Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007


Finn

"And they're the only ones. The stuff is vile. An unholy stone."

Finn turns and spits.

"Only the thaggoraki or madmen would consider using it or even living near it. If it's here in enough quantity that they'd take over the entire town...well, it may be time to burn the town and salt the earth."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Murrie Sweettooth

"I've never heard of Skaven before, but I have heard of a rare glowing green rock, usually falls from the sky. It's supposed to have a number of medical uses, although research into it is discouraged. These creatures find it valuable then?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Eel's Head Tavern

"There looks to be a few dozen of the little brown ones, most of them up at the mine. A handful more of ones in strange armor or colored oddly," Bianca says. "I haven't been foolish enough to provoke them all by myself, so I haven't a clue as to how quickly they'd descend upon you, should you make yourself known. And that was just a wee little pistol shot, it'd be a surprise if anyone in here heard it, let alone the ratmen."

Sinonfie notices that Bianca speaks a little louder than normal, and she occasionally looks at your mouth when you speak. It's entirely possible she's not a good judge as to what sort of noise constitutes "loud."

The gunner taps thick fingers on her chin as she ponders the slayer's question. "I don't think I've seen any green rocks, but they're not exactly hauling away much loot. Mostly they concern themselves with taking the townsfolk to and fro from the mine, seems like. Is this green stuff valuable if you're not a warped man that lives like a rat?"

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010


Fallen Rib

"Skaven?" Goswin said in disbelief. "Skaven is fairy tales! Everyone knows there ain't such things as skaven. It's a trick, it's gotta be!" He turned to Nagaw. "Look, it's prob'ly just some poxy cultists playin' silly buggers. Why don't we just knock 'em about an' get this done with, eh? I got me a package to deliver." He hated rats. Hated, hated, hated rats. Rats and the dark and the smell of the hold, little things biting at him while the sailors sang... No, this had to be a trick. Skaven weren't real, drat it all.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007


Finn

"Fairy tales? Tell that to the clans of Karak Eight Peaks."

Finn shakes his head.

"Don't be a fool, boy. Whoever wants that box is a slave right now, and if you want them to get it alive, we'll need to save them. We, because if your lords are like you, they'll laugh us out of the halls when we ask for reinforcements...again. Don't tell me none of you learned to fight? I mean, I'm no Slayer, but I can swing an axe well enough. Don't you humans learn that, too? Or halvi?"

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at Sep 1, 2017 around 20:55

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010


Fallen Rib

"Oy! I can fight! I can fight real good!" Goswin raises up his cutlass. "Just point me at the first one an' I'll have his guts laid out like a cleaned fish, see if I don't!" He wasn't going to let some dwarf imply he wasn't able to take care of himself. "I don't know about no peaks, but whoever these buggers are, I'll bet we can take 'em easy."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Murrie Sweettooth

"I'm not sure, they look rather... big to me. Granted, just about everything looks big to me, but they are big and holding weapons," Murrie points out reasonably. "And if there are enough of them to hold a village hostage, there are probably enough to kill us all. No offense to the Slayer of course."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Nagaw Hagaw

The slayer points between himself and Finn alternatively with his thumb, glowering at Goswin. "Does it look like we think it's 'poxy cultists playin' slly buggers' lad? We've been dealin' with the raki for longer than your people have had a written language." He snorts. "And if I need to, I'll hold the whole of them off to let you lot rescue these villagers, but that's only if you refuse to stand and fight should it come to it."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010


Fallen Rib

"You callin' me chicken?" Goswin demanded. "Awright, Shorty! Point one out an' I'll go wallup one. Any one of 'em you like." He marches to the door and prepares to throw it open.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007


Finn

"Valaya's bloody brew, you're going to get him killed, Drengi." Finn reaches out to grab Goswin's arm.

"You don't do this without a plan, trust me! Now...stop. Think. We know the raki are enslaving the locals. Probably came by ambush in the night. No chance to resist. We need to free the locals, get their help. Just the group of us here couldn't take a mine without support, not if the raki have slaves in the way."

He won't be letting go until he's sure Goswin isn't about to rush out.

"What we need is to know where the tools and weapons are kept, and where the slaves are. Once we know that, we take those areas. We can arm up the villagers, see if there's any weapons worth Smednir's spit, and then we prepare to assault the mine. You'll have your fill of slaughter, boy, worry not. Nagaw - is this plan sound in your ears?"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Eel's Head Tavern

Bianca pipes up over the machismo suddenly filling the room.

