing it's ridiculous.

Striker sucks and it always sucked :colbert:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
OBS has basically rendered FRAPS pointless. I got my milage out of my FRAPS purchase but it's clear the devs are done with it due to lack of updates.

Shadowplay sucks now and is locked behind an NVidia login requirement. RELive for AMD cards is good I hear.

I've been told that if you're not using OBS that dXtory is good but it's a program supported by a single Japanese dude.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

This took me half an hour of work and I am proud of it because it was an idea that came to me while on the toilet. I'd be glad to remake it if the A became a C, so I'll be sitting on that save :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6lF2b9yfbM

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

This thread's going to go gold before the fifth update, I just know it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Shadowplay sucks now and is locked behind an NVidia login requirement. RELive for AMD cards is good I hear.

It'd be pointless even if it didn't suck since OBS can use the NVIDIA encoder which was the only reason to use Shadowplay in the first place. Weirdly, OBS seems to be better as recording software than streaming software these days (though it's still great for that as well, of course).

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I like to use the Red9 for Normal because of the damage, but I prefer to use the basic handgun in Professional because being able to randomly oneshot mooks saved me a lot of ammo, and the exclusive was available early.

My main memory with the Striker was the animation speed glitch. I did a quick knife swipe that managed to kill Ashley because she couldn't get behind Leon fast enough. I remember this because I haven't saved in a while and lost a lot of progress. :v:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Haha, I remember when I did this. Everyone wanted me to arrange my inventory, and I did. Put everything upside down.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Chapter 1-3 - The Hike [Polsy]

Leon gets back to the Village and makes his way to the church after liberating the Big Cheese of his key. The Church where they're keeping Ashley, however, is locked, and he'll need to travel far and wide for the key. Life on a god drat loop, so he's said. After dodging another insidious paradoxical boulder trap (and hearing two frustrated voices screaming in his head about the Case) Leon gets to the eponymous Lake mentioned in several English-language files written by evil villagers and kills his biggest monster yet!

Also make sure to watch this.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

:allears:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

I wish I could vote 5 a few more times.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
There's a little easter egg in the safe rooms if you listen to the song, you can also recognize a tune from Monster Hunter 1, it's called Serenity.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

This is a pretty amazing LP of Tetris so far Lune, keep it up!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"I'M EFFICIENT!" said as they use rifle ammo on a bird nest and multiple handgun bullets on crates and barrels.

gently caress the time organizing a suitcase concerns. This is the real pain for obsessive item hoarders.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Section Z posted:

"I'M EFFICIENT!" said as they use rifle ammo on a bird nest and multiple handgun bullets on crates and barrels.

gently caress the time organizing a suitcase concerns. This is the real pain for obsessive item hoarders.

Wesker and HUNK don't have knives in The Mercenaries and it's infinitely faster to shoot them, win-win. In RE5 you always shoot containers, in RE6 you can Slide and Shoot depending on how you feel, and RE4 I haven't really gotten down a 'thing' but I lean towards shooting. If there are 2-3 containers near each other then I'll probably knife them.

Using the rifle shot on the bird's nest was because it was the last shot before a full reload. Style points.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's weird how the inexplicable merchant is one of the big breakout hits of this game. I suppose that guy has no coherent reason to exist so they just went nuts with him.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Glazius posted:

It's weird how the inexplicable merchant is one of the big breakout hits of this game. I suppose that guy has no coherent reason to exist so they just went nuts with him.

It's also weird they never used Merchant again, even as a character in Mercenaries mode.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Also what's a shady Australian arms dealer even doing in rural Spain?

I guess we learn later that there's a huge military base not far from there so maybe he's just heading there on foot, sustaining himself with money made by selling and upgrading guns and briefcases to American action hero hotshots.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Mak0rz posted:

Also what's a shady Australian arms dealer even doing in rural Spain?

I guess we learn later that there's a huge military base not far from there so maybe he's just heading there on foot, sustaining himself with money made by selling and upgrading guns and briefcases to American action hero hotshots.

Or he's selling all this poo poo to Leon because the cat knows that Leon is gonna stir up poo poo, causing the evil cult to buy weapons and poo poo from him in bulk to deal with Leon, thus driving the war economy further. Which means more money in his pockets. He's basically a Metal Gear villain.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

VolticSurge posted:

Or he's selling all this poo poo to Leon because the cat knows that Leon is gonna stir up poo poo, causing the evil cult to buy weapons and poo poo from him in bulk to deal with Leon, thus driving the war economy further. Which means more money in his pockets. He's basically a Metal Gear villain.

That makes more sense considering he probably ends up at a net loss from buying jewels and antique beer mugs.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Mak0rz posted:

That makes more sense considering he probably ends up at a net loss from buying jewels and antique beer mugs.

It's the antique beer mugs and jewels that are the real money makers. Have you SEEN this guy's Etsy store?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Wa11y posted:

It's the antique beer mugs and jewels that are the real money makers. Have you SEEN this guy's Etsy store?

Etsy nothing, the dude obviously just coincidentally shows up around museums and jewelry businesses when their curators/procurers walk around a corner to pitch his sales at them.

Bonus: he does it in America so he's making money hand over fist by getting around the currency exchange :v:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

VolticSurge posted:

Between the weapons merchant, the absurd kung-fu that Leon does, and the radio chatter, the developers had to be playing a shitload of Metal Gear Solid when working on this game

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

amigolupus posted:

It's also weird they never used Merchant again, even as a character in Mercenaries mode.

This is the face everyone made when they found that out.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Mak0rz posted:

Given that there aren't any other buyers available the Merchant can underpay Leon and walk away with a handy profit. Especially since the Merchant is paying Leon with a currency that hasn't been used for five years.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

White Coke posted:

Given that there aren't any other buyers available the Merchant can underpay Leon and walk away with a handy profit. Especially since the Merchant is paying Leon with a currency that hasn't been used for five years.

Leon doesn't seem very bright. What are the odds that the merchant is paying him in defaced monopoly money?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

White Coke posted:

Trick Question posted:

Leon doesn't seem very bright. What are the odds that the merchant is paying him in defaced monopoly money?

The fact it's a physical currency is a clever disguise of microtransaction funbux.

Merchant can use whatever currency he wants, Leon's just going to give most of it back to him anyways. But it's easier for both of them to keep track of compared to "It will cost you three costume jewlery studded ale tankards for better reload speed."

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Does Leon need to care about the legitimacy of the money he spends? All he knows is he is getting more dakka out of it and it works!

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
The merchant's a weird and deeply lonely old pirate enthusiast. He's not in this for the money.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
being in it for the experience just makes me respect him more

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Chapter 2-1 - The Church [Polsy]

Leon wakes up in the cleanest cabin for miles and gets back to work. Close to the key needed to open the church and thus save Ashley, he fights his way through the emergent parasites that randomly take hold of otherwise defeated enemies. Rabid guard dogs and a cave troll have nothing on Mister Scott Kennedy and he is able to effectively organize his inventory and secure the ballistics. Coolguy is still wrong fyi. Get settled for 56 more episodes of inane arguing :smuggo:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
oh is this the 56 episode?

awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Pffffhahaha. My roommate did that once; he had an OBS window open and accidentally hit the hotkey to start recording. He didn't notice it until his PC started giving him "hard disk full" errors a day or two later.

• Locked thread