Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
I've only had minimal online time (both due to the game's server issues and my own lovely internet), so take my perspective with that in mind, but I don't agree that the game is subject to spamming combos or serious interface issues.

For the former, it sounds like the full array of options to address quick moves aren't being utilized. Even if you use a style like Windfall or Forsaken whose school abilities require precise timing for narrow payoffs, you can still incorporate attacks with inherit defensive properties into your deck to counter the spam. I've had good experiences with a few of the quick attacks that start with some built-in parry frames, as well as low sweeps and uppercuts that avoid high attacks. You still need decent timing to make those work, of course, but they are options. The trick is learning these in the first place, though, which can mean AI grinding. That part isn't fun.

On deck building, the interface could definitely be better but it's far from inhibiting. Spending time in the meditation screen and thinking through combos, when to feint attacks, what to build into your non-combo attacks and what stance those leave you in for starting up a new combo, all of that is fascinating to me. It would be helpful to more easily sort available moves in each stance by school, dodge properties, interrupt, and such, but I'd put money that it's a QoL feature that will find its way into a future patch. Now is the time to ask for that change, not give up on the game because of its absence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogenes of Sinope
Jul 10, 2008
It's too bad, as the core concept of the game is so neat. Building your own kung fu style really appeals to me, but the balance issues are tough to overcome in this.

• Locked thread