Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Looking forward to it once you get things going again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I didn't find the perspective switching too confusing but I'm not sure there's an advantage over just presenting them sequentially.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Wow. So, they put all of their game's lore on a website...and then they killed the website the second the sequel came out. That's...something.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, melee sounds fun.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Having now experienced Destiny 2, it's interesting looking at the first game and actually having context for how much they improved. Your LP has also been helpful for having the slightest idea what's going on because jesus, does that game not bother to give context for much of anything. I mean, there's usually like one line of dialogue to introduce the enemy races and you eventually get a sense for the characters involved but the concessions to the idea that you might be new to the series are pretty minimal despite them having launched it on a platform that never got the first game.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It didn't look like Destiny 1 Hobgoblins heal when they shield, at least the ones in the Vault of Glass. Who may behave differently than the others, I suppose.

Really hoping Curse of Osiris ends up being a bit more substantial than The Dark Below was for 1.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, the worldbuilding is very cool. I just wish it were present in the actual game in any meaningful way (in either Destiny or Destiny 2). 2's (and presumably later Destiny 1) missions do more storytelling, but not much, and the scannables that appear to be Destiny 2's replacement for the Grimoire are just wildly inadequate as there's no way to refer back to them and they're awfully fiddly to even find.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I tried Crucible in Destiny 2 for the initial requisite two matches for a milestone. I just wanted it to be over the whole time. Two matches, the same map, the same mode, the same getting our faces ground into the dirt. Just not my scene at all.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Interesting weapons aren't really Bungie's specialty. Halo pretty much only ever had the needler, far as I could tell (and the rifle variant thereof). The Marathon games pretty much just used slightly higher tech variants on standard weaponry, although the first game may have originated alt-fire modes and clip-based ammo with reloading in FPSes (I certainly never encountered them prior to Marathon), with the exception of a spread-shot alien weapon. Oni is the only place where I feel like they got all that creative overall and even then it's not all that wild and crazy.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Well, that was a lot more dramatic than Destiny 2's "go into the same forest you've already seen repeatedly and hop around zapping dudes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
They definitely brought Mayhem to Destiny 2 - and it was present for a good chunk of this year's Dawning event. Not only does your super charge really quick and heavy ammo spawn all over the place, but I believe your grenade charges quickly also. I find regular Crucible in Destiny 2 completely miserable, scoring maybe one or two kills in an entire best 2-out-of-3 match and dying anytime I go near the enemy team, but Mayhem was actually kind of fun. It's way easier to kill people with grenade spam and Nova Bomb than it is to actually have to aim. And sure, I die a lot still, but it's not any worse than standard Crucible.