Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

sincx posted:

Yep it's down. I wonder what killed it this time. I assume people want a new map instead of restoring from the last autosave?
It was lagging a bunch when I tried to resume playing earlier today. Especially around Hong Kong. Yeah I'd be fine with a new map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atown
Aug 10, 2011
New map!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 23, 2021

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

sincx posted:

New map is up. All of you who wanted more industries should be quite happy.
I knew what it would be like before I even started up the game. Welp. A big gently caress you to anyone planning to make long train lines. :v:

The vehicle limit is very low. My trucking company has abruptly stopped before it even took off properly. :(

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Sep 28, 2017

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oil and then moving goods a long distance seems to be the right choice.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There's a reason why it's called black gold. :homebrew:

sincx posted:

The vehicle limit should be 500 trains/200 road vehicles/200 planes/10 ships. What limit are you seeing?
I reached the road limit almost right away. :(

But I scrapped it all and changed it into trains with just a few remaining trucks instead. I realized it might lag the server unnecessarily if I went with the hundreds and hundreds of trucks I would need. Breaking the 500 mark wouldn't have taken long.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Whoops!

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Could be worse.

Can you spot when someones goods station stopped accepting goods as the city randomly removed the required buildings?

I fixed my steelmill station, it's not pretty or the most optimal by any stretch but it's much better than what it used to be like.

Old station design currently used at my sawmill. Like this except congested as all hells.

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 29, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

What happened to my company and my stuff? Did it all disappear?. Please don't tell me I somehow deleted it by accident while falling in and out of sleep on my keyboard right now.

It was called fraud something. Seriously though what the hell might have happened?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mynameisbatman posted:

What happened to my company and my stuff? Did it all disappear?. Please don't tell me I somehow deleted it by accident while falling in and out of sleep on my keyboard right now.

It was called fraud something. Seriously though what the hell might have happened?

It seems to have been running at a loss and gone too far into debt. I was offered to buy it out.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Oh right thanks for the information! I'm sad I set up so many bus routes and just got my airplane business going for it to disappear.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Poil isn't giving his steel mill the attention it needs so I'll help it get some of the pent-up production away instead.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Is it new Map?? I was told sat

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

serious norman posted:

Is it new Map?? I was told sat

sincx reset yesterday since the previous one was already more or less used up, and too difficult.
He's doing another reset some time Saturday or Sunday again.

sincx posted:

I will probably reset Saturday night or Sunday morning (US time)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

nielsm posted:

Poil isn't giving his steel mill the attention it needs so I'll help it get some of the pent-up production away instead.

Cool, the surplus at the station has halved. :toot:

Feel free to blow your own ore all over too.

Atown
Aug 10, 2011

sincx posted:

I will probably reset Saturday night or Sunday morning (US time)

My vote is for either:

1) hard map with symmetric cargodist for passengers turned on this time.
2) truckin simulator (cap trains at 10)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Trucks aren't difficult to use, just more tedious to manage and slower to take off. Easier to set up though.

Atown
Aug 10, 2011
Am I doing it right?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I've seen that before. Certain maps have some stuff going on where towns should shrink if their passengers are not being properly utilized, to keep 4 bus stations from creating a megalopolis (the way I always do when I'm playing). This is well and good until the town, for whatever reason, never gets out of the shrinking habit and completely fucks the player with pretty much no recourse.

Short version: its bad op

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
I think the problem isn't really that they're "shrinking" but that they're "compressing".
The growth algorithm normally builds from the center and slowly grows from there. However, some of the scenario cities start out very thinly spread out instead:

So once you supply them and they start growing organically again, the algorithm compresses them back and all the stuff at the edges goes away. The safest bet seems to be placing stations at city centers.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 30, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I had some money to spare so I made an island lair.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Poil posted:

I had some money to spare so I made an island lair.

That's rad as hell.

I've been playing single player this past few days to get used to making goods chains from factories to towns and stuff. It's still confusing cos I sometimes put a truck stop in a town and it won't accept goods at all. I don't understand what the requirements are.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mynameisbatman posted:

I've been playing single player this past few days to get used to making goods chains from factories to towns and stuff. It's still confusing cos I sometimes put a truck stop in a town and it won't accept goods at all. I don't understand what the requirements are.

First obviously make sure you're building lorry stops and not bus stops. Then turn on the catchment area highlighting if you haven't already, it's a good help.

With the catchment area marking on, you can see what buildings the station will actually cover.

Bus and truck stations have a 3 tile radius around them.
Train stations have a 4 tile radius around them.
Ship docks have a 5 tile radius.
Airports vary by size, from 4 for the small airports and heliports, up to 10 for the largest intercontinental airport.
(In original TTD, all stations have a 4 tile catchment radius. You can switch between that and the dynamic ones with a game setting in OpenTTD.)

Anyway, catchment area is important because what cargo a station accepts and what will travel from it depends on what buildings are inside the catchment area.
You can see cargo acceptance with the information tool:

If you click a building with the information tool you get this box:

Notice the last part, "Cargo accepted". This house accepts 4/8 passengers and 1/8 mail. That's "eights", and you need at least 8/8 (i.e. a whole) level of cargo acceptance within a catchment area for the station to actually accept that cargo. So if you have two of those houses inside your catchment area, you can accept 8/8 passengers, but only 2/8 mail. But if you had 8 of those houses in the catchment area, you'd get 32/8 passengers and 8/8 mail, so both passengers and mail accepted.

Some other buildings in the same town:

And now look at the "accepts" and "supplies" lines in the station building window when I place the truck stop in different locations:

See how even just a few houses can supply mail, while they may still not be enough to accept it? And you really need to cover a bunch of shops/offices for it to begin accepting goods.
So make sure your stations cover an appropriate area.

