Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Goswin slashes at the creature's leg, on the basis that it was closer to him than most other parts of the giant thing. However, his blade barely did anything against the creature's thick hide. "Frog poo poo! The hell d'you have t'do t'kill t'poxy thing?"

Attack vs. 51=28
Damage=5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?

Nagaw Hagaw

The slayer smacks away the two biting heads with the flat of his axe, ducking this way and that to make the task of biting him even more difficult. He laughs as he uses the opportunity to once again slice his axe across the monstrosity's faces, drawing blood and further enraging the idiot beast.

"The beast's hide is thick, but you just need to bury the blade deeper, lad! Go for its underbelly if you can! I've got the little bastard right pissed at me, ha!"

Nagaw Attack vs 81 (Two Attacks, GANG UP BONUS): 1d100 51 2#2d10k1+5 12 11
4 and 3 damage per hit, respectively.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

Finn

Finn continues to focus on the Packmaster, taking care to properly aim for the scurrying, scrabbling creature before bringing his axe down again at the thing's flailing arm.

Aim, then Attack: Hit, Left Arm.
Base damage: 7

quote:

WS: 43 TB: 4 SB: 3 W: 11/11 FP: 1/2
Armor: 3 (Body), 1 (Arms)

Axe: 1d10+SB DMG

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fan of Britches

Streets of Pinsdorf

There's a thing about dwarfs and skaven. The thing is that dwarfs, see, they kill quite a lot of skaven. Finn and Nagaw are definitely dwarfs.

The ratepede gets an impromptu haircut from Nagaw, slashing through one neck and a couple of legs on his way to embedding his axe in the earthen street. Finn, meanwhile, gets the packmaster in the back, killing it. It's certainly prevented the rat-man from escaping, unless you want to get philosophical about the nature of existence and the constancy of suffering. Definitely killed the rat, though.

Nothing else impedes your way to the mine. Pinsdorf mine is a modest affair even by the standards of humans, let alone dwarfs. It's mostly just a chunk of granite that, due to geological coincidences, ended up thrust from the earth as gently as the shifting of the ground ever really goes. The little hill is stone and dirt, forming one side of the town perimeter and informing the curve of the river to the north. The entrance is at the base of the hill, surrounded by the miners' supply dump, piles of tailings, and a couple large carts to go dump things into the river.

It's also surrounded, in a much looser sense of the word, by skaven patrols. Those of you with knowledge of the ratmen and military conduct in general can tell the patrols are fairly light, for what should be a pretty valuable logistical node. It would seem the skaven are as yet unaware of your presence, or they're bigger idiots than you assumed. It is possible there are more of them under the ground, which is presumably where the rest of the townspeople are.

Up here, it looks like there are just regular rats keeping guard, in ragged groups that walk around every so often. From your vantage point in the shadows across the way, they haven't noticed you yet.

While you plan and plot, this seems like a good time to do some advancement. I'm arbitrarily going to say 500 XP for the first segment here, so spend away. Please update your character sheets after you buy.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?

Nagaw Hagaw

Leaving his axe in the dirt for a moment, Nagaw wipes away the rat blood from his good eye with the back of his hand, spitting on the corpse of the rat monstrosity. "Figures the thaggaroki can't give me a good death. Didn't even give me a single bruise!" He laughs, hefting his axe back onto his shoulder. "Right then. We've got a mine to liberate."

500 XP is a lot but I won't look a gift rat in the mouth.

3 wounds for 300 XP, 5 strength for 100 XP, and 5 willpower for 100 XP. Leaves me needing 3 advances to become an even mightier slayer.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

Finn

Finn wipes his own axe clean with a rag, stepping away from the fallen packmaster.

"Mm. Liberating the mine won't be easy - you humans can't see so easily in the dark, yes? So we'll want light once we're in there. Anyone have torches?"

Spends: 100 XP on S, 200 XP on W, 100 XP on WP, 100 XP on Int.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd

Sinfonie Schädeldieb

Sinfonie gives the mutant a final kick and wipes her cudgel clean on the grass. She feels better about this whole affair now, much more confident. After all, what could the rats have that's worse than this?

She doesn't voice that thought. Instead she replies to to Finn.

"I've got a lantern. But if the Skaven have humans working in the mine they'll need to have light anyway, right?"

500xp spent on +10 Agility, +10 Willpower, +1 Wound.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

"Uh, bring t'lantern I'd say. Can't be too careful-like. I mean, what if t'mutants blow out t'lights? Fat lotta good me an' Sinfonie'll be if we can't see nuffin." He was getting more nervous the closer they got to the mines. Fighting in the village was one thing. He could see the rats coming, fight them on his own terms. But fighting in the dark... Worse, being stuck in the dark... Well, that was a whole other kettle of fish, wasn't it? He couldn't let on how nervous he was, though. Not with Nagaw there. He'd show the dwarf he was as brave as anyone.

One advance each spent on WS, BS, Agi, Int, and W.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?

Nagaw Hagaw

"Don't be daft. You think they've got the people of this town mining down there in pitch black, pointing and saying 'hit that spot with the pickaxe' and hoping they don't damage anything? Trust me, the skaven are as stupid as they come, but they don't dare risk their warpstone, if there's any to be had."

Nagaw keeps his voice down low as he watches the patrols, scratching his beard in thought. "Not too many patrols. Could probably take one out without an alarm, if we hit it hard and fast enough, like at the church."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

"Because the time has come, well and truly come, for all peoples of our great country, for all citizens of our great commonwealth, for all Australians to come together and build a new future for our nation."

- Kevin Rudd

Sinfonie Schädeldieb

"Right. Take out a patrol, slip through the gap, get into the mine? Or just take one patrol at a time?"

Sinfonie takes a moment to search through one of supply dumps, securing a length of rope and sundry other supplies.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Fan of Britches

Supply dump

Among the picks and shovels and wheelbarrows and barrels and pitons and strangely unprotected sachets of gunpowder, Sinfonie digs around and retrieves a length of rope, for whatever nefarious purposes she can envision.

One of the patrols draws near. It's a bunch of ratmen, the smaller brown kind, wearing mismatched scraps of cloth and carrying some rusty swords and pikes. They squeak and growl to each other, apparently completely unaware of your presence. If you're going to act with violence, now is an opportune time.

Rather than do a full combat, I'm going to have you guys roll two WS checks each, assume each rat is basically in crit danger, and see how things go from there. These guys are chumps, and are here to make you feel good about mangling a bunch of skaven. Feel free to describe the horrors you wreak on these poor, pitiful beings.

Then, you'll have a clear shot into the mines.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

- Kevin Rudd

Sinfonie Schädeldieb

As the patrol passes, Sinfonie lurks behind a barrel until the last rat has passed then silently pads out and cracks it's skull with her cudgel. As it falls like a sack of potatoes the second in line turns and raises it's arm to ward off her savage blow - at the cost of it's hand, which is shattered likely beyond repair.

Skaven Smashing (All Out Attack, Surprise) TN 83: 1d100 12 Head Hit!

Skaven Smashing (All Out Attack) TN 63: 1d100 21 Right Arm Hit

Melee Damage: 2#1d10+3 9 8 vs TB 3

Critical Hits: 2#1d100 88 73

Skaven 1 takes critical effect 7 to head (Knocked out)

Skaven 2 takes critical effect 7 to Right Arm (Hand destroyed)

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

As the skaven turn to notice Sinfonie killing her first rat, Goswin screams in fury and lays into the mass of vermin. He swings his oar like a club, catching the nearest rat in its center of mass. Though only a boy, and a short one at that, Goswin is surprisingly strong and flooded with fear and anger. The rat is lifted bodily off the ground and smashed into the wall with a wet thump. Bloody foam is squeezed out of its mouth by the ruin that was once its lungs, and it falls, twitching to the ground.

One of the skaven turns and raises its old and worn pike to attack. Goswin neatly twirls the oar around and slams it into the side of the rat's leg. The bone breaks with an audible snap and tears through the skin of the rat, tearing an artery in the process. Blood fountains out of the damaged limb, spraying Goswin in the face.

Through the blood and the sweat running down his brow, Goswin stares at the rest of the rats. "I'm right here!" he shouts. "C'mere if you think yer hard enough!" With his free hand, he raises two fingers to let the rats know he means business.

All-out, surprise, 96 vs. 96, body hit

All-out, 48 vs. 66, right leg hit

Damage, 14 and 7

Critical hit effects 9 (body) and 9 (right leg)

Ulric's Fury! (70 vs. 96)

Ulric really had it in for this rat

Who knows what the skaven did to Ulric?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?