"They keep the townsfolk in the church, I think. Old folks and children stay there, anybody who can work is dragged back and forth to the mine. No idea where the rats keep their weapons, though, or where they stay themselves. Might be down underground themselves, if any of the old stories are true."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Sinfonie Schädeldieb

Sinfonie assists Finn in restraining the boat boy.

"Hey, lets not get killed straight away, huh? Goswin, don't be stubborn. If the dwarves call them skaven, then that's good enough for me. As for fighting...I know which end of a weapon is which, I guess. Be much happier if it's not a fair fight. Maybe we can get them drunk?"

Down underground sounds worrying to her. Does this pub have a cellar? When Finn is secure she goes to check for her own paranoid sake.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Eel's Head Cellar

There is a cellar of sorts in the pub, but it's less a mouth for an elaborate series of underground tunnels full of skaven and more of a shallow pit dug under the place, where the owner keeps root vegetables, a few bottles of decent-quality ale and wine, and what appears to be a stack of illicit woodcuts.

Does anyone object to "go free the slaves, then murder the rats?"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Nagaw Hagaw

The slayer grins, once more shouldering his weapon. "Awright, it's settled then, lads and lasses. We've got a village to rescue." He looks over to Bianca, cocking his head slightly. "Lass, this is me curiosity speakin' here, but have you checked out the bank yet? It seems untouched. I know the raki don't worry themselves too much in finances that ain't made of warpstone, but it's strange it's wholly untouched."

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010


Fallen Rib

Seeing that Nagaw is no longer impugning his manhood, Goswin stands down. "Mebby they already looked and there weren't nothin' they wanted in there. We can check it out after we've done freed t'prisoners." His earlier fears about rats were forgotten. These were obviously just weird cultists. Who cared if they were fixed on rats? He'd kill 'em just as dead. Then he'd deliver the box and row the hell away from this pisshole.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Sinfonie Schädeldieb

After helping herself to a surreptitious glance at the salacious carvings Sinfonie returns upstairs with a few bottles of beer.

"If we're going to do this stupid thing, at least let's toast Ranald first."

She holds a bottle out defiantly.

"God of fortune, bless this crew as we do something foolish for bad reasons!"

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Eel's Head Tavern

"No," says Bianca. "No I have not investigated that bank. Here, glasses all around," she adds as she assists in Sinfonie's toast.

Emboldened by spirits, you begin your march on the church. It's a modestly ornate structure, a thing of stone and mortar in a town mostly made of wood, plaster and thatch. It would barely register as a garden shed in Nuln or Altdorf. The ambient fires around town are brighter than whatever's illuminating the inside of the church, but you can see where some of the stained glass has been knocked out.

The front door of the church is guarded by two bored-looking skaven, one leaning on its spear as though it's napping. The doors themselves are crude, clearly a skaven flourish - perhaps the originals were broken down during the attack?

The churchyard itself is equally modest, a bit of green around the periphery that turns into a cemetery for what passes for Pinsdorf's upper crust, which runs along the back side of the church. It looks like the residents have been experiencing a period of urban renewal, as it looks like the skaven have been excavating in the graveyard.

What do you do?

Coin flip comes up heads, you get the smaller of the two groups of guards and fewer slaves inside.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Nagaw Hagaw

Nagaw grips his axe tightly, his knuckles turning white. "Alright, lads. Just two of 'em. I can handle this." He glances around at the desecrated graves and scowls, leaning forward as he begins to sprint. He barrels across the garden of Morr, his eyes narrowed and his teeth bared. The skaven not napping as his post notices Nagaw a moment too late as the slayer's axe bites deep into the creature's knee, sending the skaven sprawling to the ground and bashing its head against the stonework of the church itself. The napping skaven starts awake just as his friend collapses, but before he can react the slayer brings his axe upwards in a vicious arc, severing the skaven's head from its shoulders in one mighty swing. The body spasms before collapsing, blood pooling on the ground before the door.

The dwarf turns back to the others, giving a broad grin and a bloody thumbs up. He motions the others over, taking a moment to bring the heavy heel of his boot down on the collapsed skaven's throat, grinding it down until the neck snaps.



Nagaw Charge Attack vs 61: 1d100 28
Nagaw Damage: 2#2d10k1+5 14 15
Nagaw RF Confirm + Damage: 1d100 1 1d10 7
Critical Effects: 2#1d100 25 29

14 - 1 armor - 3 TB = 10 damage, they have 9 wounds so it's at -1/9
22 - 1 armor - 3 TB = 18 damage, he's at -9/9

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Pinsdorf Church

Despite Nagaw's attempt at impressionist painting, it doesn't seem like the local garrison or the skaven inside the church have yet noticed anything amiss.

You could take this opportunity to scout the grounds, make a sneaky entrance, or otherwise prepare things. Or you could just charge inside.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010


Fallen Rib

Goswin walks past the corpses, pausing to spit on one. Then he recoils. "Sigmar's balls! They's some sorta mutant!" he says in a shocked whisper. He tiptoes past them, pausing to stab the corpses a few extra times to be sure before following after Nagaw.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Sinfonie Schädeldieb

Holding up a hand to indicate the crew should hold their ground for a moment, Sinfonie does her best to sneak around the side of the chapel, looking for a window or crack in the wall to spy through.

Possibly relevant rolls:

Perception TN 34: 1d100 90

Silent Move TN 32: 1d100 10

Scale Sheer Serface TN 33: 1d100 70 (in case of high windows)

ugh. 1/3 aint bad i guess

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007


Finn

Finn just gives Goswin an exasperated look, then looks to Nagaw. He doesn't expect stealth to be a thing that ends up lasting long - not with a Slayer here.

Since I didn't realize Nagaw's axe was Good-quality, I hadn't realized I could runecarve it. So I guess I didn't!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Sinfonie

Sinfonie's reconnaissance is slightly troubled by climbing a little up to the bottom of one broken window and getting a face-full of brazier smoke. She manages to retain her composure enough to not cough and give herself away as she drops gracelessly back to the earth.

Between the tears, the thief could make out a pile of human forms in the middle of the church - all the pews have been cleared out and there are a clump of people pressed together on the floor. No guards were obvious at that time, but that's not saying a lot, considering the circumstances.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Nagaw Hagaw

Keeping his axe at the ready, Nagaw gives the others a nod, shouldering his axe for a moment to pull the door open slowly to take a peek inside himself.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Sinfonie Schädeldieb

Wiping her eyes as she comes back round the corner, Sinfonie nods at Nagaw as he prepares to go in.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Murrie Sweettooth

Murrie scrounges up a few of the ubiquitous rocks that seem to inhabit imperial towns while he keeps a careful eye on Nagaw.

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at Sep 7, 2017 around 14:04

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



chin up everything sucks posted:

Murrie Sweettooth
keeps a careful eye on Nagash.

uhhhhh

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Inside the Church

Those gazing into the church see a dimly lit interior, possibly to give the skaven an advantage over their captors, or just because they were too lazy to light more sconces. Within, a group of humanoid figures lies in the center of the church, which appears to be the only real room in the place. They aren't moving much. The church itself is effectively a big empty room with all the furniture piled up to one side.

There are at least a couple skaven in there, but it's hard to tell how many or how well they're armed without a longer look that might expose you.

Skaven get a 65 on their perception, fail to notice any missing guards or sudden intrusion by slayers and teenagers.

Bust in with violence, or do things sneakily?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Nagaw Hagaw

The dwarf takes a slow, deep breath, taking a step back and turning slightly. "On three, lads. One.." He continues to step back, gripping his axe and lowering it slightly. "Two.."

Nagaw surges forward, slamming his shoulder into the door and bursting into the church, his axe held low and ready for an upward swing.


Charging the first skaven I see and cutting its rear end off.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Pinsdorf Church

Nagaw busts into the church, presumably trailed by his comrades. If not, then perhaps it's the time for the slayer to meet his death, here in a humble church, far from the tunnels of home.

Inside the church, there's room for several dozen to congregate in times of worship. As it stands, there are perhaps two dozen human figures in the center of the floor, either quite young or very old, and in a multitude of states of consciousness and good health. Someone's shoved all the pews off to one side, your right as you enter the building through the doors. At the far end of the church is the traditional altar and shrine, although it's been stripped of its fine drapery and the golden hammer that should decorate it.

Off to the left, immediately as one enters the church, is a door set in the wall that presumably leads to the bell tower. Candles are still clustered around the interior columns, the little devotional items casting the only real illumination in the place.

There are skaven on guard in the church, but you've caught them unprepared. One's even napping on the altar as you break in. Going clockwise from the altar, there's the one having a siesta, three picking through the wrecked furniture and chewing on some of the wooden fragments, one relieving itself in the corner to your right, two standing by the door to the bell tower, and three skulking along the wall to your left, guarding the prisoners.

A sour reek, like unwashed dog combined with rotting milk, is in the air. That may be the skaven latrine, though.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Nagaw Hagaw

The slayer takes in the battlefield in the span of a heartbeat, and immediately veers left, towards the skaven guarding the prisoners. He roars out a curse in Khazalid, burying his axe into the belly of one of the skaven. He pushes forward, knocking the rat man off balance before yanking his axe free, swinging the gore soaked blade into the air and bringing it down on the next skaven. The blade catches on the bone in the creature's arm, and he recoils back with the blade, grimacing at the fact the rat man yet survives.





Nagaw Attack vs 81 (Two attacks): 1d100 37 2#2d10k1+5 10 14
Assuming the same stats as before, so

14 - 1 - 3 = 10 damage, -1/9 wounds
10 - 1 - 3 = 6 damage, 3/9 wounds

Crit Damage Roll: 1d100 56
Crit Damage Roll (Fortune Reroll): 1d100 14

14 is a 5 crit, knocked to the ground and winded, must stand up and -30 to all rolls next turn

John Dyne fucked around with this message at Sep 9, 2017 around 19:13

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010


Fallen Rib

Goswin rushes in to attack, swinging his cutlass recklessly. Though it's dark, surprise and quickness allow him to get a solid blow on the first rat he encounters. His blade comes up as the rat tries to defend itself, scoring a deep cut in the creature's arm. "You wanna piece o' me, you poxy mutant? C'mon if yer steel enough!"

45 vs. WS of 56

13-1-3=9; 0/9 wounds.

JackMann fucked around with this message at Sep 11, 2017 around 03:49

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Sinfonie Schädeldieb

Sticking close to the Slayer and joining in his bellow with a less impressive war cry, Sinfonie charges the ratmen and smashes her cudgel into the ribs of the one that just took an axe blow:

Charge Attack vs 53 (Guard Skaven 2): 1d100 46

Melee Damage: 1d10+3 8

8 - 1 - 3 = 4 damage, 0/9 wounds, critical value 1

Critical Hit +1: 1d100 94

The wind is knocked out of the character. All tests and attacks suffer a –20% penalty for one round.


There's a satisfying crunch and a squeak from the Skaven as air rushes out of it's lungs.

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at Sep 10, 2017 around 02:41

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007


Finn

Finn's gotten out his small dagger, holding it ready to protect himself as he charges in. Not as good as a shield, by any means, but it'll do for now. He takes a breath, then charges in, roaring a war cry to psych himself up. "Khazakun Kazakit-ha!"

Charge Attack against an unengaged guard skaven: 80 This actually hits with the +30 from surprise that I forgot about entirely.

Body hit, 4 damage - 1 armor - 3 TB = 0.


Unfortunately, the skaven are more alert by then, and his axe blow is turned aside, barely grazing the creature while Finn curses extensively in Khazalid.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at Sep 10, 2017 around 21:51

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

The skaven by the bell tower door are the ones Nagaw and Sinfonie are engaged with. They're both still up, but reeling.

Finn is over by the trio guarding the prisoners. He might be in danger of being overrun by the three ratmen once they get their act together.

We're working on Goswin.

What's Murrie doing?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



I went towards the skaven guarding the prisoners, yo. I think everyone dogpiled that way to save the prisoners, too.


John Dyne posted:

Nagaw Hagaw

The slayer takes in the battlefield in the span of a heartbeat, and immediately veers left, towards the skaven guarding the prisoners

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Right, map for next turn. Noted and adjusted.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Murrie Sweettooth

Atonished by the sudden charge of his fellows past the nearest skaven, the halfling fails to follow in the sudden suicidal charge. Instead, Murrie stands there with rock in hand, blinking with confusion for an instant before he winds up for the pitch, casting his first stone at the skaven standing at the entrance.

Throw a rock at skaven vs 42 BS: 1d100 89
Even with +30 for surprise and +10 for half action aim, thats going to miss.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Pinsdorf Church



The rats are angry and alerted now, although the one off to the corner is definitely continuing to void its system.

Skaven 1 through 10. Let me know which one you're attacking.

Skaven 8 0/9 Crit 0
Skaven 9 0/9 Crit 1
Skaven 10 0/9 Crit 1

The whole part is up, and the skaven are no longer Surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010


Fallen Rib

Goswin takes careful aim and then swings once more at the skaven in front of him, this time hitting its right arm, breaking through bone and rendering it useless.

Attack of 33, hitting the right arm

9-3-1=5 wounds

Critical hit: Arm demolished, anything held dropped. 20% chance of bleeding out each round

JackMann fucked around with this message at Sep 12, 2017 around 04:55

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply