Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
On the new server, can you turn the thingy on that doesn't allow trains to do 90° turns on tracks? Or is that something I can set myself?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

sincx posted:

I'm thinking a reset Friday night or Saturday morning. Any objections?

This is what happens when you let me play on a server that doesn't get reset until the year 2280... :v:

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

sincx posted:

I'm thinking a reset Friday night or Saturday morning. Any objections?

Sounds good to me

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’d like Saturday morning reset as my wife is out all evening and I can get my Fat Controller Hat on.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I've been insanely busy with my new job for a while so I haven't played in ages but I think I might give it a shot at some point this week. I miss you guys and our trains!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

sincx posted:

RabbitWizard, your company started losing money all of a sudden. You might want to take a look before it goes bankrupt. I'm not familiar at all with ECS industries, so I'm not sure what happened.

I think I know what happened. I spent over 2m building way too long and stupid tracks, so my interest was way higher than what my trains made.
Kinda glad about it, wanted to start over anyway :)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh man, I really need to get into this, I normally just play OTTD solo. Aside from the server connection details, and a fresh install, do I need anything else?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh man, I really need to get into this, I normally just play OTTD solo. Aside from the server connection details, and a fresh install, do I need anything else?

Nope. Does it all for you assuming you’ve got the correct client version.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
This map is hardcore. Guess I got to start with smaller trains.

Edit: Chilling out worked. My train and 4 boats are running fine and make profit!

RabbitWizard fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 27, 2018

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Pretty much every industry depends on other industries, so I'm glad we can start with such a big loan here! I had to set up a bunch of stuff at the same time in order to start making a profit with a steel mill.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
My sand-pits wont accept Vehicles. But there's a meter 0/xxx vehicles. What gives? :cry:

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
So much thievery in this game :xd:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

serious norman posted:

So much thievery in this game :xd:

I thought we were all striving for the common goal of more trains on the map!

Btw, can 2 (or more) people play a company at the same time?

Oh, and I have the sand problem too. I solved it with just more sand pits.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

RabbitWizard posted:

I thought we were all striving for the common goal of more trains on the map!

Btw, can 2 (or more) people play a company at the same time?

Oh, and I have the sand problem too. I solved it with just more sand pits.

I'm happy to share! Also, transfer money doesn't exist in this game or am I confused`?

e: I have a depot station for iron ore and steel but the transfers doesn't seem to generate money? No yellow "Transfer: xxx $$$"-popups

e2: also several station transfers for passengers

serious norman fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 2, 2018

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Transfer credits is a bookkeeper's lie.

I asked to have them turned off a couple games ago because they really mess with passenger services that mix fast and slow modes, for instance and airline with local buses in each end. The first bus gets an appropriate transfer credits cut, the aircraft gets a gigantic transfer credits cut for moving the passengers a long distance very quickly, and the final bus takes a gigantic loss because it took much longer to get the passengers to the final destination than the average speed over the previous two legs. The sum of all the transfer credits and actual income is correct, compared to the travel time from outset to destination, but the calculation makes it look like the aircraft is earning much more than it actually is, and the buses will look like they're running with a massive loss (because passengers travel in both directions), despite that really just making up for the inflated numbers on the aircraft.
On the other hand, without transfer credits, the buses will be credited the full income of the entire route and the aircraft will only get income for any passengers that have final stop in the airport it lands at. This also seems unfair, but at least it doesn't lead to massively inflated numbers that sort-of lie about what routes are profitable and which aren't.

And yes, no transfer credits make feeder services for one-way goods never have any credited earnings. That's the other disadvantage. I don't think you can change the transfer credits percentage per cargo class.

The goal of transfer credits, at least the way it was originally implemented in TTDPatch, was to make the "All vehicles make at least £10,000 profit a year" goal of the company rating achievable when using feeder services, but CargoDist didn't exist at that time. (And it would never had happened in the patch regardless.)

I'd really like a statistic like "cargo-miles delivered past year" for vehicles, since that would show utilization without being hooked up on profitability calculations. I'm almost tempted to try making a patch for the game...

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

sincx posted:

Nielsm (and myself) were having problems with certain vehicles making massive negative profits in prior games due to something related to transfer credits, so I turned transfer credits off. If anyone knows the fundamental reason as to why that happens, I'd love to know.

nielsm posted:

Transfer credits is a bookkeeper's lie.

I asked to have them turned off a couple games ago because they really mess with passenger services that mix fast and slow modes, for instance and airline with local buses in each end. The first bus gets an appropriate transfer credits cut, the aircraft gets a gigantic transfer credits cut for moving the passengers a long distance very quickly, and the final bus takes a gigantic loss because it took much longer to get the passengers to the final destination than the average speed over the previous two legs. The sum of all the transfer credits and actual income is correct, compared to the travel time from outset to destination, but the calculation makes it look like the aircraft is earning much more than it actually is, and the buses will look like they're running with a massive loss (because passengers travel in both directions), despite that really just making up for the inflated numbers on the aircraft.
On the other hand, without transfer credits, the buses will be credited the full income of the entire route and the aircraft will only get income for any passengers that have final stop in the airport it lands at. This also seems unfair, but at least it doesn't lead to massively inflated numbers that sort-of lie about what routes are profitable and which aren't.

And yes, no transfer credits make feeder services for one-way goods never have any credited earnings. That's the other disadvantage. I don't think you can change the transfer credits percentage per cargo class.

The goal of transfer credits, at least the way it was originally implemented in TTDPatch, was to make the "All vehicles make at least £10,000 profit a year" goal of the company rating achievable when using feeder services, but CargoDist didn't exist at that time. (And it would never had happened in the patch regardless.)

I'd really like a statistic like "cargo-miles delivered past year" for vehicles, since that would show utilization without being hooked up on profitability calculations. I'm almost tempted to try making a patch for the game...

Ok, makes sense to turn it off them. Thanks for the explanation!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well I had to go hack... it was surprisingly easy to set up the build.

It's measuring something now, but I'm not exactly sure how it arrives at those numbers, because it counted something like 372 for delivering 2 passengers 12 tiles. (CT is for cargo-tiles, so should be units of cargo multiplied by distance in tiles.)

Edit: The hard part will probably be making it work with savegames and multiplayer games, without breaking everything.

Edit 2: Made savegames work, it seems, and multiplayer probably doesn't need any changes regardless, since it's based on commands rather than object states. Next is making the statistic more useful, e.g. measure "miles" or "km" rather than tiles, and maybe tons/kg instead of units. And then a change to have performance rating base on this metric instead of unreliable profitability.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 2, 2018

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If anyone wants to test it out, here's a 32 bit Windows build: http://0x0.st/sbU_.zip
It's just based on whatever was on the SVN master today, so it has a bunch of changes since the one currently used on sincx's server. Probably don't use it for anything but testing, it's likely incompatible with everything else.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Is the game lagging a lot or is that just me?

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

RabbitWizard posted:

Is the game lagging a lot or is that just me?

It's

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There's an example of a bus having a yearly "loss" greater than its running cost, despite having delivered over 3000 passenger-tiles of transport, which should usually be plenty for it to turn a regular profit.

By the way, the current development version also does have a few extra stats in the vehicle list (these are not my work):

Summed profit numbers for a group, which at least gives an idea of whether the group (i.e. typically a route) is functional overall.
The Current usage figure seems to be average load percentage of the vehicles in the group, so a cargo route with half the trains on delivery and half returning empty would probably show around 50% most of the time. Actually it's portion of vehicles in the group currently en-route, i.e. not loading/unloading/stopped.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 4, 2018

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

sincx posted:

I imagine the hundreds of hover buses and 3000 km/h vactube trains aren't helping with performance. The game still runs okay on my overclocked Broadwell-E desktop, but my laptops are all lagging.

Are people done with this map? Or a few more days?

I guess I'm partly responsive for that, also I'm on a RPOG laptop from 2011...

I'm pretty done with it at least :)

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

sincx posted:

Are people done with this map? Or a few more days?

As it became unplayable for me, yes. I'm done.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Here's a more improved "cargotiles" patch for OTTD: http://0x0.st/sc9R.zip

I added an additional internal statistic for "potential cargo-tiles transported", and replaced the display of cargo-tiles with one of an Efficiency % instead.

So all vehicles now get measured on how much they could have transported versus how much they actually transported. And I replaced the "min. profit" performance rating component with "min. efficiency", so you get penalized instead for vehicles running empty most of the time, instead of random penalties because of transfer credits.

The way the potential transported gets calculated is a little unreliable right now, and by using "do not load at this station" you can prevent segments from being counted at all, I think this could even be exploited to reliably have vehicles that consistently hit more than 100% efficiency.
So, is this something worth spending more time on? Is it an improvement?

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

nielsm posted:

Here's a more improved "cargotiles" patch for OTTD: http://0x0.st/sc9R.zip

I added an additional internal statistic for "potential cargo-tiles transported", and replaced the display of cargo-tiles with one of an Efficiency % instead.

So all vehicles now get measured on how much they could have transported versus how much they actually transported. And I replaced the "min. profit" performance rating component with "min. efficiency", so you get penalized instead for vehicles running empty most of the time, instead of random penalties because of transfer credits.

The way the potential transported gets calculated is a little unreliable right now, and by using "do not load at this station" you can prevent segments from being counted at all, I think this could even be exploited to reliably have vehicles that consistently hit more than 100% efficiency.
So, is this something worth spending more time on? Is it an improvement?

Neat! I think it would be useful for me at least. It can be difficult getting a good grip over how much (or little) your trains are transporting of their capacity.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

One thing I kind of want to measure is "capacity wasted" by vehicles sitting at a station waiting for load, and not receiving any cargo. (Typically because of too many other vehicles waiting for full load of the same cargo at the same station.) I'm just not sure how to count that. Something with how far it could have gone during that time, if it was running at e.g. 70% of top speed?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I haven't played this in ages but one thing I always liked a lot about TTD were the default graphics. Something about those little British houses gave it a very Postman Pat type of atmosphere. I also know all about the geography of Wales and Cornwall because I played the West Country 90210 map a lot. I never cared much about creating a very efficient transport system and I wouldn't know how to make one of these giant hub stations with signals and whatnot but I liked to imagine I was improving the lives of people in some region.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Shibawanko posted:

I haven't played this in ages but one thing I always liked a lot about TTD were the default graphics. Something about those little British houses gave it a very Postman Pat type of atmosphere. I also know all about the geography of Wales and Cornwall because I played the West Country 90210 map a lot. I never cared much about creating a very efficient transport system and I wouldn't know how to make one of these giant hub stations with signals and whatnot but I liked to imagine I was improving the lives of people in some region.

Just play and do your thing. I don't use the opengfx stuff but the original ttd music/graphics.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
New game tomorrow OP?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm posted:

One thing I kind of want to measure is "capacity wasted" by vehicles sitting at a station waiting for load, and not receiving any cargo. (Typically because of too many other vehicles waiting for full load of the same cargo at the same station.) I'm just not sure how to count that. Something with how far it could have gone during that time, if it was running at e.g. 70% of top speed?

Another new version, now counting ticks waiting for full load at a station, without getting any cargo, as wasted potential. Also replaced measuring traveled distance (for potential transported) when arriving at a station, with measuring distance while traveling. So the efficiency will count down while the vehicle is waiting idle at a station and while running, and count up when it gets paid for cargo delivery. Because traveled distance is measured along the actual track/road/way traveled, but delivered distance is measured as Manhattan-distance between the station signs, this also punishes winding routes compared to straight-line routes.
Right now it's overall very cruel and needs a bunch of tuning.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 10, 2018

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What? There's plenty of trees in Greece :)

Tip for this yellow player:

Start and end your drag of bridges crossing water/canyons/etc on the slope, instead of on flat land. Then you get a flat bridge, instead of one with ramps at both ends. It's cheaper, and lets your trains run faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I built up a company, Cairo Operations, but kind of burnt out on it already. If anyone wants to take it over feel free, I removed the password.