Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Post
  • Reply
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Nagaw Hagaw

The skaven were reeling, but were beginning to recover quickly. A fight was going to be on their hands soon, and Nagaw knew that their sheer numbers might give them enough of an advantage to bring at least one of his comrades down. Dying to the verminous scum that were the raki certainly would suit the slayer's ambitions in regards to his oath, but to cost Dwarf-kind a runesmith in his quest?

It was unthinkable. With a challenging bellow, Nagaw once more brings his axe around in a terrible downwards swing, cleaving through sinew and bone with a terrible crunch and tearing of meat, severing one of the skaven's arms at the shoulder and taking a chunk of torso along with it. The creature squeaks weakly as it collapses, and Nagaw brings his axe back up and to the left towards the nearest ratling, cleaving through the creature's hand and shaving most of the skin away from its bone all the way up its arm. Blood pours down the monster's arm as it hangs limp at its side, and it shrieks in pain and fear, a musky smell filling the room that Nagaw is all too familiar with. He grins; that musk meant the rat-thing was scared. And fear was infectious.

"Press 'em, lads! These raki aren't enough to bring down a beardling, let alone a slayer and the proud descendants of Sigmar Heldenhammer, dwarf-friend! Slit their chittering throats and bury your axes between the shoulders of these backstabbing vermin!"


Nagaw vs S9 and S10 vs 56: 1d100 4 2#2d10k1+4 14 8
Ulric Fury Confirmation: 1d100 93 1d10 1 failed to confirm
14 - 3 - 1 = 10 damage
8 - 4 = 4 damage

Critical Effects (+10 and +5, respectively): 1d100 36 1d100 92

Skaven 10, at +5, has his arm demolished by the attack and anything in that right arm is dropped. 20% chance of dying each turn. Sudden Death crits are in effect per crit rules.
Skaven 9, at +10, is instantly slain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Sinfonie Schädeldieb

Running, yelling and swinging her club had been a winning strategy up until now, so Sinfonie tried to repeat the process on the skaven that had been relieving itself - but her efforts were thwarted by the acrid smell making her eyes water so badly she could hardly see.

Charge attack on s5 TN 53 fate point Reroll: 1d100 90

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Murrie Sweettooth

Leaning through the doorway, Murrie chucks another rock at one of the skaven, but instead manages to knock the nose off of one of the temples friezes near the ratman.

Aim and Throw Rock at S5 vs 52: 1d100 87

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007


Finn
Fortune: 1/2

Finn is not a raging Slayer, and so believes in safety in numbers. He follows after Sinfonie, charging when he sees she's not managed to take out (or hit) her quarry.

85, spending a Fortune to reroll, 34
Body, Damage: 10+4-1-3, 10.
Check for Ulric - No Ulric..
Crit (Value +1): 5

S5: 0/9 Wounds, Knocked to the ground, -30 to all checks for one round and must use the stand action to rise from prone.


This time, his axe strikes true, smashing the foul creature to the ground. It isn't dead...yet, but Finn allows himself a vicious grin from the force of that blow.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Pinsdorf Church

The skaven, mostly, don't take this aggression lying down. The one that was lying down screams and rolls for cover behind the altar it was dozing on.

Finn's new friend stands up, dripping filth, but fails to take any other action.

The two by the bell tower door are horrified to watch the butchery going on nearby, and bolt, but take the opportunity to try and skewer Murrie on their way out the door. He's even shorter than they are, though, and the little mortician is left intact.

The ratmen are not totally inept, however. Three of them gang up, lacking a better escape route, and attempt to run down Nagaw. With three of the beasts on him at once, even the slayer takes a glancing wound.

Round 1 end.
Skaven 8, 9 and 10 are dead.
Skaven 5 is knocked down, stands back up.
S6 and S7 move to attack Murrie.
S6 rolls 38, misses.
S7 rolls 73, definitely misses.
S2, 3 and 4 attack Nagaw.
S2 rolls 18, hits, rolls total of 8 raw damage.
S3 rolls 65, misses.
S4 rolls 40, misses.
S1 rolls into cover, stays put.

PCs are back up.