Nagaw Hagaw

With a grim chuckle, the slayer launches himself from the bushes, his axe dragging along the dirt before he brings it upwards in a horrible, rending arc that splits the first skaven he hits in half from hip to shoulder. He shoulders past the skaven and brings the axe down in a might blow that shatters the next skaven's skull like an overripe melon, and for a moment the axe becomes stuck in the filthy creature's ribcage. Nagaw gives the weapon a firm yank but finds it won't give, and with more rat men to kill, he doesn't have time to expose his flank; these miserable clan rats would NOT be a glorious death at all.

Foregoing his axe and letting the dead skaven slump to the ground, the dwarf cracks his knuckles as he balls up his fists, roaring out as he slams his meaty fist into the snout of the first raki to get in close. He weaves back, avoiding a clumsy swing from its blade before he pounds his fists into its face once more. dazing the beast and causing its weapon to fall from its grip. He grabs the beast by its throat and squeezes with all of his might, the rat's eyes popping as it scratches at Nagaw's stout wrists, earning another pop between the eyes to stun it. With a wrench of his wrist, the creature's neck snaps, and Nagaw turns quickly, catching the blade of another of the filthy rats with the corpse of its ally.

Nagaw tosses the corpse at the new challenger, causing it to fall back and squeak in panic. The slayer wastes no time and climbs on top of the rat pile, stomping viciously on the monster's throat with the heel of his steel shod boots, scowling as blood flecks upwards on him as he mashes the beast's throat and spine beneath his feet. He grinds with the final stomp, panting slightly as he raises his bloodied fists, his forearms and chest slicked with blood. "C'mon then! I've had nastier scraps with stuffed shirt Imperial nobs who thought it'd be fun to go a round with the likes of me!"

Nagaw Attacks vs 121 and 81: 2#1d100 12 49
Four attacks, four dead skaven.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Murrie Sweettooth

Back in the inn, Murrie begins cooking dinner with whatever food he has been able to find in the inn.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

Finn

Finn charges in, chopping one rat open with a quick swing, and then killing another with a blow so strong it sends the thing flying in two directions, with one chunk attached to a leg.

He lets out a long shout of his clan battlecry.

I had written up a whole post for this, with links, but then I lost it in a browser crash. You can look up my rolls on orokos if you like, here's the last one. With All-Out attacks, both attacks hit and the second attack maxed out damage and first ulric damage, but missed second ulric. Both rats die!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Fan of Britches

Pinsdorf Mine

It may be butchery, but at least it's quick. The dwarves and humans, minus their halfling companion, make quick work of the skaven patrol. There's enough room to stash what's left of the rats in the junk piles Sinfonie was exploring, so you'll have at least a little time to act before the skaven notice their missing companions.

The path up to the mine is dirt and gravel, with ruts worn into it by the passage of carts. It's not much effort for even the dwarfs to scramble up. Just inside the mouth of the mine, the skaven have posted two sentries. They're the regular kind of rat, although well-equipped for such. These ones look like they've seen clothing before, and might understand its uses. The armor they wear is only partially rusted and broken.

They don't appear to have noticed you. You could take them out, to ensure your arrival at the mine is unnoticed.

Stealth check and then a stabbing check if you want to take out a sentry.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

- Kevin Rudd

Sinfonie Schädeldieb

An attempt to stealthily approach the mine entrance is ruined by needing to shoosh Nagaw so loudly that Sinfonie gives away her own position to the sentries. She instead desperately rushes the one on the left before it has a chance to run further inside, bashing it in the knee to slow it down. The ratman squeaks and chitters, but doesn't fall.

Silent move TN 42: 1d100 82

Attack vs 53 (charge): 1d100 9

Melee Damage: 1d10+3 11

8 net wounds

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Goswin attempts to sneak up as well. However, he is not terribly sneaky himself, and hits his oar against the wall, making a loud thunk. Cursing, he rushes up and charges at the skaven. Time to go with the direct option. With a yell, he moves in and attempts to wallop the nearest of the rodent guards, slamming the oar down on its head.

31 Stealth vs. 19

40 Charge vs. 56

9 Damage

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Fan of Britches

Both skaven are wounded, but not dead. Dyne, you wanna finish them off?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Fan of Britches

Pinsdorf Mine

Seeing an opportune time to assert himself, Nagaw leaps up behind his two less-than-stealthy compatriots and does extremely concerning things to the anatomy of the two skaven sentries. They have just enough time to screech in pain and alarm before departing this mortal coil in a greater number of pieces than which they joined it. It's hard to be sure, but it doesn't seem like anyone was summoned by your violence.

Pinsdorf mine was originally not very large. It used to be a series of shafts sunk into the rock that were used to pull copper and iron ore from the ground, with little fanfare or fuss, as these things go. The skaven, as is their wont, were not content with this state of affairs, and have greatly enlarged the tunnels. This has the pleasant side-effect of making it incredibly unsafe to be in this mine, as it's on the verge of collapse already. Judging by the footprints in the mud and filth along the tunnel floor, you'd guess it wasn't much improved by marching an army out of it.

The tunnel drops off suddenly, and it's only the keen eyesight of some of your compatriots that prevent you from walking straight off the edge and plummeting down a tremendous wound in the earth. There's a cargo net of sorts, made of stinking ropes of what appear to be woven skaven fur, leading off the edge. It's fastened roughly to the edge of the precipice every so often, to make it easier to climb. Presumably this was done to facilitate the exit of the skaven from the mine.

A few ropes, better quality than the net and probably looted from the miners, hang freely in the shaft. You could probably use them to rappel down, if you were brave enough. The net would be easier and safer, at least.

From the dark depths, you hear the sounds of pickaxes striking stone and human misery. You must be close.

You need to climb down. Gimme a climbing check or equivalent to see how far you get down the shaft before action happens. Moving via the vertical cargo net is easy but slow, and if you screw up you'll have a chance to catch yourself. Moving along the ropes is hard, if you screw up you'll fall, but you will look very cool swashbuckling around.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Seriously?

Nagaw Hagaw

Giving the netting only a passing glance, Nagaw straps his weapons to his body with leather belts he had taken from the storehouse and leaps out over the chasm. He takes hold of one of the ropes in his meaty fists, sliding down part way on the rope as it swings out due to his weight before he hits the rock feet first. The dwarf's calloused hands burn from the descent, but there wasn't much else he could do now but take the rope all the way down. There were rat-things that needed to answer a few grudges.

Nagaw Climb vs 36: 1d100 35

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Goswin secures a rope to himself and makes sure it's tied well to its anchoring point before he starts down. He wraps the rope once around his oar and uses it to as a makeshift brake, letting him slide down in a fast but controlled manner.

Climbing roll vs. 21

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Fan of Britches

Aerial Combat Underground

As you make your way down the rope netting, you hear the telltale sounds of skaven - angry and mildly terrified squeaks, along with the clatter of weaponry. You're about to have company.

Not everyone is as graceful as Nagaw, as Sinfonie slips down the rope net, but manages to stop herself before meeting an undignified end as a piece of kinetic art. Goswin, meanwhile, is able to keep pace with the slayer, sword clenched in what teeth he has.

Tugging from the direction of your feet tells you you're not alone. The skaven are upon you!

Here's how this works.

You've started based on your rolls. You can move one square in any direction per round, without having to make a check unless someone's trying to throw you off. (Also, you can throw people off the cargo net.)

You can move substantially more squares per round, up to your movement value down and half move in an upward direction, by making a successful check to use one of the two ropes - the red lines. You can move to any square in A or B column when you use the rope on the left of the map, likewise C and D for the rope on the right.

What constitutes a successful check? What can you argue that you can use to simulate your character swashbuckling around a mineshaft at the end of a rope?

Currently, there are four clanrats climbing up to meet you. There's also a gutter runner hauling up the right-side rope. PCs go first, then skaven.

Mors, I never got a roll from you, so Finn's currently standing at the lip of the mineshaft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

- Kevin Rudd

Sinfonie Schädeldieb

Having arrested her sudden fall onto the unpleasant rocks below, Sinfonie adjusts her grip and begins moving downward in a more controlled fashion:

Scale Sheer Surface TN 33: 1d100 10

When she reaches the first clambering skaven she hooks the crook of her arm through the rope and lashes down with her club, hoping to break the rat-man's nose, fingers, or at least it's grip:

Attack vs 53 (High Ground): 1d100 33

Melee Damage: 1d10+3 5

that is...not very much damage to the right arm

«5 »