Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Jesus I just got back from my holiday and this map and industries are so confusing. I'm going to play some single player to practice my train building skillz.

I'm looking at all the online content to try to find cool and interesting things to play with. I wish the ingame content browser had more information available.

EDIT: I just found the view website button woohoo!

Also I want to try single player vs AI's but I'm a bit scared.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Yeah I've actually been playing temperate maps with no GRF's on single player. It's been pretty fun. I'm going to download busybee now though that sounds like a cool idea!

Whoa beereward is the same thing but it gives you money right?

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 12, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I've been busy and in my spare time I've been playing cities: skylines. it doesn't feel the same not dreaming about trains every night. Anyway now it's time to watch Alien covenant for the first time and play some open:ttd and open up a bottle of wine. Good times.

EDIT: jesus toyland is weird.

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 25, 2017

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Asimov posted:

I never knew about this game way back when, so I thought I'd give it a first try. I'm a couple hours in and have started giving heavy thought to train signals. In some ways this feels like Factorio mixed with a little bit of Simcity 2000, although I'm sure I have the inspiration backwards. Roads and Railroads moving goods are basically like Factorio conveyor belts and uh, trains. The the inputs/outputs seem to have about the same complexity, and yet I still appreciate the scale and the oldschool feeling of individual Sims getting on a vehicle or loading some coal in a hauler and going someplace distant. The track signals are different and interesting compared to circuit networks, and the logistics and vehicle capacity add a good amount of depth versus other factory builder games.

9/10, would have definitely obsessed over this as a kid in the early 90s assuming there was a Mac port available, but instead I remember some shareware based on the same concept programmed like it was in hypercard. I'm glad this has become available in open source, and well supported/documented at that.

Jesus what the gently caress is all this spreadsheet stuff you should be playing EVE or something. :catstare:

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

Paul.Power posted:

I know what you mean, but I don't know how to turn them off :(. There doesn't seem to be an option for it under the news icon.

Yeah this is the bane of my existence too. I literally haven't seen the game without these messages constantly there.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I've been insanely busy with my new job for a while so I haven't played in ages but I think I might give it a shot at some point this week. I miss you guys and our trains!

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I miss playing this with you dudes. Can't wait til I can use a mouse again and play trains.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I miss playing openttd with you dudes, I need to jump into the server some day soon.

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

I just joined this map and I really cannot deal with these hills. Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mynameisbatman
Oct 3, 2008

So I built bunch of trains to take oil at the top of the map but they don't want to enter the station, I'm really confused.

I have no idea what I did but I made diesel trains instead and remade the stations and it's working now. I just hope the train that transfers the oil from the second well actually does its job and transfers it. I've never tried to use the transfer function before.

EDIT: It works! Also when I get newspapers saying my vehicle or aircraft is getting old do I need to upgrade them or does this server have that crap turned off.

EDIT: Cool I've been loving around in single player with AI for fun, cos I still have a lot of stuff to learn and practice and I wanted to be on a really flat map, but it's also more fun not being the only company in game. It's kinda fun to see the AI doing its poo poo, I literally just went through the online content list and just picked a few AI's that sounded interesting.

Also I'm happy I started using 2 platform terminus stations. I used to only have every single one of my tracks going in a loop to whatever mine and production place I was using. It was really inconvenient trying to join more rails and everything just got messy and confusing. I've been checking out cool station/track designs on the wiki and on random online tutorials and trying them out.

I also have a quick question, if I have an airport in a city and I have buses or stuff coming from some towns and stuff should I use the transfer function for my passengers when they get to the airport? or is it fine using the 'go' function by itself? I've just recently started looking at that thing when you click on the passengers of a stop or station or whatever and it says how many people want to go where exactly and I assume my profit will be better if I work out who wants to go where and take them there. Right now I just connect random airports to each other and just hope they manage to make a profit but I think it will be better to bring more passengers from other smaller towns to the big cities specifically where they want to go.

also I decided I need a HQ on my cool little island.

https://imgur.com/a/myeX0Bc

mynameisbatman fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 8, 2018