Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also joined here. The costs of all those modern vehicles... starting up a new train network is prohibitively expensive in 2014. I've ended up just making a bunch of small gold truck services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not all vehicles match...

HUGEbus and tinybus.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh uh, the 2051 "scoring over" screen happened and I kinda accidentally clicked through it.

Poil posted:

What's up with the truck models in the game? I've got the Volvo FH16 which is awesome but the two later models can't haul coal, gold or wheat for some unknown reason and the last one even has significantly lower horsepower so they're way too weak to be useful despite their higher top speed (which I doubt they'll ever be able to reach). Any year the good truck is going to disappear from the list and only worthless junk I can't even use will be left. Grumble grumble grumble.

This also happened a while ago, there's no replacement for the "hauls anything" truck now.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Wishlist for next game:
- Plane speed factor to 1/1 (so they actually move at the advertised speed)
- Temperate map with large amount of water (to make ships more relevant)
- Distribution mode for passengers to "symmetric", to make passenger transport more interesting (they have a destination and don't just get off at first opportunity)

nielsm fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 2, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There are settings for the 2cc train set to disable locomotives from various geographies. If we're still using it for the next game, I'll also vote for limiting that to two or three geographies.
There is also a GRF that replaces the monorail graphics with 3rd rail electrified metro track, which you're really supposed to use with 2cc.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Poil posted:

Yeah, that would look better. But they have a speed that's barely faster than a loaded truck and you can't build stations or turns underground so it's just a much slower train. If you want a slower and probably cheaper train service you can just buy a lovely locomotive instead. I don't get what purpose it fills. :confused:

~realism~

This is a very delicious town?

Edit: I had been wondering about how to best replace my fleet of trucks with updated models... apparently this is how:

nielsm fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 3, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Still growing!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

GAME OVER!

(we'll keep playing)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The funny/sad part is that Local Transit is a second company I started, and built just local bus routes in non-desert cities, and a single hovercraft to serve a lake. And no didn't make any cash injections, it's built entirely on regular loans.

Here's the full list in 2055:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh hey look at this...

I managed to get the magical performance rating of 1000! I'm fine with a reset now :discourse:

E: Also here's the big cities and industries:

nielsm fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 4, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

230 km/h is slow?

Though sincx was complaining that there was an earlier general-purpose locomotive that does 241 km/h but it gets discontinued at some point and there are only EMU passenger trains to replace it.
(The real-world versions of these are never used for freight, since freight cars are never approved for speeds over 160 km/h.)

As for the other modes...

There is a limited-refittable freight car for the vactube.

Apart from that, there are a few aircraft that can be refitted to move goods.

But they aren't as interesting when running with less than 1/1 aircraft speed factor.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This one's for Stairmaster:

All signals are path signals. This is how I'd design a terminus station with approaches from two directions, so one direction prefers one set of tracks, and the other direction prefers different tracks, and they have less risk of interfering with each other when trains are entering/leaving from different directions at the same time.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Boo :(

Boats might be part of the problem, since their pathfinding is arguably harder than rail or road. They have all the water to move on so have to consider more different routes than a train that can just move on the rail it's on.

The Japan map is great fun but if the server can't handle it I'd rather have a smaller map.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

quote:

Server's back up!
Sure that IP is right? Says offline for me.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yep still no access.

vvv yeah that was dumb

nielsm fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 5, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

sincx posted:

Aww I can't believe my trains are this cute went bankrupt. That was my favorite company name.

I bought it when offered, the tracks and stations alone were easily worth the 25k.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Coolguye posted:

The real reason people are failing in this new game is the map of Japan has zero industry set up at the start of the game so people can't do the dead simple coal/iron/whatever imperishable route to get reliable cash starting out. Symmetric distribution has nothing to do with it, it has everything to do with that passengers have high value rot and low individual value so early on they're hard. One company failed entirely because someone left a full load order on and it absolutely slaughtered the value of most of his passengers.

Yep that was I can't believe my trains are this cute. When I saw the newspaper about the company being in trouble I looked at what routes etc. it had and saw the rail network seemed fine, but the train routing was set so it could never make money (because of full load orders), so I took the offer to buy it and instantly went to fix the orders. Now they're making a profit with no other changes. (Okay I did replace and extend the bus networks in two of the cities connected.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Upgrading track is hard when high-speed rail doesn't allow level crossings, have to reconstruct large amounts of road network when passing through a city.
Maglev is also quickly looking like a better deal than conventional high-speed rail (Shinkansen).

E: I have 9000 passengers wanting to go from the airport to the city, and my feeder line can't load/unload fast enough to serve them.

Yes, it's over nine thousand.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 6, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I still just want a regular temperate map please. 1024x2048 or so.

I only made this tiny little high-speed route (marked with white):

While the map is cool I still think it's too big, and it had become really laggy to play last night.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The Transport Tycoon air travel experience.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SupSuper posted:

What is up with the hills on this map. :stare:

I settled at a town called Mountain View, at sea level, with no mountains particularly close.

Keeping an overview of my late but steadily growing empire:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Operation gently caress THE OCEAN, I'VE GOT TRAINS:

Just another staple of late-game TT.

Edit: OH YES!

nielsm fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 8, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

For mynameisbatman/fridge:

At (1) there is a sharp bend, just one half-tile long. Trains have to slow down to pass that. It's better to flatten it out like this:

But best to alter the terrain like this:

To be exact, a bend can slow the train down, but an S-curve will not.

At (2), (3), and (4) there are potentially bad signals. The basic rule for path signals is: Do not place a signal if a train waiting at it could block a switch point. This is being violated here.
The general way to construct a ro-ro station with path signals has 3 sets of signals:

The entry signal is the last signal on the main line before the station area. The station area includes all switching that lets a train choose a platform, and all switching to lead it back onto the main line. The purpose of the entry signal is to protect the entry points until the train can get a path into its destination platform. There should never be signals between the entry signal on the main line and the end of the platform.
The platform exit signals are placed exactly at the exit end of each platform. Their purpose is to mark end end of a pathway into the station, and prevent trains from leaving the station without reserving a path through the exit points onto the main line. It can be an advantage to have some extra acceleration room before the track leaving the platform merges with any other tracks, but the platform exit signal should still be as early as possible after the platform, to let the next train in faster.
The station exit signal marks the end of the station area. It's placed on the main line leaving the station, sufficiently far onto the line that a train that ends up waiting at it don't block any other exits from the station onto other lines that may leave in different directions.

Note all these are the same physical type of signal, all of them here are one-way path signals. It's only their logical purpose I'm naming here.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 9, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

YES.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The food and paper factories have both shut down now, leaving the station forever useless.

mynameisbatman, can I ask you to leave the game (or go spectator mode) when you aren't actively playing? I don't like coming back to cities and industries that have changed massively, after decades have passed where nobody has actually been playing.
The reason is that in multiplayer, the server automatically pauses the game when there is nobody controlling a company. So if either no clients are connected at all, or all connected clients are running as spectators, time doesn't pass and the game world doesn't change "behind your back".

nielsm fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 10, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

In the year 2138, humanity has forgotten how to build a road vehicle that does not require tram tracks. Humanity has forgotten how to build a road vehicle that can carry anything but people.

Maybe time for a reset again soon.

The fantasy trains are fun, I'd vote for another game with them. But I don't like this map too much, and I'd actually prefer having fewer industries.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Poil posted:

Why are loans locked at 500k max? :mad:

Because inflation is off, I presume.
The only reason the loan max goes up normally is because of inflation.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've stayed out of the game for a while, simply because it was taking too much time from everything else. I probably won't join for another week or so, but a reset next Saturday would be good. To let us Europeans also get in during the early game.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Every week sounds good to me right now. Just please make the reset on a weekend so those who want to dedicate some time have a better chance of getting in early, regardless of time zones :)
(It's 7:30 in Western Europe right now, Monday, I'll be at work for the next 8 hours. Most of a game could already have passed by the time I get home.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

According to the official wiki, only the service quality should affect industries increasing or decreasing production. Basically there's 3 levels of service quality (% of production transported), low medium or high, and every month one or more industries are selected to change their production. If an industry is chosen to change production, its current service level affects the chance of production increasing or decreasing. If an industry runs a lowest production for a while it will eventually close.
I'm not sure how it works for secondary industries, since those stay open even if you don't take their production away but just deliver to them. They probably look at number of months passed since last delivery.

But basically, if you can keep servicing an industry well to keep station ratings above 75% the industry should have very little risk of closing down, and should most likely increase production until it maxes out. (The maximum production of a primary industry is between 2000-2400 units/month.)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah when breakdowns are turned off (they are here) vehicle age doesn't actually matter much, apart from there probably being better alternatives available.
The only place vehicle age stays relevant is in the cargo rating calculation on stations, and that's just a boost to the rating for having brand new (less than 2 years old) vehicles visiting.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Does the orders list have both stations listed? And no special load/unload orders on any of them?

E: Yeah if it doesn't accept passengers you need to get it closer to houses that do take passengers. You can e.g. build a bus station nearby, if you hold Ctrl while placing the bus station it will ask if you want to join it to an existing station nearby. You can extend the catchment area that way.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

Never use any other boat tho.

Oil carriers are okay until you can afford to fill in the ocean around oil rigs.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There's some stupid high production coal mines there... and not a single power station even remotely nearby.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Poil posted:

The longer the distance the more money you get. Provided you don't take half a year to haul it of course.

I know. But "a different island needing to cross the ocean" is still too far.

I found good opportunity with some forests instead.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

sincx: Company share buying is enabled, I don't think that's the intention?

Edit: Okay it doesn't allow you to buy out others so I guess it isn't so much a problem.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 23, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

sincx posted:

FYI, competition is a part of the game. See someone else taking 20% of a 800 ton/month coal mine? Perfectly fine to set up a parallel line!

Okay. I will take your coal.

E: Transfer credits can make for some horrible profit figures.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 24, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I just realized that on top of being able to group your trains, you can group your groups! Create a full-on taxonomy of line hierarchies or whatever. :spergin:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yea I'd say 90% of the reason to use it is for managing auto-replace orders. The remaining 10% are getting an overview of vehicles on a particular route, whether one or a few are outliers in some way. E.g. if I have 8 trains on a route and see one of them seem to be making a loss every year, maybe I should retire one of them.

Edit: I imagine the pilots here are narrowly dodging between the skyscrapers on every take-off:

nielsm fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Oh were you enjoying some untouched nature there? I'm so sorry.