Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fallen Rib

If you turn on Auto-renew, also in the long settings list, it stops notifications about old vehicles for those that can be auto-renewed. When the game runs with obsolescence disabled (like here) that means all vehicles, i.e. no messages. It also means vehicles old enough to be renewed will be that if they enter a depot, but they won't automatically seek one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

Server reset? If we can recommend one, it might be cool to play the Iceland heightmap.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

Megamarm

Reset! Reset! Reset!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

What actually transpires beneath the veil of an event horizon? Decent people shouldn't think too much about that.

Reset complete. Iceland with extra industries.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

Megamarm

voting for Siberia

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm trying a quick solo with FIRS, and I'm having trouble staying solvent - even fully loaded my trains have ~Y1m running costs and Y1.1m profit per year (this is going from coal mine with surplus output into a Steel Furnace, and Iron ore into the same).

- Japan Trains, etc.
- FIRS
- Realistic Accelleration, 4x weight multiplier for freight

Is there simply nothing to be done but restart? Going to join the goon server later today anyway.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

EDIT: wee, on the server and having fun.

So an additional question, is there any way to use waypoints as such for my trucks? I've found a forest/papermill route with trucks that's great, but if my paper trucks arrive before my wood trucks it gets really jammed up.

COOL CORN
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Iím so bad at this game, but I got a three track setup going between farm/steel/factory and just watched it run for like an hour I was proud

Editó the only city I could find to receive goods was like on the other side of the map though

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

Iím so bad at this game, but I got a three track setup going between farm/steel/factory and just watched it run for like an hour I was proud

Editó the only city I could find to receive goods was like on the other side of the map though

Are you building the station as close as you can to the centre of the city? Cities also need to grow to accept goods, so you can feed them with passengers/mail/etc.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

that's exactly where you want it

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Southern Heel posted:

EDIT: wee, on the server and having fun.

So an additional question, is there any way to use waypoints as such for my trucks? I've found a forest/papermill route with trucks that's great, but if my paper trucks arrive before my wood trucks it gets really jammed up.

Just have separate loading and unloading stations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RowboatMan: Freezing time is an old P.I. trick...

I've been away from this game for way too long, what's the key to having a city grow quickly? Just connect every resource to your city that they're demanding, as well as make connections for the other places that share the name (like Sherwood Mill, Sherwood Coal Mine, etc)?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fallen Rib

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've been away from this game for way too long, what's the key to having a city grow quickly? Just connect every resource to your city that they're demanding, as well as make connections for the other places that share the name (like Sherwood Mill, Sherwood Coal Mine, etc)?

If the town doesn't require some specific goods to grow (e.g. food/water in snow/desert climates) it's just about moving things and having frequent service. The most efficient is usually bus lines inside the town, since you can get very frequent service with those. Also take note about the title bar for a town window. If it says (City) after the name it will grow twice as fast as one that doesn't have City status.

If the town does require some goods to grow, in unmodded rules you just need to deliver even a single unit of it every month for it to count. But you definitely need to make sure the deliveries are frequent enough that the "supplied" status isn't lost, since you can lose a whole month or more of potential growth then.

nielsm fucked around with this message at Nov 12, 2017 around 20:52

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I decided to build a tram system between a few towns (1,500 -> 250 -> 200) and literally none of them threw a profit. Are trams some kind of intra-city transport just used to feed large stations?

EDIT: Why is vehicle replacement not working at all in the goon game?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at Nov 13, 2017 around 07:45

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

Megamarm

Southern Heel posted:

I decided to build a tram system between a few towns (1,500 -> 250 -> 200) and literally none of them threw a profit. Are trams some kind of intra-city transport just used to feed large stations?

EDIT: Why is vehicle replacement not working at all in the goon game?

I guess the cost of the tracks are more expensive than the income the tram is producing. Try starting with buses and roads instead

Vehicle replacement works fine. When it comes to trains, sometimes you have to force them to the depot and they will replace automatically

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Also the game is smart enough not to replace trains if the tracks are wrong. Have fun with that one.

Gold gold gold!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK so I've got a nice feeder operation going on in the north in this map - the problem is that my maglev trains just aren't loading fast enough. Even with all seven roads of the station full, the stock of wood never dips below >600. Is there something I'm missing?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I looked at it and it appears that the game is only loading one transferred truck load at the time? Maybe. Sorry but I have no idea how to fix that or if it's a bug.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

Megamarm

So, we're going one more week with Iceland?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

What actually transpires beneath the veil of an event horizon? Decent people shouldn't think too much about that.

Yeah, why not.

Also I reinstalled windows and right-click-to-drag suddenly stopped working, even when in full screen. Any ideas?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Do you use special drivers for your mouse? I have no idea sorry.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RowboatMan: Freezing time is an old P.I. trick...

sincx posted:

Yeah, why not.

Also I reinstalled windows and right-click-to-drag suddenly stopped working, even when in full screen. Any ideas?

Super obscure solution, might not work, but try to right-click and drag, but while holding the right mouse button, hit ESC once.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

It's a problem with the latest Windows 10 "Fall Creators" update (build 1709).

https://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=77042
https://bugs.openttd.org/task/6629

So if you use Windows 10, hold off on updating to "Fall Creators" for now.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I think the server might be dead?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Southern Heel posted:

I think the server might be dead?

Server's been reset. Temperate with FIRS.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

Megamarm

sincx posted:

Server's been reset. Temperate with FIRS.

Good map, but getting a bit tired of it, time for new?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Welp, I always find out about these things too late.

I did push the server past 2050:

(And also 2060...)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Oh oops forgot I had this running. I'll reset tomorrow.

Silento Boborachi
Sep 16, 2007
This poster tries to justify genocide by using facts to prove that whites are inherently better than PoC!

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

I missed playing this with goons. Thanks for hosting. Now I have to re-learn how to play all over again!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Game has been reset.

Please update to OpenTTD 1.7.2-RC1, which fixes a few bugs including the Windows 10 right-click scrolling bug.

Download the latest version here: https://www.openttd.org/en/download-testing

Get the zip file and just extract into your current OpenTTD installation directory (replace all existing files).

sincx fucked around with this message at Dec 16, 2017 around 07:03

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

Megamarm

Are there any christmas maps/GFX/maybe even industries? If so I vote for that next game.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005
The Talking Poodle

Can you update the server with the latest version?

I can't find the old -RC1 code.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

I'm travelling but will be home soon. I'll reset and update the server then.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Good, I ran out of space to expand my spaghetti railways!

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

Megamarm

sincx posted:

I'm travelling but will be home soon. I'll reset and update the server then.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Server has been reset and is now running 1.7.2. Download it here: https://www.openttd.org/en/download-stable

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005
The Talking Poodle

sincx posted:

Server has been reset and is now running 1.7.2. Download it here: https://www.openttd.org/en/download-stable

Iíve got no idea about these new manufacturing chains. Milk?! Farm produce??

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Just wanted to say "Hi"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Hi!

«11 »