Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
I'll have to do some testing but I think the back dodge of stagger might be the only move in the game with I-Frames for all types of attacks? The timing is pretty tight though, and the lack of stamina regain from it might make it not that useful anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Sundance Shot posted:

I'll have to do some testing but I think the back dodge of stagger might be the only move in the game with I-Frames for all types of attacks? The timing is pretty tight though, and the lack of stamina regain from it might make it not that useful anyways.

What, that thing has i-frames? I wrote it off as completely useless.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

This game could've really used some extra work before release. Even going into early access wouldn't have been the end of the world. I wonder why Devolver wanted to rush the game out as a "full product" when it's missing a ton of really important features like ranked play and 2v2. There's a ton of glitches too.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 12, 2017

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nice one!

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Obligatum VII posted:

What, that thing has i-frames? I wrote it off as completely useless.

I've definitely met some stagger players who make good use of it. I have a suspicion it might be able to dodge any attack with low enough range.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The stagger back dodge does in fact have i-frames, but it's still on some hard timing.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Devs put up a post on the Steam forums that's worth a read, it touches on the current technical issues with the game and goes into plans for the future. It's encouraging stuff, I think.

It also goes into detail on some balance changes in the upcoming patch (next couple days), every style is getting touched. Kahlt loses some of the stamina bonus on absorb in exchange for a short protection buff and quicker refill of the ghost damage, Windfall avoids will now inflict a stamina penalty on the attacker and reduce their stamina regen briefly, Forsaken parry got its stamina bonus chopped in half, and Stagger side dodges will now have less range.

They're also nerfing gold-linked jab spam by reducing the range and stamina impact on guard for the fastest attacks, while increasing the stamina impact of guard break moves.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 14, 2017

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Those look like all around pretty good changes. Although I still think parry is frankly low risk/high reward. The recovery time to get back into a block after whiffing a parry is pretty drat small and every time I've feinted out of an attack and successfully lured out a parry against a player, they just proceeded to either be guarding my next attack, or, if it was a slow attack, actually just reaction parrying that one. I don't get it, what am I doing wrong, am I not attacking as quickly as I actually can out of a feint without realizing it?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I've gotten pretty decent at fighting parry users so far. I'm pretty sure you can queue an attack during, or even before the feint animation triggers and it usually goes through unless its a really slow attack. I think it also depends if the other player is queueing attack for their parries. If they properly queue an attack to trigger after their parry, they can get a guaranteed Front Kick or similar speed move to hit you, but I'm pretty sure they're locked into that move even if they whiff, which gives you more time to land your attack. If they're not queuing, then they only get a guaranteed quick attack in, or they're giving you time to counter-counter them.

Also don't underestimate how important stamina is. I'm almost afraid windfall could be over-buffed this patch.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
just beat the game for the first time, anyone wanna take me under their wing and let me join their school?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I could make a school if you really want. It'd be a Windfall one.

What's your starting style and are you happy with it or do you want to learn a new one?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
im windfall through and through, that'd be rad

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Ahkay, if you friend my account, you can go to a bonfire and find me under friends in the 'social' option (you have to change tabs). I believe you can join the school through that.

The deck is based around moves that dodge. Against a human, you want to try and anticipate the type of move your opponent will start with, and initiate into them with a move that dodges it. Even if you choose wrong you still sometimes connect. Maybe we can spar a bit later and I can explain it better.

E: Ok lets not have that link up forever.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 19, 2017

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Sent you an invite!

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
quick note for anyone interested, patch 1.06 dropped and it added a bunch of fixes (and broke other things), including six new masks: all of which are available as an easy pickup behind the stone map on the Guidance Bridge (for now, devs are going to remove them at some point and have them purely as drops/rewards)

e: for reals, pick em up.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

other things to note is that Marked Ones were supposed to drop their stuff, but they didn't, and now they do again

as for actual balance changes, some numbers got moved around on each of the defensive abilities (everything restores less stamina, khalt is now kind of rear end) and spamming is less effective. Quick jabs and such have less range and they hurt your stamina less when you block them, actual block-breaking moves like crushes and charge moves hurt your stamina a lot more now. Shockwave is more expensive and less effective, but gives you a stamina restore now like the healing move. Armor/Weight affects stamina drain more, and you keep shards after death now. They filled in the middle pit in the donut arena and the library staircase has guard rails now so it's harder to get knocked off the side (there's breaks in the guard rails so you can still knock someone out though)

seems to be a pretty good positive balance patch aside from making khalt not so good anymore.

oh also they increase the dodge iframes from 2 to 4, so that's going to be pretty annoying

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I can confirm that the new masks hidden behind on the guidance bridge are pretty snazzy.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you can beat up the marked ones for their masks now too, btw, they drop them like Jinn drops his. kind of rare but they do drop

My favorite change has been keeping shards on death. A lot more swords and gauntlets coming out, sword duels loving own and it's a shame that 50% of the people you fight will quit the match when they see a blade. Can't wait for bo staff

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 22, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

While many of the changes are for the better, I really, really dislike the change to dodge iframes. It completely changes the way the game is played, and not in a good way, since you can just back dodge out of literally everything with zero consequences. Why use Kahlt's absorb or Windfall's dodge when you can play Forsaken and just dodge out of the way of anything you don't feel like parrying? Who cares about the stamina changes when you can just back off and reset to neutral any time you like?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Helter Skelter posted:

While many of the changes are for the better, I really, really dislike the change to dodge iframes. It completely changes the way the game is played, and not in a good way, since you can just back dodge out of literally everything with zero consequences. Why use Kahlt's absorb or Windfall's dodge when you can play Forsaken and just dodge out of the way of anything you don't feel like parrying? Who cares about the stamina changes when you can just back off and reset to neutral any time you like?

Try forward dodging when they back dodge and gold canceling out of the dodge into a quick attack? In the past I've found a dodge canceled into a high range moves covers and absurd amount of distance very quickly. That said, if the normal dodge proves too appealing over the special style moves, they'll probably up the stamina cost more.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

the changes to jab ranges really messed up my deck in a few spots, ugh, I have a bunch of spots where I go into punch and I basically am guaranteed to hit air

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I mean it's not just back dodges, you can dodge into attacks and the iframes will make them whiff, and avoiding big sweeps with side-dodges is a thing (whereas Windfall or Stagger dodge will get turbofucked if they try that poo poo). Meanwhile, they reduced the range on a ton of poo poo so step-canceling isn't nearly as good of an option for closing distance any more.

It's real bad.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I posted a while back that I want to give this game a shot when servers are more stable, now I'm seeing just overall negativity towards the game itself.

Should I wait longer?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'd wait for the next patch to see how things shake out, yeah. I'm still hopeful, because there's honestly a whole lot more the game does right than it does wrong, this is just frustrating and a lot of people are venting (I admit to being salty as hell myself). I'm gonna keep playing, but probably not as much until I see what their next step is.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Unfortunately it looks like this game has no staying power.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

1.07 dropped tonight, and apparently everything is good again.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

800 people is pretty high numbers for a fighting game on PC, Blazblue and Guilty Gear combined have like 500.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Yardbomb posted:

800 people is pretty high numbers for a fighting game on PC, Blazblue and Guilty Gear combined have like 500.

Bear in mind this decline is on going, at this rate in a month it will be <300.

My point is, if you are on the fence I would skip the game unless you want a single player experience.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Ahh yes stage 3, bargaining.

That's straight up just a fact my dude, PC fighting game numbers are always mediocre at best, I've said this for a while.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

That's straight up just a fact my dude, PC fighting game numbers are always mediocre at best, I've said this for a while.

http://steamcharts.com/app/304390

:confused:

And yes For Honor is declining as well but its rate of decline is much much slower than Absolver's, which is quite aggressive.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I still mess around on it too but For Honor didn't really sell itself as a fighting game, that and you can blame your team in FH which keeps some people around, in strictly 1v1 stuff people get mad and quit easier because they don't have anyone else to blame.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Yardbomb posted:

I still mess around on it too but For Honor didn't really sell itself as a fighting game, that and you can blame your team in FH which keeps some people around, in strictly 1v1 stuff people get mad and quit easier because they don't have anyone else to blame.

Either way its disappointing. Absolver also had some really really high sales compared to other fighting games so I was waiting to see if those numbers could stick around. Even just a constant 1k would be 5% of its all time high but its not even going to come close to holding that retention.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Absolver really should have launched with the 2v2/ 3v3 game modes

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
Are the team game modes even going to be that fun? I guess hanging out with your mates makes everything better but I'm just imagining it either being people separating off into pairs and fighting away from each other or it just turning into a massive clusterfuck of people accidentally kicking their friends in the face.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

I haven't been playing absolver much only because a bunch of other games dropped recently. I plan to come back to it.

Sundance Shot posted:

or it just turning into a massive clusterfuck of people accidentally kicking their friends in the face.

You just described the appeal of team modes in absolver.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
This game also launched with a solid 7+ days of the servers just outright dying every night for ~5 hours during primetimes and that probably hamstrung a lot of the potential for a playerbase with the following week of high-profile releases.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I am happy to report that the game is fun again.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

I got this for PS4 last night and and I must say I am enjoying getting my rear end thoroughly handed to me time after time. I feel myself getting better with each beating though. My parry timing is getting better, I'm learning new moves, and better ways to chain these moves. I look forward to when I am finally good enough to hand out the asses.

1v1 has been a lot of fun and I am looking forward to 2v2 and 3v3. Game is fun. That is all.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

illBilliam posted:

I got this for PS4 last night and and I must say I am enjoying getting my rear end thoroughly handed to me time after time. I feel myself getting better with each beating though. My parry timing is getting better, I'm learning new moves, and better ways to chain these moves. I look forward to when I am finally good enough to hand out the asses.

1v1 has been a lot of fun and I am looking forward to 2v2 and 3v3. Game is fun. That is all.

they removed the region lock, and i want new people to play around with, so, add me on the ps4 if you wish to learn some sweet moves or punch people with a buddy

i am lolnumbers on the sony playstation 4 entertainment system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

spaceships posted:

they removed the region lock, and i want new people to play around with, so, add me on the ps4 if you wish to learn some sweet moves or punch people with a buddy

i am lolnumbers on the sony playstation 4 entertainment system

Sounds fun! Just added you. I am usually on around 8 pm EST.

• Locked thread