New map:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Sinfonie Schädeldieb

Ugh, this thing smells even worse now that it's bleeding. Despite trying to carefully line up a blow in coordination with Finn, Sinfonie's club whistles past the desperate skaven.

Attack vs s5 (Aim, Outnumber) vs 63: 1d100 81

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010


Fallen Rib

As the rat dies a shuddery, bleeding death in front of him, Goswin takes a quick look around, and sees that two of the skaven have peeled off and are threatening Murrie. "Oy! Get away from him, you scabby beggars!"

He charges across the room, swinging his cutlass at the rat's face, spraying its comrade's blood into its face. It manages to dodge away, but at least now Goswin's in a position to do something about it, and maybe make it leave the halfling alone. No way is he going to let these creepy little weirdos hurt his creepy little weirdo.

Attack of 74 vs. 46

JackMann fucked around with this message at Sep 14, 2017 around 11:45

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Nagaw Hagaw

Nagaw refuses to back down even in the face of the skaven ganging up on him, baring his teeth in a furious snarl as he tries to duck and weave through their clumsy, hacking blows. One of the skaven, however, does find its mark, the edge of its blade piercing his leather jacket and cutting a thin line across the slayer's bicep. There is a heartbeat of pause where both Nagaw and the ratkin stare at the wound in disbelief, before Nagaw hurls a barrage of Khazalid curses at the thing for daring to wound a dwarf with its shoddily crafted weaponry.

However, his rage, and the fact the skaven know his fury and the fact he's going to beat the everliving tar out of them, makes the slayer's attacks go wide; the skaven easily get out of the way of his furious swings, leaving Nagaw open to counter-attack.

Nagaw Attack S2 and S3 vs 51: 1d100 79 2#2d10k1+5 11 12
Nagaw Attack vs 51 on S2 and S3 (FP Reroll): 1d100 75 2#2d10k1+5 15 11


pre:
WS: 51      TB: 5     W: 10/12    FP:   1/3
Armor: 1 (Body, Arms)

Great Axe: 1d10+SB+1 DMG    Impact, Slow
Mighty Blow: +1 Melee DMG

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007


Finn

Finn is quick to take advantage of Sinfonie's attack. As the skaven ducks around the club, his axe comes down for it, carefully timed to make best use. The blow strikes true - the beast's head is split open like a ripe pumpkin, spraying blood messily around it as Finn's axe finally comes to a rest on the Skaven's collarbone. He pulls it free with a wet thud as the body falls to the ground.

"Remember Karak Eight Peaks!"

Aim, then attack on S5: 16 vs 63 (43+10 Aim+10 outnumber), Head hit.
Damage: 6+4-3-1=6
Crit: 6, value +6. Skaven 5 dies.


quote:

WS: 43 TB: 4 W: 11/11 FP: 1/2
Armor: 3 (Body), 1 (Arms)

Axe: 1d10+SB DMG

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Skaven

The ratman facing down Finn dies a proper and heroic skaven death, screeching in pain in a puddle of his own excreta. Evil rat-godspeed, skaven.

The skaven by Murrie are not particularly threatened by his presence, but they are alarmed at the gangly human chasing them with a sword. Given a choice between having to fight and fleeing, they take the sensible option, and depart out the door at speed.

Nagaw has his hands full with three skaven, and him all by his lonesome now. The ratmen aren't terribly good fighers, however, and despite outnumbering the slayer three to one, the slayer only takes a slash to his axe arm. The wound is unpleasant, but surely he is about to return the favor.

Skaven 5 dies.

Skaven 6 and 7 flee.

Skaven 2, 3, and 4 attack Nagaw. They roll in order 32, 56, and 79, for one hit. Hit deals 6 raw damage to Nagaw.

Skaven 1 idles.

Players are up.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010


Fallen Rib

"You better run!" Goswin shouts at the fleeing skaven. Then he turns and charges to assist Nagaw. He'll show that dwarf who can fight!

His cutlass marks a line of blood across the ratman's chest. A light wound, but it fills Goswin with confidence. They were winning. No way these little mutants could stop them now!

