Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Pinny posted:

Is the entire game just those 3 areas you see on the map at shrines? I thought it was just a starting zone...
As far as I know, yeah. The pve content is really just there to get you ready for pvp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Q8ee posted:

so it has the same gank mechanics as For Honor? If you're focused on a dude in the middle, and a 2nd opponent to the right attacks, if you hold right it'll block all his attacks? does it also give you invulnerability during that time? so blocking someone's attack keeps you safe if someone else attacks at the same time?
Regular blocking is full 360 coverage and prevents all non-weapon damage. It's not something you want to be doing for very long in a fight with someone, let alone multiple people, as that's a great way to lose all your stamina and get stomped. It's also not a situation you'll find yourself in very often unless you're fighting pve or really get into 3v3 pvp once that's released.

One of the four fighting styles has a parry they can throw out, and that can be used to get anyone coming at you from the side if you time it right.

Anyone coming up with some theorycrafted bullshit on game balance right now needs to put some time into the game first.

e: I don't really mean that in a lovely "lol get good" way, just that this game has a lot going on and direct comparisons to other games are going to fall flat in some pretty critical ways. There are some surface-level comparisons to be made to stuff like Dark Souls or For Honor, but there's so much more complexity to the combat there than either game that any such comparisons should be taken with a massive grain of salt.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 30, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Red Mundus posted:

How do you punish after a successful parry? All of my moves get blocked after I parry someone.

It works against AI but not players they just block it.

Use faster moves, or guard breaks. The window between when you parry and when they can block is very short.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Obligatum VII posted:

They trained you wrong. As a joke.
Dear sloclap, please add squeaky shoes to the game.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Knifegrab posted:

This game is better on a controller rather than kb/m right?
Stance changes are a little quicker/easier on kb/m, defensive moves (parry, dodge, etc.) are easier on controller. Pick your poison.

I think an xbox elite controller would probably be the best of both worlds, but you'd have to be crazy good at the game to begin with for your choice of input method to really make a meaningful difference.

O. Henry O-Face posted:

Ive only played as windfall but I thought your higher mobility as windfall makes you do more damage
Mobility has a relatively minor impact on damage, and as windfall you don't need to rely on your regular dodge to be fast (which is what mobility really affects), so heavy armor windfall can be a thing if you wanna go that route.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 2, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Yeah, much as I'm enjoying the game, I'd probably wait for them to get the server issues under control. Hopefully that'll be this week, but we'll see.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Frozenfries posted:

I only play windfall, tho I dabble in stagger a bit for the funny forward stumble it has. Never had an issue against spamming unless the lag kicks in.
Yeah, likewise. If someone's built built a deck with spam in mind (often leaving half the slots empty) then their options are inherently limited and they'll get wrecked by someone with a more versatile deck that knows how to punish their predictability.

Like, I'm real bad at gold chaining and still win way more than I lose so far just by playing head games with people.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Would probably be a good idea to mention which style you use with a given deck, since your offense should be going hand in hand with your defense.

I play Windfall:

I don't know how well it'll work for anyone else, but so far I'm winning more than I lose with it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

A few rules of thumb I've been working by:

1. Once you build a deck in a way you think might work for you and feels okay when messing around in meditation, go use it for a bit in combat trials without making any modifications to get a feel for how it handles against humans. If/when you take a bad loss, try to figure out whether or not it's your deck not giving you the options you need or whether it's your own (lack of) skill that's holding you back. Understand that there's no such thing as a perfect deck and sometimes you'll just get your rear end handed to you by someone who's figured you out and happens to have the right tools in their own deck to counter you.

2. I happen to like having one stance (back left in this case) that just loops a fast jab/sweep combo that I can use to punish someone if they're at low stamina or if they seem like they're bad at dealing with that kind of constant pressure. It's not something you want to rely on exclusively, so have some good mixups in your alternates, but I do find it to be a useful tool.

3. If and when you do make changes, don't go swapping out half the deck all at once. Even swapping out just one move can make a big difference in how your deck plays. This is especially true of your alternate attacks. Try to limit yourself to swapping out one alternate attack or combo string at a time (at most).

4. That said, don't be too afraid to just drop your deck completely if you're not feeling it. If you know you need to change something about your deck but you don't know what, it might be everything. While I've mostly settled on my current deck, what's not shown is the dozen or so decks (plus minor iterations on same) that may have had a couple ideas I liked in concept but just didn't work out in practice.

5. Learn to use your defensive ability. If you're a Forsaken player that isn't parrying or a Windfall that isn't dodging, you're gonna get your rear end kicked no matter what deck you're using.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Devs put up a post on the Steam forums that's worth a read, it touches on the current technical issues with the game and goes into plans for the future. It's encouraging stuff, I think.

It also goes into detail on some balance changes in the upcoming patch (next couple days), every style is getting touched. Kahlt loses some of the stamina bonus on absorb in exchange for a short protection buff and quicker refill of the ghost damage, Windfall avoids will now inflict a stamina penalty on the attacker and reduce their stamina regen briefly, Forsaken parry got its stamina bonus chopped in half, and Stagger side dodges will now have less range.

They're also nerfing gold-linked jab spam by reducing the range and stamina impact on guard for the fastest attacks, while increasing the stamina impact of guard break moves.

Helter Skelter fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 14, 2017

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

While many of the changes are for the better, I really, really dislike the change to dodge iframes. It completely changes the way the game is played, and not in a good way, since you can just back dodge out of literally everything with zero consequences. Why use Kahlt's absorb or Windfall's dodge when you can play Forsaken and just dodge out of the way of anything you don't feel like parrying? Who cares about the stamina changes when you can just back off and reset to neutral any time you like?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I mean it's not just back dodges, you can dodge into attacks and the iframes will make them whiff, and avoiding big sweeps with side-dodges is a thing (whereas Windfall or Stagger dodge will get turbofucked if they try that poo poo). Meanwhile, they reduced the range on a ton of poo poo so step-canceling isn't nearly as good of an option for closing distance any more.

It's real bad.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'd wait for the next patch to see how things shake out, yeah. I'm still hopeful, because there's honestly a whole lot more the game does right than it does wrong, this is just frustrating and a lot of people are venting (I admit to being salty as hell myself). I'm gonna keep playing, but probably not as much until I see what their next step is.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I am happy to report that the game is fun again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I still enjoy it, but I'm mostly just waiting for a ranked mode before I really dive back into it.

• Locked thread