Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

"drat hot here." Tom says as he gets off the plane. "I think before we rush off in every which way, it might be good to organize our investigation. It seems like people want to check out the library, Detective Petris is going to talk to the police. We're probably going to go to the asylum and Mr. Henslowe's house as well. I don't think we need all of us to check out the asylum. Maybe the padre and the doctor can go there and see what they can find out. As for Henslowe's house, I think we should investigate it as a group. Maybe I'm just concerned over nothing, but we don't know what the situation there is. So what do people think?"

Just throwing out some suggestions about how we should go about things. I definitely think the house deserves a majority of the group or all the group to investigate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Dr. Peyton Westlake

"I agree, we should proceed to the house and see what we can find there"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

"We don't want to crowd any one place. Group of guys show up somewhere asking questions? That's going to worry people. I think I'll see if there's a local paper around here. Maybe one of the reporters has heard something that's worth checking into but not worth writing an article about."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

"We could send a couple of us into the house and the rest could wait outside. Just in case there's any issues. I think we need to be careful with the house. Every where else I don't think we need to worry about there being any trouble."

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
We're in research mode, so if people want to explore avenues of interest, I'm sure they can and then meet back up - this is free form time, and its about midday.
Just say what your character wants to look at - such as a trip to the police station or local papers, then we can run through those scenes quickly before getting on to picking a destination.

I'm trying to balance the research section - there is info out there, but it all take hours of realtime to get, so there is plenty of scope for people going their own way, but I'm trying to not just teleport you guys around to much.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

"Seems like most of us have some individual research to follow up on. That might be the best way to go right now. As for myself I'm thinking of finding out where the locals congregate and see what information they might have about Henslow or anything strange that might be tied into this mystery."

Not sure how things should go, but Tom is going to use Oral history to see what the locals know.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Tom Shaw

Tom spends a couple of hours walking the streets asking people questions about the two locations - no one he speaks to has heard of the Henslow estate, and while people know of Joy Grove, it never goes much beyond "Oh yeah, the nut house."

It seems neither location is in the public eye much.

A dead end unfortunalty.

What kind of Cthulhu adventure is this eh? A asylum with no terrible backstory or mysterious deaths.
It ain't right I tell ya.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Dr. Peyton Westlake

"Before we head to the house, I'll stop by and speak with the local medical examiner. Perhaps he noticed something odd when performing Henslowe's autopsy"

Oral History to talk with the medical examiner about his findings, Reassurance to have him let me see the body and/or autopsy report, Forensics to see if I notice anything unusual with the body/report"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Det. Morgan Petris Cryptography 0/1

"Right, if there are no objections, I'm going to see if Savannah's PD is as good as Boston's."

I'm confirming taking the Cop Talk trip.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Would I have found out if the Henslow house has people in it or not with the oral history check? I'll spend if need to be to find out.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
John Larkin

"It might be worth it for me to stop by the newspaper myself. The morgue might have articles about the history of this place and the Henslows beyond what you could find, and even if it doesn't, well, get a drink in them and reporters talk, especially to other reporters."

Heading to the Newspaper. Spending a point of Reassurance to go through the morgue and talk to reporters/pour booze down their throats

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'll go to the newspaper like I mentioned. If necessary I'll spend library use, flattery, reassurance, evidence collection to try and search through their personal archives for anything around the dates we have to work with. If I turn up an article that might match what I'm looking for I'll see if the reporter is still on staff and if so I'll start talking to them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Det. Morgan Petris

The police station is dirty and obviously understaffed, but the man on the desk looks board. This is not a high crime area, just a run down one.

"Can I help you sir?" he asks.

John Larkin

Johns search through the newspaper archives gives him some information about Joy Grove - the most recent report says that the current head of the hospital, Dr. Lawrence Teake, is on the verge of retirement. His protégé, Dr. Jonathan Keaton, is the heir apparent. This is news from the last few weeks.

