Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best one?
This one?
This one.
This one!
Swords are tools for killing Ms Kaoru
View Results

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

HOLY poo poo GUYS

IT'S MOTHER loving BACK!

RUROUNI KENSHIN!!!!!

That's right, the seminal historical romantic comedy shonen fighting series is back! Starting Monday (September 4, 2017) a brand new arc of Kenshin will begin serialization in Jump. This arc has Kenshin (plus pals, i think) journeying through the frozen tundra of Hokkaido. I have zero idea what is going to happen besides that!

The new series will be illustrated by Nobuhiro Watsuki and written by him and his wife, (Miss?) Kaoru Kurosaki. That's about it! I really hope this is good!

Feel free to talk about Kenshin in the meantime!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The original series is on Netflix. I should watch it and get caught up.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
:getin:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:stoked:!!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Hell yeah. I was just rewatching the Kyoto Arc on Netflix because it was so badass.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also there was a one shot recently about Shishio gathering his homies and it was pretty win.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I watched the live action movies recently, they're pretty neat.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Kyoto Arc is still one of my fondest boyhood memories of watching anime and I can't wait for more of the gang. :3:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
personally i could never get into the anime because of all the whiplash from serious scenes to kenshin making facefaults

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The anime had more of that than the manga fwiw, though I'd still give the edge to anime purely on the strength of the soundtrack.

The Kyoto Arc was basically peak mid-90s shonen, and I love it to this day. Everything they've done with the series since (including most of the manga following that arc) never really lived up to it. Especially the animated retelling of Kyoto they released a few years back. Obviously compressing it to 90 minutes was going to make the storytelling suffer but even so that poo poo was dire. You could certainly do worse than getting the original author to write an arc unencumbered by the need to conceal/reveal backstory though! Color me cautiously optimistic.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Is this 100% new material? Or is this adapting parts of the manga that never got animated (fyi I never read the manga)?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Neo_Crimson posted:

Is this 100% new material? Or is this adapting parts of the manga that never got animated (fyi I never read the manga)?

Is manga, man

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I used to watch this poo poo everyday day after school back when it ran on toonami and also when toonami ran after school. My only enduring memory is several probably villains making the firm suggestion that the battousai should in fact, die.

I presume this advice was ignored.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I remember reading the whole manga and i don't remember this.
Though this could be a spinoff or a continuation, i guess?

Also it could be the recurring trope: Rod Doesn't Remember Something Obvious.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I remember reading the whole manga and i don't remember this.
Though this could be a spinoff or a continuation, i guess?

Also it could be the recurring trope: Rod Doesn't Remember Something Obvious.

This is a brand new arc of Kenshin, never before seen

it's new manga

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I've watched the live action films and I thought it was great how they adapted Kenshin's lightning-quick fighting style. Dude would run and dodge like a maniac while hitting the mooks. Also, Sano's fight with the guy in the mansion when they were rescuing Megumi was basically a wrestling match. I loved how the two burst into the pantry and took a break to eat eggs and drink a bit to get more energy before continuing their brawl :allears:

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

wow

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
De gozaru

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
When I was a kid my parents got me the first 3 volumes of the manga on a whim, thinking I might like it. I was immediately hooked and it still remains the only manga series I've completed start to finish. One small thing I loved was Watsuki's little asides where he professed his love for Samurai Showdown. :allears:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I've noticed that Ruroni Kenshin is on CR. Should I watch it?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
:yeah:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

littleorv posted:

I've noticed that Ruroni Kenshin is on CR. Should I watch it?

Watch sub dub is awful

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Watch sub dub is awful

Who do you think I am?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

littleorv posted:

Who do you think I am?

littleorv

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

littleorv posted:

Who do you think I am?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally, we find out how Kenshin gets an incurable disease that kills him in a bad movie nobody liked.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I liked the 2 episodes that I watched

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I didn't actually finish this series (I got to the revenge arc where Kenshin gave his backstory) so I should probably get on that soon. I had no idea this was a thing so now I'm actually excited for a weekly manga again, after all these years.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Smoking Crow posted:

Watch sub dub is awful

The dub on CR is fine. The bad dub had poo poo like pronouncing Kaoru as "Corey", and should remain buried behind the shed.

Don't know why people rag on Kenshin's second dub so much. They actually pronounced names and words right, for god's sake!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
which dub is the one where he has a verbal tic

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wow, this is out of nowhere huh. I liked kenshin a lot so this is cool news

Relin posted:

which dub is the one where he has a verbal tic

doesn't he always have one

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Manga is... saved?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Wait. Did no one post the Prelude side story or its conclusion that have been up for a couple of months now?

Because that should probably go in the OP. Because Kenshin is cool and real, and he is my friend.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Manatee Cannon posted:

wow, this is out of nowhere huh. I liked kenshin a lot so this is cool news

doesn't he always have one

That he does, de gozaru.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/2dJazz/status/903669120620564484

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Caros posted:

Wait. Did no one post the Prelude side story or its conclusion that have been up for a couple of months now?

Because that should probably go in the OP. Because Kenshin is cool and real, and he is my friend.

I see, I see. if this new Kenshin takes place a bit after Yahiko no Sakabato then I'm all for it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Space Flower posted:

I see, I see. if this new Kenshin takes place a bit after Yahiko no Sakabato then I'm all for it.

As far as I can tell, it is a direct follow-up, yeah.

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with the major plot point from the end of the original that Kenshin isn't really capable of fighting properly anymore.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
What interests me is that I remember a bunch of author's notes and drawings in the manga related to a Hokkaido arc he had planned that he ended up not getting to because he decided to cancel the manga instead.

So, you know, this isn't just a cash grab. It's also something that actually was in the works when the manga originally ended almost twenty years ago.

...now to start figuring out how to slot this in as a prequel to Golden Kamuy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Caros posted:

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with the major plot point from the end of the original that Kenshin isn't really capable of fighting properly anymore.
Between the new character, grown-up character, and all the returning characters on the last page of the prelude there's at least a half-dozen other good guys around to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Those manga links are not available in my country....

• Locked thread