Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Well poo poo I used to love railway tycoon and I have a bit of spare time now so I'm going to download this. I think I downloaded it one time years ago and never actually ended up trying it.

so the first thing I see after joining the server is this.

Wow... :stare:

lordy this is confusing I'm going to play singleplayer and follow the tutorials first on the wiki to learn how to play.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Coolguye posted:

ideally you can hop on shortly after the map resets so you can just talk to the goons. folks are friendly and happy to get you off on the right foot. there's relatively little incentive to compete with each other in this game since actually putting a competitor away is so incredibly difficult and painful it's just easier to tap other markets.

I just played a bit and made bus lines and train lines and airports. my trains and buses were making money but my airport was losing a lot and I have no idea why. I tried to pick 2 towns far apart with a lot of people.

Also I find it so confusing about how to make lines with multiple trains, I'm going to try to read the wiki and find out. I don't really want to come and gently caress up the map on the server before I really know how to play.

EDIT: omg I left my game running for the past few hours, and I come back and I'm 5 million in debt. hahahah. yeah I really need to work this poo poo out.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Oh I didn't realise there was an in-game tutorial, I'll try it out now. This feels like a great game that I can kinda idle and do from time to time while doing other stuff.

Yeah I'll do the tutorial and then I'll join the server and play, I'm starting to get the hang of it. I'm about to attempt to get 2 trains running on a single line. I just hope I can work out the signals and stuff. Also I totally vote for a desert map next time. The toyland thing is loving awful.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

What the gently caress I just noticed my train was stuck on unloading and the oil well it was next to has dissapeared. Is this actually a thing?

I was losing like a poo poo ton of money cos I was tabbed out watching youtube and I realised the oil well was gone. I was so confused.

EDIT: So I just joined the server and like found these huge 4 cities kinda joined together and made a bus route with 2 buses servicing all of them, I'll see if I make any money, I can't seem to see any resources or processing plants anywhere though? or am I just blind.

EDITEDIT: nevermind it's the map.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 8, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Literally the most fun I've had ever being drunk at 5am and playing trains with people. This game rules.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I just came home to find 6million dollars in cash. gently caress yeah trains! Everyone has been so helpful learning but I had to blast and destroy a lot of my trains and tracks to get to this point.

gently caress I JUST BLASTED WATER BY ACCIDENT AND IT COST ME 4 MILLION. RIP DINHEIRO.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 8, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

poo poo I'm proud of myself, I couldn't have done it without all your help. I think the lucky moustache helped the company out a lot.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

gently caress me I built these joined tracks all going from 3 different sets of oil wells to a refinery and the refinery decides to disappear.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

This has been really fun and I'm doing really well but I think I'm going to play single player for a bit because the modded trains and tracks confuse the poo poo out of me. I'm going to start at the start of the century and see how good I can do.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Coolguye posted:

whoever the yellow guy is, you should be really careful with full load orders :newlol:

Hell I'm not yellow my company is white but I'm really intrigued as to what you're saying because I only do full load orders?

Should I not be doing them?

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

hahahaha that loving full load picture is loving hilarious.

And to be honest sinxc you shouldn't ban him cos it's not like he went and did it to gently caress with someone, the other dude did it to him first like for no reason so it's only fair.

also thanks for the advice, I've mainly been doing coal and oil and stuff but I tried some livestock and grain. It's annoying though with every resource cos sometimes I end up with 4 trains waiting to load and it takes loving years.

also idgi, why would the yellow player have done that, just to be a dick? this game is so confusing I don't even really understand what he did I just see a train crossing perpendicular to a road why would that stop anything?

also seriously maybe its cos im drunk but i keep laughing at that post so loving hard even though I don't understand what's going on in it. It's just loving hilarious fighting over internet trains.

FULL LOAD 4 LIFE

I'm calling my next company full load.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 10, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Wait but like why would it destroy them if the track is under a bridge?

It's 8am and I should have been asleep hours ago and I'm on the internet talking about full loads and trains goddamn. Well it's too late to sleep now.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Coolguye posted:

it won't. the bridge i built is how i fixed the situation. if you have a bridge, the trucks are safe.

Oh so he literally put a train cutting off the road? That's a pretty lovely thing to do especially with a train making a face like that at you.

In other news I just made my first maglev system woooooo. Time to get paid.

Oh man I just realised yellow was monkfish, poor monkfish :smith:

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 10, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

poo poo yeah I didn't realise sorry, I just thought I can leave the game on and keep getting millions. I'll start hopping out now.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Heh is that El Paso I see in that pic? :smug:

Also we need a cartel mod where we can smuggle poo poo over borders.

also we're turning Kansas and the states around it into the best places to live in the US. God bless America.

full load crew 4 life.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I just blasted some peoples school and houses to make room for my companies HQ in the heart of St. Louis. I don't know if I should feel bad for them. Where do the population go? Cos the pop just went down when I blasted their houses. :smith:

EDIT: The Kansas City Metropolitan Area which stretches all the way from Witchita to St. Louis is literally the baddest city in the game. You see what teamwork can achieve?

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 12, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I love this game. :smug:

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

If you could find a nice map of the Iberian peninsula with portugal and spain that would be nice. Barring that I'd love a map of Europe.

But yeah gently caress that mars poo poo and all those crazy rear end future trains. Let's just work with some nice chilled out trains.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Yeah poo poo Swansea got it going on. I'm turning Barcelona and Paris into paradises and I also came and stole London. :smug:

I also got this cool island in the Mediterranean and linked up the 3 towns with passenger trains and made an airport. it's a cool place to go on holiday I bet.

I'm really starting to hate ships and Tankers and stuff though. Seriously it's the one industry I can't stand or ever seem to make money from.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Holy poo poo this is so cool, So I can see that my tourists are coming from Barcelona airport to the island (god knows which one it is but I will find out) and then taking the trains and buses to go on holiday. I love how the game tracks the tourists.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Paris was my idea :frogout:

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Poil posted:

I logged in just now and a ton of my mines and woods have disappeared with trains waiting forever on the stations. Bah. :effort:

I hate when that poo poo happens, the amount of times I've been building a track between two places and then the resources disappear just before I finish.

Does anyone know what exactly causes this to happen? Like are there hidden in game variables or something that might have any telltale signs that something will close so you know to avoid it?

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Oh also I was reading the OpenTTD wiki about all the different options and stuff, and I assume breakdowns and stuff are switched off on this server, does that mean I don't need to get new vehicles when I get the popups saying my vehicles are getting old?

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I have 2 passenger trains stopping at one station and picking up passengers, but when they go to the other station they just literally go in and straight back out without stopping or dropping anything off. What's up with that?

EDIT: One of them seemed to stop but the other one won't, and it's carrying full carriages of people from the other station. There are literally only 2 stations on the track and each train has it's own separate track.

EDIT: The station is flagged as not accepting passengers? What the gently caress?

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 19, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Yeah I already had a bus station next to it to take people to the airport, and I have no idea what happened but the trains suddenly just decided to start stopping there. Weird.

Oh well at least it works now. :toot:

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I wish we had a :frogout: that said full load instead.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Yeah jesus someone is invading my beloved Barcelona with hovercraft. I wonder if they're earning much money.

EDIT: Wow they're making a really really nice amount of money.

Cool I'm making my own hovercraft army. gently caress you France.

Also we should play a map of North Korea.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 20, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

#make paris great again

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Me and Poil got bored and made a Particle collider.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 21, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Oh hey I'm third in that picture. :smug:

Man someone taught me to replace my vehicles the other day when they realised I was still using steam trains in the late 2000's so I do but, but jesus replacing entire track systems must be so boring.

Also holy poo poo Poil I told you we would turn Frankfurt into a giant.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

This map is awful.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Yeah I couldn't work out why even if I had passengers my buses were getting negative profit? What the gently caress.

Also we should play a map of Africa or South America that would be cool. More industries though.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Server went down? I hope it's because we're starting a new map. Let's play fun maps with a ton of industries where we can all get rich as gently caress.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

What happened to my company and my stuff? Did it all disappear?. Please don't tell me I somehow deleted it by accident while falling in and out of sleep on my keyboard right now.

It was called fraud something. Seriously though what the hell might have happened?

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Oh right thanks for the information! I'm sad I set up so many bus routes and just got my airplane business going for it to disappear.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Poil posted:

I had some money to spare so I made an island lair.

That's rad as hell.

I've been playing single player this past few days to get used to making goods chains from factories to towns and stuff. It's still confusing cos I sometimes put a truck stop in a town and it won't accept goods at all. I don't understand what the requirements are.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Yeah that explains exactly why it wasn't accepting goods. Thank you. I built the station close to the outskirts of the city and it was only passengers and mail. I have the grid thing turned on now so I can see exactly what I'm doing.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I hate to be a bitch but come on man it's not cool to come and run your trains straight through my road like that.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 1, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

nielsm posted:

It's signalled properly so the crossings block road traffic well before a train zooms past. It's responsibly designed!

Oh really? I turned it into a bridge but if that's true then I'm sorry, I assumed it was someone trying to smash my trucks. :smith:

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

I played the original Transport Tycoon alot when it came out, then TTD, and a few years ago a long spate with OpenTTD. The problem I have is that I now know the most efficient junction design, the most efficient station design and simply cannot run out of money before the timer elapses. Is there any fun left to be gleaned?

EDIT: simply increasing running costs doesn't work, because it just encourages the same principles as above, I've done lots of fashion-TTD with 'accurate' stations, don't particular enjoy road, ship or air transport.

I only started playing the other week for the first time in my life but I find it fun just loving around and drinking beers with goons and making trains. We make island hideouts and particle colliders and try to help each other make bigger cities than other people and all sorts of fun poo poo.

It's pretty fun playing with people and because the maps rotate so often there's always new poo poo to do. Basically the aim is get enough millions to gently caress around and do fun things with other goons.

TL;DR: TRAINS

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Whoever is yellow this map, your trains going to Itchyburg east have nowhere to go. Alas it looks like whatever industry was there has long since disappeared.