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

Tom finally finds someone who is a bit more talkative, he's an old man, but once the Henslow's are mentioned, he light's up.

"Oh yeah, I do know them! I did some work for old Mrs Henslow a few year back." He goes into old man remembrance mode, happy finally to find someone who will talk to him.

"A bad business that, Mrs Henslow lives up at Moss Island peninsula - it's called that because whenever it rains hard the place gets cut off from the mainland. But her son has been in an out of the asylum for more than a decade. no-one knows what happened to him, but it broke him."

Erm, You've had no reports that Henslow is dead. I'm not sure where you guys have got that from, sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

That's a 1 point library use spend for John and 1 point oral history for Tom.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Dr. Peyton Westlake

"Oh, you say that Henslowe is still alive? Well then. I guess I'll take a visit to Dr. Lawrence Teake and Dr. Jonathan Keaton. Perhaps they can give some insight into what happened with Mr Henslowe."

Oral History to speak with both doctors about Mr Henslowe and the asylum itself. Will use a point of Reassurance to get them to open up more than they would normally"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The two doctors are part of the Joy Glade scene, so will have to wait until you get there I'm afraid.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

No reason to beat around the bush. I pull out my badge.

"Officer, Detective Petris, Boston Police. I've been asked by my superiors to look into a person of interest, one Mr. Douglas Henslowe." I spell the name. "We believe he's involved in criminal conspiracy and he's had several tickets reserved in his name for Savannah." Not quite true, of course, but there is a conspiracy with Winston Waters and maybe my brother, even if it isn't criminal. "Now, I don't mean to walk into your jurisdiction and act like a G-man, so I'm coming here hat in hand to pay my dues and ask if you happen to have any sort of records on Mr. Henslowe that would help in our investigation."

Breaking out the Cop Talk, let's do this.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Det. Morgan Petris

"Henslow, Henslow." The officer mulls it over for a few seconds. "Oh yeah, the crazy guy. Got caught in the streets covered in blood, raving and brandishing a knife a few of years back, got sent up to Joy Grove. I think he's still there, we were up there a while back, something about nurses and orderlies stealing the supplies. One of the guys up there said they saw him.

Never figured out what he was on about, court ordered him locked up until he is considered safe."

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Dr. Peyton Westlake

"Shall we proceed to the house from here? If we find anything there, we can attempt to ask Henslowe about it at the asylum"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
John Larkin

Staff turnover at Joy Grove, hmm? That....really wasn't all that interesting in itself. It was just the standard progression of time. Still, if Teake was leaving, he might be more inclined to open up on the Henslowe case....no more career to protect. And why was Keaton the heir apparent? It was probably just seniority or something, but still might be nice to know if there were more there. As he goes to meet up with everyone else, he wonders if there's anything he missed.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

don't sweat to much. We're still in the arrival seqence. Things get more interesting once you head to an adress.

You've got all the info you could at this point. I'm just saying this because I know how worrying about missing things in a cthulhu game is a thing.

Don't worry, there will be chances to male stupid choices soon!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

To the house then?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Sent up to Joy Grove? The letters sounded like he'd checked in voluntarily. Great. Just great, Henslowe.

"Thanks. You've been a great help for our investigation." I nod as I take my leave.

Yeah, let's do it. To the house!

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

"Yes, I think we should head to the house. I found out that Mrs Henslow, Douglas's mother lives there. She should be able to illuminate things. Also I found out that the house tends to get isolated from the mainland during during storms. The road out there gets flooded isolating the place."

ready to go.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Yup, let's go to the house

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Arthur Adams

Arthur sets down the telephone in the hotel cafe, weathering the heat in a smart seersucker suit. "The gentlemen at the historical society were quite friendly. Useless, but friendly." He withdraws a Gaulois Bleu from an ostentatious green-and-gold cigarette case, waving it around to offer one to his companions. "Which feels a little close to home, at the moment. I'm not entirely sure why Mrs. Winston-Rogers took me on. I'm no detective.

"Of course, I understand the value of discretion, because I understand the value of a name. The sorts of things her father might have been mixed up in, whether it was witchcraft or murder or just running moonshine to Canada, it stains like blood. It'll fade with time, and a great deal of money--a library here, a park there. But mainly time. And you can't buy that."

"I suppose there's nothing left to do but head out to the peninsula. I'll hire a car. At the very least, a look at old Henslowe's mental state might give us something to go on. What do you think, Dr. Shaw?"

I'll not trouble you with an investigative spend since we know the scene is tapped out.

quote:

Name: Arthur Adams
Benefit: You may use your Credit Rating pool to call on personal connections in any field of endeavor. These contacts will generally be relatives, old schoolfellows, and similar people of your social class.

Drive: In the Blood
Pillars of Sanity: Rationalism, human dignity, beauty of art and culture
Sources of Stability: Mother (Florence Cushing Adams), Sister (Margaret Adams Lodge), Confidante (Hazel Kaufman)

Investigative Skills

Academic

Accounting 2
Anthropology 1
Architecture 3
Art History 3
History 1
Languages 2

Interpersonal

Bargain 1
Bureaucracy 1
Flattery 2

Technical

Art 4

General Skills

Athletics 8
Credit Rating 6
Disguise 6
Driving 4
Firearms 5
Fleeing 6
Health 8
Preparedness 6
Riding 4
Sanity 9
Scuffling 6
Sense Trouble 4
Stability 10

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 15, 2017

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Henslow Estate.

The drive from Savannah takes you deeper into the marshes. The red dirt road meanders beneath the sagging moss, the way ahead like a tunnel through the swamp, dappled with patches of light, choked with biting gnats. You can smell the clay and mud on the tires.

A rickety wooden bridge crosses a patch of land you assume is what turns the place into an island during the rains, ahead you see the house. It is surrounded on three sides by tall iron spike topped walls.

The air smells of damp and rotting wood, the marsh. Every tree is draped in spanish moss and Giant palmetto bugs flit through the air, battering themselves against your car windows.

The driveway is barred by a large wrought iron gate. A bell hangs to one side. The wind blows leaves and airborne seeds through the air.

Gah, sorry! work is busy and the toddler keeps stealing my free time by not sleeping!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Arthur Adams

"Shall I?" Arthur opens the car door and tests his shoes against the marshy soil. He tries the bell, shrugging and rolling his eyes as if to say that the gesture is as obligatory as it is futile.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

"Looks a little foreboding doesn't it? Makes for some nice pictures though." Reggie snaps some pictures from various angles.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Henslow Estate

The bell rings out, and is immediately answered by the baying of hounds. The noise comes closer quickly and three large dogs come into view. They are massive animals, and have some mastiff in there mix, but they are not purebred by any means.

They also don't look friendly.
They reach the gate and bark and snap at you from the other side, after a few seconds a voice rings out. "Get out of it you lot! Down! DOWN I SAY!"

A middle aged man carrying a pitchfork comes up the gate, and the dogs begin to circle him. He is wearing dirty but well maintained cloths. "What are you lot doing here? Visitors ain't welcome here!"

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Dr. Peyton Westlake

"Good afternoon sir, we mean no malice or malintent. We have been hired by a good friend of Mr Henslowe's. Whatever happened to Mr Henslowe seems to have happened to our employer's father as well and it is our belief that both circumstances are a result of an incident that they were both involved in. We believe that Mr Henslowe's estate may hold some answers. We are prepared to compensate you for your time and generosity with assisting us in this matter"

Using Reassurance to put him at ease

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

"Mr Henslow ain't got no friends, and you aint been invited here a I ain't invited you!" The man's tone is agressive, and the dogs pick up on this and start to bark again. Mrs Henslow ain't seeing people, so you lot can get lost!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

"Sir I'm not claiming to be his friend. But something happened a few years ago right before he went away for a bit and we're trying to figure out what. I feel like something is being hushed up. Is there any way I could talk you into letting me speak with her? Five minutes of her time and if she isn't sold on what I have to say after that I'll get up and leave no questions asked." I'll burn reassurance points if I have to

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The HenslowEstate.

"Well, the way I see it, that business was all cleared up when Mr Henslow was put away, unless your cops, We aint got nothing to do with you."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

God, Savannah is too drat humid. And this guy is pissing me off.

"I'm a cop, buddy, so I'd suggest you straight up your act before I have to straighten it up for you. Now if you cooperate, I might not run you in for suspected conspiracy."

Could be Cop Talk, could be Intimidation. Take your pick!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Henslow Estate.

The mans eyes narrow.
"A Conspiracy? What are you on about? You got proof you are supposed to be here and have. I know all the cops around here, and you ain't one of them."

This would be a disguise check! our first skill check of the game. I'm not going to tell you the difficulty. It's D6 + whatever you want to spend!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Disguise: 1d6+2 7

"Yes. We have reason to believe that someone is covering up something important." I show him one of the letters "This is a letter addressed from the Master of the house addressed to our clients father and it raises enough questions that we had to get on a plane and try to pay him a visit"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Henslow Estate

The man looks hesitant for a second, then pulls the dogs off to a small guest house. Once they are safely locked away, he returns and opens the gate.

"You better be coming in then." he says. "I'm the groundskeeper, Curuthers. Follow me please."

He leads you towards the house. Standing proud amidst the greenery and mud, the Henslowe mansion is a classic plantation house with tall, shuttered windows and towering columns ringing porches and balconies. From a distance, the house is shining white, but up close it is streaked with mud and moss stains and takes on a greenish tint from the
sullen light through the heavy leaves.

Once you enter, you realise the building is not as large as the grand exterior suggests. The ground floor rooms are high ceilings and wooded floors, Curuthers takes you through the rooms quickly, a dining room, a parlor, a study with dust covered animal heads and seats that look like they have never been sat in. The kitchen smells of rotting food and there is a loaf of bread moldering on the counter. You pass a servants stairwell and a den. There are three separate porches.

"The grounds streach to the east and west, but you won't find much there. Mrs Henslow is upstairs, but I'll ask you to not disturb her. I'll be in my cottage if you need me."

He waits a few seconds for any questions before heading out.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

Dr. Peyton Westlake

"Having lived with the Henslow's for some time, I'm sure that you must have been witness to the unfortunate decline of Mr Henslow. Did you notice anything out of the ordinary? Anything that you can't quite put a finger on?"

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

After getting permission to enter the estate, Tom made his way inside. He looked around the house taking in the details. He let the others deal with the groundskeeper. Possibly the last servant they have here, he thought to himself. When the tour was over, Tom made his way back to the study.

Going to the study, Tom planned to look to see if Mr Henslow left any books, letters, or anything else that might shed light on what he and Mr. Walters were involved with.

Library Use, Occult Studies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Arthur Adams

Arthur can barely hold his tongue as he takes in the grounds, the house, and all of its...aromas with ghastly fascination. In a certain light--say, a sickly light shining through the branches of ill-kept trees to reflect off the pale green moss eating away at it--the house is beautiful in its decay. But as he passes inside, he finds what passes for living quarters frankly squalid.

But Arthur knows how to talk to a certain kind of Southerner. Speak fondly of the good old days through a haze of polite lies. "Mr. Curuthers, I believe this is the grandest old house I've seen in the Southern United States. A lesser man would have allowed the estate to crumble, as it seems you have no one to help you. Have you been managing all by yourself for some years now?

Let's see where Flattery gets me.

Not to mention an Architecture spend, if that's helpful! And if I get little or no reply from the groundskeeper, I'll wander through to the study on the lookout for anything of interest to an Art Historian.

• Locked thread