Charge attack on Skaven 4, 27 vs. 51

Damage 6-1-3=2

quote:

WS: 41 TB: 3 W: 13/13 FP: 3/3
Armor: 1 (Body, arms)

Cutlass: 1d10+SB DMG

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Sinfonie Schädeldieb

Trying not to look too relieved that the foul smelling thing got killed before she had to touch it, Sinfonie backpedals, turns, and runs back up the chapel to the left side of Nagaw where she takes a good swing at the Skaven, catching it in the knee and making it hop and squeak furiously.

Attack vs 63 (Skaven 3, charge, outnumber): 1d100 48

Melee Damage: 1d10+3 10

S3 3/9 wounds

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Nagaw Hagaw

Nagaw glances at his arm where the skaven hit him, finding that the weak little rat-thing couldn't even pierce his skin. He barks a laugh in the skaven's face and starts to bring his axe around for the killing stroke when the grave robber decides to get involved in his fight, and he is forced to pull his swing up short to prevent from hacking her legs off. The dwarf curses in Khazalid under his breath, trying not to glower at the woman since her intentions were well placed.


Nagaw Attack vs 61 at S2 and S4: 1d100 92 2#2d10k1+5 15 14
yet another ulric's fury that i didn't hit with :<

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007


Finn

Finn is a dwarf - and therefore will never get involved in a Slayer's personal melee unless he truly must. That leaves the skaven at the back of the church. The dwarf roars and charges, lunging over the altar to try and cleave the thing to bits. He manages to knock it around with a heavy blow to the arm, but nothing too permanent.

4 vs 43+10 hits, Location Left Arm, Damage: 7+3-1-2.

S1: 2/9 Wounds.


quote:

WS: 43 TB: 4 SB: 3 W: 11/11 FP: 1/2
Armor: 3 (Body), 1 (Arms)

Axe: 1d10+SB DMG

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Pinsdorf Church

As the others regroup and converge on the remaining skaven, Finn skids over the top of a holy altar, swinging his axe like a maniac and screaming bloody murder. In one sense, this has the intended effect on his target, namely to hurt the skaven and scare the hell out of it. In another, it's a bit of a mishap, as the skaven behind the altar was pulling a glass sphere out of its pouch. The sudden impact knocks the globe from the rat-man's hands, and it shatters on the floor of the church. A noxious green haze billows out of the wreckage, immediately searing the eyes of those closest to it. In its panic, the skaven that dropped the globe breathes in to scream, but manages only a choked sputter as it inhales a lungful of the deadly gas.

The skaven around Nagaw and friends tense, then immediately bound up and around the church's architecture to escape the sudden cloud of death encroaching on their position. The moaning from the prisoners increases, but only a few of them can drag themselves to their feet and make a break for it, now that their captors have fled. Without assistance, these people will surely perish, but if you stop to aid them, will you yourself survive?

Combat canceled on account of clouds, don't breathe the green smoke.

If you want to grab some civilians on your way out, make a strength check, but you may suffer the effects of the gas. If not, you can make it out scot free, no check needed.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Murrie Sweettooth

If there was one thing you learned in medical training, other than "don't let the red stuff escape", it was that colorful gasses were a very bad thing to breath.

It was a good thing that Murrie had never taken one of those oaths of medicine, or he might have had to stay and try to help. Instead, he was free to run away from the church, trying to guess how far away might be a safe distance.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Nagaw Hagaw

"Rhunki!" Nagaw grits his teeth as he shoves past the fleeing skaven; he could split their heads open later, but letting a craftsman like Finn die to their treacherous ways would be something Nagaw could never atone for. Without thinking of his own well being, the slayer charges into the terrible mist, barreling towards Finn, feeling the toxic gas burn at his skin and eyes. He stops only a moment, hefting the wooden pulpit and hurling it through the window with a grunt, smashing out a secondary means of escape for the runesmith. "Get out, rhunki!"

Nagaw turns his attention towards the humans now; there was more work to do if he were going to undo the work of the skaven here, and it wasn't going to be very pleasant for him. The gas was still spreading and he was prolonging his exposure. He bares his teeth without thinking, running towards the pile of bodies, doing what he can to get them on their feet or throw them onto his back and shoulders and get as many out as he can.


Toughness is 51 and strength is 31.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Sinfonie Schädeldieb

"What is tha...oh scheiße!

You work in confined spaces long enough and you get an appreciation for the danger of gas buildup. This is different, but instinct kicks in and Sinfonie turns to run, pausing only long enough to grab the closest prisoner and book it for the exit.

Strength Check TN 33: 1d100 26

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007


Finn

Finn looks up at the broken window - tempting, but...but he is bound. An oath to help - and that means protecting these people, who will die if they breathe in that horrible gas. That much is clear - the raki do not play when it comes to poisons. He has to be better than that.

He looks to Nagaw, sighs - and then grabs for the closest humans he can carry, heading to the new exit made for him. It's nice and big, he can get them out safe through it, and it means not having to run across the entire church, at least.

Strength 34, Toughness 49.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010


Fallen Rib

"Aw, hell!" Goswin cries out as the gas begins to spread. He tries to grab an arm and start pulling, but he loses his footing on the cluttered floor and isn't able to get any purchase. He tries to hold his breath as he struggles to get a better grip.

72 Strength check is a failure

Strength is 42, Toughness is 33

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Pinsdorf Church

Nagaw and Finn, doughty as they are, are able to throw a few of the prisoners over their shoulders and haul them to safety. It doesn't mean that the people go without protest at being grabbed and treated like luggage, but they're not in much of a position to put up a fight about it, and indignity is better than drowning in poison air.

Sinfonie, too, is able to help, hauling an elderly lady into a fireman's carry and spiriting her out the front doors. Poor Goswin, still in his awkward years, is less successful. Murrie doesn't even try to play the hero, clearly content to act as a safety officer and observer.

Between the dwarves and a partial human effort, there are substantially fewer innocent victims left to the gas cloud, but a few elderly and youths remain, trying to limp, scramble and crawl to safety on their own.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Nagaw Hagaw

Nagaw sets the people he rescued down with their backs against gravestones or whatever will support them, before glancing to Finn. "Where's that bloody pie grobi? He needs to tend to these people. I'm going back in to see if I can pull a few more to safety before it gets too dangerous."

The slayer moves to re-enter the church through the window, coughing into a clenched fist before taking a deep breath of air to climb back in and keep pulling people free. Unless Finn stops him, that is.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Sinfonie Schädeldieb

Sinfonie sets down her elderly passenger and turns to watch in horror as Nagaw plunges back into the green mist.

"Oh, hell. That mad bugger..."

She can't bring herself to follow.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Pinsdorf Church

Nagaw, either welcoming his death or acting entirely in defiance thereof, jaunts back into the church, braving the gas a second time when no other soul around is foolish enough to do so, all to save the lives of humans he's never met.

Whatever he did to become a slayer must have been astonishing.

The overwhelming majority of the hostages, perhaps some two-dozen souls, are now relatively safe, free from captivity. It's best not to dwell on those who were lost - it's possible they had perished before the gas even reached them.

Now, however, you find yourselves with two major problems.

One, you have two-dozen near-invalids to take care of now.

Two, you have two skaven that escaped the melee, and no sign of them anywhere. That might be a problem before much longer.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Sinfonie Schädeldieb

"Alright mother, you stay with me and Murri here, we'll keep you safe. Come on, on your feet."

Sinfonie keeps one eye open for Skaven while herding the survivors into a group.

Perception TN 34: 1d100 40

Don't see anything unless they screw up on stealth, but Sinfonie does have 6th sense as well.


"Goswin, Murrie, help me get everyone back to the inn. We can give them some food, at least."

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012



Murrie Sweettooth

"After all of that, I'm prescribing myself a good stiff drink from whatever the inn has in it's cellar. Actually, good stiff drinks all around! I'm sure these folks could use one for their nerves."

Murrie will help some of the people towards the inn, before scavenging for booze. After everyone has had a stiff drink, he will start looking for wounds that he can do something about. Gas-damaged lungs and eyes are rather beyond his skill, but cuts and broken bones aren't.

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at Sep 21, 2017 around 14:06

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007


Finn

Finn is no coward, and he's committed to helping these people - but he also knows that the place would be a deathtrap. When the Slayer rushes back in...well, no surprise. But a Runesmith must take more caution with his life.

"The inn's as good a base of operations as any. We'll need to fortify it better. From there...the rest of the slaves in the mines are going to be in danger, but we'll need to prepare. Nagaw, let me see your axe when we get back to the inn. It's good enough quality for me to give it some care. Likewise, any other better-quality weapons we find. Most human work's not good enough, but some is. Maybe we could raid the smithy."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Eel's Head Tavern

You're able to make it back to the tavern with your charges as relatively problem-free as you can get carting a bunch of hobbled civilians through a warzone. There's no sign of skaven retaliation yet, but it's only a matter of time before they notice you've stolen their hostages.

Murrie's ministrations are greatly appreciated, although he gets the impression that some of the children are particularly confused by this odd-looking shoeless counterpart of theirs. There are obvious signs of beatings and malnutrition in all of these people, but for the most part, rest and better food will take care of their problems. A few others are not so lucky, with broken bones or open wounds beginning to fester. It's hard to say whether the wounded were made examples to the rest, or simply the victims of casual cruelty, without some similarly painful prying into their lives.

Not that that'll stop some people. As soon as you get in the door, one old man starts haranguing an even older woman. They're both dressed in finer clothes than the other hostages and their hands lack calluses.

"...and if your husband were the slightest bit capable of performing his duties, none of this would have happened," he continues as part of his tirade. "And all your little prayers to Sigmar won't help us n-"

"Mister Krauss," says the old lady, finally snapping back. "I would think after the past several days, you would want to distance yourself from the behavior of monsters."

The man's face scrunches up, like he was just offered a mug of curdled milk, but he does shut up.

Maybe Bianca has some idea of what that was about. Say, where is Bianca, anyway?

There are adequate provisions to feed your whole group, although it's going to get cozy in here. There should be sufficient furniture to barricade the place, although it won't stand up for long against an actual assault.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Nagaw Hagaw

The slayer nods appreciatively to the runesmith, placing his axe and his sword on one of the tables in the inn. In spite of diving into the mists twice, he doesn't seem too worse for wear, and actually seems to be in fairly good spirits.

However, upon listening to the two well dressed, underworked elders griping to each other, the dwarf's face sours and he wheels on them, stomping across the tavern. "I recognize a hierarchy when I sees it, 'Krauss,' and I'm thinkin' the two of you might be up there a ways to the rest of these poor folk." He gestures towards the destitute and wounded, his eye narrowed.

"I reckon, for the skaven I've killed, the cuts and bruises I've suffered, and the lungful of poison gas I sucked down helpin' you out, that I'm owed an explanation." He stares Krauss down, his face set in a hard frown. "And for whatever reason, I've got a hunch you're hip deep in rat poo poo on this one."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Eel's Head Tavern

Mr. Krauss reels back as the slayer advances on him, shock spreading across his face. This is possibly due to the enormous menacing dwarf with a large axe getting cross with him out of the blue. It doesn't take long for that shock to turn to anger, however.

"I have barely more to do with this wretched state of affairs than you do, outlander," Krauss says, looking down his pointy, aristocratic nose at Nagaw. "I'm an upstanding pillar of this community, and my money supports this town at every turn. Our mayor, however..."

Krauss waves one fine-boned hand at the woman he was arguing with. "This one's husband is clearly derelict in his duties, given that neither our fortifications or the town guard, which I might add withstood the terrible invasion of the Ruinous Powers not that long ago, fell to a bunch of mutants and beastmen!"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007


Finn

Finn looks up from Nagaw's axe.

"Tell me, do you put walls and guards in your mines? The raki do not attack by open air."

Then it's back to work carving the runes. Well, rune, singular. It's going to take a while, and he's spending most of it chanting under his breath in ancient Khazalid. There are brief breaks at the 14 and 22 minute marks for cursing.

I'm gonna assume we're gonna be here for at least an hour, so...
14 minutes to make the first inscription attempt for Rune of Striking. Magic roll: Failure.
Attempt 2: 8 minutes. Magic roll: Failure
Attempt 3: 10 minutes. Magic roll: Success after 32 minutes.
The rune is now carved on the axe - it will always have the Rune of Striking on it. Now I can enchant it! I think I can reawaken the magic in it when I have time but like...it takes a lot of time to do. I will now need 3 successful Empowering tests, each of which takes 20 minutes, and a final binding ritual that takes 1d10.

I will save that part for later, in case poo poo comes up we need to deal with and I don't have an hour plus to work after.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Eel's Head Tavern

"Of course not," Krauss snaps. "Beastmen don't come from the earth, like you people."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Nagaw

With a low snarl, the dwarf grabs hold of the fop's collar, yanking him down so he is face level with Nagaw. This close the man can see the ruin that was once Nagaw's eye, and can smell the blood and sweat on the slayer, as well as the sharp pungency of the killer gas the skaven used still clinging to his skin. When he speaks, his voice is a growl, low and terrible.

"They're not beastmen, you flamboyant idiot. They speak your tongue and emerge from your mines, and I have this feelin' you know quite a bit more about them than you're lettin' on." He twists his hand in the man's shirt, getting a tighter grip and bringing him almost nose to nose with the slayer. "The lass there mentioned somethin' about knowin' about monsters, and while it certainly seems like you like to talk, that sure shut you up quick. For your sake, I recommend you find your gift of gab, lad."

Nagaw's muscles tensen as he talks, the veins bulging on his neck and forehead and bicep. It's quite obvious the dwarf is angry and means business and does not want to deal with any bullshit.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Eel's Head Tavern

The moaning has died down, as the former hostages watch this exchange between the bullish slayer and one of their preeminent citizens. They're soon disappointed, as Krauss draws himself up to his full height, and his lips form into a tight line. It doesn't seem like he'll be saying more at this juncture.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd



Sinfonie Schädeldieb

Walking back into the room after settling one of the weaker citizens down with a restorative ale and lump of cheese, Sinfonie realizes that things are a little heated and makes conciliatory noises.

"Nagaw, if you could just give these people a moment? They've all had a bad time, and we don't need to go around blaming anyone for their past mistakes, do we?"

She eases the slayer's hand off Krauss's collar, pushes the man gently away and dusts him off a little.

"There. Now, I think some introductions are in order. I'm Sinfonie, I've come from Hergig with young Goswin, Mr Murrie, Mr Finn, and Mr Nagaw. We're...adventurers, sent to find out what happened here. I can see you have a rat-shaped beastmen problem. How long has that been happening? One at a time, please."

charm vs 51: 1d100 8

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010


Fallen Rib

Goswin watches the others talking. He's not much of a talker, himself. He's much more into hard work and occasional violence. He's still not convinced these are real skaven, but he's damned if he's going to pipe up to agree with a greased-up, self-important pillock instead of his mates. He busies himself with helping on the fortifications and keeping an ear out. Hopefully he can soon figure out who the package is going to and deliver it. Then at least his duty will have been taken are of. Let no one say Goswin Köhler doesn't get the job done just as well as any man on the river.

Listen Check: 5 vs. 45

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Eel's Head Tavern

Krauss brushes Sinfonie's hand away from his collar, as though it were a spider. "I'm perfectly aware of what you are," he says.

The woman he was arguing with clears her throat. "My name is Georgina Mueller. My husband is the burgomeister, Alban. You have met our local banker, Herr Krauss," she says.

"Three days ago now, there was an explosion at the mine. Not long after, a whole army of these horrible things came out of the earth," she says, with a pointed glance at the banker. "They tore down the walls from the inside, killed those who tried to fight them, and then marched off en masse. There's more of them still here, like those monsters keeping us prisoner. They're keeping the rest as their slave labor, forcing everyone down into the mines, like commoners!"

Goswin cannot hear, as of yet, any signs of impending doom over the chatter and Finn's hammering. Surely it's a matter of time, though.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Nagaw Hagaw

The dwarf folds his tree-trunk like arms across his broad, muscular chest pointedly, his good eye glaring at Krauss. He lets the grave robber try her diplomacy for a moment, and when Krauss takes on airs of superiority again, Nagaw harrumphs.

"Alright, I see how it's gonna have to be." He reaches up and grabs the man by the ear, twisting it as he pulls him back down to his level. The slayer flashes Krauss a brilliant smile, tugging on his twisted ear as he begins to walk. "You and me are going to have a chat outside away from the prying ears of your neighbors and 'friends.'" The last word drips with sarcasm, and his fingers clamp down tight on the man's ear to make sure he doesn't try to yank away. He gives Finn an appreciative nod before picking up his sword, letting the rhunki work on his much more important axe.

Nagaw sheathes the sword as he leads the banker outside like a spoiled child being scolded by its mother, glancing both ways down the road before crossing the street to the alley he and the others had originally come in. He unceremoniously lets the banker go and shoves him into the alley, folding his arms back across his chest.

"Now no one can hear you, lad, save me. You tell me what you know so I can kill these rat men, and I won't say word one. You have that on a dwarf's oath." He fixes the banker with a firm stare, cracking the knuckles on his sword hand. "Mind, if you decide to run, or clam up, I'll show you why my clan was called Boulderfist."

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Outside

Krauss eyes Nagaw, with an expression that can only be called "calculating." For a scrawny old human, he seems remarkably unfazed by the slayer's threats. Something is amiss.

Eventually, the old man purses his lips, and a brief expression something like amusement flickers across his face, before it returns to its sour, neutral composition.

"There is a grey one, short, with horns on its head like a deer, that seems to lead them. Last I saw it, it was headed toward the mine, perhaps two days ago. Killing it should throw them into disarray."

He does not volunteer anything further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?



Nagaw Hagaw

There is a long silence as the slayer studies the old man, his brow furrowed. After a moment, the dwarf chuckles, shaking his head. "I don't know how you humans can live with yourselves with the stupid krut you do to get a leg up. You know, we dwarves call them thaggaraki." As he speaks, Nagaw draws his sword, turning it this way and that as he studies it, the moonlight reflecting from it and illuminating his face. "We've fought them for longer than we can remember. Pages upon pages of the Dammaz Kron, our Great Book of Grudges, is dedicated to their race and the horrors they've inflicted upon us. We've fought them since before your Sigmar made himself an ally to us, before we gifted him the runic hammer that so many of you view as a holy symbol now."

Nagaw looks up at the old man now, his face passive and expressionless. "So we know quite a bit about them, lad. We're taught about them, we study them, so we can better kill them. And we have learned so, so much from killing the raki. Which makes this very peculiar and very clear, all at the same time." He looks inquisitively at Krauss for a moment before his face suddenly twists into a mask of pure hatred and rage, his blade lashing out against the stone to create a shower of sparks that illuminates the alleyway in a cascade of dancing lights that twinkle off of the spittle on his teeth.

"THE GREY RATS DON'T JUST BLOODY WALTZ AROUND OUT IN THE OPEN. THEY ONLY APPEAR WHEN THEY FEEL SAFE OR WHEN THEY'VE UTTERLY WON AND NO THREAT STANDS TAE THEM." He stalks forward, the vein on his forehead throbbing. He lowers the sword, his voice lowering with horror. "You've worked with them. You've profited off of them, or hoped to. You or someone else found the foul green stone, and that ALWAYS brings the raki running."

"And you think you've won from all this. You really do. Your hide's been saved, things will go back to normal, trade will go back to normal, maybe some rivals are dead and gone. That's how it works for you manlings, isn't it? You're tenacious. You fall and get back on your feet and pick the pieces up and press forward. It's impressive, really. Bloody amazing." He shakes his head, now smiling earnestly as he goes to sheathe his sword.

"It's like you've got a set of runic mechanical balls the size of damned grobi, lad. I can't even begin to fathom it." He looks at Krauss for a long moment, sighing. "My word is bond. You won't deal with an ounce of shame from any of this from your townsfolk."

Rather than sliding his sword into its sheathe, however, Nagaw lunges forward in one sudden motion, using all of his weight and strength to drive the the blade into the man's gut and out through his back. He locks eyes with the man as he twists the sword, no joy or anger on the dwarf's face. "Pray you aren't delivered into the hands of Heldenhammer himself, lad." He jerks the blade from one side and to the other before yanking it free, the blade a dark red in the moonlight.

"I've got a mess tae clean up now."

Nagaw Murders Old Man vs 51: 1d100 5
grassy gnoll - Today at 5:21 PM
More in the sense of "Is Nagaw willing to greviously harm this guy or kill him?"

the answer is yes

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply