Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The *_frame_burst and *_per_64k_frames settings only throttle player construction, they're effectively meant as anti-griefing tools.

I think the best you could do with mods, without patching the game, would be toggling the tree growth setting on/off at some interval. Or disable natural tree spawning entirely and have a game script do it instead.

Settings wishes:
- Town cargo generation: Linear (makes passenger production in towns less ridiculous)
- Company stations can serve industries with attached neutral stations: Off (forces using ships or aircraft to service oil rigs)
- Scoring end year: 0 (just disable the scoring screen)
- Smooth economy: Off

NewGRFs:
- BSPI (default industries but with stockpiling mechanics, rather advanced playstyle)
- av8
- OpenGFX+ Airports
- eGRVTS 2
- Iron Horse 2
- FISH

Map: 512x512 temperate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

This Mt. Fuji and surrondings scenario seems pretty cool.

https://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=83715

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I've never played on a multiplayer server, so it's basically people building on a common map? And following the rules in the op about not being a jerk.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sulphagnist posted:

I've never played on a multiplayer server, so it's basically people building on a common map? And following the rules in the op about not being a jerk.

Yeah.
You can ignore each other and build around everyone else, or you can compete for the same industries, or you can play multiple players cooperatively in a single company. Only cooperation among multiple companies is limited/difficult to pull off.

corker2k
Feb 22, 2013

I like the sound of the "ship and heli" for oilfields only. I'm one of those people who will try to get train stations to every oilfield. Also, slowing down planes/increasing crash risk?

Basically, I want you to stop me using my usual cash cows because it seems I can't stop myself.

Vord
Oct 27, 2007
Are there any good North America maps that aren't stupid big or old and broken?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Okay my work here is done. You can reset the server now.

:smuggo:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'm pretty much done as well, so feel free to reset it. My hometown is a hell of a cyberpunk sprawl now. :awesomelon:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I made another scenario: https://0x0.st/iQIs.zip

nielsm fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 16, 2020

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 23, 2021

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Can you change the setting so the game pauses when there are no players in companies?

Also, gameplay-tip: The BSPI industry set has secondary industries require power stations in the same town, receiving coal, to have full production. Industries also have internal stockpiles of received cargo, and those stockpiles can get full.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 17, 2020

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I've been trying to get back into this game but I usually feel a bit unsatisfied with the kind of map it generates. I've been trying out a few heightmaps of the Netherlands but they look a bit sparse and unrealistic, is there a good map someone can recommend or a good scenario with NewGRF where the map maker tried to include a lot of detail? Or is there maybe a better map generating algorithm that will include things like large islands or continents instead of just a jumble of water and land like the default ones?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Try something like this:

The important parts are having terrain type not too flat, high or more variety distribution, and a custom sea level of 50% or more. Those settings gave me this, maybe it's too many towns:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, without port forwarding, I guess I can't just play online with a friend as I set my own pc up as a server? I don't really have a problem doing that, just figured I'd ask before I bother. I've never done multiplayer OpenTTD before, and he's never played at all, so I thought he and I could chill out on a private server and I could show him the ropes.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, without port forwarding, I guess I can't just play online with a friend as I set my own pc up as a server? I don't really have a problem doing that, just figured I'd ask before I bother. I've never done multiplayer OpenTTD before, and he's never played at all, so I thought he and I could chill out on a private server and I could show him the ropes.

Yeah, there's no support for NAT punching in OpenTTD, nor support for matchmaking services that can proxy the connection. So yes you need to open the relevant ports, or use a VPN setup.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
This game has been the ultimate lockdown time sink, I'm finally starting to get the hang of it.

I was playing last night and tried to set up a route for valuables. I basically had two towns that were producing valuables, but the banks or whatever weren't in the catchment of my stations, so I used trucks to shuttle between the stations and the banks.

I *think* I ended up with a train going backwards and forwards, taking valuables from town A to town B, and then on the way back from Town B back to Town A. At both stations, I had trucks taking valuables from the station to the bank, and then from the bank back to the station. I think the trains were 'pickup any cargo' and 'transfer' at each station, and then the trucks were all 'pickup any cargo' and 'unload all' at the banks and 'pickup any cargo' and 'transfer' at the stations.

Is this the right way to do it? How should I do it? It didn't seem to be working and I was getting negative transfers of like -£5000 for the trains and -£200 for the trucks :(

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

toiletbrush posted:

This game has been the ultimate lockdown time sink, I'm finally starting to get the hang of it.

I was playing last night and tried to set up a route for valuables. I basically had two towns that were producing valuables, but the banks or whatever weren't in the catchment of my stations, so I used trucks to shuttle between the stations and the banks.

I *think* I ended up with a train going backwards and forwards, taking valuables from town A to town B, and then on the way back from Town B back to Town A. At both stations, I had trucks taking valuables from the station to the bank, and then from the bank back to the station. I think the trains were 'pickup any cargo' and 'transfer' at each station, and then the trucks were all 'pickup any cargo' and 'unload all' at the banks and 'pickup any cargo' and 'transfer' at the stations.

Is this the right way to do it? How should I do it? It didn't seem to be working and I was getting negative transfers of like -£5000 for the trains and -£200 for the trucks :(

I tried to do exactly the same thing, and had exactly the same problem.
I know that's not much help!

I ended up just sticking with traditional, non-complex transport operations afterwards.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

So like this?

Train from A to C, and trucks A-B and C-D, with the banks at the stars?

That setup will only work if you have Cargo Distribution enabled. The problem is that (with default settings) the trains and trucks don't understand where the cargo is coming from and going to, and doesn't know which source and destination of cargo to drop off and which to pick up. So they will drop off 100 bags of valuables and pick the same 100 bags up right away again, leaving the 150 bags from the other town alone. So they will keep moving the same few units of cargo back and forth and never be able to get a payment for delivery.

Either enable cargodist, or make the more complicated setup:

Here, each town has gotten an A and A' station, one is the drop-off station and the other the pick-up station.
At station A, the train drops off valuables from D (via C), and the trucks pick up those valuables at A.
At station A', the trucks drop off valuables from B, and the train picks up those valuables.

So for the train the orders would look like:
Go to A (transfer cargo and leave empty)
Go to A' (no unloading)
Go to C (transfer cargo and leave empty)
Go to C' (no unloading)

And for the trucks the orders would look like:
Go to B
Go to A' (transfer cargo and leave empty)
Go to A (no unloading)

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
That makes sense!

I had a blast playing on the map, too - but the towns are so big now it's crazy. How often is the map refreshed?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Thanks nielsm, yeah that was my setup, that really helps. I had cargodist set to manual for cargo and valuables.

I've been watching a Master Hellish lets-play on a massive UK map as going-to-sleep fodder, and one thing he mentioned was something about having multiple trains/stations supplying or receiving the same cargo (can't remember which, sorry) on the same line being potentially problematic...do you know what he was talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

toiletbrush posted:

Thanks nielsm, yeah that was my setup, that really helps. I had cargodist set to manual for cargo and valuables.

I've been watching a Master Hellish lets-play on a massive UK map as going-to-sleep fodder, and one thing he mentioned was something about having multiple trains/stations supplying or receiving the same cargo (can't remember which, sorry) on the same line being potentially problematic...do you know what he was talking about?

I think you're referring to supply and demand.

Say you're transporting logs to a sawmill - that's great! But if you get to the point where you've got a good, steady, constant supply of logs going to that sawmill then their value will go down. The solution would be to transport goods generated from said logs from that sawmill to a town.

But then say you have goods from all over the place going to that same town - their value is going to drop, too