Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Detective Morgan Petris, Boston PD

"Dear Morgan..." I find myself rereading the letter aloud on the plane (a goddamn plane--this lady is loaded to the nines!). It's been a while since anybody's written a letter to "Morgan", since most of my messages of late have been on Boston PD letterhead and addressed to "Detective Petris". "...Words cannot express my sorrow at the fate of your brother Francis..." I sigh and close my eyes for a second over that word. Talk about him like he's dead, why don't you, and like your father didn't have anything to do with it. I find myself skipping down to the end as the plane skids to a stop. "...If you wish to avenge him, come to the W--- A--- Hotel and inquire at the front desk about my chauffeur C---. The rest will be clear in due time. Yours till the world ends (my father's closing, and not hyperbole). Janet Winston-Rogers."

The moment I'm out of the plane I reach into my jacket for the cigarette case. Pilot said smoking in the plane would ruin the upholstery, the rear end. I light one up and blow a smoke ring into the cool night air. Alright, miss, show me what you've got...

quote:

(Athletics, Cop Talk, Driving, Evidence Collection, Firearms, Interrogation, Law, Assess Honesty, Sense Trouble)
Drive: In the Blood

Sources of Stability:
Officer Leslie Zacharies, Boston PD
Colleague on the force. Has accompanied Morgan to visit Francis on at least one occasion. Despite living in Boston, dislikes seafood.
Emily Petris
Mother, and sole surviving (with intact sanity) family member. Surprisingly good at card games.

Investigative Abilities (16/16) (Bold = occupational)

Accounting 1
Cryptography 1
Law 1
Occult 1

Assess Honesty 3
Bargain 1
Bureaucracy 1
Cop Talk 3
Credit Rating 3 free
Interrogation 1
Intimidation 1
Reassurance 1

Evidence Collection 2
Forensics 2
Locksmith 1
Photography 1

General Abilities (65/65) (Bold = occupational)

Athletics 8
Conceal 4
Driving 8
*Electrical Repair 2
*Explosives 2
Firearms 8
First Aid 4
Health 1 free + 8 = 9
Preparedness 4
Sanity 4 free + 2 = 6 (Pillars: The Law is sacrosanct; the old man is just barking at shadows)
Scuffling 4
Sense Trouble 8
Shadowing 7
Stability 1 free + 8 = 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Det. Morgan Petris

"Lemme take a wild-rear end guess," I say between puffs on my cigarette. "She's tried to talk to Mr. Henslowe but for some reason he's not responding. No letters, no telegrams, no phone calls, nada. So either he's avoiding you or there's some reason he can't talk. And you want us to inquire after him about why. And you've called multiple people out because you expect foul play." I take another drag. "How's my hunch?"

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Det. Morgan Petris

"Huh...dammit, hate it when I'm wrong," I chuckle as the lady flat out shuts me down. I turn to one of the others--obviously a journalist, going by his reaction, and look over the letter. "Not sure what kind of story you'd get out of a cold...hey, there's a return address right here!" What kind of fool is she taking us for?! "You don't look like the type to miss this kind of thing, missy..."

Maybe this can be flipped to a clue with a bit of Interrogation or Assess Honesty?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Sep 2, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Det. Morgan Petris

"Sun, storms, and...what else is in Georgia?" What can I say, I'm Bostonian by blood. "Alright, let's have a look at the margins here..."

I'll do that Crypto check.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Det. Morgan Petris Cryptography 1-1/1

I feel my eyes narrow at the 4th letter. They stay narrowed all the way through. Why does it feel like two completely different people wrote these letters? And do the marginal marks have anything else to add?

Yeah, I'll make that spend.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Det. Morgan Petris Cryptography 0/1

Okay, who spends that much time looking for a code that isn't there? Must be a habit of Mr. Henslowe's, to use coded messages. We'll have to ask about that when we land in Savannah.

---------------

Ye gads, it's too hot here! Why is everything hot? Why did I wear a dinner jacket on the plane?! The library is cooler, but not by a whole lot. I'm fanning myself with one of the tabloid periodicals while we talk.

"You know, this might just be my job talking, but if this thing is as big as Mr. Henslowe's been talking, I'll bet he didn't walk out with his good reputation intact. Maybe he's got a criminal record I--er, we--can look up."

That's an offer to check out the police station and use Cop Talk to see if Mr. Henslowe's been on the books, and for what.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Right, if there are no objections, I'm going to see if Savannah's PD is as good as Boston's."

I'm confirming taking the Cop Talk trip.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

No reason to beat around the bush. I pull out my badge.

"Officer, Detective Petris, Boston Police. I've been asked by my superiors to look into a person of interest, one Mr. Douglas Henslowe." I spell the name. "We believe he's involved in criminal conspiracy and he's had several tickets reserved in his name for Savannah." Not quite true, of course, but there is a conspiracy with Winston Waters and maybe my brother, even if it isn't criminal. "Now, I don't mean to walk into your jurisdiction and act like a G-man, so I'm coming here hat in hand to pay my dues and ask if you happen to have any sort of records on Mr. Henslowe that would help in our investigation."

Breaking out the Cop Talk, let's do this.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Sent up to Joy Grove? The letters sounded like he'd checked in voluntarily. Great. Just great, Henslowe.

"Thanks. You've been a great help for our investigation." I nod as I take my leave.

Yeah, let's do it. To the house!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

God, Savannah is too drat humid. And this guy is pissing me off.

"I'm a cop, buddy, so I'd suggest you straight up your act before I have to straighten it up for you. Now if you cooperate, I might not run you in for suspected conspiracy."

Could be Cop Talk, could be Intimidation. Take your pick!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Oh, great, the house is a mess, too. What I wouldn't give for cool rooms and cold...well!

The groundskeeper made mention of a camera? Well, there it is, right in the study. Let's see if Mr. Henslow conveniently "forgot' to develop something incriminating...

I've got Photography, let's use it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Thanks, Tom." Oh, there's the picture. And it appears to match the camera. The number and the names on the back...do they come from the same family, maybe? Maybe multiple angles on the same target?

I wonder if the people named are still alive... maybe the other pictures in the set would have been taken from their graves...

"Hey, Tom, weird question. You think the study has a family tree?"

• Locked thread