Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Don't have any map preferences besides more industries next time. Of a custom map doesn't have industries I believe that can be easily fixed in the scenario editor.

Also personally I'm not a huge fan of having 999 vehicles to choose from but that might just be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Well poo poo I used to love railway tycoon and I have a bit of spare time now so I'm going to download this. I think I downloaded it one time years ago and never actually ended up trying it.

so the first thing I see after joining the server is this.

Wow... :stare:

lordy this is confusing I'm going to play singleplayer and follow the tutorials first on the wiki to learn how to play.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 7, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Transport Tycoon air travel experience.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

nielsm posted:

The Transport Tycoon air travel experience.
It's a glorious sight to behold. Good thing plane crashes are turned off.

mynameisbatman posted:

I had to deliberately buy and crash four trains into four others with hundreds of people on board each one because of a mistake with upgrading tracks. They got stuck and I couldn't replace the track back to the correct type so it was the only way. Never upgrade tracks when the trains are running on it.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

mynameisbatman posted:

Well poo poo I used to love railway tycoon and I have a bit of spare time now so I'm going to download this. I think I downloaded it one time years ago and never actually ended up trying it.

lordy this is confusing I'm going to play singleplayer and follow the tutorials first on the wiki to learn how to play.
Looks like 8 of my 12 oil tankers got pulverized in my absence :gonk: thanks Sakura.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

mynameisbatman posted:

ideally you can hop on shortly after the map resets so you can just talk to the goons. folks are friendly and happy to get you off on the right foot. there's relatively little incentive to compete with each other in this game since actually putting a competitor away is so incredibly difficult and painful it's just easier to tap other markets.

Atown
Aug 10, 2011
Map reset when?

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Coolguye posted:

ideally you can hop on shortly after the map resets so you can just talk to the goons. folks are friendly and happy to get you off on the right foot. there's relatively little incentive to compete with each other in this game since actually putting a competitor away is so incredibly difficult and painful it's just easier to tap other markets.

I just played a bit and made bus lines and train lines and airports. my trains and buses were making money but my airport was losing a lot and I have no idea why. I tried to pick 2 towns far apart with a lot of people.

Also I find it so confusing about how to make lines with multiple trains, I'm going to try to read the wiki and find out. I don't really want to come and gently caress up the map on the server before I really know how to play.

EDIT: omg I left my game running for the past few hours, and I come back and I'm 5 million in debt. hahahah. yeah I really need to work this poo poo out.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 23, 2021

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Oh I didn't realise there was an in-game tutorial, I'll try it out now. This feels like a great game that I can kinda idle and do from time to time while doing other stuff.

Yeah I'll do the tutorial and then I'll join the server and play, I'm starting to get the hang of it. I'm about to attempt to get 2 trains running on a single line. I just hope I can work out the signals and stuff. Also I totally vote for a desert map next time. The toyland thing is loving awful.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Block signals are the bees knees.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

What the gently caress I just noticed my train was stuck on unloading and the oil well it was next to has dissapeared. Is this actually a thing?

I was losing like a poo poo ton of money cos I was tabbed out watching youtube and I realised the oil well was gone. I was so confused.

EDIT: So I just joined the server and like found these huge 4 cities kinda joined together and made a bus route with 2 buses servicing all of them, I'll see if I make any money, I can't seem to see any resources or processing plants anywhere though? or am I just blind.

EDITEDIT: nevermind it's the map.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 8, 2017

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Literally the most fun I've had ever being drunk at 5am and playing trains with people. This game rules.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This map is so relaxing after the Japanese horror lag. :)

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

What is up with the hills on this map. :stare:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SupSuper posted:

What is up with the hills on this map. :stare:

I settled at a town called Mountain View, at sea level, with no mountains particularly close.

Keeping an overview of my late but steadily growing empire:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Finally got a stable income and I quit the game to fix the audio buzz in my headset and when I came back my company password is wrong rip :ohdear:

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I just came home to find 6million dollars in cash. gently caress yeah trains! Everyone has been so helpful learning but I had to blast and destroy a lot of my trains and tracks to get to this point.

gently caress I JUST BLASTED WATER BY ACCIDENT AND IT COST ME 4 MILLION. RIP DINHEIRO.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 8, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Operation gently caress THE OCEAN, I'VE GOT TRAINS:

Just another staple of late-game TT.

Edit: OH YES!

nielsm fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 8, 2017

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

nielsm posted:

Operation gently caress THE OCEAN, I'VE GOT TRAINS:
Operation gently caress THE TRAINS, I GOT OCEAN:

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah I misread when the game had started and ended up getting bankrupted for it since I misinterpreted the inflated costs. Whoops! Next game maybe turn them off and start us in like 2000 or something so we have some time to play with the cool vacuum tube sets you put in.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

that was the hover bus and both of us know that

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For mynameisbatman/fridge:

At (1) there is a sharp bend, just one half-tile long. Trains have to slow down to pass that. It's better to flatten it out like this:

But best to alter the terrain like this:

To be exact, a bend can slow the train down, but an S-curve will not.

At (2), (3), and (4) there are potentially bad signals. The basic rule for path signals is: Do not place a signal if a train waiting at it could block a switch point. This is being violated here.
The general way to construct a ro-ro station with path signals has 3 sets of signals:

The entry signal is the last signal on the main line before the station area. The station area includes all switching that lets a train choose a platform, and all switching to lead it back onto the main line. The purpose of the entry signal is to protect the entry points until the train can get a path into its destination platform. There should never be signals between the entry signal on the main line and the end of the platform.
The platform exit signals are placed exactly at the exit end of each platform. Their purpose is to mark end end of a pathway into the station, and prevent trains from leaving the station without reserving a path through the exit points onto the main line. It can be an advantage to have some extra acceleration room before the track leaving the platform merges with any other tracks, but the platform exit signal should still be as early as possible after the platform, to let the next train in faster.
The station exit signal marks the end of the station area. It's placed on the main line leaving the station, sufficiently far onto the line that a train that ends up waiting at it don't block any other exits from the station onto other lines that may leave in different directions.

Note all these are the same physical type of signal, all of them here are one-way path signals. It's only their logical purpose I'm naming here.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 9, 2017

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

do you cats want a discord for this or something? making a new one is probably a bad idea since there's no way anyone will pay attention to it after joining. i'd be happy to offer mine, we've got a rumpus room for game talk to begin with.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

poo poo I'm proud of myself, I couldn't have done it without all your help. I think the lucky moustache helped the company out a lot.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

YES.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

gently caress me I built these joined tracks all going from 3 different sets of oil wells to a refinery and the refinery decides to disappear.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'm fairly proud of coming second in that game, thought I built some good railways (might have helped that I dropped my steam train gimmick for this one, given it was already the 90s when I joined). Here's some stuff:

My initial network began with a coal line, but then I noticed some fairly productive forests, funded a sawmill by the coal mine and connected the forests into the network, as well as a goods line to Alexandria. Speaking of that town, I also built a tram line there and in Ridgeway, and connected the two towns with hovercraft - their population exploded.

This line's probably my pride and joy. Found two iron ore mines next to each other, connected them to a steel mill some way away, then funded a factory next to the ore mines so I could get paid twice for the same line. Then I built a little spur to deliver the goods to Geneva. This line took some ridiculous mountain-busting, it should be noted - cost about £10m to build, and another couple of million for the factory, but worth every penny.

And speaking of mountain busting... By this point I had ridiculous money and could completely restructure a mountain to connect this forest and sawmill.

My score when I put the game down for the night (I ended up buying out Coolguye, mostly for the extra vehicles and stations), as well as futzing around with the crazy number of oil wells that started spawning towards the end.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Man these martian train GRF's are fuckin weird.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

so for the first half of the game, sincx and i had a great working relationship. he trucked wood into a paper mill, and i carted away the paper, made the goods, and delivered the goods.

and then, SOMEONE decided that he was not only going to move paper mills, he was going to leave his derelict monorail infrastructure around the paper mill so i couldn't easily replace it.

end result:

if you find me stealing your wood, blame sincx.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Why the gently caress you stealing my wood man :colbert:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

also i have inaugurated 2 airports, named respectively "bigger than red's airport" and "still bigger than red's airport"

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID TO DESERVE THIS

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

My airports are philanthropic, they're making cities grow :angel:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

This has been really fun and I'm doing really well but I think I'm going to play single player for a bit because the modded trains and tracks confuse the poo poo out of me. I'm going to start at the start of the century and see how good I can do.