Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

Dressed in an old overcoat and hat, Tom stood by the front of the hotel waiting for the ride. He lit up his second cigarette while waiting. He didn't want to take this job, but he needed the money. Digs aren't cheap and people who need diggers was pretty minimal. There were rumors that that Germany was hiring diggers for work they had in the middle east, but that kind of employment felt unsavory. Way too much ideology tied up with their digs. Plenty of people without any scruples who'd work for them. Without dropping his strong stance against fake history, he had to take a chance. That's how he came to accept Ms. Winston-Rogers proposal. It wasn't even digging work. Something about investigating what happened with her father. Of course Tom knew the old man. In name and recognition only. He funded some unusual projects. At least that's what the rumors said. Not many people liked to talk about it or at least talk about it openly. When Tom encountered that kind of reluctance, he could guess why they hesitated to talk. They found something unorthodox, the same kind of subjects that he spent time researching. Unfortunately even being someone who researched the same kinds of things as the people involved with Mr. Winston's research didn't help him find out what they discovered.

The car pulled up to the curb. He dropped his cigarette butt on the ground and got in the car. The driver didn't say anything, so neither did he until he reached for another cigarette.

"You mind?" He asked. When the question went unanswered he lit up. He wondered if the driver was normally this quiet or if his employer told him to stay quiet. Tom decided not to inquire about the matter. He looked out the window and tried not to worry about the situation. He didn't like the secrecy surrounding this project. Something wasn't right about the situation and he hated going into situations where he wasn't fully informed.

The car started to slow down and he then took notice of where they were heading. A landing strip? Unusual to say the least, he thought to himself. When the car came to a stop, he got out before the driver had a chance to open the door. He dropped the remains of the cigarette he was smoking and looked at the hangar. His eyebrows raised in surprise as he saw what was in the hangar. The plane was expected, but someone decided to keep a library of books there as well. The books got his curiosity piqued and he went over to check them out.

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

Investigator Name: E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw
Drive: Antiquarianism
Occupation Benefits: By using Archaeology or a suitable Interpersonal ability, you can get access to museum storage areas or be allowed to handle artifacts. (You will likely not get to carry them away with you legally, regardless.) If you have academic credentials (both an Archaeology rating of 2+ and a Credit Rating of 3+), you can get access to closed stacks at a university library.
Credit Rating 4
Pillars of Sanity: Hypothetico-deductive reasoning can eventually explain every observation, Materialist, The basic goodness of human nature
Sources of Stability: Professor Carlyle (Miskatonic Professor), Richard Hamilton (Fellow Digger for hire), Grace Hoffman (ex-girlfriend associate professor at Miskatonic)

Investigative Skills
(Occupational skills = *)

pre:
Academic Skills:

*Anthropology	2	
*Archaeology	4
*History		2
*Languages	4
*Library Use	2
Occult Studies	2

Interpersonal Skills:

Assess Honesty	1
Bureaucracy	2
Credit Rating	4
*Oral History	2
Streetwise      1

Technical Skills:

*Evidence Collection 4	 

General Skills

*Athletics	10
Driving	        2
Firearms	4
*First Aid	8
Fleeing	        6
Health	        10
Preparedness	10
Sanity	        10
Scuffling	6	
Stability	8	
Stealth		1
Weapons         4
Background

Many people say that Tom was born in the wrong time. Tom never took much interest in the modern world. Most of his childhood was spent reading about classical times and ancient civilizations. When he went to college at the University of Chicago, he majored in History and Anthropology. During his undergraduate years, he spent a year working as a digger in the Middle east. It was there where he came across certain discoveries and research that he never came across during his undergraduate learning. He learned that hidden behind conventional history was the real history of the world. It seemed many researchers knew about the real history of the world, but refused to let the knowledge of it to escape. They rationalized that the world wasn't ready to know about these strange discoveries. Having found out about this real history, he found himself fascinated by it. This was what he wanted to devote his life to understanding.

After finishing his undergraduate studies, he found that the only one university would give him the opportunity to further his knowledge of the real history of the world. The university was Miskatonic University. While earning his P.h.D. he had the opportunity to travel the world exploring different ancient dig sites. His dissertation "Prehistoric eastern Melanesian Sea-god cults of the Phoenix Islands" concerned the remains of a cult in the Phoenix islands that worshipped an anthropomorphic sea monster that they both dreaded and worshipped.

Although his research concerned unusual archaeology findings, he parlayed his P.h.D. into work. He joined various expeditions around the world as a digger. At least that was his title, often times his employers found that he had a lot of experience in dealing with foreign cultures. Tom's hunt for more work brought him to the attention of Janet Winston-Rogers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

He took a drag off of his cigarette. Taking it out of his mouth, he let the ash fall to the ground.

"I don't think lady would bring all of us here and I assume pay us all for something that a good detective could do on their own. Wouldn't take much to get information out of this Henslowe fellow. If this situation only involved talking to that guy, she wouldn't need us. There's more to this. Henslowe is just the beginning. Also looking at the people she gathered up, I'm thinking she needed more than a P.I. or two."

He put his cigarette back in his mouth.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

He took the cigarette and crushed it in an ashtray.

"I'm in Miss. Can't turn down a paycheck like that." Tom walked over to the shelves. "What did he tell you about his research? I can pore over the documents here, but I'm interested in knowing what he told you. I know you mentioned that he didn't want to talk about anything that happened after 1924, but what about before then? When he was studying folklore, did he focus on any region of the world or type of folklore?"

Using Oral History on her to see what she remembers of her father's studies.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

"There has to be something in his papers or books to give us an idea about what we're going to encounter." Tom goes and looks at the books on the shelves. "I like having some idea about what I'm getting into before I'm waist deep in it."

Tom goes over the books looking to see if he can find a theme about them. When he sees that they are too general to gather information about what happened to Winston on that day. He then turns his attention to the letters. After looking over the letters, he says,

"I assume from the sound of it, this group is anxious to pursue Mr. Henslowe. That's fine, but we should make sure that we're not neglecting any information that can be gleaned from this collection of letters and books."

Tom then glaces around to see if he can find a local phone book.

Using Library use and Occult studies. Also before the group flies down to Georgia, I'd like to make sure we aren't neglecting any clues in the library. Also looking for a local phone book, to look up the addresses, as well as if there are any psychiatrists in private practice in the area.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

"On second thought, there's probably nothing here for us to look into at the moment. At least we have two addresses in Georgia to look into when we get there."

I thought the addresses were for locations locally. My mistake. I'm good to go.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

"drat hot here." Tom says as he gets off the plane. "I think before we rush off in every which way, it might be good to organize our investigation. It seems like people want to check out the library, Detective Petris is going to talk to the police. We're probably going to go to the asylum and Mr. Henslowe's house as well. I don't think we need all of us to check out the asylum. Maybe the padre and the doctor can go there and see what they can find out. As for Henslowe's house, I think we should investigate it as a group. Maybe I'm just concerned over nothing, but we don't know what the situation there is. So what do people think?"

Just throwing out some suggestions about how we should go about things. I definitely think the house deserves a majority of the group or all the group to investigate.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

"We could send a couple of us into the house and the rest could wait outside. Just in case there's any issues. I think we need to be careful with the house. Every where else I don't think we need to worry about there being any trouble."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

"Seems like most of us have some individual research to follow up on. That might be the best way to go right now. As for myself I'm thinking of finding out where the locals congregate and see what information they might have about Henslow or anything strange that might be tied into this mystery."

Not sure how things should go, but Tom is going to use Oral history to see what the locals know.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Would I have found out if the Henslow house has people in it or not with the oral history check? I'll spend if need to be to find out.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

"Yes, I think we should head to the house. I found out that Mrs Henslow, Douglas's mother lives there. She should be able to illuminate things. Also I found out that the house tends to get isolated from the mainland during during storms. The road out there gets flooded isolating the place."

ready to go.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

After getting permission to enter the estate, Tom made his way inside. He looked around the house taking in the details. He let the others deal with the groundskeeper. Possibly the last servant they have here, he thought to himself. When the tour was over, Tom made his way back to the study.

Going to the study, Tom planned to look to see if Mr Henslow left any books, letters, or anything else that might shed light on what he and Mr. Walters were involved with.

Library Use, Occult Studies

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

Since the book, Communion rites of Victorian Death Cults, caught his attention; Tom picks up the book and looks at it. He thumbs through it trying to find out if there is any spot in the book that looks like it was looked at more than other parts of the book. Besides glancing at the pages, he also checks the spine to see if the book was laying open to a certain spot long enough for the spine to be bent. After he's done checking the book, he puts it in his satchel for later perusal. He didn't worry about taking the book, since no one here would notice it going missing. He then goes over to the items caked in mud. Seeing the blue ink, he checks to see if there is any of that blue ink on either the flashlight or the shovel.

After checking the shovel and the flashlight, he grabs the camera. He checks to see if there's film still in the camera. If we're lucky, there's some pictures to be developed on the camera.

Checking the book. library use if need be. Also Occult studies on anything that jumps out in the book. Looking for signs of blue ink on the shovel and the flashlight to see if any of the ink got splattered on them. Checking the camera to see if there's any film yet to be developed on it.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

He picks up the photo and looks at it. After giving it a thorough examination, he says,

"Hey, Petris. Found a photo. There's some stuff written on the back, but I'm not sure what the names are supposed to signify. Any thoughts?" He hands the photo over.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

"I think it would be worth it to look around and see if there's a family tree or some kind of record of the family. Hmm, perhaps there's a family bible. Some families record histories in them."

As Petris looks at the photo, Tom asks him,'

"Any idea how old the photo is?"

He then whispers to Adams, "Good that we can eliminate that angle. He might have been involved in the antiquities market. If you know the right buyers, you can make a lot of money."

Someone with accounting might be able to find some evidence of where Henslow's money came from and went to.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

E. Thomas "Tom" Shaw

"I'm thinking that we should check the names we have against any records this town might have. Like the newspaper morgue and Register of Deeds. If there's a local museum in the area, I might check that out. How does that sound?"

• Locked thread