Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I played the original Transport Tycoon alot when it came out, then TTD, and a few years ago a long spate with OpenTTD. The problem I have is that I now know the most efficient junction design, the most efficient station design and simply cannot run out of money before the timer elapses. Is there any fun left to be gleaned?

EDIT: simply increasing running costs doesn't work, because it just encourages the same principles as above, I've done lots of fashion-TTD with 'accurate' stations, don't particular enjoy road, ship or air transport.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm trying a quick solo with FIRS, and I'm having trouble staying solvent - even fully loaded my trains have ~Y1m running costs and Y1.1m profit per year (this is going from coal mine with surplus output into a Steel Furnace, and Iron ore into the same).

- Japan Trains, etc.
- FIRS
- Realistic Accelleration, 4x weight multiplier for freight

Is there simply nothing to be done but restart? Going to join the goon server later today anyway.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

EDIT: wee, on the server and having fun.

So an additional question, is there any way to use waypoints as such for my trucks? I've found a forest/papermill route with trucks that's great, but if my paper trucks arrive before my wood trucks it gets really jammed up.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

I’m so bad at this game, but I got a three track setup going between farm/steel/factory and just watched it run for like an hour :unsmith: I was proud

Edit— the only city I could find to receive goods was like on the other side of the map though

Are you building the station as close as you can to the centre of the city? Cities also need to grow to accept goods, so you can feed them with passengers/mail/etc.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I decided to build a tram system between a few towns (1,500 -> 250 -> 200) and literally none of them threw a profit. Are trams some kind of intra-city transport just used to feed large stations?

EDIT: Why is vehicle replacement not working at all in the goon game?

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 13, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK so I've got a nice feeder operation going on in the north in this map - the problem is that my maglev trains just aren't loading fast enough. Even with all seven roads of the station full, the stock of wood never dips below >600. Is there something I'm missing?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I think the server might be dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I can agree that people come and go, I've been playing Transport Tycoon on and off since the original but only in fits and starts of a few days at a time. When it becomes a game of memorising the most efficient junction patterns, IMO the magic goes a bit.

With that in mind I want to give it another bash - I know the goon servers are where the magic happens, but I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for mods which add a bit of realism? Inertia on the vehicles, earlier vehicles, more challenging cargo patterns and prices/etc.? I appreciate that the game snowballs once you have your first big coal line and so I was hoping to find something to keep the challenge there.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 17, 2018