Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Detroit, MI

It's ok. Now is currently the lovely part of the year where it's grey and cold (5 months of this yearly), so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. Otherwise the summers are amazing in Michigan. Tons of lakes and outdoorsy stuff to do. But back to Detroit. I actually live outside the city in the burbs like 99% of "Detroiters" but am only maybe 20-30 min from downtown when traffic isn't bad. Downtown is very cool and there are tons of old buildings that are being renovated, but keeping the old aesthetic outside. Lots of folks work in the auto industry (myself included) but there's a lot of options in the metro area (Google in Ann Arbor, U of M, Quicken Loans, etc) outside of automotive. This area gets a lot of poo poo for crime but I've never felt unsafe being downtown. Sure there are probably bad places to avoid but I have yet to be robbed and/or murdered. My wife works downtown and it isn't something that worries me.

Food here is pretty insane and seems lots of chefs are coming here because it's dirt cheap and easier than paying rent in NYC or somewhere else. There's a large Mexican, middle eastern (largest outside of the actual middle east I've heard), and Asian populations so lots of diversity for restaurants. Beer is also phenomenal, tons of choices and breweries peppered throughout Michigan and some pretty decent ones locally (Griffin Claw). Still, the big ones (Bells, Founders) are hard to beat.

The roads are as bad as you may have heard, cavernous pot holes and lovely expansions joints everywhere. Trucks are allowed to carry double the normal load so our roads go to poo poo in no time, and lol at there being money to fix them. There are random dirt roads peppered in cities/suburbs even, which blows my loving mind. It's pretty sad and you will immediately notice the difference in road quality passing into Ohio or Indiana. People here will commute distances that shock me, an hour or more each way just to live way out in the middle of loving nowhere. I don't understand how there's any sort of car culture here with roads like this. I immediately got rid of my lowered car with stiff springs because poo poo is unbearable.

Housing prices are getting stupid since there are a lot of folks with auto money. It's ridiculously competitive where we live if you're looking to buy (went through this 3 years back).

I used to live in Cincinnati before moving up here, and I loved it there. It sounds like it's only gotten better since I left. I think that's coincidence. :v: It feels like the winter is a few weeks longer here on both sides of the calendar vs. Cincy, which is unfortunate. I don't think I'd choose to live here if it weren't for the job I have, which I don't think I could do many other places. I wish there were some elevation change, at all, here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread