Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Keep posting, guys, plz~
I'm real bad (I struggled to beat Rislyn) but just reading this thread has helped point out to me some stuff I obviously missed, and I've gotten much better. I want to take a hammer to my combat deck and just start over from scratch and tinker around.

I see a lot of people posting about Windfall & Forsaken, but basically nothing about the Absorb stuff. I haven't tried it myself, but I know the random NPCs with it seem way more annoying than any of the other NPCs? I don't think I've ever fought a PC that used it, so maybe that should be telling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Crigit posted:

I joined that school, but it's not clear to me how to switch styles. I could equip the bare handed deck it gives you, but how do I actually switch to stagger so I can use its defensive special?

Meditation -> Combat Style tab, select it, change.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Did you beat Jinn and go through the door in the arena and talk to that guy? If so, I dunno, I guess it could be a bug!

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

I like this game. But I don't understand anything. Is the combat deck combos or just moves?
I mean... combos are just moves... a combat deck is what happens when press attack in succession in different stances? It's how your character moves

quote:

How come every single item I equip reduces my damage?

Because stuff weighs you down and decreases your speed. You gain armor but lose speed. How much slower you're willing to move for how much protection you want depends on what you want, I'd figure.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yeah I have no idea, as Windfall/Stagger, I basically use almost all the lightest equipment I have while still looking cool but i might also be garbage, i am not sure. I'm certain I'm too lazy to crunch the number on weight per defense and breakpoints or w/e

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Mercedes posted:

I'm all about Fashion Soul- er Absolver. I need the fur collar. Where can I get it?

I don't know if the cairns are fixed or not, but I got mine from the top of the Arena place where there's a Marked One that absorbs, forgot name. But I fell down from his place a little on to a small ledge that had a cairn.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

guy
my friend
sir

you got cheesed and you are still really mad about it, what people are trying to illustrate to you is that you are making a case that this is some fatal flaw in the game, and what people are trying to illustrate is that perhaps the problem is closer at home

i swear to you if it was as simple as gold chaining a jab and a side kick that would be a major issue with the game

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Yeah I have no idea how to even begin with deck construction. I feel like I have the play mechanics down, but actually constructing a deck from scratch feels hard to get my head around. I basically try to loop strings that start fast and punctuate in a slower hit, with as much movement/approach variation as I can get, then have all my guard breaks and stuff on Y/Alternate ??? I play Windfall or Stagger but...

I confess, I've been using the Stagger school deck a lot because my own decks feel weirdly opaque and unreliable, and only seem to get worse the more I mess with them, lmao I seem to do pretty decent in PvP with it, but I'm clearly operating at a disadvantage and scrapping hard against people who are competent.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/906492026576830465

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

the changes to jab ranges really messed up my deck in a few spots, ugh, I have a bunch of spots where I go into punch and I basically am guaranteed to hit air

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I play in like 15~20 min bursts or while listening to podcasts or music, v. zen. I finally made a windfall/stagger Hybrid deck I don't totally hate. Its a little slow, but has a decent damage. Still have a bunch more stagger moves to learn

e: I should add I think I'm still garbage at this game. I really wish I was better because the game looks so cool when you get into a flow and just own people, the smooth movements and flow are great

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 8, 2017

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

the aesthetic and cool animations and stuff, and how satisfying it is to pound on people is worth bootin up absolver for a little 10~15 minute spat every day or two, and I honestly think there could be an amazing, stellar, world class game underneath all this stuff if the Systems and such were done a little better - if it had like a little more single player stuff to entice and draw in people would help maybe too. (A bit more story might be cool too, but at the same time, the sort of bare bones setting is almost part of the aesthetic as well, so maybe don't flesh it out too much?)

Like I can see where Absolver 2 would be a GOTY, but I dunno if the Idea of Absolver will make it that far.

I just really really want to love this game and play more of it, but it makes it hard sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I still like to log in and punch some randos, mostly NPCs, and just tweak stuff, while I listen to music or podcasts or something. Feels good and really satisfying, just something pleasant about the animations.

Ambivalent fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 13, 2018

• Locked thread