Another interesting bit: Some industries actually accept passengers:

Here's building a train station in two different locations:

The industry will typically accept its input cargo and deliver its output cargo even if you just cover a single tile of it, but sometimes there's a bonus to covering more of it. But it will still not produce passengers, only take them in. (Why do all these people travel to the steel mill and never come back? Better not ask too much.)

Edit: Also if you just want to experiment and do crazy things, you can press Ctrl+Alt+C to bring up a cheat menu. The main functions are giving yourself money, and changing the date. Obviously only works in single-player, and clicking any of the buttons in it will put a permanent "player has cheated" mark on the save file.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 30, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Yeah that explains exactly why it wasn't accepting goods. Thank you. I built the station close to the outskirts of the city and it was only passengers and mail. I have the grid thing turned on now so I can see exactly what I'm doing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Some more effortposting mostly about my own re-learning of making efficient stations. Necessary to steal Poil's production.

This is my current approach:

(1) is the entry signal, immediately before the main track fans into individual platform entry tracks. It's a one-way signal.
(2) are platform entry tracks. They don't need to be quite as long as this, but should be at least half the length of a full train, with no switches or signals. (Except for the (3) row of signals.) The purpose is to let the trains clear the main track as quickly as possible without having to slow down for bends or begin braking on the platform. You don't want a stopping train to slow down the next train arriving.
(3) is a reverse row of signals to mark the platform end for trains entering from depot. These are plain path signals that permit entry from reverse. Without these, trains entering in reverse from the depot will reserve a path all the way to the entry signal and block entry of all other trains into the station. See also (6).
(4) are platform exit signals, also plain path signals.
(5) are platform exit tracks, should be long enough to fit a full length train plus a bit. Can have extra signals, just make sure they can be passed from behind.
(6) is the depot. It's placed after the station. Trains arriving from the main line can pass through the station and enter the depot, and trains leaving the depot can run into a platform at the station and begin work. The depot only has access to some tracks, I'm not sure if that's an advantage or not. Before the depot there is also, for each track it leads in to, a long enough parking track for a full train to sit on. Trains entering or leaving a depot travel at max 61 km/h, so you want the train to have fully left the depot before it can potentially start blocking the station itself. Therefore, enough track for the train to leave the depot and wait at a signal to really enter the station area.
(7) is the station exit signal, the first one-way signal since the entry signal. It's okay to place this just after all platform exit tracks have merged, since trains passing this should not have to stop, but just accelerate to their full speed and clear the exit ASAP. This station exit isn't entirely optimal since the tracks closer to the mine (top right) have a longer way out. It's better to build the exit as a symmetrical fan-in like the entry is.
(8) is just a reminder to make wide turns so trains can leave the station and keep going on the main line at full speed. Some numbers here.

(Of course I can't actually shut down Poil's profitability by doing this, due to the way cargo is distributed between stations. His station rating will just fall to the point where he gets about as much cargo as he can handle, and I get the rest.)

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

mynameisbatman posted:

Yeah that explains exactly why it wasn't accepting goods. Thank you. I built the station close to the outskirts of the city and it was only passengers and mail. I have the grid thing turned on now so I can see exactly what I'm doing.
Yeah usually the goods-accepting buildings are near the center (where the town name is). Also note that they only start showing up in towns after a certain size, so aim for big towns.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Uh please make sure your track is actually connected properly before buying some huge trains and immediately leaving the game...

Looking at this makes me sad :(

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

nielsm posted:

Uh please make sure your track is actually connected properly before buying some huge trains and immediately leaving the game...

Lol

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I played the original Transport Tycoon alot when it came out, then TTD, and a few years ago a long spate with OpenTTD. The problem I have is that I now know the most efficient junction design, the most efficient station design and simply cannot run out of money before the timer elapses. Is there any fun left to be gleaned?

EDIT: simply increasing running costs doesn't work, because it just encourages the same principles as above, I've done lots of fashion-TTD with 'accurate' stations, don't particular enjoy road, ship or air transport.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 1, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Well I've also had the "problem" of no longer having fun with Transport Tycoon for many years, but playing it online like this somehow makes it all more interesting. Perhaps because someone else is setting up the scenario, perhaps because I'm not just playing alone in a world or against terrible AI players.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

This is basically all of my nightmares. Goddamn transport tycoon PTSD.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I hate to be a bitch but come on man it's not cool to come and run your trains straight through my road like that.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 1, 2017

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Southern Heel posted:

I played the original Transport Tycoon alot when it came out, then TTD, and a few years ago a long spate with OpenTTD. The problem I have is that I now know the most efficient junction design, the most efficient station design and simply cannot run out of money before the timer elapses. Is there any fun left to be gleaned?

EDIT: simply increasing running costs doesn't work, because it just encourages the same principles as above, I've done lots of fashion-TTD with 'accurate' stations, don't particular enjoy road, ship or air transport.
Making a profit isn't a challenge without a crazy amount of mods, and then it's not fun anymore. You can try out-profitting the other players, or come up with some dumb gimmick and make it sustainable somehow.

nielsm posted:

This kind of poo poo happens to me all the time:

Hmm why are all my trains bottled up? :iiam:

Oh. :ms:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mynameisbatman posted:

I hate to be a bitch but come on man it's not cool to come and run your trains straight through my road like that.

It's signalled properly so the crossings block road traffic well before a train zooms past. It's responsibly designed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

nielsm posted:

It's signalled properly so the crossings block road traffic well before a train zooms past. It's responsibly designed!

Oh really? I turned it into a bridge but if that's true then I'm sorry, I assumed it was someone trying to smash my trucks. :smith: